PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB Carlos Hyde as a replacement for LeGarrette Blount

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

2/1/14: Hyde was suspended for the first three games of the 2013 season. After returning to the lineup for the Buckeyes, he ran over the Big Ten. Hyde had huge games against Northwestern (26-168), Iowa (24-149) and Purdue (16-147). Against Illinois, he was completely dominant. Hyde totaled 247 yards on 24 carries with four touchdowns on the ground. As a receiver, he had two receptions for 26 yards and a score.

The powerful Hyde is a one-cut downhill runner who can pick up yards after contact. He looks like he has the burst and the quickness to hit the hole before it closes in the NFL. Hyde didn't look slow in his final collegiate season. He averaged 7.3 yards per carry for 1,521 yards with 15 touchdowns. Hyde also had 16 receptions for 147 yards and three scores through the air.

8/3/13: Hyde was bumped down the rankings some because of off-the-field issues. He was a named a person of interest in a reported assault of a woman at a Columbus bar, but police have stated that Hyde won't be charged with a crime. Head coach Urban Meyer had suspended Hyde from all team activities, but one can safety assume that Hyde will be reinstated. It remains to be seen if Ohio State will suspend him from any games to open the season for this brush up. The incident will still start up off-the-field questions with NFL scouts.

Hyde is a big, downhill, power back. He averaged 5.2 yards per carry for 970 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2012. Hyde is a good short-yardage and goal-line back, but may not have enough speed for the next level. He is very tough to bring down and constantly runs through tackles. For the NFL, Hyde should trim down to get quicker.

sure why not, also gives you a safety net with all of the other RB's hitting free agency after this season

Hyde was very Blount-like in college, what a BEAST ! Love that guy.

I like Hyde a lot but he'll go no later than our #2 and we have bigger needs. There's a ton of decent RB this year, we're better off taking one later to go with Ridley and Vereen if Blount leaves.

I think Hyde is less powerful but more of a primary back than Blount, never thought about it but he could be a solid replacement, best power-back available this year

How high, though? I've seen at least one mock that had him in the first round, and most have him in the first two. I'd rather spend $1.5M on Blount than use a second round pick on a replacement, if that's enough to get Blount.

I've been bringing this up from time to time in the past couple/few months. As a big OSU backer, I firmly believe in Hyde's talents as a bigger, bruising RB.

Of course the other side of the coin as Sciz points out, would be the possibility of retaining Blount for approx. 1.5m. Whether or not that can be done is an issue in my opinion, and if Blount isn't coming back, I wouldn't mind trading down/out of the 1st to grab another couple of 2nd/3rd/4th rounders and taking Carlos Hyde in the 2nd round.

No 1st of course, but should we trade down, I would be intrigued at the possibility of taking him in the 2nd, as we'd still likely have an additional 2nd to spend on someone else just as well. Most don't see RB as that high of a need, but we must keep in mind that if Blount leaves, we also have Vereen/Ridley in the final year of their pacts as well.

Like Sciz I prefer the re-sign Blount option. In fact, I'd rather make Blount the feature back and go with a heavy option with double TEs (ASJ/Gronk). But if we were drafting someone, I'd rather go with Jeremy Hill who I think is the more explosive back.

Like Sciz I prefer the re-sign Blount option. In fact, I'd rather make Blount the feature back and go with a heavy option with double TEs (ASJ/Gronk). But if we were drafting someone, I'd rather go with Jeremy Hill who I think is the more explosive back.
That's interesting as well, I would love to see Gronk, Amaro, Blount, Vereen, and Edelman/Dobson out at the same time, have a lot of depth too (Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, KT, Boyce, Ridley, etc)

Seems like Brandon Bolden gets no love around here. After Shane Vereen went down after game 1. I remember our Coaches using Bolden on as our 3rd Down RB he wasn't exactly good at it but I am intrigued to how he improves in that area in the Offseason. One thing we should like about Bolden unllike Ridley and Vereen he doesn't Fumble. On LeGarrette Blount played very well for us last year except for that last game you know the saying "you're as good as your last game". Wouldn't surprise me if we retained him but I wouldn't get into abidding match for his services...RB's are a dime a dozen, it's the easiest position to transition too from College to Pros.

Seems like Brandon Bolden gets no love around here. After Shane Vereen went down after game 1. I remember our Coaches using Bolden on as our 3rd Down RB he wasn't exactly good at it but I am intrigued to how he improves in that area in the Offseason. One thing we should like about Bolden unllike Ridley and Vereen he doesn't Fumble. On LeGarrette Blount played very well for us last year except for that last game you know the saying "you're as good as your last game". Wouldn't surprise me if we retained him but I wouldn't get into abidding match for his services...RB's are a dime a dozen, it's the easiest position to transition too from College to Pros.

250lb running backs aren't a dime a dozen though. Especially ones that can go fifty yards for a TD.

Yes, because you can judge Blount's play by the 5 rushes he was given in the 1st half of the game... :rolleyes:

Think you need to be reminded that Vereen's fumble came while still wearing a brace on his wrist..

Bolden gets little love because people have tempered their enthusiasm about UDFAs like him since BJGE has been fumbling like crazy in Cincy.. They're waiting for it to start happening with Bolden..

Furthermore, it should be telling that the Pats chose to not dress Bolden 4 times. It's also telling that Bolden's numbers came against bad defenses. And the times he was bad were against Atlanta, Miami and Houston. Now. I will give him credit where it's due. He had a great game against Cincy and a good one against the Jets. But is that really enough to over-ride the rest? And the fact that he's took at least 2 Special Teams penalties that I can remember..

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back