PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB's in the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urgent

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Fred Taylor, Ben Jarvus Green-Ellis, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, and Danny "Little Woody" Woodhead are each free agents at the end of the season.

With Taylor, Morris, and Faulk, the Patriots started the season with the oldest RB rotation in the league. Since each could depart or retire, they could potentially enter 2011 with the youngest rotation.

RB looks like a top need, and likely will account for one of the double-picks in the first three rounds.

I would prefer to make an attempt to sign Joseph Addai next off-season because Indianapolis has Donald Brown and Mike Hart. The only reason Indianapolis would be dissuaded to let Addai walk is if they're convinced that neither Brown nor Hart are ready to replace him.

He and BenJarvus Green-Ellis could make a good tandem. However, Addai, still young, probably prefers a featured role as oppose to a RBBC.

The problem with the youth moment approach as it pertains to the running back position is it's doubtful that Belichick would use both New England's and Oakland's first round picks outright, if 2009 and 2010 are a trend. It's even more unlikely that one of those picks could be used for a running back. I believe you sign a veteran running back if you're talking about the Patriots.

Personally, it would be nice to have a young workhorse running back for a change. Not to mention, this young running back (assuming he's consistent and you've a viable offensive line) could prolong Brady's career by taking some pressure off of him on offense.

Personally I don't like Addai and would rather have Michael Bush if we were going to go the free agent route .Bush seems to run harder and imo can sustain and give more punishment than Addai or Bradshaw. Bush has shown a rare ability that is very underated of catching the ball out of the backfield. Imagine if it was brady throwing passes to him what he could do with Gronl and Hernandez throwing blocks? I'd love to see this guy in a Pats uni, he'd be something special. I like Deangelo Williams too but I think he is going to be looking to break the bank.

Last edited:
Law firm and woody is doing a good job. You seriously think that Bill is going pay big $$$ for a RB. Keep

Law firm and Woody will be be here next year with draft pick....Bill is not going to to pay big money for a RB.

Law firm and woody is doing a good job. You seriously think that Bill is going pay big $$$ for a RB. Keep

Law firm and Woody will be be here next year with draft pick....Bill is not going to to pay big money for a RB.

Green-Ellis is an RFA after this season, assuming a new CBA is signed and FA rules remain the same. I'm guessing that Woody gets re-signed almost instantly after the season ( if he doesn't actually get an extension before then).

But that DOES leave 2-3 spots open (assuming that Taylor, Morris and Faulk are not re-signed). One of those may well go to a vet FA who's willing to be part of an RBBC (probably NOT Pierre Thomas or DeAngelo Williams). One possibility may be Chester Taylor - I think the Bears may (stupidly) cut him after the season. I mean, think about it - the guy's 31, performing poorly because of the Bears horrid O-line (and Martz's blocking scheme), but a "wily vet" with probably another season or two of decent production left in him. Fits the Pats mold perfectly.

BJGE, and Woodhead will be back. Say hello to Michael Bush! We spend 1 or 2 middle round picks to fill the roster. Problem solved.

I know some may disagree and I wasn't sure until today but no doubt in my mind I want Mark Ingram as the Pats RB next season....He has EVERYTHING.....Speed, strength, agility, vision, doesn't fumble.....He is the real deal and I want him with our first pick next season....

I know some may disagree and I wasn't sure until today but no doubt in my mind I want Mark Ingram as the Pats RB next season....He has EVERYTHING.....Speed, strength, agility, vision, doesn't fumble.....He is the real deal and I want him with our first pick next season....

Some people are down on spending a pick on him here. But not me. He is the real deal and I've seen enough to be confident he will be an excellent back in the NFL. Best back since Peterson except with better hands.

If Addai didn't have the history of being banged up, He would be my choice, and would be a great fit for the pats, as he is very competent in the passing game both in blitz pick up and as a receiver.

But given that, Bush would be my choice. he does not have the mileage on him that Addai or Taylor has and his size is something that we don't have at present. However I think his price tag is going to be high.

Demarco Murray for OU intrigues me maybe a trade up from our spot in the 2nd using the 4th from Maroney may be enough.

Last edited:
If Addai didn't have the history of being banged up, He would be my choice, and would be a great fit for the pats, as he is very competent in the passing game both in blitz pick up and as a receiver.

But given that, Bush would be my choice. he does not have the mileage on him that Addai or Taylor has and his size is something that we don't have at present. However I think his price tag is going to be high.

Demarco Murray for OU intrigues me maybe a trade up from our spot in the 2nd using the 4th from Maroney may be enough.

Demarco Murray has a pretty bad injury history in college. He has even hurt himself enough to need stitches in warmups.

BTW, I totally agree about Addai. I loved him coming out of college, but he's out with injury more than I'd like.

Last edited:
Murray, whilst sometimes plagued with injury, is the type of back that would fit well here. Yesterday's performance by him for the Sooners was Faulk-esque.

Does anyone know if LaMichael James from Oregon is likely to declare this year, if so would he be a possibility? I haven't seen much of the Ducks this year, but I certainly have heard alot of hype about him.

Some people are down on spending a pick on him here. But not me. He is the real deal and I've seen enough to be confident he will be an excellent back in the NFL. Best back since Peterson except with better hands.

It's nothing against Ingram, it's the position. If you could add any player in the league to the Pats' roster, would you really say "To heck with Haloti Ngata, DeMarcus Ware, Ryan Clady, Ndamukong Suh...I'm taking a running back"?

Regardless of Mark Ingram, this running back spot needs to be addressed before next season. BJGE is a nice player to have, but to me he's a good backup type, someone to put in one someone needs a breather or is hurt. Woodhead is a nice change of pace/3rd down option.

But what we need is a true #1 back. Maroney was supposed to be that but he didn't work out, and Taylor is old and not the answer. Maybe they go ahead and trade for Pierre Thomas, but something needs to be done about this, it's been a need since '06 now.

Regardless of Mark Ingram, this running back spot needs to be addressed before next season. BJGE is a nice player to have, but to me he's a good backup type, someone to put in one someone needs a breather or is hurt. Woodhead is a nice change of pace/3rd down option.

But what we need is a true #1 back. Maroney was supposed to be that but he didn't work out, and Taylor is old and not the answer. Maybe they go ahead and trade for Pierre Thomas, but something needs to be done about this, it's been a need since '06 now.

Ronnie Brown. If they price is right there is no other back Id rather have for this team when healthy.

It's nothing against Ingram, it's the position. If you could add any player in the league to the Pats' roster, would you really say "To heck with Haloti Ngata, DeMarcus Ware, Ryan Clady, Ndamukong Suh...I'm taking a running back"?

I do agree with you to a point....However, I think by having a clock eater like Ingram that would help the defense just as much as bringing in stud D player by keeping the defense off the field....The browns aren't the best D in the league but their offense ate up so much clock by running the ball that their D didn't have to be perfect....It goes both ways...

Ronnie Brown. If they price is right there is no other back Id rather have for this team when healthy.

Hey, he's a good player, but I doubt Miami lets him get into the Pats hands.

You post as if the 2011 need for a running abck is a surprise to anyone. When you go into the season with zero running backs signed for 2011, everyone knows that there is a need at running back.

Yes, we need at least two additions at running back, even after we tender both Green-Ellis and Woodhead at $1.8M each. The team obviously didn't see anything in the late 2010 draft, free agency or even in trades. That is somewhat surprsiing to me.

To me, the failure was indeed in this last offseason.

Belichick did very well to find Woodhead to fill the Faulk role. The alternative going into the season was Morris. Curiously, I was OK with Faulk and Morris as our 3rd down backs.

However, Taylor, Morris, and Green-Ellis as our primary running back(s) do not scare anyone. Adequate is the best adjective to use to describe this set of running backs.

For this season, we need to hope to have contributions from Morris and/or Morris in the stretch run and the playoffs.

It doesn't do any good to address the RB position if the O-line isn't addressed.

There are too many questions for the O-line.

LT - Is it Vollmer or Light?
LG -Is Mankins back and a happy camper?
C - Koppen has been getting manhandled this year and has numerous mental mistakes
RG - Neal is just about toast.
RT - Is Kaczur healthy? Is this Vollmer's full time position? Has Maneri progressed enough to take it over and allow Vollmer to play the left side..

Denver proved for years that a good to great O-line trumps a great RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes