PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Ingram will probably be the most hyped college back to pros since Reggie Bush. If the Raiders pick is in the 4-8 range and he was there, it would be one of the hardest decisions for BB.

You can tell he'll excel in the pro's unlike Bush. This guy is a powerback with speed who can carry in 20+ times.
-------------------------------------------
If the 2010 draft goes well, the 2011 draft could be luxury picks.

What really gets me about him is that aside from the speed and power he also has moves, he's a very interesting blend of finesse/power.

Here's a highlight clip of him, it's simply a pleasure to watch him run.

YouTube - Mark Ingram "A Beast"

You are correct, he was benched--here is a direct link that talks about it. He even admits to being benched.

FWIW--he fumbled 4 times, not the 3 that emoney is stating. Jets, Colts, Saints, and Jaguars. 2 were against unbeaten teams, and 2 were at the goalline. All 4 came after the beginning of November, during the teams annual stretch run, which is even more important.

After his fumble in the Jags game, he carried the ball 1 more time for the season in the BAL game. 1 attempt for 2 yrds.

Laurence Maroney might see his role with the New England Patriots diminished because of a spate of fumbles - ESPN Boston

Thank you kindly, sir.

I knew I wasn't losing my mind...yet.:singing:

You are comparing proven commodities to unknown college players. Equating the two simply shows that you lack understanding or are willfully ignorant.

Umm, you do realize that BB traded Richard Seymour for a pick that will be used for a college player, does he lack understanding or is he willfully ignorant? I suppose we should never draft players, why not simply trade all picks for proven commodities? It makes so much more sense than taking a risk with an unknown college player :rolleyes:

What really gets me about him is that aside from the speed and power he also has moves, he's a very interesting blend of finesse/power.

Here's a highlight clip of him, it's simply a pleasure to watch him run.

YouTube - Mark Ingram "A Beast"

Talk about hitting the hole hard. Kid is a scary talent.
------------------------------------
For this year, I don't see ONE franchise RB. I see alot of good committee backs, but not that stud that can carry the ball alot.

I want to avoid C.J Spiller at all costs. Based on alot of analysis, he sounds too much like Maroney.

Here's nfl.com "weakness" description of C.J Spiller.

"Lacks the bulk to be a bell cow at the next level. Does not have the leg drive to be an effective short-yardage back. Dances too much in the hole and has too many negative plays. Struggles to sustain blocks in pass protection."

Buyer beware :D

For this year, I don't see ONE franchise RB. I see alot of good committee backs, but not that stud that can carry the ball alot.

I want to avoid C.J Spiller at all costs. Based on alot of analysis, he sounds too much like Maroney.

"Lacks the bulk to be a bell cow at the next level. Does not have the leg drive to be an effective short-yardage back. Dances too much in the hole and has too many negative plays. Struggles to sustain blocks in pass protection."

The kid is a true wrecking ball, with a jet engine strapped to it.

Alright, back to the matter at hand. Does anyone have any guesses as to which RB's will be released come July? (from other teams, that you would like to see us get)

Last edited:

I agree on Spiller, he's not my kind of back and he'd cost WAY too much. I'd like to see us get Westbrook and use him as a RB/WR, this would drastically reduce the beating he takes and I think it would be great to have him and Faulk mentor Ingram after we get him next year (*knocks on wood*), and we would then build our running corp around Ingram so take pressure some off of Brady while he's in the later stages if his career.

You are correct, he was benched--here is a direct link that talks about it. He even admits to being benched.

FWIW--he fumbled 4 times, not the 3 that emoney is stating. Jets, Colts, Saints, and Jaguars. 2 were against unbeaten teams, and 2 were at the goalline. All 4 came after the beginning of November, during the teams annual stretch run, which is even more important.

I never stated he fumbled 3 times. I stated any "issue" of fumbling in 2009 was basically based on that 3-game stretch. The last fumble was a problem BECAUSE of that 3-games stretch. Fact is there's a lot more data to lead us to think he won't have a fumbling issue going forward.

[qutoe]After his fumble in the Jags game, he carried the ball 1 more time for the season in the BAL game. 1 attempt for 2 yrds.

Laurence Maroney might see his role with the New England Patriots diminished because of a spate of fumbles - ESPN Boston[/QUOTE]

This is extremely disingenuous, and I've already mentioned it. He was benched in the Jags game, although I think he was getting rest in that game anway as Fred Taylor was in desperate need of some reps. The Texans game he was inactive, most likely to get rest not as some form of punishment. Both he and Faulk were inactive. In the Ravens game, only Faulk got more than 2 carries because it was 24-0 in the 1st quarter and the Patriots were in passing situations for the rest of the game.

Maroney was the starter in the Ravens game, but the running game was rendered useless based on the quick 24-0 deficit. Heck it was 14-0 before the patriots second offensive series. The team was in passing situation basically from the get go.

Umm, you do realize that BB traded Richard Seymour for a pick that will be used for a college player, does he lack understanding or is he willfully ignorant? I suppose we should never draft players, why not simply trade all picks for proven commodities? It makes so much more sense than taking a risk with an unknown college player :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: if you see no difference between the Seymour situation, and the Maroney situation then there is no point in furthering this discussion.

:rolleyes: if you see no difference between the Seymour situation, and the Maroney situation then there is no point in furthering this discussion.

I know the difference...... but I can make a scenario w/ Maroney that would get us a good 3 or 4 and put us in better position for filling holes.

Why let Maroney hit FA when you can get a pick?

I doubt BB wants to extend Maroney..... therefore trade Maroney for x and use x to help the team out in other areas.

If you think about it is a similar situation that lacks a BIG $$$$ contract as an outcome.

As you can see... Maroney is expendable.

Mike would love Maroney this year. If he works out for Washington then he gets resigned.

it's business baby..... and that is how it needs to be.

I should do work.... I can break it down much more if you want?

I know the difference...... but I can make a scenario w/ Maroney that would get us a good 3 or 4 and put us in better position for filling holes.

Why let Maroney hit FA when you can get a pick?

I doubt BB wants to extend Maroney..... therefore trade Maroney for x and use x to help the team out in other areas.

If you think about it is a similar situation that lacks a BIG $$$$ contract as an outcome.

As you can see... Maroney is expendable.

Mike would love Maroney this year. If he works out for Washington then he gets resigned.

it's business baby..... and that is how it needs to be.

I should do work.... I can break it down much more if you want?

First of all, can you put together a single sentence? All that spacing and .... make your posts annoying to read. Secondly, Maroney 2010 > 4th round draft pick. Do you know the success rate of 4th round picks in the NFL? It is more likely we will get NOTHING out of it than it is that we would get a player that adds more than Maroney does to the team. Not to mention you are absolutely creating all of this from thin air based on coach liking a player 4 years ago. Fourth of all, there are 0 likely replacements for Maroney on the roster. And of course last but not least you assume what BB will want to do with Maroney based on your personal disappointment of the guy which all stems from your continuous expectations of him based on where he was drafted 4 years ago.

First of all, can you put together a single sentence? All that spacing and .... make your posts annoying to read. Secondly, Maroney 2010 > 4th round draft pick. Do you know the success rate of 4th round picks in the NFL? It is more likely we will get NOTHING out of it than it is that we would get a player that adds more than Maroney does to the team. Not to mention you are absolutely creating all of this from thin air based on coach liking a player 4 years ago. Fourth of all, there are 0 likely replacements for Maroney on the roster. And of course last but not least you assume what BB will want to do with Maroney based on your personal disappointment of the guy which all stems from your continuous expectations of him based on where he was drafted 4 years ago.

Ah, but don't we hear every year from all the "experts" that teams are built with those late round picks?

I mean there has to be a reason why BB covets ALL his picks not just the early ones. Value, it's all about the value.

I do not know what they would do w/ a 4. We have (0) round [3's]

2 number 4's='s at least a good to middle 3rd rounder.
I know Shanahan would like Maroney.... as I stated I would fix other holes.
I like Spacing my posts..... because I am less likely to make grammatical errors and my sentences are smooth and flow well..... but then again spacing it out makes it choppy.
If I want to make points I space it out.... I'll try to condense it.

More picks = more likely hood of hits, especially in a deep deep draft such as this one. The benching of Maroney hopefully means BB is ready to move on and is disappointed w/ Lo-Mo... I am just using my brilliant intuition and analytical mind to make scenarios/moves that I believe are necessary .

what would Our 4 and Wash 4th rounder get us in return if we looked to combine them and move up. How do those draft equations work?

Ah, but don't we hear every year from all the "experts" that teams are built with those late round picks?

I mean there has to be a reason why BB covets ALL his picks not just the early ones. Value, it's all about the value.

:sigh:

:bricks:

Haven't I brought up this idea before? :) Yes, if Shanny is willing to offer a 3rd or 4th for Maroney, I'd certainly take it and run. We will be drafting a rookie RB regardless of if Maroney stays in New England, might as well get a draft choice before we let him walk next year.

Think we can pry Cooley and Moss for Thomas and Maroney? He needs a 3-4 OLB and Thomas has experience.
DW Toys

:sigh:

:bricks:

Ok check this out since 2002 these are our success picks in the 4th
1. Dan Klecko-Not here any more, but a solid contributor elsewhere
2.Jarvis Green- Pretty decent rotational player
3.Asante Samuel- We all know the story.
4.S. Gost- quality K

Again, I've resigned to the fact that Maroney will be here this year, but I figured for arguments sake I'd throw this out there

Think we can pry Cooley and Moss for Thomas and Maroney? He needs a 3-4 OLB and Thomas has experience.
DW Toys

That would be nice, but wishful thinking i'm afraid.

DW Toys

I haven't heard any news of BB shopping these guys around. But then again BB seems to like to operate behind the scenes and the announcement of the deals happening usually happen after the fact. We could see movement of these players on draft day for picks, much like the Ellis Hobbs trade. How much compensation could be had is anyone's guess and will be determined by market conditions.

oops! DTD running backs can indeed do well in the nfl. However, I don't expect Belichick to us a first on one. He would trade down first (and get good value for Spiller if he is there at 22).

Gerhart isn't a first round talent, I like him in the 2nd round. He'll be there.

A 10 on the wonderlic should be concerning though. Isn't that close to ******ed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back