Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Each Week We'll update it in preseason :p
Just to keep us feeling good

Bush - 6 carries 59 yards 9.8 ypc long of 44 yards . First team offense
Maroney - 9 carries 66 yards 7.3 ypc long of 27 yards. First team offense
Williams - 8 carries 21 yards 2.6 ypc long of 20 yards. Second team offense
Addai - 3 carries 3 yards 1 ypc long of 2 yards. Second team offense

Looking at that..if it wasnt for Williams's 20 yard run..he would of been between negative yards and 5 yards. Bush obviously had the biggest run..impressive. Maroney did very well aswell..Addai and Williams kind of dissapointed.

3 guys got long runs..expect well Williams didnt work with 1st group really

After seeing Maroney, I'm just glad the Colts didn't get him.

BelichickFan said:
After seeing Maroney, I'm just glad the Colts didn't get him.
Amen to that, brother.

Of course, Pete Prisco loves Addai, and after the first week's effort sings Addai's praises:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9596688

He says Addai's pitiful numbers mean nothing (and at that he could be right-one game not proving anyting), though I have to believe that if Addai had done what Maroney-Bush-Williams had done, Prisco wouldn't be saying it meant nothing.

main reason if Addai becomes succesfull is Manning..with a potent passing attack like Colts have..Addai will get more room to run compared to rest of RBs. If he was without Manning he wouldnt be much

Remix 6 said:
main reason if Addai becomes succesfull is Manning..with a potent passing attack like Colts have..Addai will get more room to run compared to rest of RBs. If he was without Manning he wouldnt be much

Same could be said about Maroney too though, right?

no because were not a high power passing offense like Colts

Ouch..guys ineed some help

this is from another board

Originally Posted by Remix 6
Who has impressed you thus far from these preseason games?

Maroney - showed great speed..hard to take down..busted a few long ones.
Dillon - Looks faster than 04..pounded ball well

Jackson - Steven looked fast and very strong..big guy

The Poster..a Viking fan :

Patriots- It was nice to see ex-Gopher Maroney making a strong 1st impression and I've always liked Corey Dillon.
...but did anybody else notice the generously sized holes that those 2 RB's had up the gut?
I could probably name you at least 50 current RB's who could gain good ground behind that line.
Regardless of where the credit belongs, one thing seems obvious after just 1 pre-season game.
The New England Patriots will have a productive running game in '06.

Rams- Steven Jackson was impressive as well. As was Tony Fisher.
Can you guess where I'm going with this......?

Now..do i take this as a compliment to the OL..or a shot at Maroney-Dillon were overrated in the game..?

Look, I'm as big a Pats fan as anyone here, but the continued Addai/Bush bashing has become ridiculous. I'm as excited as anyone about Maroney, but let's face it, most of us Pats fans were drooling about Addai when we thought the Pats were going to draft defense in the first round. Some people were proclaiming that Addai was the best all-around (running, receiving, blocking, blitz pickup, etc) back in the draft. If we had wound up with Carpenter or Lawson in the first round, and Addai in the second, we would have all been crowing about our draft(we still are, great draft). Addai will be a fine back in the NFL, will be a good weapon out of the backfield, and should wind up as the #1 back on the team. I would have been fine with him in the second round if we had gone for defense, or receiver in the first round. Most likely he would have been available in the second round as all indications were that Indy wanted Maroney bad.

Some people here have been proclaiming that we got the #1 RB in the draft (after one half of one preseason game), and that may happen, but Reggie Bush has not shown me anything so far that proves he wasn't the best RB in the draft (maybe the best player). There is a reason why Bush went #2 and Maroney #21. Don't get me wrong, I am stoked about Maroney (he is my computer wallpaper right now), I watch his highlites on Youtube all the time (that 90 something yard run against Wisconsin is sick). But Bush is going to be awesome too, and may even be BETTER than Maroney in the long run, though I think he will be used differently.

Overall, I think this thread is a waste of time. Maybe we should do this RB comparison 5 years down the road, or maybe 3 years down the road, but after 1 preseason game, this is ridiculous.

i was complimenting Reggie before if u read .. nothing wrong agaisnt him. Im just going against those "others" not here but elsewhere that said..Patriots should of taken Williams..or Addai is gonna be the best etc and i said we will be comparing them each week..

Last edited:
I like Bush alot and expect him barring injury to be a HOF caliber player. But I have a feeling he will be a Barry Sanders type: +40, -5, -2 , +6, 0, 1, -2= 7 carries for 38 yards! Hey, look, he averages over 5 yards a carry! Personally, I feel an Emmitt Smith type is more of a "winning" ballplayer; a consistent 4-6 yards a pop back. For this reason I like Maroney, assuming he can become that. I think it's amazing how much bigger Maroney is now than even in mini-camp, and in college last year. He looks like a legitimate bruiser, a 220+ kid who can run between the tackles. But we have to temper our enthusiasm with the realization that Wali Lundy out of Virginia had almost identical stats for Houston last night...

Remix 6 said:
i was complimenting Reggie before if u read .. nothing wrong agaisnt him. Im just going against those "others" not here but elsewhere that said..Patriots should of taken Williams..or Addai is gonna be the best etc and i said we will be comparing them each week..
I agree. I love Bush (he he), disliked Addai from day one and didn't trust Williams because of his sub-par collegiate competition. i actually wasn't high on Maroney... I thought he ran too high and was a system back, and wanted Kiwanuka or Lawson. I hope to hell I'm an idiot.

i thought Maroney fit our system best because he was bigger than Williams and Addai hasnt played enough football to get my attention..for me..i wanted Maroney, Jackson, Hill or Whitner while people here really wanted Carpenter most

Re: RB Comparison Thread

Remix 6 said:
Each Week We'll update it in preseason :p
Just to keep us feeling good

Looking at that..if it wasn't for Williams's 20 yard run..he would of been between negative yards and 5 yards. Bush obviously had the biggest run..impressive. Maroney did very well aswell..Addai and Williams kind of disappointed.

3 guys got long runs..expect well Williams didn't work with 1st group really

Remix,

There is another SB competitor that is dependent on finding a Big Back replacement and they have a vet coming back from injury with the credentials. Why don't you add him to your weekly comparisons since he is absolutely needed by the Steelers. I'm referring to Duce Staley, who may or may not be done.

The Steel heads can't expect to be able to run all season if little Willie Parker has to take all the carries. So Duce is critical to their success.

Anyway Duce Staley went:

Duce -7 carries 14 yards 2.0 ypc with a long of 6 yards... First Offense

^rookies :p

For me the first players I ever rooted for as a kid were Rbs. i wanted to be an NFL Rb, and ran around the house around the furniture breaking **** until my mother flipped. My favorite was E.****erson. But there's one thing you notice when you see a great RB: he runs different from anyone you've ever seen before. The great ones have this. They LOOK DIFFERENT WITH THE BALL. They just do. A certain hop skip and a jump; LT has it, Marcus Allen had it, ****erson had it, Sanders had it. Reggie Bush has it... and you know I'm not going to jinx our boy! But...

Look, even when we were talking about running backs prior to the draft, I was a HUGE Maroney fan. I remember watching him in college his senior year, and mentioned that he looked bigger than his reported 5'11" 205. People here scoffed at that. He definately has the frame to carry 220+ without the loss of speed. The thing I like most, is how fast he hits the hole, most of the time he is 3 yards down the field before the first hit, and most of the time he will not go down from the first hit. He also has exceptional balance, great speed, and some nice moves. I'm probably too excited about him, and besides Bush, he was my favorite back. But I do feel Addai and Williams will be good-to-great backs as well. I just think , let's all be happy with what we got, and not put down the other guys. Saying Addai will only be good because of Manning is ridiculous, the same could be said about Maroney/Brady. There's no doubt that most likely, not all 4 backs will become great, that's just the odds of football. How often do 1st round backs become busts ? Quite often.............. I'm just hoping Maroney has a long, successful career.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remix 6 said:
You forgot one.
Cobbs - 5 carries 25 yards 5 ypc long of 11. Third team offense :)

^Scott okay..well Maroney never hit his senior year in college and tell me..do we rely on pass? Do we have Harrison-Wayne ..2 pro bowl WRs? Look at Brady's stats compared to Mannings..the Colts obviously pass more..have better passing success and when teams talk about stopping Colts they talk about stopping the pass...so yea tell me how Brady to Caldwell-Jackson scares teams and frees up Dillon-Maroney more than if they were with Colts?

Last edited:
My criticism of Addai was always very consistent before we even knew where he was going. This is a kid with alot of heart and toughness. He is something like Travis HEnry. Is that good enough? Good straight line speed, sub-par agility, lack of imagination with the ball, average "make-you-miss" ability, a penchant for taking brutal hits and getting injured, and questionable intellect (9 on the wonderlik) make it difficult to pick up complex NFL offense- which would have been a problem here or in Indy. As we know, this was the rumor coming out of there, that he was having a tough time picking up the scheme. I think Addai is a tough kid, but a mezza mezza first rd choice. Polian had to go there because they needed a back, and didn't want to pay Thomas Jones (from Chicago) with Rosenhaus as his agent what he wanted with Freeney's contract coming up.

Remix 6 said:
^Scott okay..well Maroney never hit his senior year in college and tell me..do we rely on pass? Do we have Harrison-Wayne ..2 pro bowl WRs? Look at Brady's stats compared to Mannings..the Colts obviously pass more..have better passing success and when teams talk about stopping Colts they talk about stopping the pass...so yea tell me how Brady to Caldwell-Jackson scares teams and frees up Dillon-Maroney more than if they were with Colts?

Excuse my senior season faux pas. But correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Brady out-pass Manning last year ? I just think people here are being hypocritical. A lot of people here loved Addai, and now he is a terrible back just because Indy drafted him and we didn't. And of course when you bring up Bush, it was/is very fashionable around here saying he will never be a great PRO back, which I find ridiculous. I would have bet anything that there would have been a parade in Boston by Pats fans if we wound up with Bush. The kid is the ultimate weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes