PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens Week Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until we get our 'death zone' straighten out, i won't say anything about this game.

For our defense, Baltimore poses many of the same problems that Atlanta posed - a balanced offense with a big-play QB and a strong running game. They have a solid OL and 3 good RBs. Their WRs were considered weak going into the season, but they have managed so far. They are average over 34 PPG through 3 games.

I think our Oline and running game is better than Atlanta's. Our Oline is stacked with the addition of Oher who allows Heap to go out in patterns. While our WR have been considered "weak" they have been fantastic so far. Especially Kelly Washington who is playing like a man possessed after finally getting "his shot". I have still yet to find a DB who can cover Mason in the mid range passing game. Not flashy but gets the job done.

It will be a good test of our defense to see whether we can continue to hold opponents to low scoring games. Through 3 games our defense has given up just over 14 PPG (17 + 16 + 10 = 43 points, not counting the Brady INT for a TD against Buffalo). 34 PPG vs. 14 PPG - something's gotta give.

If your defense holds us to under 21 I will be surprised and you will deserve to win. I think the Pats will put up around 20 or so on our defense.

Offensively, this should be a reprisal of the NY game and should give us a chance at redemption. Baltimore will attack from all angles, especially with their LBs. Their DL is stronger than NYs, their secondary weaker overall (their CBs are only average, though Ed Reed makes up for a lot). I doubt they have anyone who can shut down Randy Moss the way Darrell Revis did. If Welker is back, it will be a big plus. The key for the Pats offensively is obviously how they handle the defensive pressure. I'm guessing they will do a better job than they did against NY, and hopefully do a lot of the things I had hoped they would do against the Jets - run, use play action, use screens, use misdirection, use 2 TE formations with extra blockers to pick up the rush, etc.

We dont have anyone to shut down Moss, but in 2007 he had a minimal impact against us with 4 for 34. We might not have the same players,but he will see the same coverage. The Chargers went max protect and just chucked it up to their 6'5 235 lb monsters all day. I think we sure that up and plan for that against you guys.

Baltimore will be a tough game - though the weakness in the DB's will surely be exploited to greater extent than was the case against Atlanta.

Flacco is getting plenty of praise for his first 3 games - and rightly so, but who have they really played?

A rebuilding KC, a struggling San Diego team and a dire Cleveland team

Against Rivers they shipped 436 yards through the air and 26 points - i'm guessing, that without Tomlinson, they have become a good deal more one dimensional as an offense..

What have we really done? We have destroyed the 2 teams we were supposed to and beat a good SD team on the road, even when Rivers threw for 400 plus on us. And yes, we annihilated the Chiefs despite what the score said (501 yds to 188, biggest difference in yards since the year 2000 Super Bowl team) with them getting 14 garbage points off crazy plays.We dismantled the Browns 34-3 and no matter what you say they are an NFL teams and you don't normally win by 31 in the NFL.

The way to attack this defense is to pass to open up the run - but i'd definitely recommend less shotgun (and yes, especially in the redzone).

Maroney, Morris and Taylor had a very nice outing this week - as a trio they can be very dangerous - I hope we don't get too far away from the relative balance of the Atlanta game.

I would not count on any of those guys doing much of anything. Matter of fact I will almost guarantee it. No one runs on us. The way to beat us is 5 wide through the air, not on the ground. Most teams try for about a quarter to run it, then just give up and throw it.

I've been impressed with the efforts of the 4 man front to stop the run so far - Mcgahee and Rice are a decent tandem so they'll have to be consistent in defending them.

Flacco will be easier to defend if we can make him become more one dimensional - whether that be by scoreboard pressure or by nullifying the running game.

I will go so far as to say we have one of the best running games/ Oline in the league right now. Forget about a 2 headed monster we have 3, all who do things a little different then the other. Nothing has phased Flacco to this point and if you get up by 7 or 10 this offense wont break a sweat worring about it. This is the 2009 Ravens, not the Ravens of the past who can't come back from a deficit.

Flacco reminds me of Rivers in a lot of ways (not the way they carry themselves, the way they play).

The Baltimore and Atlanta games struck as really similar in terms of our chances. Both have pretty good to very good QBs, good running games, and a defense that is hit or miss.

I can't really gauge the Baltimore defense though. They did enough to win, but apart from the shellacking that took place yesterday, their defense hasn't been vintage.

For the love of anything holy, don't cite The Wire as a representation of the city. They have one of the most ridiculously Yuppytastic sections of any city I have ever seen.

It is an absolute insult to compare our defense to Atlanta's and say we are "hit or miss". Our defense got rung up by the Chargers and one of the best passing attacks in the league, yet we are still 7th overall. Rest assure we have made the corrections and I doubt Brady will be putting up those numbers on us. he wil throw for 300,but 430 is not happening. We had a terrible matchup with those huge receivers in SD,outside of Moss that is not the case in this game.

And the city of Baltimore has turned into complete trash, and this is coming from someone who grew up there. The Wire is a pretty accurate narrative of what goes on. Of course there are some nice gentrified spots and neighborhoods but for the most part your best course of action when entering the city is to duck.

Oh yeah one other thing I forgot, please dont take anything Mike Preston writes about the Ravens seriously. He is the Ron Borges/ Jason Whitlock of Baltimore who just tries to piss the fan base off with his stupid little assessments of the team. He is a clueless hack who only has a job because of his tenure and seniority at the paper, who has admitted that he just writes things to get a rise out of the fans.

We are so blessed to have him.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback decleetz - good stuff, man!

I think our Oline and running game is better than Atlanta's. Our Oline is stacked with the addition of Oher who allows Heap to go out in patterns. While our WR have been considered "weak" they have been fantastic so far. Especially Kelly Washington who is playing like a man possessed after finally getting "his shot". I have still yet to find a DB who can cover Mason in the mid range passing game. Not flashy but gets the job done.

Your Oline is probably better than Atlanta's, though Gaither tends to blow hot and cold. It's not like when you had Jonathan Ogden, who could shut down the Russian Army by himself. Your WRs have played much better than expected to date, but 2/3 games have been against very poor defenses. I think Leigh Bodden will contain Derrick Mason, and the Pats will key on the running game and make Flacco and the other WRs beat us. Mason is a fine WR (we tried to get him), but I don't see him having a huge game.

If your defense holds us to under 21 I will be surprised and you will deserve to win. I think the Pats will put up around 20 or so on our defense.

Anything can happen, and this game could easily go either way. But if I had to hazard a guess, we will focus on containing your running game and on trying to confuse Flacco. I see the Ravens putting up 14-17 points, with Flacco throwing at least one significant interception. IF TB continues to improve and can avoid turnovers, I see the Raven's secondary being vulnerable. My prediction is the Pats put up 24-28 points and hold Baltimore to 14-17, but it's just a guess.

We dont have anyone to shut down Moss, but in 2007 he had a minimal impact against us with 4 for 34. We might not have the same players,but he will see the same coverage. The Chargers went max protect and just chucked it up to their 6'5 235 lb monsters all day. I think we sure that up and plan for that against you guys.

I just don't see your secondary having the talent to shut down our passing attack. I don't want 430 yards passing, thank you. But I wouldn't be surprised to see TB throw for something like 300 yards and 3 TDs. If Welker is back healthy I think we will throw Welker and Edelman both at you and drive your guys crazy with the short passing game, and then go over the top to Moss, Watson, Baker and Galloway. The big questions are whether we can run on your defense at all, and how we handle the pass rush.

The first 3 quotes you cited were from my post, so I have replied to each of your responses. The remaining quotes were not from me.

What have we really done? We have destroyed the 2 teams we were supposed to and beat a good SD team on the road, even when Rivers threw for 400 plus on us. And yes, we annihilated the Chiefs despite what the score said (501 yds to 188, biggest difference in yards since the year 2000 Super Bowl team) with them getting 14 garbage points off crazy plays.We dismantled the Browns 34-3 and no matter what you say they are an NFL teams and you don't normally win by 31 in the NFL.

I would not count on any of those guys doing much of anything. Matter of fact I will almost guarantee it. No one runs on us. The way to beat us is 5 wide through the air, not on the ground. Most teams try for about a quarter to run it, then just give up and throw it.

I will go so far as to say we have one of the best running games/ Oline in the league right now. Forget about a 2 headed monster we have 3, all who do things a little different then the other. Nothing has phased Flacco to this point and if you get up by 7 or 10 this offense wont break a sweat worring about it. This is the 2009 Ravens, not the Ravens of the past who can't come back from a deficit.

It is an absolute insult to compare our defense to Atlanta's and say we are "hit or miss". Our defense got rung up by the Chargers and one of the best passing attacks in the league, yet we are still 7th overall. Rest assure we have made the corrections and I doubt Brady will be putting up those numbers on us. he wil throw for 300,but 430 is not happening. We had a terrible matchup with those huge receivers in SD,outside of Moss that is not the case in this game.

The Ravens have so far done what good teams do: beat up on inferior competition (KC, Cleveland), and win the tough ones against other good teams (SD). They've executed well so far, and are clearly one of the elite teams right now.

I do think your offense is similar to Atlanta's. Slightly better OL, slightly more vertical passing attack with Flacco, similar use of the TE, WRs decent but not exceptional, and an excellent running attack. You don't have a Michael Turner, but you have 3 excellent RBs with different styles and use them to complement each other. Best offense the Ravens have had this decade.

Your defense is clearly vastly superior to Atlanta's. But so far this season it has not looked like the Ravens' defenses of old. It's too early to tell. I think your secondary is vulnerable, and you've lost some talent at LB. But it's still a potentially top defense. Ngata is a monster - I'd build my defense around him if I could pick one guy, even over guys like Suggs and DeMarcus Ware.

You guys obviously have a top team. No disrespect. This game could easily be a preview of the AFCCG, though that's a long ways away and lots could change between now and then.

Thought I'd kick off a thread on these guys and hopefully see some good Ravens fans sign up and talk game.

We all know about the Seagulls Defense, but I thought this was pretty interesting:

Wilson: Ravens' offense clicking on all cylinders | National Football Post

The undefeated Ravens (3-0) rank second in the league in total offense after three games with an average of 430.3 yards per contest, eight yards less than the New Orleans Saints.

And they've been perfectly balanced, ranking fifth in passing offense with an average of 273.7 yards and fifth in rushing offense with a 156.7 average.

Now I their strength of opponents so far is questionable, of course, but that's a nice stat for a team with a solid, young QB.

Should be a great test for our young and seemingly VERY deep defense.

I need to read more about the Ravens to have a real opinion (aside of my homerised assurance of victory), but I think the Ravens are one of our top 5 tests for this year. Others are the Saints & Fish.

The Pats need to shut down the running game. After that, this game gets a lot more manageable.

Ravens Q&A with Mike Preston -- baltimoresun.com

Alex: I'm worried about the Patriots. We haven't shown a great pass rush and our corners are undersized. How can we stop New England's passing attack so that we don't have another San Diego on our hands?

Mike Preston: Blitz the heck out of New England quarterback Tom Brady just like the New York Jets did two weeks ago. If you can hit Brady or make him move, you've got a shot.

The Ravens have to do a good job of mixing and hiding coverages. But, that's what happens when you play strong teams. Your weaknesses get exposed. Another key for the Ravens is being able to run the ball. Brady can't hurt you if he is standing on the sideline. The Ravens have to control the tempo and the clock.

Dave: How would you grade the Ravens' offensive line through Week 3? Are they one of the best in the NFL and which areas do they need to improve on?

Mike Preston: The Ravens' offensive line has performed well. I can't say where they rank among the best in the league because I haven't seen all the teams play. It's way too early to tell. But it's a young group, and they have started off very strong.

Despite only giving up 3 points to minor league team Cleveland Browns, I am not convinced that the Ravens D is legit. KC and SD put up 24 and 26 points on Ray Lewis' team. Sure, KC only managed 200 yards of Offense, but we are talking about KC. The Chargers moved the ball to the tune of 490 yards with Rivers throwing for 430 yds hitting on a multitude of big plays. Clearly the Ravens can stop, the run, but Brady could have a field day in the mid and deep routes. Losing the D coach plus Scott has had an affect

Well maybe playing KC and Browns, two of the worst defenses in the league,
helped those offensive stats a little.
I don't think they'll do as well against the PATs D. Less than 21 is my guess.

My man Ben Jarvis Green Ellis is going to pick up the Maroney slack(it is good that Maroney is injured). Just watch guys.... he impressed me in the preseason since game 1. ( I thought to myself- who the hell is he running the ball, he looks solid) He is a much improved player and the Green/Taylor/Morris Run Game will be a very impressive demonstration in Gillete. When we establish the Run.... TFB will have so many options in the passing Game. A confused Baltimore team is what we want and Green will help immensely w/ our run game.

The depth in every area of this team is quite good for the whole season, but even the depth on the 45 man game-day is impressive.

I expect the constant shifting and the loss of big name players is making this team a little harder to study for. It helps that Bill isn't afraid to hand over formerly famous numbers to new players (#55, #93, #11, etc...)

Good stuff JSN, thanks for the links.

Hopefully Welker is back. I'm sure the plan is to blitz the heck out of Brady, but I think the Pats will fare a lot better against it if #83 is healthy.

Despite only giving up 3 points to minor league team Cleveland Browns, I am not convinced that the Ravens D is legit. KC and SD put up 24 and 26 points on Ray Lewis' team.

Not true.

KC blocked one punt for a TD, and took an interception to the two yard line.

We gave up 14 points to KC, 3 to Cleveland, and 26 to San Diego on the road; none of those totals bother me, I'm just annoyed by how small our CBs are, which bodes well for Moss especially.

Last edited:
We gave up 14 points to KC, 3 to Cleveland, and 26 to San Diego on the road; none of those totals bother me, I'm just annoyed by how small our CBs are, which bodes well for Moss especially.

What are the physical stats on your corners and who are they?

I think our D will have to step up big time in this game .
I just watched the highlights of week 11 from last year :
Ravens 10 - Giants 30
If you can't find the video ,let me know.
I am sure someone is watching that whole game film .
Keys of that game : Brandon Jacobs had two touchdowns and the Giants amassed more than 200 yards rushing.

Friday night at 9 on NFL Network is the replay of Ravens/Pats November 2007 game

Last edited:
What are the physical stats on your corners and who are they?

Both Fabian Washington and Domonique Foxworth are 5-11 and 180 lbs; they're tiny.

The two probably combine to form the fastest tandem in the league, but San Diego has giant WRs, and speed didn't mean anything when Rivers was able to just throw jump balls to his guys.

Ideally, you would have Foxworth as a #2, where he would be one of the best #2 CBs in the game, but he's kind of being forced into a #1 spot, where he is definitely serviceable, but nothing special when compared to all the other stars on defense.

Fabian/Domonique are not not that bad, they're are still a middle-of- the-pack unit, and the secondary overall is top ten with Landry/Reed at safety, but it's definitely the weak spot on defense.

I think facing the Jeats in week two pulled our O-Line into mid-season form in a hurry.

Not that the Falcons dominate on D, but Abe was shut down completely.

It will be a test, for sure, but I think we'll see some stellar play form our augmented (TE's and RB's) O-line.

On top of that, these guys were LOVING run blocking last week. I don't see that changing.

Ravens 10 - Giants 30

That was probably one of the bigger letdowns in Ravens history.

To be sure, the Ravens have lost many more important playoff games, but the Giants ran all over us last year like no one has in a decade.

To be sure, the Ravens have lost many more important playoff games, but the Giants ran all over us last year like no one has in a decade.

And we now have one of their run-blocking TE's.

How much has the D changed since then, personnel-wise?

Yep , Brandon Jacobs had two touchdowns and the Giants amassed more than 200 yards rushing.

Last edited:
And we now have one of their run-blocking TE's.

How much has the D changed since then, personnel-wise?

Well, obviously Ryan and Scott are gone, but Kelly Gregg and Dawan Landry are back from season-ending injuries, and both being great tacklers helps, but otherwise we're mostly the same except that our new defensive coordinator isn't nearly as blitz happy as Rex Ryan, which has its pros and cons.

Rex blitzes so much that it becomes quite annoying, and in the New York game last year, we had six/seven guys behind the line of scrimmage pretty much instantly, partly by design on the Giants' part, so if Jacobson/Bradshaw/Ward could break one tackle and get to the second level, they were pretty much home-free as Leonhard/Reed/Rolle aren't good tacklers.

I can almost guarantee that the Patriots will adjust to Rex's packages eventually, just like the Steelers did, and then you'll start having real success.

Even though the blitzes work for much of the game, when you hold back your TE as necessary in the final few pivotal moments, like the Steelers do, and run the no-huddle with a ton of dumpoffs/quick slants, the blitzing becomes much more of a detriment than anything else.

We'll shut down Ben for three and a half quarters, but blitzing every play becomes excrutiatingly painful to watch in the six/four/two minute drive when the no-huddle tires out your defense, and slants become impossible to defend with only four guys back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye