PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB Talent Unmatched

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone that says they would rather have Tate and Foster over our 4 guys is on Bath salts . Arian Foster has been great the last 4 or 5 years. Tate is WAY overrated by you guys. Our guys have youth and many less carries. The life of a running back in the NFL is roughly equal that of a doughnut in Rosie O'donnells line of sight.

And combined, the four of them have a cap hit under $3M (Woodhead's is the highest at $900K).

Not to sound like a homer but can anyone name a team with more talent at RB?

Ridley (23yrs old) - 4th in NFL in rushing
Bolden (22yrs old) - 206yds, 5.6ypc
Vereen (23yrs old) - 1st career TD today and showed well in opportunities.
Woodhead (27yrs old)- Excellent 3rd down back and situational runner.

That is a really good RB stable.

Hopefully when Jeff Demps comes back next year he doesn't take Woodhead's or Vereens spot.

I think Demps will get most of his touches as a Returner and maybe even WR.

That is a really good RB stable.

Hopefully when Jeff Demps comes back next year he doesn't take Woodhead's or Vereens spot.

I think Demps will get most of his touches as a Returner and maybe even WR.
I have high hopes that the Patriots are going to turn Demps into a Devin Hester ST weapon with the occasional RB/WR combo split. If Demps comes on in 2013, that's a racehorse stud farm of RB's for the Patriots.

Last edited:
I have high hopes that the Patriots are going to turn Demps into a Devin Hester ST weapon with the occasional RB/WR combo split. If Demps comes on in 2013, that's a racehorse stud farm of RB's for the Patriots.

Yup. His specialty will be Returning, but we'll find ways to get him the ball on offense too.

Vereen (23yrs old) - 1st career TD today and showed well in opportunities.

Pretty sure it was his 2nd! Didn't he score against KC last year?

The banter about who is #1 or #3 to 5 does not make much sense...

What does is that this is the best group of running backs that I can remember and very complimentary to the passing offense..

Offensive balance is a very good thing..

The talent isn't "unmatched." The talent is just different than a team like the 2010 Pats with Maroney, Faulk, Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris and BJGE. 2012 is younger and more decisive.

It's the timing and choice of running plays and the blocking. The Broncos and the Bills came out in Nickel and Dime packages to stop Brady, and they did a nice job of covering the receivers in many instances. The Pats countered with one back sets that made it possible to see what was on the field and go at the weakness, plus go no huddle to keep attacking that weakness.

The Patriots have backs that don't dance around - they hit the gaps hard and know how to get in behind their blockers.

What's the cost per yard for our backs vs Foster?

the question that is on my lips now.

PAts are riding Ridley pretty hard now.

over 100 touches.

Will Bill allow him to be a 300 touch RB this season?

over 100 touches.

I think 20 game is ok. Don't want more than that. Bolden is really looking like a good complement to him.

If you factor in $$$$/yd......Pats win hands down with 4 minimum wage guys.
After 5 weeks

#3 in rushing yds (165 yds/game)
#1 in rushing attempts/game (38.2)
#1 in rushing 1st downs...by a huge margin (63...next highest is 53)
#1 in rushing TDs (10)

And the complementary stats that show the value of the rushing game

#8 in Time of Possession (32:04 vs 28:47 in 2011)

#14 in Pass Att/game (37 vs 38 in 2011......but when you factor in the # of O plays/game due to no huddle... In 2011, Pats average 68 offensive plays/ game vs 78/ game in 2012.....very impressive)

#1 Points/game

I love our RB core and wouldn't trade it for any in the league as of now.

If people haven't noticed, Arian Foster is being run into the stone age on pace for 412 carries on the season, he hasn't been that effective with a 3.7ypc.

Ben Tate vs. Brandon Bolden, I need to see more of Bolden to make a call there.

I have no problem with the Pats running the ball nearly 50 times a game, controlling the clock and gassing opponents, but Ridley should not be getting 28 carries in a game, we need him to be effective in the playoffs.

Yesterday:
Ridley 28 carries
Bolden 14 carries
Woodhead 7 carries
Vereen 1 carry

Hopefully in the future:
Ridley 20 carries
Bolden 17 carries
Woodhead 7 carries
Vereen 6 carries

Last edited:
Carolina still has em beat I think although I haven't been paying attention to them. I want to see Vereen do more...almost anybody could of scored that touchdown. His receiving skills look promising. Does he not play because the other backs are better or is he just not very good?

I absolutely love this RB stable, I think it has potential to be the best in the NFL. But let's slow down here they still have alot to prove.

over 100 touches.

I hope not.. They need to moderate the number of touches he gets so that he has a solid career and not get run into the ground too quickly.

I don't really care about comparisons, I am just so happy we have a robust running game because this means a lot of stress is taken off Brady, and his career is going to extend for one or two more years just because of this.

I love our RB core and wouldn't trade it for any in the league as of now.

If people haven't noticed, Arian Foster is being run into the stone age on pace for 412 carries on the season, he hasn't been that effective with a 3.7ypc.

Ben Tate vs. Brandon Bolden, I need to see more of Bolden to make a call there.

I have no problem with the Pats running the ball nearly 50 times a game, controlling the clock and gassing opponents, but Ridley should not be getting 28 carries in a game, we need him to be effective in the playoffs.

Yesterday:
Ridley 28 carries
Bolden 14 carries
Woodhead 7 carries
Vereen 1 carry

Hopefully in the future:
Ridley 20 carries
Bolden 17 carries
Woodhead 7 carries
Vereen 6 carries

Excellent points.

I would like:
Ridley 15 carries
Bolden 15 carries
Vereen 12 carries (HE is the trick card here - if healthy, he will turn heads)
Woodhead 3 carries (but a few receptions also)

Next year add Demps and this will be off the charts with the diversity of options with which McDaniels will have to play.

It's enough to make opposing teams simply go cross-eyed.

Last edited:
I'm just glad that the Pats finally have a running game again, and its shaping up to be a good one. :)

How in the world is Vereen part of the equation? Based on what? His imaginary future accomplishments. His 2 carries for one yard? His 58 career yards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back