PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree 100%. We'll have Maroney, Faulk, Taylor(?), and 2 rookies (or 1 rook. and 1 FA)

I just wanted to clarify, I didn't mean it's a waste of money or pick to draft a potential starting RB. My dispute was trading Maroney now with the expectations of absolutely having to draft a RB to replace him.

Also regarding the "benching" after fumbles. The patriots frequently switch off RBs series to series, just because the series ended in a fumble doesn't mean that's why they switched.

Not if the rookie is as bad at blitz pickup as most rookies.

Ugh. My heart can't take many more of those hits on TB. My freakin chest seizes up every time I see an opponents jersey blurring towards him.

It's not inefficient cost-wise. It's foolish football-wise to rely on a rookie 2nd-rd RB to save $1M.

1. It is a no cap yr
2. Lo-Mo is not a rookie in '11
3. you have no idea what they will do withthe number 1's in '11
one could possibly be a RB

you play for the year....... I play with the future in mind and what would make this team better.....

Lo-Mo is cheap to move and is a low risk high reward type player for Mike. If Lo-Mo had a more expensive contract it would be more difficult to move him.

It's an easy decision.... Too bad I cant make it.

Adios, Lo-Mo

Last edited:
Would love to pick up a 3rd by moving back in the draft or possibly trading a player so we could pick up Montario Hardesty.

I like Hardesty as well, but I think someone will grab him in the 2nd...maybe us!?

"possibly". This ignores any and all risk. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

I understand what you're saying, but I would expect the front office to be able to differenciate between a decent blitz pickup RB and a shoddier one. In other words, I think Maroney is slightly above average at pickups, and there's a good chance you wouldn't have to take a hit in that specific area.

For the record, I'm not pro-Maroney, or anti-Maroney. I also am not entirely convinced drafting an 'every down' RB would improve our 9th ranked rushing attack. I surely wouldn't be surprised if they did spend a 2nd or so on a RB to prepare for next yr when there's a chance Maroney will no longer be here, Or if they choose a RB in rd #2 because they want to improve over Morris, Taylor, or BJGE.

"possibly". This ignores any and all risk. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

First off, EVERYTHING involves some degree of risk. There is actually risk in NOT trading Maroney, the rick involved in how the team could be upgraded with the pick we could get for him v. how we do with Maroney.

Second, the relevant point is whether the draft pick that Maroney represents in trade could make more impact on the team elsewhere.

There are plenty of run of the mill backs that could carry the ball, they won't be anything spectacular but neither is Maroney.

If we don't trade Maroney we're failing to prepare, and that mean's we're preparing to fail :D I love trying to sound like what one's talking about by throwing in vague quotes that sound cool yet have nothing to do with the relevant point at hand.

1. It is a no cap yr
2. Lo-Mo is not a rookie in '11
3. you have no idea what they will do withthe number 1's in '11
one could possibly be a RB

you play for the year....... I play with the future in mind and what would make this team better.....

Lo-Mo is cheap to move and is a low risk high reward type player for Mike. If Lo-Mo had a more expensive contract it would be more difficult to move him.

It's an easy decision.... Too bad I cant make it.

Adios, Lo-Mo

Oh, lord please if you're listening please let the Pats draft Mark Engram next year with one of those 1st's. Thank you. AMEN.

I just wanted to clarify, I didn't mean it's a waste of money or pick to draft a potential starting RB. My dispute was trading Maroney now with the expectations of absolutely having to draft a RB to replace him.

Also regarding the "benching" after fumbles. The patriots frequently switch off RBs series to series, just because the series ended in a fumble doesn't mean that's why they switched.

emoney, he didn't return in those games that I'm speaking of...at all.

Last edited:
First off, EVERYTHING involves some degree of risk. There is actually risk in NOT trading Maroney, the rick involved in how the team could be upgraded with the pick we could get for him v. how we do with Maroney.

Learn what "risk" is. That's like saying there's risk in not buying a scratch ticket.

Second, the relevant point is whether the draft pick that Maroney represents in trade could make more impact on the team elsewhere.

There are plenty of run of the mill backs that could carry the ball, they won't be anything spectacular but neither is Maroney.

There's about a 15% chance or something that a 4th round pick will become a starter.

If we don't trade Maroney we're failing to prepare, and that mean's we're preparing to fail :D I love trying to sound like what one's talking about by throwing in vague quotes that sound cool yet have nothing to do with the relevant point at hand.

I love attempting to attack a VERY simple point that was highlighted with a very COMMON quote in order to justify your ridiculous position that has been given a lot of evidence against it.

Then again you think not buying a lottery ticket is a "risk", so I don't have much hope for this discussion.

Which RBs did you have in mind, exactly?

Mike Bell from New Orleans has similar numbers to Maroney, I don't expect him to be anything spectacular but neither is Maroney.

emoney, he didn't reurn in those games that I'm speaking of...at all.

Could you point me to which games and the situations you are speaking of? The 2nd to last game of the season is the only debatable one but I still say it's possible they planned on resting him anyway. (He and Faulk, the 2 most used RBs on the season also got the last game off to rest).

Get out of my head.... I swear you plagiarized me.

I don't get why more ppl r not on board?

Learn what "risk" is. That's like saying there's risk in not buying a scratch ticket.

There's about a 15% chance or something that a 4th round pick will become a starter.

I love attempting to attack a VERY simple point that was highlighted with a very COMMON quote in order to justify your ridiculous position that has been given a lot of evidence against it.

Then again you think not buying a lottery ticket is a "risk", so I don't have much hope for this discussion.

As far as this discussion goes "tickets" are players, so you're buying tickets no matter what, all that matters is deciding which ticket gives you the best chance. I'd rather get a pick and upgrade an O-lineman, receiver, LB or whatever. I think getting someone like Koa Misi, if still available in the 3rd, would make the team a lot better than keeping Maroney.

RBs are a dime a dozen, and since we do RB by Committee we really don't need a top talent to replace Maroney, a simple JAG will do.

Oh, lord please if you're listening please let the Pats draft Mark Engram next year with one of those 1st's. Thank you. AMEN.

Mark Ingram is awesome, I'd be in heaven if we could grab him and AJ Green next year.

Could you point me to which games and the situations you are speaking of? The 2nd to last game of the season is the only debatable one but I still say it's possible they planned on resting him anyway. (He and Faulk, the 2 most used RBs on the season also got the last game off to rest).

I apologize, but I can't remember which games they were, or what the situations were as well, but I swear to you he was benched at least a couple of times last year during the game.

Mark Ingram is awesome, I'd be in heaven if we could grab him and AJ Green next year.

Yeah, I'd take that combo in a heart beat, but I'd like to see us stick with the "roll tide" theme and take Julio Jones. :rocker:

Mark Ingram will probably be the most hyped college back to pros since Reggie Bush. If the Raiders pick is in the 4-8 range and he was there, it would be one of the hardest decisions for BB.

You can tell he'll excel in the pro's unlike Bush. This guy is a powerback with speed who can carry in 20+ times.
-------------------------------------------
If the 2010 draft goes well, the 2011 draft could be luxury picks.

As far as this discussion goes "tickets" are players, so you're buying tickets no matter what, all that matters is deciding which ticket gives you the best chance. I'd rather get a pick and upgrade an O-lineman, receiver, LB or whatever. I think getting someone like Koa Misi, if still available in the 3rd, would make the team a lot better than keeping Maroney.

RBs are a dime a dozen, and since we do RB by Committee we really don't need a top talent to replace Maroney, a simple JAG will do.

You are comparing proven commodities to unknown college players. Equating the two simply shows that you lack understanding or are willfully ignorant.

Mark Ingram will probably be the most hyped college back to pros since Reggie Bush. If the Raiders pick is in the 4-8 range and he was there, it would be one of the hardest decisions for BB.

You can tell he'll excel in the pro's unlike Bush. This guy is a powerback with speed who can carry in 20+ times.
-------------------------------------------
If the 2010 draft goes well, the 2011 draft could be luxury picks.

If we don't get our future back this year, and he's sitting there with our Oak. pick, and we pass him up that will most certainly be the end of the television, and my entire house for that matter:bricks:

I apologize, but I can't remember which games they were, or what the situations were as well, but I swear to you he was benched at least a couple of times last year during the game.

You are correct, he was benched--here is a direct link that talks about it. He even admits to being benched.

FWIW--he fumbled 4 times, not the 3 that emoney is stating. Jets, Colts, Saints, and Jaguars. 2 were against unbeaten teams, and 2 were at the goalline. All 4 came after the beginning of November, during the teams annual stretch run, which is even more important.

After his fumble in the Jags game, he carried the ball 1 more time for the season in the BAL game. 1 attempt for 2 yrds.

Laurence Maroney might see his role with the New England Patriots diminished because of a spate of fumbles - ESPN Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots