PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens or Chargers...who would you rather face in round 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakes781

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know we shouldn't look ahead, but in deciding who we'd rather face Denver or NYJ we are also deciding who we'd be facing in the 2nd round if we are to advance. By getting the #3 seed we would gaurantee avoiding the Chargers in the 2nd round. However the Ravens probably have the best D in the NFL right now.

I know we shouldn't look ahead, but in deciding who we'd rather face Denver or NYJ we are also deciding who we'd be facing in the 2nd round if we are to advance. By getting the #3 seed we would gaurantee avoiding the Chargers in the 2nd round. However the Ravens probably have the best D in the NFL right now.

Chargers.

Belichick vs. a rookie QB and Shottenheimer? I'll take those odds every day, especially in the playoffs.

just win one game ..of our 4 losses 2 have come against the jets or denver .
both are well coached teams which makes me nervous

Ravens because if there is any other coach that gives Belichick fits is Shottenheimer. Belichick has a losing record against him and it's very one sided like 2-7 or something like that.

Definitely the Chargers. They are novices in the postseason, but we would be underdogs across the board in that game :) They have been playing well but are not unbeatable. We can matchup well on both sides of the ball.

I think we will meet them eventually so I'd rather get them coming off a bye and hopefully out of rhythm. I'd love to play the 'Martyball' card but Cowher proved last year that a coach can change his ways in the playoffs.

Ravens because if there is any other coach that gives Belichick fits is Shottenheimer. Belichick has a losing record against him and it's very one sided like 2-7 or something like that.

Ravens, nice short flight for the pats not that it shoould matter, plus possibility of a snow game.

Ravens.

We have a better record. Wide Receivers are soft. Jamal Lewis long in the tooth. Unfortunately I see us playing Denver.

no doubt: BAL

Both would be very tough games but I think if you have to choose you have to pick San Diego.

Right now they have a rookie QB who is self destructing in front of everyone's eyes. The longer the season has gone the worse Rivers has looked. He is completing 33% of his passes his last 2 weeks in what were must win games for his team.

Add in that it would be his first playoff game and that Marty coaches tight in the playoffs - that is the best shot for an upset win for any AFC team on the road in round 2.

I watch a lot of SD games out here in LA, and Chargers have looked supremely beatable the last few weeks. As has been stated, Rivers is beginning to crack as the pressure mounts.

I think we actually match up well against them: if we can shut down LT (as much as he can be anyway) and force Rivers to throw, I like our chances.

Plus, I think it would be an excellent psychological edge for the Pats to beat the consensus best team in football in round 2. I think that gives NE a huge boost heading into the AFCC, no matter who the opponent is.

I watch a lot of SD games out here in LA, and Chargers have looked supremely beatable the last few weeks. As has been stated, Rivers is beginning to crack as the pressure mounts.

I think we actually match up well against them: if we can shut down LT (as much as he can be anyway) and force Rivers to throw, I like our chances.

Plus, I think it would be an excellent psychological edge for the Pats to beat the consensus best team in football in round 2. I think that gives NE a huge boost heading into the AFCC, no matter who the opponent is.

shouldn't "best team in football" be in quotes ? i'd say more like best record in football. best team has yet to be decided.

shouldn't "best team in football" be in quotes ? i'd say more like best record in football. best team has yet to be decided.

Ha, funny, I was going to quote it, but I dont think it's necessary as if you look at any ranking of the top teams in the NFL I highly doubt you will find one poll without SD at #1. Hence, the consensus is that they are the best team in football, and I don't think you can argue that the consensus is otherwise.

We'll see if the consensus teams ends up truly being the best team, but for now until proven otherwise on the field they are the consensus best team.

It's not the Patriots way to overlook our next opponent. In the words of BB, when it comes to a playoff opponent, "it is what it is" or I guess better said "it is what it will be when we get there"

A historical fact often conveniently forgotten when Pats Fans spout the history of Marty.:)

I think you are right on. Stop LT and the Chargers lose. I understand that LT is the best RB in football, but I like our front 3 (I believe Wilfork is healthy or will be by week 17) against any RB in the league. Take away the fluke MJD play last week and we shut him down. Look at the second half.

No doubt LT can smear anyone, but I think we could keep him to 100 yards. IMO, that would be enough to win.

I really don't care. We have to be able to beat both of them if we want to go anywhere.

I think you are right on. Stop LT and the Chargers lose. I understand that LT is the best RB in football, but I like our front 3 (I believe Wilfork is healthy or will be by week 17) against any RB in the league. Take away the fluke MJD play last week and we shut him down. Look at the second half.

No doubt LT can smear anyone, but I think we could keep him to 100 yards. IMO, that would be enough to win.

Problem for Chargers is the two teams that match up best vs. them is Pats & Ravens. They're probably hoping NE gets the #3 seed, which means worst case scenario for them is they only have to beat one of Bal or NE.

I really don't care. We have to be able to beat both of them if we want to go anywhere.

I agree, as well as having to beat our first round opponent. The bigger question for me is which of the two has the better possibility of beating the Colts. Yes, I know the Colts D is bad, but if Peyton can get them a two touchdown lead, then the D's flaws are harder to exploit. I think the Chargers O is better suited to run with Peyton's O, so I'd prefer the Colts face the Charges. So I guess, I'd prefer the Ravens for the Pats.

If Indy, NY and Denver all win this week, we'll be facing Denver, SD and (likely) the Ravens. If Indy loses to the Phins, it's the Jets, Ravens and (likely) SD. We'll have our hands full from beginning to end, but I like the thought of playing and beating the best. So bring on Denver, SD and Baltimore. No more wishing to face weaker teams first. Let's exorcise the Bronco demons and get this thing rolling with confidence.

Problem for Chargers is the two teams that match up best vs. them is Pats & Ravens. They're probably hoping NE gets the #3 seed, which means worst case scenario for them is they only have to beat one of Bal or NE.

Wrong. We so are excitingly anticipating the Pats playing in San Diego that we are all rooting for you guys to remain the 4th seed and win your first game simply because you do not match up well with us.:D

And as perhaps best stated below with the caveat that unlike a few of us most of us give Brady great credit: http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=37931&page=2

Originally Posted by HeadTrip
The Pats are full of holes and they are the team I would most want to play of any playoff team outside of the Jets.

The pats CBs arn't good enough to leave manned up with our WRs with Rivers throwing the ball so they won't be able to stack the box. No base D can stop LT so our offense would roll. Their Oline isn't good enough to stop our pass rush. Their WRs arn't going to have huge days on our CBs. They don't have a TE they can expose our weak play in the middle of the field with. Brady is overrated and always has been.

I would love to see that team come into SD. They just don't have matchups they can exploit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down