PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens lose!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ravens lose!! The Bye is ours to f up

First things first, Take care of business tomorrow nite.

Without looking ahead check out next week's match ups

Broncos @ Ravens 1pm
Colts @ Texans 1pm
49'ers @ Pats 8:20pm

Not sure if other 2 can/will be flexed so lets say games stay at 1pm,
by 4:30'ish PO picture gets reeeeal interesting.

Last edited:
Definitely need to win out. And also hope for a Broncos loss to the Ravens and/or a Texans loss to the Colts in one of the two. But as said, ONE GAME AT A TIME.

if we win out..we will get at least #2 seed

This is written before the Houston game.

If the Patriots win out I think the worst they can get is #2 seed.

Edit: yes, even with no help, the second seed if they win out.

Last edited:
A tough schedule in December is better preparation for the post season. Getting a bye 1 or 2 would be gravy.

Last edited:
One game at a time guys,,,lets take care of Houston tomorrow first and lets see how we stand before Miami's game to start making these predictions. GO PATS.

No. I don't play for the team, so I'm going to enjoy being a fan and think past tomorrow's game. Maybe the Pats get the 1 seed, maybe they end up with the 4 seed... either way it's fun to look at the possibilities.

I do agree w/ one thing you said, though. GO PATS!

Edited thread title.

We need to keep our thread titles to at least a 6th grade level.:D

Well there's hope ... we're probably within 3 grades or so.

Edited thread title.

We need to keep our thread titles to at least a 6th grade level.:D

Actually a sixth grader swears like a sailor when he can. We need to keep our thread titles as if a grown up wrote them.

(I say "grown up" because "adult" implies something else.:) )

Never really thought the Ravens were realistically in the race. I have been saying for a while now that the byes are a three way race between the Pats, Texans, and Broncos.

I don't think the Pats have as tough of a stretch as people think. The Texans and 49ers have both been trending down lately. The Texans really haven't beaten anyone since the first half of the season either. They are definitely not cakewalks, but I don't think either are nearly as tough a challenge as we thought a month ago.

I think the Texans could be the odd team out. They have the Pats and Colts twice. I can see two losses for them with their defense struggling.

If the Pats win tomorrow night, they will have the head to head and three way tie sewn up with both the Texans and Broncos. They will have beaten both team and since all three teams played each other the tiebreaker in a three way tie would be records against each other. The Pats would be 2-0 and the Texans are 1-1 and the Broncos are 0-2.

The Texans would be #2 in a 3 way tie at 13-3 right?

If it is 50-50 that means you have a better chance at winning the superbowl if you have a bye. there's 4 teams with byes. there's 8 teams without byes

Except it's not 50/50

5 out of the last 7 Super Bowl winners havent had a bye.

6 out of the last 7 Super Bowl winners haven't been the #1 seed

There have been more #6 seeds who have won the Super Bowl in recent years than #1 seeds.

Why is this? My wild theory would be that post season success depends on teams playing to peak performance during the playoffs. Having a week off, while good for health, may not be helpful in keeping a team at peak performance.

I wouldn't pencil in the Broncos for the 2 seed just yet. Getting Ray Lewis back will somewhat stabilize the Ravens' defense. If Reed remains healthy, they're very likely to beat Denver. For the Patriots, Houston is going to be a stiff test, but the 49ers are very beatable at Gillette, especially if Kaepernick is playing.

We just might have to root for the Ravens next week. I am somewhat confident they'll get loss #5 either vs. NYG or @ Cincy so even if we lose a game we'd still be ahead of them and Denver if Balt wins it. If Denver wins that game you can all but pencil them in for 13-3 and we can't afford to lose 1.

Last edited:
Except it's not 50/50

5 out of the last 7 Super Bowl winners havent had a bye.

6 out of the last 7 Super Bowl winners haven't been the #1 seed

There have been more #6 seeds who have won the Super Bowl in recent years than #1 seeds.

Why is this? My wild theory would be that post season success depends on teams playing to peak performance during the playoffs. Having a week off, while good for health, may not be helpful in keeping a team at peak performance.

That's a very small sample size that's susceptible to a lot of variance.

Since 2005 a 1 seed has has made it to the superbowl every year except 2, 2008 and 2010 where a 2 seed made it.

So You're basically relying on the results of a 5 game sample where really only 2-3 going differently would completely undermine your point.

The bye is definitely advantageous IMO.

You could argue that a team in the Superbowl who did not get a bye may theoretically tend to be stronger than its counterpart because they had to pass a more difficult test to get there. But that's not the same as saying the bye is not advantageous.

Last edited:

In a 3 way tie with whom? If it is Pats/Den/Hou, the Pats are #1 because they beat both of the others (in this scenario you are assuming a win tomorrow)

If it is Pats/Hou/Bal, it would come down to second level tiebreakers, head to head doesn't come in to play.

I said it before that in the long run it may be beneficial if the Ravens beat the Broncos. I think that is still the case.

I wouldn't pencil in the Broncos for the 2 seed just yet. Getting Ray Lewis back will somewhat stabilize the Ravens' defense. If Reed remains healthy, they're very likely to beat Denver. For the Patriots, Houston is going to be a stiff test, but the 49ers are very beatable at Gillette, especially if Kaepernick is playing.

The Ravens are the 4th division leader the Broncos have played. They've lost to the other 3. They've won 10 games against 8 teams with a collective record of 36-65. I'm not convinced that the Broncos are anywhere near as good as the mediots make them out to be. They are improving, but until I see them beat some good teams, I'm not convinced.

The Ravens are reeling, but in some ways that makes them all the more dangerous. For all that they are jerks, they are a proud and tough team that doesn't have a history of falling apart easily. They will be at home, they've lost 2 in a row for the first time since 2009, they're coming off their first home loss in 2 years, and their pride has taken a beating. They will put every thing they have into this game. They may fall apart the next 2 weeks, but they will put every thing they have into this game, because if they lose it, they are in free fall.

I'd bet on the Ravens in this one.

I'm pretty sure it'd come down to head to head and the rankings would be:
1- Patriots (2-0 in head to head)
2- Texans (1-1)
3. Broncos (0-2)

I'm pretty sure it'd come down to head to head and the rankings would be:
1- Patriots (2-0 in head to head)
2- Texans (1-1)
3. Broncos (0-2)

In a 3 way tie with whom? If it is Pats/Den/Hou, the Pats are #1 because they beat both of the others (in this scenario you are assuming a win tomorrow)

If it is Pats/Hou/Bal, it would come down to second level tiebreakers, head to head doesn't come in to play.

Does anyone know which of these is correct? Or is it different if its Pats/Texans/Denver than if its Pats/Hou/Bal because of who played who?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey