PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ray Lewis a liability on D vs. Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's less stout due to injury, but running right at him is also running right at Ngata. Counters to make him chase and passing plays designed to match him up against a RB would be the best way to go.

So running at Ngata is not a good thing? That isnt what you said.
Running a counter is about the only way you make Lewis effective because his best remaining skill is reading a play. And passing plays don't have anything to do with the discussion of whether running at him or away from him is better.
You are way off on this one.

Running a counter is about the only way you make Lewis effective because his best remaining skill is reading a play. And passing plays don't have anything to do with the discussion of whether running at him or away from him is better.

Way to quote me and completely put words in my mouth. But I'm used to that.

1. No, I didn't say that running at Ngata was not a good thing. What I said was that running right at Ray Lewis was not a good thing particularly because, and Belichick agrees with me here, he's still strong against the run. As strong as he once was? No. He's injured. But it still isn't the best course of action particularly because you have to go through Ngata first.

2. Lewis has lost a great deal of speed. With that being said, I don't see why misdirection plays like counters wouldn't be a good idea. You'd be playing more to his strength by running right at him (making him not have to chase a faster RB) instead of his weakness by running away from him.

As for the passing plays, it was a comment that I used to reiterate my earlier stance that getting a RB in space against him was a good thing.

I disagree with this. The Broncos ran several counters and he sold out on them hard (to the misdirection). And then, I don't know if he noticed he was doing it or someone pointed it out to him, but the Broncos ran a stretch play and Ray feared it might be a counter, so he went out of his way to fill the back side hole, taking himself out of the play.

The Pats can exploit this and I expect they will.

I disagree with this. The Broncos ran several counters and he sold out on them hard (to the misdirection). And then, I don't know if he noticed he was doing it or someone pointed it out to him, but the Broncos ran a stretch play and Ray feared it might be a counter, so he went out of his way to fill the back side hole, taking himself out of the play.

The Pats can exploit this and I expect they will.

He overpursued on quite a few of them as well. This is because he's lost a step and knows it, so he's trying to overcompensate. Misdirection plays with our speed will absolutely kill him.

By the way, I'm not advocating never running at him. I'd like to see a few plays where we go right at him and I understand that there will be a few plays where we go right at him. I just think a better gameplan on that side of the ball would be misdirection to get him chasing our speedsters like Vereen and Ridley instead of sending those guys right to him with open arms.

1. No, I didn't say that running at Ngata was not a good thing. What I said was that running right at Ray Lewis was not a good thing particularly because, and Belichick agrees with me here, he's still strong against the run. As strong as he once was? No. He's injured. But it still isn't the best course of action particularly because you have to go through Ngata first.

My sense (and I may be off base here having not seen a ton of Ravens game) is that Ngata is not the force he used to be due to his body starting to break down. Still a good player, but not a JJ Watt-esque unblockable type.

My sense (and I may be off base here having not seen a ton of Ravens game) is that Ngata is not the force he used to be due to his body starting to break down. Still a good player, but not a JJ Watt-esque unblockable type.

Prior to the 2011 season, Ngata dropped quite a bit of weight and really hasn't been the same since. But with he and Lewis together, I really can't make sense of running right at them instead of getting them to run AFTER our backs. To me, the latter plays more to their weaknesses than the former.

Your sense would be correct. :D I'm telling ya, Koppen was moving him in a few cases one on one two - three yards down field. He even quit on a few pass plays because he got pushed down the field so far that I thought the lineman could have been flagged for ineligbley being downfield.

I think our interior line can move him and Cody out of the way. And to my belief that we should run at Ray, is partly because we can isolate Ray in the middle and block him with our guards getting to the second level. The Broncos did it several times but their backs refused to go where the alley was. And one last point about Ray in the run game, he was consistantly blocked 5-7 yards downfield by the Broncos.

To me it should be a combination of misdirection and running right at Ray. With the majority of the runs inside. That is where they will have success, IMO.

Last edited:
Ngata is clearly playing hurt. He's been 50% of the player we know he can be.

The more I delve into the match ups the more I am convinced the Patriots should blow out the Ravens. That said, the Ravens are playing with heart and hung with the Broncos enough to allow the Broncos to lose that game.

Way to quote me and completely put words in my mouth. But I'm used to that.
When your answer to why running at Lewis is bad is that it makes you run at Ngata, its not a big leap. Its not putting words in your mouth, its reading.

Really? Bill Belichick agrees with you? :rolleyes:
Thats the best you got?
Lewis does not hold up well at the point of attack. His strength has always been that he is incredible at diagnosing plays, and at pursuing.

2. Lewis has lost a great deal of speed. With that being said, I don't see why misdirection plays like counters wouldn't be a good idea. You'd be playing more to his strength by running right at him (making him not have to chase a faster RB) instead of his weakness by running away from him.
This is where you are off. He is much more deficient taking on blockers than he is pursuing a play. Misdirection isn't good agaisnt a penetrating defense. But what we are talking about is a way to exploit Lewis. Misdirection is not the way to attack him.
By the way, his losing speed doesn't make him a liability it takes away the extra talent that he used to bring in pursuit. You don't 'attack' someone by going after what they used to do better than anyone, over and above their normal job.

As for the passing plays, it was a comment that I used to reiterate my earlier stance that getting a RB in space against him was a good thing.
Well this discussion was about the running game.
You seem to be grasping at straws to just not admit you erred, so I will just move on. I see no point in monitoring what you will come up with next to avoid saying "yeah I got that one wrong".

Prior to the 2011 season, Ngata dropped quite a bit of weight and really hasn't been the same since. But with he and Lewis together, I really can't make sense of running right at them instead of getting them to run AFTER our backs. To me, the latter plays more to their weaknesses than the former.
But first I want to address this.
By running away from them you are running AT someone. You don't choose who to run at by looking at who is chasing the play from a spot they aren't a factor.
Lewis is a huge liability when you run at him. Running at someone else instead who is a stronger run defender because Lewis no longer has the speed to be superhuman in pursuit makes no sense.

By running away from them you are running AT someone. You don't choose who to run at by looking at who is chasing the play from a spot they aren't a factor.
Lewis is a huge liability when you run at him. Running at someone else instead who is a stronger run defender because Lewis no longer has the speed to be superhuman in pursuit makes no sense.

Ray reminds me of 06-07 rodney harrison. Rodney had the same football iq and passion, but his reaction to plays has slowed down.

I'd run it down his throat and pass at him all day....make it a real going out party on national TV

When your answer to why running at Lewis is bad is that it makes you run at Ngata, its not a big leap. Its not putting words in your mouth, its reading.

Not really. Running right at Ray Lewis instead of devising a game plan that takes advantage of his speed loss doesn't make sense to me. Now maybe you're saying that, ultimately, we should do both. But you haven't stated that yet. Compound that with the fact that you have to go through Ngata (and maybe Cody) to do it, and it REALLY doesn't make sense to me.

Really? Bill Belichick agrees with you? :rolleyes:
Thats the best you got?

You may want to read his conference call from today where he was talking about just that.

Lewis does not hold up well at the point of attack. His strength has always been that he is incredible at diagnosing plays, and at pursuing.

You've got to be kidding me here. His strength has been EVERYTHING. He's one of the greatest LB's of all time for that reason alone. What he's lost the most of is speed. Running more misdirection plays (such as counters) are the best way to take advantage of that. Now, are you really going to sit here and tell me that he hasn't lost speed?

This is where you are off. He is much more deficient taking on blockers than he is pursuing a play. Misdirection isn't good agaisnt a penetrating defense. But what we are talking about is a way to exploit Lewis. Misdirection is not the way to attack him.

Misdirection is key if your blocking can hold up. And that blocking holding up is absolutely why it can burn a penetrating defense. It's one of the many reasons why we started out the 2004 AFCCG against the Steelers with a reverse and it's the reason why one of our more memorable plays in the dynasty era happened against the same penetrating defense with a throw back to Brady and a bomb down the field.

The bottom line is that there is no set way for attacking a style of defense. You can do it in multiple ways. You can pound the ball up the middle or you can take advantage of them by catching them in overpursuit and then burning them in the other direction. When you're looking at a defense and assessing a guy that has been in the league for 17 years that has clearly lost a step, getting him to chase your faster backs is a great idea.

By the way, his losing speed doesn't make him a liability it takes away the extra talent that he used to bring in pursuit. You don't 'attack' someone by going after what they used to do better than anyone, over and above their normal job.

This makes me think that you're just here because you're looking for something to argue about. On one hand, you freely admit that he's lost a few steps, on the other hand, you don't think getting him to chase guys like Vereen is a good idea. Further, you admit that Ray Lewis used to pursue well, but does not anymore. And, really, you STILL can't admit that misdirection plays to take advantage of that are a good idea? This makes your final statement in this post even more ridiculous.

Well this discussion was about the running game.

And yet, this was one of the first sentences of the OP...

With all that said, there is one area in which the Ravens have clearly played better without Lewis, and that is in pass coverage.

And yet, here was my first response...

Agreed. We might as well now that Gronk is shelved. I would still stay away from running right at him but, in the passing game, Lewis should have a Maryland sized bullseye on his chest.

It was actually you who took issue with the running comment and made the discussion about that. My OP was centered around using his lack of speed against him in both the run game and in the passing game.

You seem to be grasping at straws to just not admit you erred, so I will just move on. I see no point in monitoring what you will come up with next to avoid saying "yeah I got that one wrong".

So I erred because I think that the best way of attacking a 17 year veteran who has lost his speed is to throw at him and mix in a good amount of misdirection and plays centered around getting him to chase our runners? I guess maybe I erred if you're incapable of putting that together.

By the way, you still haven't refuted anything I said, nor have you refuted mgcolby's post where he pointed to Lewis selling out hard on misdirection plays to make up for his lack of speed.

OK guys,

anyone know the snap count for lewis last game? how often is he in the defense? does he only hit the sidelines on passing plays or what?

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I'd rather run at Krueger, Ellerbe, or Suggs than at the combination of Lewis and Ngata on a consistent basis.

Ray reminds me of 06-07 rodney harrison. Rodney had the same football iq and passion, but his reaction to plays has slowed down.

He's old, man. That's what happens. In the end, he's hanging them up because he's getting to the point where he can't chase around kids in their 20's anymore. I say we make him do just that. :cool:

Ngata is playing at well under 100% this year. He's clearly hurt. He was quoted as having "minor MCL damage" earlier this season, which basically means "he's playing on one leg. We all saw what that did to Seymour in 2007 - same deal with Ngata. His shoulder's also been injured this year, which may explain why he's having so much trouble taking on blockers. He's been so consistently injured this year that he's already starting to talk about retiring.

Last edited:
OK guys,

anyone know the snap count for lewis last game? how often is he in the defense? does he only hit the sidelines on passing plays or what?

he is in on almost all the snaps..they are thin at LB

Not to imply that Ray Ray is still a bolt of lightning, but he did have the flu against the Broncos. That combined with the altitude probably didn't do any favors to his speed and strength.

His impact is more in recognizing the offense and setting the defense where his intelligence is invaluable. Physically... not sure.

Bingo.

Glad someone nailed it. Ray Lewis' impact is QBing the defense, more so than his actual play. He can recognize everything, and has seen everything.

It makes sense why Brady has struggled against him. Because he is Tom Brady on defense, and is not fooled.

The Ravens try to take away the favorable match ups that Brady will look to exploit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes