PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens or Chargers...who would you rather face in round 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pats CBs arn't good enough to leave manned up with our WRs with Rivers throwing the ball so they won't be able to stack the box. No base D can stop LT so our offense would roll. Their Oline isn't good enough to stop our pass rush. Their WRs arn't going to have huge days on our CBs. They don't have a TE they can expose our weak play in the middle of the field with. Brady is overrated and always has been.

What WR does SD have that we cannot cover? Gates is awesome, but he is only one guy.

We don't have a TE to expose their middle???? Right on, we have 3 of them lol.

Wrong. We so are excitingly anticipating the Pats playing in San Diego that we are all rooting for you guys to remain the 4th seed and win your first game simply because you do not match up well with us.:D

And as perhaps best stated below with the caveat that unlike a few of us most of us give Brady great credit: http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=37931&page=2

Originally Posted by HeadTrip
The Pats are full of holes and they are the team I would most want to play of any playoff team outside of the Jets.

The pats CBs arn't good enough to leave manned up with our WRs with Rivers throwing the ball so they won't be able to stack the box. No base D can stop LT so our offense would roll. Their Oline isn't good enough to stop our pass rush. Their WRs arn't going to have huge days on our CBs. They don't have a TE they can expose our weak play in the middle of the field with. Brady is overrated and always has been.

I would love to see that team come into SD. They just don't have matchups they can exploit.

Well, how can I agrue with such an unbiased homer analysis.

I've seen just about every SD game this year. The defense is amazingly overrated due to ESPN's obession with Merriman. It is good, but not great.

The offense lives & dies with LT. Pats strength is their run D. Not sure how you don't see that as a good matchup.

Your WRs are pedestrian at best and can be hanlded man-to-man. VJax is improving, but still a work in progress who needs to learn how to catch better.

But the biggest wild card/chink is the play of Rivers and if he can be money when it counts. If I were a SD fan I would not be encouraged by his play the last few weeks. What kind of mental attitude will he be in when he is an ultra-hyped Brady vs. Rivers game, Rivers the pro-bowler, Brady the snub. All eyes will be on him and his play, we'll see how he reacts.

Well, how can I agrue with such an unbiased homer analysis.

I've seen just about every SD game this year. The defense is amazingly overrated due to ESPN's obession with Merriman. It is good, but not great.

The offense lives & dies with LT. Pats strength is their run D. Not sure how you don't see that as a good matchup.

Your WRs are pedestrian at best and can be hanlded man-to-man. VJax is improving, but still a work in progress who needs to learn how to catch better.

But the biggest wild card/chink is the play of Rivers and if he can be money when it counts. If I were a SD fan I would not be encouraged by his play the last few weeks. What kind of mental attitude will he be in when he is an ultra-hyped Brady vs. Rivers game, Rivers the pro-bowler, Brady the snub. All eyes will be on him and his play, we'll see how he reacts.

Everybody is a "homer" whether at home or away.

But as it is, I am less of a homer than most and I was not the author of the message you are referring to just the messenger.;)

The difference between our defenses is that we can bring consistent pass pressure on every down and still hold down the run while your defense can hold down the run better but does not generate consistent pass pressure on the QB.

I agree with you assessment of our pass receivers until you include both Gates and LT neither of whom are pedestrian and both of whom did damage to you last year.

And in regard to Rivers, he has demonstrated the ability to get the job done particularly in the 4th quarter despite struggling in several games and as best reflected by the fact that he has the highest 4th quarter QB rating and proven by the fact that his team has won 9 games in a row all of which he made the plays when needed to win.

The greatest concern of Bolts Fans (and consequently your best hope) is that Marty suddenly reverts to Martyball in the sense of conservatively play-calling with a small lead. Personally, I believe Marty has finally learned his lesson as evidenced in many of the games during our winning streak and thus MartyBall will not be an issue in the play-offs.

ravens. Sandiego can score a lot of points, I think our defense matches up better against the ravens.

But as it is, I am less of a homer than most and I was not the author of the message you are referring to just the messenger.;)

The difference between our defenses is that we can bring consistent pass pressure on every down and still hold down the run while your defense can hold down the run better but does not generate consistent pass pressure on the QB.

I agree with you assessment of our pass receivers until you include both Gates and LT neither of whom are pedestrian and both of whom did damage to you last year.

And in regard to Rivers, he has demonstrated the ability to get the job done particularly in the 4th quarter despite struggling in several games and as best reflected by the fact that he has the highest 4th quarter QB rating and proven by the fact that his team has won 9 games in a row all of which he made the plays when needed to win.

The greatest concern of Bolts Fans (and consequently your best hope) is that Marty suddenly reverts to Martyball in the sense of conservatively play-calling with a small lead. Personally, I believe Marty has finally learned his lesson as evidenced in many of the games during our winning streak and thus MartyBall will not be an issue in the play-offs.

Yes, sorry, I knew you were re-posting a homer opinion, didn't mean to direct it at you. ;)

Of course I negelected to mention that while defensively SD is overrated, unfortunately they match up well vs. NE, which means you can put pressure on Brady by only rushing 4. When teams shut down Brady, that is how they do it. If the Pats can neutralize Merriman's pass rush, the offense will succeed vs. SD. Alternately, establishing a strong groudn game would do the trick.

I also agree that your biggest fear as a Charger fan could be Marty locking up in a playoff game, sitting on a 7 pt lead and just pounding the ball and then ultimately losing. Maybe he has learned, we'll see, but history seems to indicate that a person makes a certain type of decision in a certain situation,, and they will continue to make the same decision when confronted with a similar situation. So while Marty has aired it out lately in the reg. season, it remains to be seen if come playoffs he will be happy with a 7-10 pt lead in the 4th, or go for the jugular a la Sean Payton.

i say the league should test the charger girls right before the playoffs and make sure merriman, castillo, and some of those other "dirty" sob's are clean.

Yes, sorry, I knew you were re-posting a homer opinion, didn't mean to direct it at you. ;)

Of course I negelected to mention that while defensively SD is overrated, unfortunately they match up well vs. NE, which means you can put pressure on Brady by only rushing 4. When teams shut down Brady, that is how they do it. If the Pats can neutralize Merriman's pass rush, the offense will succeed vs. SD. Alternately, establishing a strong groudn game would do the trick.

I also agree that your biggest fear as a Charger fan could be Marty locking up in a playoff game, sitting on a 7 pt lead and just pounding the ball and then ultimately losing. Maybe he has learned, we'll see, but history seems to indicate that a person makes a certain type of decision in a certain situation,, and they will continue to make the same decision when confronted with a similar situation. So while Marty has aired it out lately in the reg. season, it remains to be seen if come playoffs he will be happy with a 7-10 pt lead in the 4th, or go for the jugular a la Sean Payton.

Fair enough in regard to Marty and I would only add do not forget about Shaun "the other guy" Phillips.:)

not true...when away I am more Bart-esque

Here is a slighly less biased homer analysis::)

Quote:
Originally Posted by padrejunkie
Pats fans are relishing a chance to face San Diego in San Diego...

Let's revisit the last two meetings between the clubs...

2002 - 21-14, LT ran for 237 and three TDs
2004 - 41-17, ended NE 21 game home winning streak and ***** slapped the Pats in their own house

let's look at how the current teams would match up

NE------------SD-----------Advantage
QB----------Defense--------NE, Brady can pick apart most any defense
RBs---------DL, LB---------Chargers, you can't run on the Chargers with those backs
WR, TE-------CB------------Chargers, NE best is Reche Caldwell?
OL------------DL------------Chargers, will manhandle the Pats O-line
Defense-------QB-----------New England, Bellichick will have a scheme to stop Rivers
DL, LB---------RBs-----------Chargers, TNT will run ove NE
CB------------WR, TE--------Chargers, Gates offsets an average recieving corp
OL------------DL-------------Even, studs on both sides
Coach-------Coach-----------New England, see those Lombardi trophies?
Intangibles---Intangibles------Chargers, playing at home, hungrier and know they can beat the Patriots

If San Diego commits no turnovers 38-14 vistory and on to the next step in the playoffs. Donnie Edwards is the Brady stopper, he has picked off passes in both of his last games against Brady.

Strength of Schedule and Strength of Victory was an argument someone used in New England's favor. Strength of Victory is bouyed by the game against Chicago who is 13-2. Have the Pats beaten any other teams with 9 or more wins? Let's look at two of those four losses, Denver and Indianapolis. Can't even keep up with a team that can't score and one that can't stop anyone else from scoring. You got shut out by the Miami Dolphins and Joey Harrington. Going 4-0 against the NFC doesn't impress me, nor does going 2-1 against the AFC South. 4-2 in the AFC East where you get to play pretenders that are the Jets, Bills and Dolphins doesn't impress me either. The Patriots could not beat a team that the Chargers spanked all over two football fields this year in the Broncos.

ADVANTAGE----CHARGERS

Why would you think that the Pats backs can't run on the Chargers? The Chargers aren't good against the run. They haven't given up a large amount of yards for the season but that is because they have played with big leads.

The Chargers give up 4.2 yards per carry - they are in the bottom 3rd in the league in that category.

Wrong. We so are excitingly anticipating the Pats playing in San Diego that we are all rooting for you guys to remain the 4th seed and win your first game simply because you do not match up well with us.:D

And as perhaps best stated below with the caveat that unlike a few of us most of us give Brady great credit: http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=37931&page=2

Originally Posted by HeadTrip
The Pats are full of holes and they are the team I would most want to play of any playoff team outside of the Jets.

I would love to see that team come into SD. They just don't have matchups they can exploit.

Gotta love the arrogance of Bolts fans. Their QB is fading. Their coach has historically chocked it off over and over again when it counts and yet they're already engraving the trophy.

Gotta love the arrogance of Bolts fans. Their QB is fading. Their coach has historically chocked it off over and over again when it counts and yet they're already engraving the trophy.

Some Can Most Can Not!:singing:

So enjoy your somewhat humble pie as it will taste even better in bitter defeat.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes