PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB Chris Brown a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
From today's Nashville City Paper:

Morgan declined to say what teams are interested in Brown, but did say that the process is close to being finished.

Rumors circulated over the weekend that the New England Patriots might be interested in Brown to backup Lawrence Maroney.

I'd love it. Use him at the goal line and short yardage situations (fantasy players beware). As much as I like Laurence, he hasn't yet learned how to put the hat down and get those tough yards.

I've been thinking about him as a possible sign. He would be a nice replacement for CD. Big, bruising back. He's been injury prone, so splitting time, or relieving Maroney might be a great fit for him.

A good backup...I agree....

He's pretty good when he's not hurt.....which is like four games out of the year.

When free agency started he was my first choice as a back-up for Maroney, but since adding Morris and Hairston I've cooled off on the idea. I guess it's still a possibility.

I'd love it. Use him at the goal line and short yardage situations (fantasy players beware). As much as I like Laurence, he hasn't yet learned how to put the hat down and get those tough yards.

how do you know that? he was sharing carries all year. from what i remember he didnt have any trouble getting in the end zone. (minus the miffed handoff in the afc championship game) morris is a good backup to maroney. he did it for ricky williams and he did it for ronnie brown just fine, plus evans did fine for dillon 2 years ago for a few games. dont know why people want us to carry 6+ RB/FB when we could use the roster space for special teams players. theres a reason why chris brown dosnt have a job yet. he is always hurt. what good is a backup that needs a backup?

how do you know that?

After watching him get stuffed repeatedly on third and fourth and short, because he took the ball and started dancing sideways looking for a hole. Towards the end of the year, this happened A LOT. Maybe Morris can do it. He looks like he has the size, but he's never been in that role before.

he was sharing carries all year. from what i remember he didnt have any trouble getting in the end zone.

I remember he did have trouble if it was less than three yards away. Stats could prove me wrong, but I don't feel like going through the play by play from every game.

dont know why people want us to carry 6+ RB/FB when we could use the roster space for special teams players.

Nobody wants us to carry 6+ running backs. People want us to carry the very best 4 or 5 running backs possible.

After watching him get stuffed repeatedly on third and fourth and short, because he took the ball and started dancing sideways looking for a hole. Towards the end of the year, this happened A LOT. Maybe Morris can do it. He looks like he has the size, but he's never been in that role before.

I remember he did have trouble if it was less than three yards away. Stats could prove me wrong, but I don't feel like going through the play by play from every game.

Nobody wants us to carry 6+ running backs. People want us to carry the very best 4 or 5 running backs possible.
Cedric Cobbs was just let go by Denver. Do we go there?
DW Toys

Nobody wants us to carry 6+ running backs. People want us to carry the very best 4 or 5 running backs possible.[/QUOTE]

didnt he have torn cartalidge in his ribs for half of the year? and what makes you think chris brown is better then any of them? apparently the titans, bills, packers or ravens dont want him. and if you want four or five then its maroney, morris, faulk, evans, and mills...hairston wont make the team, unless they convert mills to TE because of thomas's foot. they wont cut mills yet. he has too much upside. thats five. brown would not push anyone off the roster. maroney had 6 of 7 touchdowns from within the 10 yardline. how is that not "lowering your head and pushing the pile"? i just hate how when one mediocre RB comes free, people want to sign him right away because maroney cant cut it. meanwhile you dont know anything yet. plus theres not gonna be much of a pile anymore with stallworth and moss keeping the safties back.

Brown is a tiny bit soft, I agree, not a lot, but a little bit that doesn't make him as tough as his size would make you think. But I think he would help us.

I was about to say that Dillon will be back anyway, but then I thought there is no way that BB is going to put Moss and Dillon in the same locker room.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
As much as I like Laurence, he hasn't yet learned how to put the hat down and get those tough yards.

After watching him get stuffed repeatedly on third and fourth and short, because he took the ball and started dancing sideways looking for a hole. Towards the end of the year, this happened A LOT.
So which is it? If he hasn't learned, why was he okay at the begining of the year and not the end?

Maybe you mean he learned but forgot halfway through the season?

Or maybe he was injured and favoring a bad shoulder.

Anyway, there is no need for both Morris and Brown backing up Maroney, and I'd rather have Morris than Brown. Doesn't mean Brown can't be brought in for competition, and the best guy win. But I doubt we keep both Morris and Brown.

Dillon got stuffed more times than Maroney per stats.com or w.e that site is

I think it had a lot to do with the OL but Maroney when it broke it..he danced to make something out of nothing instead of lowering his head and just getting a yard or 2

So which is it? If he hasn't learned, why was he okay at the begining of the year and not the end?

Maybe you mean he learned but forgot halfway through the season?

Or maybe he was injured and favoring a bad shoulder.

I didn't say he was okay at the beginning. I just said it happened a lot toward the end. Maybe it was the nagging injuries to Dillon or Maroney getting a better handle of the offense, but Maroney didn't get those carries as much early in the year. Yet at the end of the season and in the playoffs we were forced to punt so many times (it seemed) because the third and short run to Maroney ended up with no gain. Again, I'm sure he'll be fine in time. It's a very coachable issue.

Anyway, there is no need for both Morris and Brown backing up Maroney, and I'd rather have Morris than Brown. Doesn't mean Brown can't be brought in for competition, and the best guy win. But I doubt we keep both Morris and Brown.

That's exactly what I'm saying. We need two of Morris, Brown, and Evans. It might turn out that Brown is better suited. I don't think he plays special teams, so he'd be the longshot, but since he's looking like a cheap sign, and since he's rushed for 4.2 yards per carry in his career, and 2300 yards in three years despite injuries, it's a low risk/high reward dart we're throwing.

koolaid23 said:
maroney had 6 of 7 touchdowns from within the 10 yardline. how is that not "lowering your head and pushing the pile"?

Because it's not. Scoring a rushing TD from 6-10 yards is a different animal than scoring one from the 1-3.

remix6 said:
I think it had a lot to do with the OL but Maroney when it broke it..he danced to make something out of nothing instead of lowering his head and just getting a yard or 2

If it had to do with the OL, then we have to upgrade the OL. Maybe this is why the zone blocking scheme is apparently being considered. I agree with you re: trying to make something out of nothing. That's actually my point. On third and fourth and short, or on the goalline, you need somebody to lower his head and just get a yard or two. He can be Barry Sanders all he wants the rest of the time, but once in a while you need John Riggins.

Didn't Tenn use Henry as their short yardage back? In any case, I'm pretty sure that Evans would be a better goal line back than Brown. And with the money they paid Morris, you have to believe they see him as much more than just a slightly better Patrick Pass. So where does Brown fit in?

Didn't Tenn use Henry as their short yardage back? In any case, I'm pretty sure that Evans would be a better goal line back than Brown. And with the money they paid Morris, you have to believe they see him as much more than just a slightly better Patrick Pass. So where does Brown fit in?

yeah they did. just looked it up. henry = 7 TDs, Brown = big fat stinking 0. not exactly a "push the pile goal line back".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes