PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxboroFlyer

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As of now we have 5 on the roster. My question is who is going to remain, and who will be replaced?

1.) Faulk- pretty much a guarantee he's here.
2.)Maroney- Entering into a contract year you'd have to think he's going to really turn it on this year, so he should be a safe bet.
3.)Morris- plagued by injuries, up there in years. Not looking good for him.
4.)Taylor- Probably still has a little left in the tank, but could be upgraded. Questionable return at best.
5.)BJGE- I love this kid, and would like to see a little more of him, but who knows what the FO or BB really think of him. He's on the fringe as well.

So, what does everyone think?

Last edited:
Morris:I've had enough of Morris. He's good when he plays, but I'm tired of him getting injured. I hope he gets cut.

Taylor: I thought he was going to have an outstanding season with the Pats, but once again, he gets injured. Because him and Morris are over 30, they both need to be cut.

Maroney: He is what he is. He's not the game-breaker we all thought he would be, but can be a decent starter if given the ball enough. If it weren't for those critical fumbles, I'm sure he would've received enough touches to rush for 1,000 yards. Whether Maroney has pro bowl season in his contract year, I think he will want to leave. The way the Pats treat him after a fumble is pretty ridiculous. It's like they treat him like a child and give him a timeout. The Pats need to draft a replacement.

Ben Jarvis-Green Ellis: He's a fine back up but nothing more.

Faulk: He stays because he's consistent and gets the job done. Obviously, the Pats need to fine a future replacement in the draft.

Last edited:
I go to Mike Shanahan..... put a round 4 selection price on him..... and talk.

If he really is keen on Lo-Mo..... a 4 is do able

Mike loves his RB's...... he has coveted Maroney in the past. It would be a new system for Maroney... one he would do much better in. Mike is 1 of or if not the best coach in making solid running backs. Redskins do not have a franchise player.... i do not think.... $$$ is not an issue w/ Redskins.

I bring this up b/c what if Maroney has a breakout yr in Washington entering FA.... i'm sure they would want to resign him if he did.

Giving Maroney a chance w/ the Skins would behoove both teams into making some sort of fair transaction. Maroney was a 1 and he is currently in the wrong system w/ NE.

Mike loves his RB's...... he has coveted Maroney in the past. It would be a new system for Maroney... one he would do much better in. Mike is 1 of or if not the best coach in making solid running backs. Redskins do not have a franchise player.... i do not think.... $$$ is not an issue w/ Redskins.

I bring this up b/c what if Maroney has a breakout yr in Washington entering FA.... i'm sure they would want to resign him if he did.

Giving Maroney a chance w/ the Skins would behoove both teams into making some sort of fair transaction. Maroney was a 1 and he is currently in the wrong system w/ NE.

Oh, that's right I forgot all about the glowing words of praise Shanny had for Maroney the year we drafted him. The Skins could certainly use a RB.

Haven't I brought up this idea before? :) Yes, if Shanny is willing to offer a 3rd or 4th for Maroney, I'd certainly take it and run. We will be drafting a rookie RB regardless of if Maroney stays in New England, might as well get a draft choice before we let him walk next year.

Larry Johnson plus Maroney would be a nice Tandem for a guy who can turn copper into gold w/ his RB's.

Maroney would be cheap this yr. and if he succeeds he would get an extension, surely.

edit = (nothing to lose, everything to gain type scenario)

Last edited:
Haven't I brought up this idea before? :) Yes, if Shanny is willing to offer a 3rd or 4th for Maroney, I'd certainly take it and run. We will be drafting a rookie RB regardless of if Maroney stays in New England, might as well get a draft choice before we let him walk next year.

You have/did... and might I say I learn from the best..... it was great idea then and must be pursued now.

FYI we are rebuilding ppl.

Larry Johnson plus Maroney would be a nice Tandem for a guy who can turn copper to gold w/ his RB's.

Maroney would be cheap this yr. and if he succeeds he would get an extension, surely.

edit (nothing to lose, everything to gain type scenario)

They do still have Portis, right?

While a 4th for Maroney might be decent value, I'm not sure trading our only starting caliber RB who's under 30 makes a whole lotta sense. Morris and Taylor WILL sustain injuries at some point this year (could be for a week, could be for the season, when a RB hits 30 all bets are off). At that point our options would be:

1) Faulk as a full time runner (no)
2) BJGE starting (no)
3) Hope a rookie is ready to be the guy (not preferred)

Maroney is not ideal, but trading him makes little sense at this point IMO.

What on earth do the Patriots gain by doing this? Maroney is a known commodity, and you want to trade that away for a 4th? And then what? Rely on a ROOKIE to carry the entire load?

Unless you get a crazy good offer, trading Maroney makes no sense to me. The kid is a GOOD RB who has consistently run for 4 YPC. BB clearly likes to split the load between RBs. You trade Maroney away and you have basically nothing. Morris is oft-injured and just not as good as Maroney. Taylor is at the end of his career and who knows how many snaps you can get out of him. BJGE, come on now.

Very nice idea indeed, Mr. VJCPatriot!

This is how I want the RB core to be next year.

1. Power Runningback rookie ( would get shard carries with LoMo, a young powerback will help)

2. Laurence Maroney (either the backup or starter based on how he performs).

3. Faulk (3rd down, receiving, same ole)

4. BJGE (fullback). The kid has proved he can block well by being a good FB in situations. Insurance if RB
core is injured. (peyton hillis like)

Morris and Taylor gone. Three rbs age 25 or lower with ole reliable Kevin Faulk.

This is how I want the RB core to be next year.

1. Power Runningback rookie ( would get shard carries with LoMo, a young powerback will help)

2. Laurence Maroney (either the backup or starter based on how he performs).

3. Faulk (3rd down, receiving, same ole)

4. BJGE (fullback). The kid has proved he can block well by being a good FB in situations. Insurance if RB
core is injured. (peyton hillis like)

Morris and Taylor gone. Three rbs age 25 or lower with ole reliable Kevin Faulk.

I like this :D I might keep Taylor around though for cheap.

As of now we have 5 on the roster. My question is who is going to remain, and who will be replaced?

1.) Faulk- pretty much a guarantee he's here.
2.)Maroney- Entering into a contract year you'd have to think he's going to really turn it on this year, so he should be a safe bet.
3.)Morris- plagued by injuries, up there in years. Not looking good for him.
4.)Taylor- Probably still has a little left in the tank, but could be upgraded. Questionable return at best.
5.)BJGE- I love this kid, and would like to see a little more of him, but who knows what the FO or BB really think of him. He's on the fringe as well.

So, what does everyone think?

Another way to look at it is, which RBs cannot be upgraded / replaced?

The answer is they all can be upgraded or replaced. If they do nothing the Pats have an average group of NFL RBs, so certainly there is room for improvement.

Maroney is not ideal, but trading him makes little sense at this point IMO.

but keeping him makes less sense when you can get value for a player that underperformed. Maroney has no future in NE.

I'm all about rebuilding and a Washington 4 would be a nice pick.... in a deep draft

we have no 3 remember......

What on earth do the Patriots gain by doing this? Maroney is a known commodity, and you want to trade that away for a 4th? And then what? Rely on a ROOKIE to carry the entire load?

Unless you get a crazy good offer, trading Maroney makes no sense to me. The kid is a GOOD RB who has consistently run for 4 YPC. BB clearly likes to split the load between RBs. You trade Maroney away and you have basically nothing. Morris is oft-injured and just not as good as Maroney. Taylor is at the end of his career and who knows how many snaps you can get out of him. BJGE, come on now.

I think we could get a little more than 4th for him, and I don't think he's coming back after this season anyway, do you?

Another way to look at it is, which RBs cannot be upgraded / replaced?

The answer is they all can be upgraded or replaced. If they do nothing the Pats have an average group of NFL RBs, so certainly there is room for improvement.

All but 2 or 3 positions on the team can likely be "upgraded". That doesn't mean a whole lot though.

I think we could get a little more than 4th for him, and I don't think he's coming back after this season anyway, do you?

I don't think there will be a huge market for him and thus he won't cost a lot to keep. I do think BB values him enough to attempt to keep him here for relatively cheap depending on the market. Also, it's not always about whether he's going to stay. You can't trade everyone you don't think will be around the next year, especially when you have little to nothing to replace him with.

I don't think there will be a huge market for him and thus he won't cost a lot to keep. I do think BB values him enough to attempt to keep him here for relatively cheap depending on the market. Also, it's not always about whether he's going to stay. You can't trade everyone you don't think will be around the next year, especially when you have little to nothing to replace him with.

Couldn't we replace him with a rookie, as previously suggested?

Maroney can be a very good RB for the right team. New England is not that team. Trying to force a square peg into a round hole helps neither the Pats or Maroney. NE needs a power back a la Corey Dillon. NE needs a guy that they can give the ball to on 3rd and goal on the 1, the D knows a run is coming, and we still have a pretty good chance of getting the TD. For every 20+ yard highlight reel run Maroney has in NE he has about 5 dance around and lose 4 yard runs. A change of scenery would do both him and the Pats good, and if they get a draft pick for him all the better.

Remember, I'm not saying Maroney sucks. He IS good. Just that his run style and the Pats blocking scheme do not mix well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing