PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Ravens Set Sights On Brady"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ravens have 22 sacks on the year, tied for 22nd - 24th. Compared to Philly last week who have 30 (with an extra game played). Dallas has 33, we did OK against them. Football Outsiders ranks their pass rush 12th. So they're OK, not a joke at all, but nothing to be overly concerned about.

Last edited:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/02/AR2007120201928.html

i hope we get out of this one healthy considering how the ravens might play

I always thought that most bad injuries had a freakish quality to them - like something that was unavoidable. I don't ever associate an increased chance of injuries with playing any particular team.

In fact, there is a chance that the Ravens' D, on the field way too much recently, could get highly gassed if that offense gives the ball away to a steamroller offense a couple of times.

And a gassed D is a bad D that gets no penetration.

I love all these topic titles the media comes up with before a game. "Ravens are ready to play!!!!!", "Ravens will put pressure on Brady!!!!!", "Ravens gonna kick some ass!!!!".....notice they will never say the most important thing, "Ravens have no offense to speak of and will get molested by a superior Patriots team!!!!"

The Ravens defense has been much more bark than bite for a couple of years now. It's funny how perception always lingers for awhile--there was still this perceived aura about playing the Raiders out there even after they got terrible. So it's going to be cold in Baltimore, the crowd's going to be in a frenzy and the Ravens will be foaming at the mouth, huh? That'll help them for all of about 5 seconds. Check with the Bills and see how that formula paid off for them.

Will it be that much different than when we played San Diego, Dallas, Indianapolis, or Philadelphia? Those teams had 2, 3, 2, and 3 sacks respectively and hurried Brady on many of this throws. The Ravens will be up for this game, but the Pats should be used to that by now.
They're also better pass rushing teams, having 31, 33, 23, 30 sacks each compared to Baltimore's 22.

They're also better pass rushing teams, having 31, 33, 23, 30 sacks each compared to Baltimore's 22.
And that was exactly my point. It won't be more intense than the four games I've mentioned due to the Raven's inability to pressure the QB on a consistent basis. I find all the hype fascinating and in the Pittsburgh game on Monday night a few weeks ago, the Ravens plan to pressure the QB resulted in 5 TD passes by Roethlisberger and no sacks. The Patriots have a superior squadron of receivers who will be effective in the short passing game, chipping away yardage, even if the wind is howling. This game should be fun.

Last edited:
The Ravens defense has been much more bark than bite for a couple of years now. It's funny how perception always lingers for awhile--there was still this perceived aura about playing the Raiders out there even after they got terrible. So it's going to be cold in Baltimore, the crowd's going to be in a frenzy and the Ravens will be foaming at the mouth, huh? That'll help them for all of about 5 seconds. Check with the Bills and see how that formula paid off for them.

This year the loss of AD, Pryce to injury, McCalister to injury, Rolle to epilepsy problems has hurt them. But last season Baltimore had as good a D as the league has seen since the 2002 Bucs.

Pryce is not playing and McAlister is either out or not at 100%. Ray-Ray can't cover. Ed Reed is a stud but he will be needed to defend Moss over the top. I'm not sure what the Ravens do to defend the spread. Go nickel/dime? A key LB comes off the field. Stay in the base? The LBs get roasted by Welker/Watson/Gaffney. Take a DL off the field instead? The LBs are uncovered and the Pats' OL will be able to block to the 2nd level.

The key as always is protection. Give Brady a chance to wait an extra second on the crossing routes and the Ravens are toast. Anyone in Baltimore please slip Kaczur an extra pre-game Red Bull and hopefully avoid the seemingly predictable 1st quarter whiff that is going to get Brady killed someday.

I always thought that most bad injuries had a freakish quality to them - like something that was unavoidable. I don't ever associate an increased chance of injuries with playing any particular team.

D-lineman going up against Denver's offensive lineman may differ with that.....

The Ravens game was the one I picked in the pre-season as our toughest game of the season... though at the time I didn't expect their offense to be quite as anemic as it is.

For that reason I still can't see us coming out of Baltimore with anything other than a win. They might "limit" us to 25-30 points like the Eagles but I don't see them scoring that many points either.

The real challenge will be keeping Brady's jersey clean. Thank goodness Goodell and the Packers have made it clear that bounties and incentives won't result in any penalties or fines... here's hoping the entire offensive line can earn some nice bonus money for keeping Brady safe tonight!

...notice they will never say the most important thing, "Ravens have no offense to speak of and will get molested by a superior Patriots team!!!!"

Yeah, compare what most of us and the media thought of the Eagles after their game against the Fins and the thoughts during/after they played us.

Point is - I am back to my earlier stance that any opponent can give us trouble. Prior to the Eagles game I was confident that we will comfortably win based on our amazing performance until then. But now, I am glad to become nervous before every game.

Still can't get over the fact that the Eagles backup QB moved the ball so well against our defense in our home! :eek:

If this was the Ravens' defense of a few years ago I'd be worried. It isn't.

The Ravens D, much like their coach, have been living off of their laurels for a while now. They've been shredded by lesser offensive teams and I have no reason to believe the same can't happen tonight.

Their offense is abyssmal, worse than the Chiefs. Just horrible.

All this talk about Brady getting hit/hurt tonight is going to be just that, talk.

I am sick and tired of all this Raven "Superbowl" talk and how their "D" is going to bring it and how we need be afraid.

I don't think so....last time I checked WE are 11-0 and they suck.

If they want to think it's their Superbowl, good for them, it;'s just another game for us - an important game, but no more important than the other 18 we will win this year.

Pats will romp and shut up the loudmouth Ravens along the way.

Ravens dont concern me, especially this defence they're still under the impression they have. Not many, if anybody, gets into Brady's head either, he's ice. Talk all they want about how they like to do this, that, the other. Fact is they're not all that this year and they're not getting it done.

Baltimore need to worry about their own problems rather than talking themselves up for a fight they're not even going to put up.

The key as always is protection. Give Brady a chance to wait an extra second on the crossing routes and the Ravens are toast. Anyone in Baltimore please slip Kaczur an extra pre-game Red Bull and hopefully avoid the seemingly predictable 1st quarter whiff that is going to get Brady killed someday.

You are correct, sir.

An off-season upgrade at RT is needed. Either move Light to RT and draft a LT, or draft a RT. I'm disappointed that Wesley Britt hasn't been given a longer look at RT, and it appears that O'Callahan hasn't shown the foot speed needed to hold back DE/OLBs.

I am less concerned about the Ravens tonight than I am about the Steelers, who last night nearly tore Palmer's knees, again, on a late low hit. Those guys are the Philadelphia Flyers of the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes