PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB Maurice Drew: Napoleon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darren Sproles was better than this kid coming out of college from Kansas St. They are almost identical in size and playing ability, though most would agree that Sproles was even more electrifying.

Last edited:
This guy is a great fit for the Patriots in the second round

Yeah, you heard me. This guy is short, strong, mean, shifty as hell, with good speed. The Patriots should be all over that. Plus, his UCLA OL wasn't nearly as talented as the Trojans' and look what he was still able to accomplish.

I'm looking forward to who gets more yards as a rookie: Bush or Drew. I'm comfortable saying that Drew will outgain Bush. One guy feels as though he has something to prove, an excellent characteristic for a rookie running back.

I seem to remember a short, powerful, shifty runner along the lines of Drew playing very well for Parcells and the Giants. At 5'7" (probably closer to 5'6") Joe Morris helped the Giants win a Super Bowl. Here are his stats: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/MorrJo00.htm

And our offensive should be better than the Giants in 1986. We have a better tandum of TEs, a better receiver in vastly underappreciated--not by us, but by the national media--Deion Branch, and Phil Simms isn't as good as Tom Brady. So we wouldn't ask as much of Drew as Morris was asked to basically carry the Giants offensive, which took a toll on his body, limiting his effectiveness after the heyday of the years 1985-86.

RyeMan said:
Darren Sproles was better than this kid coming out of college from Kansas St. They are almost identical in size and playing ability, though most would agree that Sproles was even more electrifying.

Except Drew is about an inch taller, 20-25 pounds heavier, and runs faster (at least he's faster on a track).

I love Maurice in the 3rd.

However, doing whiny diary things is lame. I like that he's got a chip on his shoulder, though.

bucky said:
Except Drew is about an inch taller, 20-25 pounds heavier, and runs faster (at least he's faster on a track).

Spoles was still more talented.

I am just saying that it is amazing that this kid is wondering if he will be taken in the first round.

He is late day 1 material at best.

RayClay said:

However, doing whiny diary things is lame. I like that he's got a chip on his shoulder, though.
But it is all the rage, like bones through your nose and hideous makeup, and the girls are worse.

RayClay said:

For me the value would be late 4th, or 5th. I really don't think he'd be on the field enough to justify a pick higher than that (and I know about Morris, played against him in HS)

RyeMan said:

This shows you how much you don't know about Maurice Drew. Drew might be the same HEIGHT as Sproles, but Drew is 20 lbs heavier. And its debatable whether Sproles is more electrifying. Sproles is almost STRICTLY a special teamer. He's not even really used as a change of pace back by the Chargers.

Drew: 5'6.5" - 207 lbs - 4.39 40 - 18 reps - 7.04 3 cone - 36" vertical
Sproles : 5'6.125" - 187 lbs - 4.47 40 - 23 reps - 6.96 3 cone - 33" vertical

No Way

RyeMan said:

Sproles was a perhaps a better Punt Returner, butI i doubt it. As far as a versatile KF II clone, there is just no way in hell was/is Sproles better than Drew.

Drew is a RB first, and a returner second. Sproles is a returner. Period. But Sproles doesn't own the NCAA Punt Return records, Drew does.

Drew has legitimate elusiveness and swivel-hipped running style as all good HB do. He was THE fastest RB in the nation at teh combine. And he can catch the ball well enough to be considered for that 3rd down specialty. Frankly, I can envision him on a Pats screen pass play being awesome.

My only concern is whether he can blitz pickup; That is a skill that can be taught, unlike running or catching ability, provided the guy has the smarts to recognize where the blitz is likely to come from, and is willing to stick his head in there.

I'd never consider Sproles as a eventual replacement for Kevin but with Drew I have no problem seeing that. It might even be an upgrade...

I've offered this before. KF can't backup Dillon 20-25 carries per game, all alone but Kevin and Mo with each geting 10 carries just might do pretty well. More than one way to skin a cat...

He has become my favorite second round or early third round RB choice.

DaBruinz said:
This shows you how much you don't know about Maurice Drew. Drew might be the same HEIGHT as Sproles, but Drew is 20 lbs heavier. And its debatable whether Sproles is more electrifying. Sproles is almost STRICTLY a special teamer. He's not even really used as a change of pace back by the Chargers.

Drew: 5'6.5" - 207 lbs - 4.39 40 - 18 reps - 7.04 3 cone - 36" vertical
Sproles : 5'6.125" - 187 lbs - 4.47 40 - 23 reps - 6.96 3 cone - 33" vertical

First of all DaBruinz I know enough about Drew and Sproles to draw a conclusion that they have much the same style in running and returning.

Secondly, I was refering to Sproles NCAA career just like I am refering to Drew's. Sproles wasn't just a special teamer at Kansas and he was as or more electrifying.

No **** he is a special teamer on the NFL team that has uh...LT!
Here is a snippet from the 60 NFL Draft Profile:

"One of the most prolific runners and all-purpose performers in college football history, Sproles rushed for a Kansas State career record 4,979 yards, a figure that ranks 11th all-time on the NCAA career rushing chart and third on the Big 12 Conference career record list. He also totaled a conference-record 6,812 all-purpose yards, which ranks sixth on the NCAA's career list.

In all, Sproles set 23 records while at Kansas State, including virtually every career, single-season and single-game mark for both rushing and all-purpose yards. He holds the KSU records for both career touchdowns (48) and career rushing touchdowns (45). Sproles totaled an incredible 24 career 100-yard rushing games, with five 200-yard rushing performances, and averaged 110.6 yards per game during his career.

Sproles finished fifth in voting for the Heisman Trophy with 134 votes (15 first place, 30 second and 29 third) and third in the Associated Press Player of the Year voting in 2003. He was runner-up for the Doak Walker Award and named the Big 12 Player of the Year by College Football News. Sproles led the nation in total rushing yards with a K-State single-season record 1,986 on 306 carries (6.5 avg.). He ranked third on the NCAA's rushing-yards-per-game chart at 132.4 and also led the nation in all-purpose yardage with a KSU record 2,735 yards (182.3 ypg.).

The Associated Press named Sproles first-team All-Big 12 in 2004. He finished the regular season ranked 11th nationally in rushing yards per game (119.82) and third in all-purpose yards per game (187.91). In addition to his 4,979 yards and 45 touchdowns on 815 carries (6.1 avg.), Sproles collected 609 yards and two scores on 66 receptions during his career. He also returned 40 punts for 378 yards (9.4 avg.) and a touchdown and had 35 kickoff returns for 846 yards (24.2 avg.). "

AzPatsFan said:
Sproles was a perhaps a better Punt Returner, butI i doubt it. As far as a versatile KF II clone, there is just no way in hell was/is Sproles better than Drew.

Drew is a RB first, and a returner second. Sproles is a returner. Period. But Sproles doesn't own the NCAA Punt Return records, Drew does.
QUOTE]

Dude, did you watch NCAA football when Sproles was at Kansas St?!? He was MUCH MORE THAN RETURNER!

In 2003 Sproles led the nation in total rushing yards with a K-State single-season record 1,986 on 306 carries (6.5 avg.). He ranked third on the NCAA's rushing-yards-per-game chart at 132.4 and also led the nation in all-purpose yardage with a KSU record 2,735 yards (182.3 ypg.).

He is only on ST's becuase he is on the CHargers...don't they have a pretty good RB? I forgot his name...BLT?

AzPatsFan said:

Drew has legitimate elusiveness and swivel-hipped running style as all good HB do. He was THE fastest RB in the nation at teh combine. And he can catch the ball well enough to be considered for that 3rd down specialty. Frankly, I can envision him on a Pats screen pass play being awesome.
Ditto all that. I'm hoping the Pats take him in round 2, 3 or 4.

He reminds me a lot of another RB that people said was too small - Barry Sanders. Sure, he hasn't proven he's nearly as good as Sanders, but he has a similar build, speed, agility, etc.. I can see him being a very decent NFL back, especially if used like Warrick Dunn, with another RB on the team who handles a fair amount of the short yardage work, to cut down on the pounding.

I like the attitude. He would fit right in come play-offs time, he would add to chorus of "We don't get the Respect." Either as a second Rd or third round pick I think he would be excellent value. Really depends on where the other running backs shake out. But would be a definite improvement in special teams and a real third down threat.

i think some team will take a chance on Drew in the second round. I don't know if it will be us, but i'd love to have this kid on our team. If we somehow get him in the fourth round, that would represent incredible value.

Sorry Charlie...

RyeMan said:
AzPatsFan said:

QUOTE]

Dude, did you watch NCAA football when Sproles was at Kansas St?!? He was MUCH MORE THAN RETURNER!

In 2003 Sproles led the nation in total rushing yards with a K-State single-season record 1,986 on 306 carries (6.5 avg.). He ranked third on the NCAA's rushing-yards-per-game chart at 132.4 and also led the nation in all-purpose yardage with a KSU record 2,735 yards (182.3 ypg.).

He is only on ST's becuase he is on the CHargers...don't they have a pretty good RB? I forgot his name...BLT?

Ryeman,

Were talking about the NFL. In the NFL, 180 # RBs, are returners. Period!! Even mini-Mack Herron was bigger than that, and he played in the 70's... 200# RBs play on a lot of clubs, in the NFL!

Sproles can benchpress more than Shawne Merriman.

He can't be too much of a slouch!

When the Pats played the Chargers last year , BB kept bringing up sproles. Dont be surprised if he likes drew. It would not be a shock to see one of our 3rd rounders spent on Drew or Hester simply for their awesome ST's ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back