PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB types - Chicken or the Egg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyDave

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
How important is a RB's "type"? We have Dillon now, who I would consider a "power" back. If we were to draft a RB, would he need to be the same "type"? If we got a smaller "shifty" type, would he work for us?
My question is does the team design it's running "style" around the backs it has? Or does the team get backs that fit into the style of run plays that they use? Or both? I just assume that teams want a certain kind of back for their own scheme. Just trying to figure out what our RB draft options REALLY are.

CrazyDave said:
How important is a RB's "type"? We have Dillon now, who I would consider a "power" back. If we were to draft a RB, would he need to be the same "type"? If we got a smaller "shifty" type, would he work for us?
My question is does the team design it's running "style" around the backs it has? Or does the team get backs that fit into the style of run plays that they use? Or both? I just assume that teams want a certain kind of back for their own scheme. Just trying to figure out what our RB draft options REALLY are.

Two things are going to govern the type of running back a team wants:

1. Whether the offense uses a man-blocking or zone-blocking scheme, and

2. How much they plan to run the ball as opposed to pass the ball.

If you're going to be a pass-happy offense, you'd better be bringing in a running back that can pick up the blitz and can catch the ball.

If you're a team with a zone-blocking front, you'd prefer a quick shifty back who can cut back against the flow of the lines.

In the case of #1, it's only going to be a slight consideration. Most NFL-quality RBs can adapt to the subtle changes in blocking. But if you have two RBs ranked close together, you'd probably opt for the one who's a better fit for the scheme.

To answer you're question, foolish GMs draft players and try to build a scheme around that player. The smart ones draft players who can function within the offensive scheme.

Last edited:
That's what I thought. That said, i need to do some reading, because besides White, they all seem kind of "light" to me.

Light: is a relative term...... Neither Williams or Marorey are "light" for ther height.... Both would appear to be serviceable runners that happen to be less than 6' tall but stoutly built nevertheless. I wouldn't mind either one on the Pats......

Lendale White is da man.

Feep_FLA said:
Light: is a relative term...... Neither Williams or Marorey are "light" for ther height.... Both would appear to be serviceable runners that happen to be less than 6' tall but stoutly built nevertheless. I wouldn't mind either one on the Pats......

Agreed. In fact, I shy away from RBs who are 6 feet or taller. Too upright. Once in a while you'll get an Eddie George, but most of the taller RBs don't do well in the Pros.

dryheat44 said:
Agreed. In fact, I shy away from RBs who are 6 feet or taller. Too upright. Once in a while you'll get an Eddie George, but most of the taller RBs don't do well in the Pros.

I can't shake the feeling the Pats want Maurice Drew. Tiny but fast and powerful with the thighs of a 6-footer, and brings instant value as a punt returner. An every-down back? Probably not, but a genuine offensive weapon. If he ends up being a less injury- and fumble-prone Kevin Faulk, I'm happy. Faulk is always missed when he's out of the lineup.

dryheat44 said:
Two things are going to govern the type of running back a team wants:

1. Whether the offense uses a man-blocking or zone-blocking scheme, and

2. How much they plan to run the ball as opposed to pass the ball.

If you're going to be a pass-happy offense, you'd better be bringing in a running back that can pick up the blitz and can catch the ball.

If you're a team with a zone-blocking front, you'd prefer a quick shifty back who can cut back against the flow of the lines.

In the case of #1, it's only going to be a slight consideration. Most NFL-quality RBs can adapt to the subtle changes in blocking. But if you have two RBs ranked close together, you'd probably opt for the one who's a better fit for the scheme.

To answer you're question, foolish GMs draft players and try to build a scheme around that player. The smart ones draft players who can function within the offensive scheme.
A caveat to this as regards the Pats, Cory and our friend Pokey Smith share two characteristics, they get better as the game goes on and they are good for grinding out the clock. Clearly Cory was the better of the two with more speed and an additional move or two, and was also a significant red zone improvement, but at heart they are a couple of 'shock absorbers' who love to return the favor.

Mavererik

The Patriots are not a one back team. They love to run the clock down so obviously a Dillion is perfect for that, but on the other hand they like to use shifty rb's with hands and speed in say 2nd and 5 or 3rd down situations. Of course any team including the pats would like to have a rb that can do everything like an Edgerin James but how often do they come along with his durability. So until the pats either draft a rb with those traits or trade for one or what not, they will stick to there big bruising backs for the main game plan and use the hands and speed in certain situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back