PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ray Rice Indicted On Aggravated Assault Charge

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Any other team probably would have released Rice by now, the Ravens will probably give him an extension.

BjwvSKrCQAA2Nns.jpg

Bjw58QIIQAAWY7_.jpg

Unfortunately for the Ravens, they're hamstrung because of the contract that they gave Rice in 2012. Releasing him costs Baltimore $5,500,000 against the 2014 cap, and they don't have much cap maneuverability because of the contracts given to him and Flacco, Ngata, Pitta, Suggs, Webb, etc.

Right now the Ravens only have $4.1 million of cap space, so they can't cut Rice without making more space with either other restructures or other cuts.

Can't say that I feel sorry for them, or the majority of their fans for their predicament.

Mentor (left) with his understudy (right).

Attachments

• Rays.jpg
    Rays.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 135
Per Rotoworld:

"Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti "aggressively stood by" Rice on Monday, but the case doesn't appear likely to go quietly. In addition to whatever the court decides, either via a plea deal or trial, Rice is facing a suspension."

The Pats cut Hernandez as soon as he's even CHARGED and the Pats still get BBQ'd for having him on their team, like they were totally complicit in all his activities off the field. The Ravens defend Rice to no end, then his charge gets elevated, but I haven't heard a peep out of ESPN or the national media. :bricks:

It will be REALLY interesting to see what suspension THE TOOL decides on regarding Rice

I appreciate the thumbs down icon in the thread title. Wasn't sure how I felt about this before seeing that.

I appreciate the thumbs down icon in the thread title. Wasn't sure how I felt about this before seeing that.

Just slapped it with a one star too, for the topic, not the OP!

Talk about a douche, hope this dude gets a full sentence, that video of him dragging his fiancee out of the elevator was disgusting.

Well, he can't blame it on roid rage without the league coming down hard on him. Same thing if he says he was drunk.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving team and fanbase. :cool:

Per Rotoworld:

"Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti "aggressively stood by" Rice on Monday, but the case doesn't appear likely to go quietly. In addition to whatever the court decides, either via a plea deal or trial, Rice is facing a suspension."

The Pats cut Hernandez as soon as he's even CHARGED and the Pats still get BBQ'd for having him on their team, like they were totally complicit in all his activities off the field. The Ravens defend Rice to no end, then his charge gets elevated, but I haven't heard a peep out of ESPN or the national media. :bricks:

Can we at least pretend to keep things in perspective? Winning a fight by a knockout isn't anywhere near the same thing as giving multiple people a permanent firearm sendoff.

Can we at least pretend to keep things in perspective? Winning a fight by a knockout isn't anywhere near the same thing as giving multiple people a permanent firearm sendoff.

If I remember correctly, Ray Lewis gave a guy a nice firearm sendoff and all the Ravens did was pay for his legal bills and give him the best lawyer this side of Johnnie Cochran. But maybe that's just me being a jaded Pats fan.

But Lloyd had a sub par season thereby EARNING it.

Wait, wrong Lloyd, my bad!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly, Ray Lewis gave a guy a nice firearm sendoff and all the Ravens did was pay for his legal bills and give him the best lawyer this side of Johnnie Cochran. But maybe that's just me being a jaded Pats fan.

Lewis's situation was covered nationally, just like Hernandez', and the Patriots weren't BBQ'd over Hernandez. Rice's situation also was covered nationally, and wasn't ignored, when the tape first came out.

There's a lot we can ***** about the media for. We don't need to make more things up.

So, what do you think Deus?

3rd degree agg assault at the moment.

I'm thinking obvious plea down to simple assault, absolutely no possibility of jail time, and about a 4 game suspension from the NFL--max.

So, what do you think Deus?

3rd degree agg assault at the moment.

I'm thinking obvious plea down to simple assault, absolutely no possibility of jail time, and about a 4 game suspension from the NFL--max.

I haven't seen anything that went on in the elevator itself, and I don't know if his fiancee will testify, so I can't really give an informed option on what what will happen moving forward. These cases often get resolved well before trial, either with dropped charges or some form of much lesser charge/PTD.

I'm guessing Goodell will come down hard on Rice once the case is resolved, though, since this was a woman getting hit, and not a man.

Ray Lewis didn't kill anybody. He was present when his friends killed somebody (with a knife, I believe, not a gun) and no one was ever punished for that murder, in large part due to Ray's lack of willingness to point a finger at the killer, which makes him an abettor of murder in the public eye if not the eye of the law. Much like OJ, you can thank a completely botched prosecution for this one, though.

Ray Lewis didn't kill anybody. He was present when his friends killed somebody (with a knife, I believe, not a gun) and no one was ever punished for that murder, in large part due to Ray's lack of willingness to point a finger at the killer, which makes him an abettor of murder in the public eye if not the eye of the law. Much like OJ, you can thank a completely botched prosecution for this one, though.

Agreed
Although I despise Lewis I do not see evidence that he was a murderer like The Prisoner

This remains open to question.

No it's not. The jury found that Lewis' friends killed the two men but were acting in self-defense. Lewis was slapped with a charge to get him to do exactly what he did - plead down to obstruction and flip. His testimony was not comprehensive but that was the prosecution's fault.

Lewis was guilty of lying to the police and telling his friends to keep quiet. He wasn't guilty of murder, and if his friends were (as I suspect, as do most others), the prosecution did an extremely poor job proving it so the jury (like in the OJ trial) did not get it wrong.

edit: Here's a good "5 misconceptions about the Ray Lewis trial" article: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/commentary-five-misconceptions-about-ray-lewis-murder-trial/

No it's not. The jury found that Lewis' friends killed the two men but were acting in self-defense.
I guess it depends on what source you want to cite/believe. This account and others I've seen state that Oakley and Sweeting were acquitted for lack of evidence. Lewis' white suit, a key item that could've sunk him, was never found.

Ray Lewis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A knife found at the scene did not have any fingerprints or DNA. Lewis subsequently testified that Oakley and Sweeting had bought knives earlier in Super Bowl week from a Sports Authority where Lewis had been signing autographs. Baker's blood was found inside of Lewis's limousine.

Lewis's attorneys, Don Samuel and Ed Garland, of the Atlanta law firm Garland, Samuel & Loeb, negotiated a plea agreement with Howard, where the murder charges against Lewis were dismissed in exchange for his testimony against Oakley and Sweeting, and his guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice. Lewis admitted he gave a misleading statement to police on the morning after the killings (initially telling them that he was not at the scene). Superior Court Judge Alice D. Bonner sentenced Lewis to 12 months' probation. One year in prison is the maximum sentence for a first-time offender, and the immediate probation was the judge's decision.

Oakley and Sweeting were acquitted of the charges in June 2000. No other suspects have ever been arrested for the crime.

I guess it depends on what source you want to cite/believe. This account and others I've seen state that Oakley and Sweeting were acquitted for lack of evidence. Lewis' white suit, a key item that could've sunk him, was never found.

There's no difference in the sources. Lewis obstructed justice (the judge hit him with a minimum sentence of immediate probation, which may have been unjust). There was a lack of evidence that his friends had not acted in self-defense, and the jury acquitted them. You can say Lewis' actions to obstruct justice were reprehensible, that they may have led to two guilty men going free, but there's no evidence he was guilty of murder.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back