PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB in the 3rd or 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of successful UDFA RBs . . .

I was looking up something else on FootballOutsiders today and happened across this gem for 2010 stats:

#1 DVOA - BenJarvus Green-Ellis, 34.5%
-- Next closest - Jason Snelling, 28.4%

#1 Success Rate - BenJarvus Green-Ellis, 74%
-- Next closest - Ricky Williams, 58%

In DYAR (total overall value):
#1 - Arian Foster
#2 - LeSean McCoy
#3 - Adrian Peterson
#4 - BenJarvus Green-Ellis
#5 - LT
#6 - Snelling
#7 - Rice
#8 - Mendenhall
#9 - Charles
#10 - Turner

Who was the last RB to gain over 100 yards against the mighty Alabama Crimson Tide defense? A school that is playing OUR DEFENSE in college!!!!!!!!!!

GreenEllis.

Last edited:
Who was the last RB to gain over 100 yards against the mighty Alabama Crimson Tide defense? A school that is playing OUR DEFENSE in college!!!!!!!!!!

GreenEllis.

That cracked me up when I heard that on the CBS broadcast last week. I'm not sure Lundqvist even knows BJGE is on the Pats. Here's some guys who haven't gotten 100 against the Tide since BJGE did. . Arian Foster - 2x, Jacob Hester, K. Moreno, CJ Spiller/James Davis, D. Locke-2x , D. McCluster-2x, Ryan Williams - Va Tech, M.Hardesty.
Anthony Dixon - Miss St 2x , Ben Tate - Auburn 3x, Evan Royster, M.Lattimore(He got close 93yds top freshman recruit in country this year..keep an eye on him), no Florida backs in 3 games.

That cracked me up when I heard that on the CBS broadcast last week. I'm not sure Lundqvist even knows BJGE is on the Pats. Here's some guys who haven't gotten 100 against the Tide since BJGE did. . Arian Foster - 2x, Jacob Hester, K. Moreno, CJ Spiller/James Davis, D. Locke-2x , D. McCluster-2x, Ryan Williams - Va Tech, M.Hardesty.
Anthony Dixon - Miss St 2x , Ben Tate - Auburn 3x, Evan Royster, M.Lattimore(He got close 93yds top freshman recruit in country this year..keep an eye on him), no Florida backs in 3 games.

We are doing the Alabama - Ole Miss game this weekend and it looks like Ole Miss is going to put 9 in the box and dare McElroy to beat them.

Hope to see Powe playing NT on Saturday.

After watching Wilfork lined up at DE against the Dolphins, I could not help but think how much better our run defense would be if we had Cody on the nose and Wilfork at DE.

We are doing the Alabama - Ole Miss game this weekend and it looks like Ole Miss is going to put 9 in the box and dare McElroy to beat them.

Hope to see Powe playing NT on Saturday.

After watching Wilfork lined up at DE against the Dolphins, I could not help but think how much better our run defense would be if we had Cody on the nose and Wilfork at DE.

I wonder how Cam Thomas would have been instead of Cody.

Bilal Powell, RB, 6-0/215 /4.52, Louisville -- He's game fast, that 4.52 estimate may be right on the track, but against Cincinnati he was beating some pretty fast defenders. He runs angry, similar to Cory Dillon. He's a good receiver. He's also got fresh legs since he didn't play RB until his senior year in high school and has been playing behind other RBs while at Lousiville. His new Head Coach (Urban Meyer's DC) scouted him in high school and is featuring him more this season. The kid got 200+ yards against Cincinnati in a losing effort. The bad -- he has a history of fumbles, but considering he's still learning the role, I'd bet some Ivan Fears TLC can improve that issue. He was into gangs in school, got stabbed in high school, was taken in by a high school assistant coach who turned him around. Guy was a good DB in high school too.

While we're discussing RBs:

Derrick Locke, Kentucky, 5-09/190 -- Good receiver and returner too.
Damien Berry, Miami, 5-11/210 -- I liked the way he ran against Florida State, and he can catch out of the backfield.
Vai Taua, Nevada, 5-10/215 -- A lot of miles on him, but he's a work horse.
Jeremy Avery, Boise State, 5-09/175 -- Always liked him.
Shane Vereen, California, 5-10/205 -- Jr., play maker.
Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati, 5-10/200 -- Jr., play maker. (ESPN color guy Bob Davies called him the best player on the field from when he called the Oklahoma @ Cincinnati game).
Doug Martin, Boise State, 5-09/201 -- Jr., Good looking kid.
LaMichael James, Oregon, 5-09/185 -- rSo., Stud.

Most of these are mighty mites, which is why Powell was a nice find, but I'd be happy to see any one of these kids in camp for NE.

I watched the Cinci-Louisville game too and came away impressed with Powell. His effort on that 85 yards touchdown run was outstanding.

Well, I've not seen Mark Ingram from Bama other than highlights. Tonight they'll be on ESPN2 9pm. Bama is 20 pt favorites, so he may have a game I guess.

I'll add that currently, I'm also normally in favor of using later picks for RB's. We will see.

Allen Bradford USC. Watch the USC vs Stanford game on ESPN3.com. Amazing power/speed combo. He dominated. He's like 6'0 230 but he can run past you or run over you. Every time someone tried to tackle him they'd just get pasted on the ground. The guy is so hard to bring down. Pretty good patience and explosiveness hitting the hole. Can move laterally better than you'd think for his weight.

Last edited:
I'm going to throw out the name Jaime Harper from Clemson. 6'0 - 230 he can run he can catch, and hasn't been used a whole lot this season. He is a junior, but he might declare if he isn't going to get touches his senior year.

Might be the kind of mid-round gem they are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes