PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens Whining Out of Hand - post-game comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

newton_tom_cat

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
i really think they're whining and not taking responsibility FOR THEIR ACTIONS is a big factor in them having such a disappointing season. i mean they called the timeout, no one else, how is that the officials fault? their guy did hold watson right in the middle of the middle field in front officials. what are these clowns talking about? officials gave them a complete freebie on offensive pass interference on the hail mary and THEY STILL LOST. and the fg in cleveland a few weeks ago was good too. how was that stiffing the ravens? etc etc etc etc these guys are losers in every sense of the word.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-4-47/Ravens--The-fix-was-in-for-Patriots.html

It's why Billick will most likely lose his job, or they'll move a lot of the players.
Their situation is a lot like the Bengals. The coach doesn't control the team in either case.

I expect a lot of fines to be levied against the Ravens this week. I've never heard a team go off on the officiating that badly. Some players might hint at it but the Nevermores were straight up calling the refs out.

I love the fact that they accuse the NFL of playing favorites with the Pats. Obviously they didn't see the Indy game. :rolleyes:

I just watched ESPN and the WHINING ravens players....WOW.....I have NEVER seen a bunch of grown men (boys....lol) whine so much!

The fact remains they played their hearts out and let this one get away all by themselves. They may have a good defense, but zero discipline.

The fact remains they played their hearts out and let this one get away all by themselves. They may have a good defense, but zero discipline.

Well said.

Pats fans may whine about officiating (who, us? :p ) but I've never heard Pats players behave the way the Ravens are behaving. Not even close.

I expect a lot of fines to be levied against the Ravens this week. I've never heard a team go off on the officiating that badly. Some players might hint at it but the Nevermores were straight up calling the refs out.

I love the fact that they accuse the NFL of playing favorites with the Pats. Obviously they didn't see the Indy game. :rolleyes:
Players can complain, as far as I know, only coahces and other team personnel can be fined for comments about the officiating. Now, throwing the flag into the stands is going to bring down a fine, and I wouldn't be surprised if the team fines a few players for going off on their coach.

PENALTY on BLT-S.Rolle, Face Mask (15 Yards)
PENALTY on BLT, Defensive 12 On-field, 5 yards
PENALTY on BLT-T.Suggs, Defensive Offside, 4 yards
PENALTY on BLT-Q.Sypniewski, False Start, 5 yards
PENALTY on BLT-D.Martin, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards

Didn't see this one (blocking out of bounds?) so can't comment.

PENALTY on BLT-C.Ivy, Defensive Holding, 5 yards
PENALTY on BLT-C.McAlister, Defensive Pass Interference, 3 yards

These were pretty clear and they stood out as the Pats were on a short field nearing the endzone.

PENALTY on BLT-D.Wilcox, False Start, 5 yards
PENALTY on BLT-S.Rolle, Illegal Contact, 5 yards

Brady had already scrambled for a 1st down so this wasn't a big call in the grand scheme of things.

PENALTY on BLT-J.Winborne, Defensive Holding, 5 yards

Both Watson and Gaffney were held on this play in plain sight of the officials. No way anyone should be complaining on this one.

PENALTY on BLT-B.Scott, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards
PENALTY on BLT-E.Reed, Defensive Offside, 5 yards

Selfish, selfish, selfish. The Ravens were a big return from getting back into the game. I'm sure Scott feels like a man now and I guess that will have to get them through the season.

Gaffney's TD Catch

If that play was reversed on review, I would have turned on the whole idea of replay. The call on the field was correct (look at any sideline catch...the player always moves the ball from hands into their body). If they ruled that there was overwhelming evidence that Gaffney didn't have control of the ball, you would have to suspect that the ref was trying to control the outcome of the game. Besides, even if the ball was incomplete, the Pats had 3 downs and only 8 yards to go.

So where is the bias here? The Ravens got called for 13 penalties, only 5 of which required any judgement from the officials. The Pats got called for 6 penalties (4 accepted) and 5 of those required judgement from the officials. The Ravens gameplan was to rough up the Pats receivers, much like the Pats used to do before the "point of emphasis". The do have a point that these calls were made at key times and not consistently throughout the game...but they don't have any case that the penalties didn't happen.

I saw the out of bounds penalty right away. If you Tivo it, you will see it, the Pats guy actually does a flip on the sideline he was hit so far out of bounds. I made that call from the couch. (without the sound)

How bout, the Ravens crying about the call on 4-6 (When Brady ran for it), they TACKLED MOSS!!!!!!!!! and they guy is like what, me????

PENALTY on BLT-S.Rolle, Face Mask (15 Yards)
PENALTY on BLT, Defensive 12 On-field, 5 yards
PENALTY on BLT-T.Suggs, Defensive Offside, 4 yards
PENALTY on BLT-Q.Sypniewski, False Start, 5 yards
PENALTY on BLT-D.Martin, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards

Didn't see this one (blocking out of bounds?) so can't comment.

PENALTY on BLT-C.Ivy, Defensive Holding, 5 yards
PENALTY on BLT-C.McAlister, Defensive Pass Interference, 3 yards

These were pretty clear and they stood out as the Pats were on a short field nearing the endzone.

PENALTY on BLT-D.Wilcox, False Start, 5 yards
PENALTY on BLT-S.Rolle, Illegal Contact, 5 yards

Brady had already scrambled for a 1st down so this wasn't a big call in the grand scheme of things.

Both Watson and Gaffney were held on this play in plain sight of the officials. No way anyone should be complaining on this one.

PENALTY on BLT-E.Reed, Defensive Offside, 5 yards

Selfish, selfish, selfish. The Ravens were a big return from getting back into the game. I'm sure Scott feels like a man now and I guess that will have to get them through the season.

Gaffney's TD Catch

If that play was reversed on review, I would have turned on the whole idea of replay. The call on the field was correct (look at any sideline catch...the player always moves the ball from hands into their body). If they ruled that there was overwhelming evidence that Gaffney didn't have control of the ball, you would have to suspect that the ref was trying to control the outcome of the game. Besides, even if the ball was incomplete, the Pats had 3 downs and only 8 yards to go.

So where is the bias here? The Ravens got called for 13 penalties, only 5 of which required any judgement from the officials. The Pats got called for 6 penalties (4 accepted) and 5 of those required judgement from the officials. The Ravens gameplan was to rough up the Pats receivers, much like the Pats used to do before the "point of emphasis". The do have a point that these calls were made at key times and not consistently throughout the game...but they don't have any case that the penalties didn't happen.

no bias there. only bias i saw was no-call on offensive pass interference on ravens hail mary. that pass thrown 1 yard further and it would have cost us the game.

Players can complain, as far as I know, only coahces and other team personnel can be fined for comments about the officiating. Now, throwing the flag into the stands is going to bring down a fine, and I wouldn't be surprised if the team fines a few players for going off on their coach.

Then why did Brady say that he didn't want to get into trouble with the League when he was asked a question about the officiating?

What about the holding call on Koppen that killed the Patriots' drive? The ref threw the flag late after a Raven asked for it. Amazing.

The real problem with replay and the Gaffney catch is that the language isn't precise enough to define what control means. What they need is another Tuck Rule, language that's so precise that it takes away from the ref trying to make a judgement call.

The ball was moving, and it wasn't totally secure, but Gaffney had both sets of fingers on it as he was moving it toward his body. I call that control. He was controlling the ball. But the ball was still moving.

no bias there. only bias i saw was no-call on offensive pass interference on ravens hail mary. that pass thrown 1 yard further and it would have cost us the game.

It is actually amusing if you watch the replay from the overhead view. Clayton was the designated "catcher" and the other receiver (not sure which) was the "bouncer". First he took out Gay by knocking him to the ground. They he went after Asante and hauled him down by his pads. Those were the two "front" defenders which is why Clayton was able to get a clean catch.

It's why Billick will most likely lose his job, or they'll move a lot of the players.
Their situation is a lot like the Bengals. The coach doesn't control the team in either case.

I agree there. That has got to be the most undisciplined team I have ever seen, from their stupid college barking before the game to the way they behave on the field.

We stole one from them, though, didn't we?

They learned what so many other teams have elarned over the years:

DO NOT GIVE BRADY THE BALL WITH UNDER 3:00 IF YOU'RE LEADING. BECAUSE, IF YOU DO, INSIDE OF 3:00, YOU WON'T BE LEADING ANYMORE.

Last edited:

Let's not get into non-calls. I'm re-watching the games again......... You can make a solid case for Defensive Holding and/or PI on just about EVERY offensive passing play for NE. Welker pretty much had to run around all game carrying a DB or LB on his back.

Glad someone else saw it too. That could easily have been a penalty and probably should have been But they rarely call it. Pat's were outplayed last night but they "Manned Up" when it counted the most.

I posted this in the game thread (a few times, actually): the Ravens--mostly on defense--were causing penalties on almost every snap. Holding, PI, you name it and they did it. They were so jacked up and overzealous that you could see clear penalties being committed (two that stick out are holding on Wilfork to spring McGahee for a big run and a block in the back on the kickoff return that turned into a big play). Were they going to call them every single play? No. But I think at the end of the game the officials simply had to call those.

No b*tching necessary, they played their hearts out and, unfortunately for them, maybe they played a little TOO jacked up.

I saw Asante get mugged on the hail mary as well. Probably a good decision not to throw a flag when time had run out with no TD.

The Ravens imploded, and if you can't take pressure during the full 60 minutes whether it's because of the other team's play or a questionable call, you won't win the tight, pressure games. In other words, you'll never be a champion.

So, they can have their pre-game dances and their team rituals. I'll take a team that plays with cool under pressure even if it's not playing its best over a team that feels they have the right to win without earning it. It's not about talking the talk, it's all about walking the walk.

Not only that but #26 could've been called for pass interference against Watson on that same play!

Last edited:
"Pats fans are the most pompous, ignorant, classless group of people in the world. Never have I seen a demograghic of people with less integrity and less knowledge of the game. Gaffney quite clearly bobbled that last catch without any shadow of a doubt. And if that is holding, I hope those refs buy their loved ones extra special gifts with the "Bilichick Bonus" they all seem to get every week. No Fun League? No Fair League. Go Cowboys"

I love some of the crazy anti-Patriot quotes I'm finding in the comments section of that ESPN article. The best part is that the guy is a COWBOYS fan.

As for the issue at hand, the calls, I can't site specific examples of plays but I know that on more than one occasion in just about every game, I've had a reason to think the officials were rooting AGAINST the Patriots. The last two games, I was practically convinced the officials all put their life savings on the Eagles and Ravens with those huge lines. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing