PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens Week Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rex blitzes so much that it becomes quite annoying, and in the New York game last year, we had six/seven guys behind the line of scrimmage pretty much instantly, partly by design on the Giants' part, so if Jacobson/Bradshaw/Ward could break one tackle and get to the second level, they were pretty much home-free as Leonhard/Reed/Rolle couldn't tackle.

So do you feel the Leonhard loss isn't a big one? I don't see anyone raving about his majesty, but I was curious about your perspective.

Yep , Brandon Jacobs had two touchdowns and the Giants amassed more than 200 yards rushing.

They absolutely crushed us in every way, but I think Jacobs only had 94 yards by himself or something, which kept our streak alive to this day - 41 straight games without a 100 yard rusher or something like that.

The streak lost all credibility in that New York game, though, as every single Ravens fan acknowledged that we were dominated on the ground, and bringing up the streak became pointless as 200+ overall yards on the ground > one guy getting 100+ yards.

So do you feel the Leonhard loss isn't a big one? I don't see anyone raving about his majesty, but I was curious about your perspective.

I wasn't too concerned with losing Rex/Pettine as their style was detrimental late in games, and we had replaced Marvin Lewis/Mike Nolan/Mike Singletary/Jack Del Rio/Mike Smith before, but I knew that we would probably surrender slightly more points/yards in 2009 than 2008.

I wasn't too concerned with losing Scott as we have replaced a ton of "star" LBs before, including your own Adalius Thomas, but I knew that for the first year, there would be a significant dropoff in our pass-protection as Bart was great in coverage.

Conversely, I was actually fairly happy about losing Leonhard as he is tiny, can't tackle, and had one interception in the regular season last year in trash time against the Bengals' third-string quarterback.

Leonhard got a ton of press because he got an interception handed to him in our first playoff game, and then knocked himself out by forcing a fumble in the second.

Dawan Landry, who was knocked out of last season in week three or four, is better than Leonhard in every facet of the game, and I'm not sure Leonhard would have even been second-string on the Ravens with two pretty good backups behind him in Nakamura and Zbikowski.

Leonhard is a really, really, really useful gadget-type player, but as a starting safety, he is a liability.

My man Ben Jarvis Green Ellis is going to pick up the Maroney slack(it is good that Maroney is injured). Just watch guys.... he impressed me in the preseason since game 1. ( I thought to myself- who the hell is he running the ball, he looks solid) He is a much improved player and the Green/Taylor/Morris Run Game will be a very impressive demonstration in Gillete. When we establish the Run.... TFB will have so many options in the passing Game. A confused Baltimore team is what we want and Green will help immensely w/ our run game.

I'd almost guarantee you that unless Maroney is out, BJGE won't even be active. Even if he is active, I'd be shocked to see him carrying the rock.

My man Ben Jarvis Green Ellis is going to pick up the Maroney slack(it is good that Maroney is injured). Just watch guys.... he impressed me in the preseason since game 1. ( I thought to myself- who the hell is he running the ball, he looks solid) He is a much improved player and the Green/Taylor/Morris Run Game will be a very impressive demonstration in Gillete. When we establish the Run.... TFB will have so many options in the passing Game. A confused Baltimore team is what we want and Green will help immensely w/ our run game.

Right, you are going to "establish the run".

Because everyone does that against the Ravens right?

We have allowed 40 yds a game rushing so far.

And about 75 per game over the last decade.

Good luck.

Kelley Washington ,ex- Patriots player on special teams is back in town with his new team and he will try very hard to get a TD against us. Washington had five catches for 66 yards on Sunday against Cleveland.

Last edited:
Kelley Washington ,ex- Patriots player on special teams is back in town with his new team and he will try very hard to get a TD against us. Washington had five catches for 66 yards on Sunday against Cleveland.

He has been a great addition thus far, but I would like to see Flacco's numbers with some legitimate WRs, similar to how Brady's stats blew up when they added major threats in New England.

Actually, do you guys think that adding those "legitimate" weapons really took the Patriots to the next level? Or were the Pats' weapons pre-2007 underrated? Or does a QB make his WRs?

I ask because I'm still very wary of our WR corps, and although thye've been productive, Flacco still holds the ball at least every three snaps due to his guys not getting open. I have a feeling that our production has been a combination of bad CBs faced/Flacco being really good/a great running game acting as a decoy, which have combined to overcome the WRs who stink of mediocrity.

Last edited:
He has been a great addition thus far, but I would like to see Flacco's numbers with some legitimate WRs, similar to how Brady's stats blew up when they added major threats in New England.

Actually, do you guys think that adding those "legitimate" weapons really took the Patriots to the next level? Or were the Pats' weapons pre-2007 underrated? Or does a QB make his WRs?

I ask because I'm still very wary of our WR corps, and although thye've been productive, Flacco still holds the ball at least every three snaps due to his guys not getting open. I have a feeling that our production has been a combination of bad CBs faced/Flacco being really good/a great running game acting as a decoy, which have combined to overcome the WRs who stink of mediocrity.

You guys should have traded for Anquan or traded up to get Percy. If you had a dynamic WR that defenses had to focus on, that would free up some of the other receivers and not put so much pressure on the running game. Trust me, if and when a team shuts your running game down, Flacco's gonna make some decisions that second year QBs usually make or he just won't be able to find the open guys that he's finding now because of the spacing your running game is creating. Don't get me wrong, Flacco's a stud and he's got a bright future, but he hasn't been really tested this year as far as carrying a team when the running game is shut down. I think we'll see this Sunday because we will shut your running game down.

Last edited:

It looks to me that Flacco is carrying your receivers. The sky is the limit for him with dynamic playmakers. Also, if I was the ravens mgmt, I would build around him and develop into a more verticle passing team.

A good ground game to compliment a franchise QB is the best method.

You guys should have traded for Anquan or traded up to get Percy. If you had a dynamic WR that defenses had to focus on, that would free up some of the other receivers and not put so much pressure on the running game. Trust me, if and when a team shuts your running game down, Flacco's gonna make some decisions that second year QBs usually make or he just won't be able to find the open guys that he's finding now because of the spacing your running game is creating. Don't get me wrong, Flacco's a stud and he's got a bright future, but he hasn't been really tested this year as far as carrying a team when the running game is shut down. I think we'll see this Sunday because we will shut your running game down.

Just joined to have a few exchanges with all you Pats fans.

In terms of stopponing our running game, if you do, well you deserve all the credit. I would suggest that our 3 very healthy running backs with the addition of an O-Line that is also huge and healthy will certainly earn you a prize if you can hold them. This is one of the best lines the Ravens have ever had. Flacco and the RB's have been successful because of this group. I have been watching football for 45 years and have never seen a rookie like Michael Oher (RT). The guy is a beast, 300+lbs and built like a LB. Birk in the center is a great anchor and helps with line calls.

I really think that if the Ravens are real this year it will be because of the line play, Flacco and the real ace in the hole, Cam Cameron. The Defensive line is solid and deep, so are the LB's. We will see if the secondary steps up over the next few weeks.

Should be a great test for both teams.

Last edited:
Just joined to have a few exchanges with all you Pats fans.

In terms of stopponing our running game, if you do, well you deserve all the credit. I would suggest that our 3 very healthy running backs with the addition of an O-Line that is also huge and healthy will certainly earn you a prize if you can hold them. This is one of the best lines the Ravens have ever had. Flacco and the RB's have been successful because of this group. I have been watching football for 45 years and have never seen a rookie like Michael Oher (RT). The guy is a beast, 300+lbs and built like a LB. Birk in the center is a great anchor and helps with line calls.

I really think that if the Ravens are real this year it will be because of the line play, Flacco and the real ace in the hole, Cam Cameron. The Defensive line is solid and deep, so are the LB's. We will see if the secondary steps up over the next few weeks.

Should be a great test for both teams.

Your OL line is looking great. I agree about Oher and thought that we should have picked him up in the draft. Key for you guys is your running game and that is what we are going to try to take away. Belichick is known for taking away the opponents best weapon and I think our defense is up for it.

I live in Columbia and work in DC and from talking to other Ravens' folks in the area, a lot of you guys are thinking that our defense can be easily had because the familiar faces in our defense are gone. I think you guys will be surprised to see what we've got in NE defense this year.

Your OL line is looking great. I agree about Oher and thought that we should have picked him up in the draft. Key for you guys is your running game and that is what we are going to try to take away. Belichick is known for taking away the opponents best weapon and I think our defense is up for it.

I live in Columbia and work in DC and from talking to other Ravens' folks in the area, a lot of you guys are thinking that our defense can be easily had because the familiar faces in our defense are gone. I think you guys will be surprised to see what we've got in NE defense this year.

I think that if Wilfork is out, it will have some effect. Any more news on his injury?

The only issue for the Pats is that Flacco has been pretty effective at using the running backs for screens and dump off's. Flacco also does not have to rely on just Mason for players to pass to. I think that Bill is going to have his hands full taking it all away. As far as I am concerned Cam is just as effective in making it difficult to plan against, especially since the Ravens have had success, so far, with evenly spreading the offensive plays to both the backs and receivers.

Drum roll please!

We know that the heat is coming on Brady on defense so it's important for us to stick with our running game no matter what happens. We can't just abandon it and throw up 50+ passing attempts if two straight running plays only rattle off two yards each. Keep pounding the rock. It'll wear the Baltimore defense out and keep it honest. On top of that, it'll also open up the most deadly part of our offense: the play action pass.

On defense, it's going to be important to stop their running game and hope the coverage can have the same effect on Flacco as it did on Matt Ryan last week. I don't see us getting much of a pass rush on the Ravens as their offensive line is as stout as any we've played this year so I hope our cornerbacks and safeties bring their A-Game. If we do all of this, we should be able to easily win this game.

Excuse me for saying this, but that Ravens defense doesn't scare me as much as it did going into the season. They can still manage turnovers and they still have Ed Reed, but the loss of Ryan and Bart Scott did hurt their defense and it shows. We should be able to run on them without a problem if we stick with it. Also, if Brady's confidence keeps going up from last week, we should be able to gash the side of the field that Reed is not on through the passing game. Rivers showed us two weeks ago that that was possible and you better believe that BB is looking at that game to identify weaknesses.

The only issue for the Pats is that Flacco has been pretty effective at using the running backs for screens and dump off's. Flacco also does not have to rely on just Mason for players to pass to. I think that Bill is going to have his hands full taking it all away. As far as I am concerned Cam is just as effective in making it difficult to plan against, especially since the Ravens have had success, so far, with evenly spreading the offensive plays to both the backs and receivers.

Never would have said this year, but I'd trust our CB's to go man on your WR's.

Hello Pats fans. Here to talk about the game this week. The Giant game last year is not applicable in this game. The Giants have arguably the best rushing O Line in the league. I wouldn't put the Pats in that category. The Giants had three really good backs. You have Fred T. who is very good and vastly underrated. Maroney tends to disappear, and he will be gone in this game. The only way you guys are beating our defense is with big plays on offense.

When we have the ball, I do not expect the Pats D to be able to stop our run game. Our O Line is bruising, and we have 3 good backs. If Wilfork is out that will be rough for you guys. You guys are lacking good linebacking in this game. I don't see Springs defending Mason on play action passes once our run game is established.

Overall, I know this game will be close. It is in NE and that is a tough place to play. I just think this Raven team has a great chemistry this year, something that seems to be lacking with the Patriots.

Hello Pats fans. Here to talk about the game this week. The Giant game last year is not applicable in this game. The Giants have arguably the best rushing O Line in the league. I wouldn't put the Pats in that category. The Giants had three really good backs. You have Fred T. who is very good and vastly underrated. Maroney tends to disappear, and he will be gone in this game. The only way you guys are beating our defense is with big plays on offense.

When we have the ball, I do not expect the Pats D to be able to stop our run game. Our O Line is bruising, and we have 3 good backs. If Wilfork is out that will be rough for you guys. You guys are lacking good linebacking in this game. I don't see Springs defending Mason on play action passes once our run game is established.

Overall, I know this game will be close. It is in NE and that is a tough place to play. I just think this Raven team has a great chemistry this year, something that seems to be lacking with the Patriots.

I think they'll be able to stop your run game just fine. The rushing offense hasn't been anywhere near an issue this year. It's your passing game that I'm worried about.

I'm not sure if we're ready yet for a challenge like Bmore. No Mayo, Brady is still off and Welker's status is uncertain. Looking forward to it but I'm going to temper my expectations. Another good test for our budding defense too, even before this start I thought Bmore's offense was very underrated. Mason I can tell is going to give us fits and they have a deep threat as well. Run game is no joke. Very tough game it's going to be, the good news is it's early and a loss wouldn't be the end of the world. Just hope for no injuries in what will surely be a physical game.

We know that the heat is coming on Brady on defense so it's important for us to stick with our running game no matter what happens. We can't just abandon it and throw up 50+ passing attempts if two straight running plays only rattle off two yards each. Keep pounding the rock. It'll wear the Baltimore defense out and keep it honest. On top of that, it'll also open up the most deadly part of our offense: the play action pass.

On defense, it's going to be important to stop their running game and hope the coverage can have the same effect on Flacco as it did on Matt Ryan last week. I don't see us getting much of a pass rush on the Ravens as their offensive line is as stout as any we've played this year so I hope our cornerbacks and safeties bring their A-Game. If we do all of this, we should be able to easily win this game.
Excuse me for saying this, but that Ravens defense doesn't scare me as much as it did going into the season. They can still manage turnovers and they still have Ed Reed, but the loss of Ryan and Bart Scott did hurt their defense and it shows. We should be able to run on them without a problem if we stick with it. Also, if Brady's confidence keeps going up from last week, we should be able to gash the side of the field that Reed is not on through the passing game. Rivers showed us two weeks ago that that was possible and you better believe that BB is looking at that game to identify weaknesses.

You know it's really hard for most of the "home" team to judge the other teams capabilities, unless you watch every second of every game. And even then we all get the homer bias.

Point 1, the Ravens are very deep on the D-line and you will see a lotof substitutions, so getting tired out may not be a factor.

Point 2, if the Ravens execute they way they are capable I think theywin easily.

Point 3, losing Rex has required that the defense adapts to the new coordinator and game planning. We also have 2 new experienced, but new DB's that are working things out with the safeties. The Browns game was a good test of the improved communication between them. 4 picks although against the Browns was a good sign. As far as Bart, loved him, hated to see him go, but we had so many strong LB's in the waiting, performance wise, little lost.

I'm not sure if we're ready yet for a challenge like Bmore. No Mayo, Brady is still off and Welker's status is uncertain. Looking forward to it but I'm going to temper my expectations. Another good test for our budding defense too, even before this start I thought Bmore's offense was very underrated. Mason I can tell is going to give us fits and they have a deep threat as well. Run game is no joke. Very tough game it's going to be, the good news is it's early and a loss wouldn't be the end of the world. Just hope for no injuries in what will surely be a physical game.

We're doooomed!!!! :D

Seriously, we're ready. Baltimore is a very good team and quite capable of winning the game, but we're ready.

Mason is solid, but I expect Bodden to contain him and keep him from running wild. What deep threat does Baltimore really have? I think our secondary is much stronger than Baltimore's, and I expect our short and deep passing game to give them fits. I don't expect many rushing yards, but I expect a lot of short passes to backs and to Welker/Edelman. Given them a little room to work and make them pursue and there will be a big difference. And I expect Brady to attack them over the top as well. And I think our run defense will be stout, Wilfork or no Wilfork (I don't expect him to play).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes