PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raymond Clayborn, Ty Law, Bill Parcells selected as 2014 Patriots Hall of Fame finalists

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who should be elected to the Patriots Hall of Fame in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Raymond Clayborn, Ty Law, Bill Parcells selected as 2014 Patriots Hall of Fame finalists | All Things Pats

Every year a 20-person nomination committee convenes in early April to select three finalists for the New England Patriots Hall of Fame. This year the committee has chosen Raymond Clayborn, Ty Law and Bill Parcells. Fans can vote on the club’s website starting today, through May 15 for the person they prefer to be honored with enshrinement.

The nomination committee is made up of a mix of media members, alumni and staff. This year’s discussion could not have been an easy one; Willie McGinest, Rodney Harrison, Houston Antwine, Leon Gray, Chuck Fairbanks and Raymond Berry were among those that did not make it to the finals.

Raymond Clayborn was drafted out of Texas in the first round, 16th overall in the 1977 draft. In his rookie season he returned three kicks for touchdowns; to this day that is the most in club history for a single season and tied with Ellis Hobbs as the most in a career as a Patriot. The following year Clayborn took over as a starting corner, and went on to play in 161 consecutive games and 147 consecutive starts. Clayborn was a three-time Pro Bowler (’83, ’85, ’86) and played in seven post-season games on four Patriot playoff teams, helping the club to ten winning seasons in his thirteen years with the Patriots. Clayborn also holds the team record for kickoff return average in a year (31.0 in 1977) and had 36 career interceptions with the Pats, another club record (tied with Ty Law); three times he led the NFL in non-offensive touchdowns (’77, ’85 and ’87). He’s also part of Patriots folklore after being knocked down (out?) in a locker room altercation with writer Will McDonough.

Ty Law was another first round draft pick, taken 23rd overall out of Michigan in 1995. In his ten season with the Pats Law was named to the Pro Bowl four times (’98, ’01, ’02, ’03) and was twice an All Pro (’98, ’03). Law was part of all three Patriot Super Bowl winning teams and in 1998 he became the first Patriot to lead the NFL in interceptions, when he had nine. Law holds several Patriot all-time records, including interceptions (36, tied with Clayborn), interception return yards (583) and pick-sixes (6). His 47-yard interception off Kurt Warner for a touchdown in Super Bowl 36 is certainly one of the most iconic moments in franchise history.

Bill Parcells came to Foxborough in 1993, with the team in disarray coming off a 2-14 season. In his second year the Pats made the playoffs with a 10-6 record, and two years after that the club made it to the Super Bowl after winning what was then a franchise record 11 games, and their first division title in ten years. Parcells is still a polarizing figure with Patriot fans however, due to his negotiating a contract with the rival Jets in the days leading up to that Super Bowl loss.

The Patriots’ Hall of Fame currently consists of John Hannah, Nick Buoniconti, Gino Cappelletti, Bob Dee, Jim Lee Hunt, Steve Nelson, Babe Parilli, Mike Haynes, Steve Grogan, Andre Tippett, Bruce Armstrong, Stanley Morgan, Ben Coates, Jim Nance, Sam Cunningham, Jon Morris, Drew Bledsoe, Troy Brown, Tedy Bruschi, Billy Sullivan and Gil Santos. The nomination committee includes Ernie Adams (football staff), Ron Borges (Boston Herald), former radio voice and Hall of Famer Gil Santos, **** Cerasuolo (retired from Worcester Telegram and Gazette), Tom Curran (CSNNE.com), Jim Donaldson (Providence Journal), Mark Farinella (Attleboro Sun), Glen Farley (Brockton Enterprise), Fred Kirsch (Patriots Football Network), statistician John Hendry, Ron Hobson (retired from the Patriot Ledger), Carlo Imelio (retired from Springfield Union News), WBZ-TV’s Steve Burton, Bryan Morry (from The Hall at Patriot Place), Paul Perillo (Patriots Football Weekly), Chris Price (WEEI.com), Mike Reiss (espnBoston.com), Matt Smith (Patriots Football Network), Mike Lynch (WCVB), former player and Hall of Famer Andre Tippett, and Howard Ulman of the Associated Press.

To make your selection, go to the Official Website of the New England Patriots | 2014 Patriots Hall of Fame Balloting and cast your vote. Voting concludes on May 15th, and the winner will be announced about a week later. The induction ceremony will most likely be held the day prior to the first pre-season game, with a halftime ceremony at the regular season home opener.

Raymond Clayborn seems to be a bit miffed that it took this long for his name to come up.

Clayborn: 'Why did it take so long?' - espnBoston

Raymond Clayborn didn’t hold back.

When asked his initial reaction to learning that he was one of three finalists to the Patriots Hall of Fame in 2014, he said simply, “Why did it take so long?”

Now that he’s crossed that threshold, Clayborn (1977-89) shared more thoughts about joining cornerback Ty Law and coach Bill Parcells as the final three.

“I’m really honored,” he said Wednesday on a conference call. “Bill is already in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and I believe Ty will definitely get there one day himself.”

In his playing days, Clayborn was known for strong man coverage, and is still tied atop the franchise all-time charts (with Law) for interceptions (36).

“To hold the record with him is an honor,” said Clayborn, adding that Law probably would have broken it if he didn’t get hurt in his final season with the club. Asked if he saw similarities between his style of play with Law, Clayborn touched on the ability to lock down one side of the field.​

As much as I like Ty Law, I have to go with Parcells. Without him, I don't think Belichick would have ever made his way to NE.

Going with Ray Clay. I still have a little hard feelings about the way Parcells handled himself during the SB and being in contact with the Jets instead of spending 100% of his time on winning the SB.
Ty will be in real soon anyway.

As much as I like Ty Law, I have to go with Parcells. Without him, I don't think Belichick would have ever made his way to NE.
I can't believe those media pukes and toadies nominated the self absorbed, sleazeball former HC..... AGAIN. This over rated jerk only had a 4 year tenure with the Pats, of which only 2 were winning seasons.

Parcells had only 2 great skills as a HC. He was great at ingratiating himself to the media, and he was great at surrounding himself with great assistant coaches. And while we could say he was a great builder of teams, he was a damned poor "maintainer" of franchises.

The last memory that EVERY Pats fans should have of Bolting Bill, is when he abandoned his team after the superbowl and rode off to his next job. And before any of us who might fall for the hype. don't forget that while he SHOULD have been putting all of his efforts in preparing for the Packers, he was instead spending time in negotiations with the Jets. Yes, before the superbowl even started, Puke Parcells was on the phone with the Jets, and the phone records confirmed it. And THIS is the guy you want to honor in the Pats HOF????? :rolleyes:

If Parcells ever makes it into the Pats HOF, I will be enormously ashamed of this fan base. The thought of this smug, disloyal, asshat getting a day of honor from the team he literally shat on would be a travesty. Do you REALLY think a 32-32 record should get you into a team's HOF. :mad:.

Last edited:
Gotta be Ty. What an opening Sunday that will be Ty gets his Jacket and Revis' first game. CB24 torch passing.

Ty for me as well.

Nothing against Clayborn, he was before my era, but I just can't see him having the type of impact that Ty did during his time.

I'm 29 years old, and from looking at the votes, it seems Clayborn was that good, but I just feel the guys of the dynasty years should be well represented at the PHOF.

Ty's got to be the one. Sorry for the old timers right now, but the dynasty guys will reign supreme for many years to come.

As much as we scorn Bobby Grier here, he was the Directer of Player Personnel the year we got Ty. People only remember him for the Terry Glenn pick and subsequent bad drafts with Petey. He was also the Directer of Pro Scouting in 93-94. He had a major hand in Bledsoe, Brown, Mcginest, Johnson, Milloy and Bruschi coming here those years.

I dare say he'll never get a nomination for the Hall. Sorry Parcells, go bother the Giants if you want to be in a team HOF.

I voted for Ty. He was a hell of a player for the Patriots. I still remember being at that AFCCG where he picked off Manning three times. It was a cold day but I was so comfortable in that snow from the pure joy and elation I felt watching that defense dismantle the pansy Colts offense.

Ty Law was my favorite Patriot til Brady came along.
He has to be the one plus maybe seeing Law honered by this team will convince Revis he wants that same legacy with the Patriots.

I don't mind parcells. I wasn't happy he left, but don't blame him either - kraft was too meddlesome back then. As an owner, you really have no business telling your coach/gm who to select in the draft. Luckily for is, kraft learned his lesson.

Parcells laid the foundation for our dynasty. Can't complain there. He's the reason why I became a patriots fan in the first place.

Parcell's obvious disdain for the Kraft family and the classless way he left town are why I think he shouldn't be in the Pat's HOF. Clayborn vs. Law is a tough call. IMO, Law's iconic 3 picks in the 2003 AFCCG gives him the edge.

Can't decide between Clayborn and Law, so I'm going to vote for Houston Antwine every year until they outlaw football.

Ty's got to be the one. Sorry for the old timers right now, but the dynasty guys will reign supreme for many years to come.
I feel the opposite. Like Ray said himself, "what took so long". He's the guy who Ty was chasing, and never actually caught as a Patriot. Clayborn was just a touch behind HOFer Mike Haynes as a CB , and should be elected THIS year before he's forgotten even more. Ty is a lock. Waiting a year or two isn't going to kill him.

As much as we scorn Bobby Grier here, he was the Directer of Player Personnel the year we got Ty. People only remember him for the Terry Glenn pick and subsequent bad drafts with Petey. He was also the Directer of Pro Scouting in 93-94. He had a major hand in Bledsoe, Brown, Mcginest, Johnson, Milloy and Bruschi coming here those years.
Bobby Grier might have completely whiffed on the his last 3 drafts (at the expense of poor Pete Carroll), but he was absolutely right on Terry Glenn. There would have been no Superbowl for Parcells without Terry Glenn, I don't think anyone would disagree with that. IIRC the DLman he wanted never was much of a player and was out of the league in 5 years. And while the troubled Glenn imploded in 2001 with the Pats, its easy to forget that had 2 consecutive 1000 yd receiving years with the Cowboys in 2005-6.

No OX1, this was just another case were Parcells was dead WRONG. And while Kraft should have been taken to task about meddling in contracts, he wasn't wrong here. Just another case where Parcell's ego was more important to him than building a winning football team. THANK GOD, he didn't win that particular battle.

I dare say he'll never get a nomination for the Hall. Sorry Parcells, go bother the Giants if you want to be in a team HOF
I only wish that were true, brother. Unfortunately the bulk of the nomination committee is made up of media pukes, and those media puke just LOOOOOVVVVEEE Parcells.....and always will. :rolleyes:

If it hadn't been for the way he left the Patriots, Parcells would have been a shoe-in. Bear in mind, this is a TEAM Hall of Fame. I think you absolutely should look at the way he conducted himself towards the team during his time here.

And the way he left was awful. Even Belichick was pissed at him, if I recall correctly.

Ty Law talks about being nominated for the Pats HoF, things he would do differently, Raymond Clayborn, Bill Parcells, and Darrelle Revis here:

Ty Law: Hall induction would be 'icing on the cake' as far as career with Patriots | It Is What It Is

“€œI’€™d be the first one to admit now, I’€™m older, wiser, more mature, that if I could have done something all over again, I would have tried my damnedest to stay in New England and finish my career,” he said on a conference call with New England media.

“€œNot that I have any regrets about the teams that took me in as far as the New York Jets, Denver Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs — I’€™m thankful for the opportunity. I think I said this early in my career; I would have loved to start and finish my career with the Patriots. Unfortunately that didn’€™t happen, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have made more effort to stay a Patriot.”

Law, who said he was “€œspeechless”€ when he was informed that he was a finalist, said, ‘€œit would mean a lot’€ if he gets the nod.

“€œIt will put the icing on the cake, as far as my playing career with the Patriots, and give some validation to me that I’€™m appreciated by the fans, they still care for me and they show me that with my business on and off the field and it just puts a stamp of approval [from] Patriot Nation,”€ he said.

As for Clayborn, Law said he speculated that if Clayborn wasn’€™t in the Patriots Hall of Fame, “€œHow the Hell am I going to get in?”

“€œYou can’€™t help but look at a guy like that and say it’€™s his time, he deserves it, he’€™s waited long enough,”€ Law said of Clayborn, who has been nominated in the past, but will be a finalist for the first time this year.

“€œWe heard about how he might have been overshadowed by Mike Haynes but I think it’€™s long overdue,” added Law. “€œHe’€™s definitely worthy and deserving of being in the Patriots Hall of Fame as far as I’€™m concerned. Numbers don’€™t lie and he has them. When people talk about Raymond Clayborn, you don’€™t hear anything but positive. You never heard anything negative about Raymond Clayborn. I think that’€™s the mark of a true Patriot, at least from my era when I was there, how the Patriots conducted themselves, how Mr. Kraft ran his program, put the right people in place. He would have been able to fit in in my generation, my era and would have been a standout All-Pro as well.”​

Can't decide between Clayborn and Law, so I'm going to vote for Houston Antwine every year until they outlaw football.
WWWwwwhhhhhaaaaaaaaattt??? You're username is RayClay and you're still not voting for Raymond Clayborn? Poor Raymond has no shot if even YOU don't vote for him :(

Gotta go with Clayborn. Consistent over many years. Wish we had him now.
I found Ty Law's comments that he wished he'd tried harder to stay a Patriot interesting. Older, wiser and has the perspective that time brings. Ty will be another great addition to the Pats HOF.

Ty Law gets my vote. I was afraid I was slighting Clayborn, whom I remember, but not statistically, until I saw the stats in the article. Ty Law was slightly better statistically, and he helped the Pats win 3 (or at least 2) Super Bowls. I will never forget his pick-6 in SB 36. I was wearing his jersey as I watched him run down the sideline from the rafters of the Superdome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes