PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens Game strategy/strengths/weaknesses - Lets discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested to see how they play Boldin out of the slot. Do they put Arrington on him and Dennard on Jones when he is outside in 11 personnel? That is really the mismatch that I think they try to exploit against our secondary.

Jones is a burner with so so hands and Boldin is slower with some of the best hands in the NFL.

I think they will go with Dennard on Boldin in 11 personnel with Arrington/Gregory bracketing Jones and McCourty/Talib bracketing Smith and the LB's covering Rice and Pitta/Dixson in Man underneath.

I forgot Boldin plays the slot. I could see your strategy coming into play and Arrington getting the nod over Dennard. Arrington's job on Cruz in the slot in the SB is the highlight of his career.

I forgot Boldin plays the slot. I could see your strategy coming into play and Arrington getting the nod over Dennard. Arrington's job on Cruz in the slot in the SB is the highlight of his career.

While Jacoby Jones isn't great, there is about a snowball's chance in hell I'd let Arrington carry him on the outside.

While Jacoby Jones isn't great, there is about a snowball's chance in hell I'd let Arrington carry him on the outside.

EDIT: Oops, misinterpreted you Jack. You want Kyle on Boldin too.

Last edited:

I would rather put him on Jones on the outside with Gregory over the top than have him on Boldin in the slot. I think Boldin would eat him up on the inside. At least there is a chance Jones drops the ball or Gregory makes a play on it. Boldin will catch it and move the chains.

To me it is a pick your poison and for me that is Arrington/Gregory on Jones and Dennard on Boldin.

I would rather put him on Jones on the outside with Gregory over the top than have him on Boldin in the slot. I think Boldin would eat him up on the inside. At least there is a chance Jones drops the ball or Gregory makes a play on it. Boldin will catch it and move the chains.

To me it is a pick your poison and for me that is Arrington/Gregory on Jones and Dennard on Boldin.

I don't. Arrington is solid as a slot corner, and can hang with the best of them, if last year's Super Bowl was any indication.

Shane vereen may be the the difference maker for the patriots.

If SHANE turns out to be a ladainian tomlinson+kevin faulk hybrid, the ravens most likely won't have an answer for it in time.

Vereen needs to shock the world :rocker:

Last edited:
I don't. Arrington is solid as a slot corner, and can hang with the best of them, if last year's Super Bowl was any indication.

I trust edleman as a slot corner more than kyle.

Maybe...but he still makes me nervous, especially with some one as big and physical as Boldin.

You are probably right, as my option would be asking two players to swap positions. And Dennard can take Jones in man allowing Gregory to cover Dennard and Arrington out of the slot from the high half.

Shane vereen may be the the difference maker for the patriots.

If SHANE turns out to be a ladainian tomlinson+kevin full hybrid, the ravens most likely won't have answer for it in time.

Vereen needs to shock the world :rocker:

As good as Vereen looked on Sunday there is no guarantee that is what he will be...he could easily revert to the fumbling Vereen. I'm not expecting a lot out of him this week, especially if Woodhead is good to go. If he has another big game then outstanding, but I think it is asking a lot to expect him to continue playing at that level after just one game.

Last edited:
As good as Vereen looked on Sunday there is no guarantee that is what he will be...he could easily revert to the fumbling Vereen. I'm not expecting a lot out of him this week, especially if Woodhead is good to go. If he has another big game then outstanding, but I think it is asking a lot to expect him to continue playing at that level after just one game.

The patriots should use a 2 back to take advantage of ray lewis over aggressiveness. Riddly-vereen combo should expose some holes in their defense.

Vereen can pass protect, catch like a wide receiver, and has 4.5 speed

Vereen looks like the real deal.

Maybe...but he still makes me nervous, especially with some one as big and physical as Boldin.

You are probably right, as my option would be asking two players to swap positions. And Dennard can take Jones in man allowing Gregory to cover Dennard and Arrington out of the slot from the high half.

My issue with Arrington is that his closing speed is pretty abysmal, and if we're looking to prevent the deep throw that means never having him on Jones/Smith.

By the way thanks to the OP for starting a no **** football thread. I was going to start a thread with my post but saw this and figured it belonged here. Its refreshing to read an x's and o's thread for once, instead of the reality show drama crap that tends to dominate this board.

Reminds me of the old days around here.

:eat3:

Say what you want but Julian edelman blitzing Vince Young and hitting him was the highlight of the 2011 regular season for me :D

Looking at it now, who on the ravens can cover vereen in coverage?

Lewis and suggs don't have the speed to contain vereen.

Last edited:
Looking at it now, who on the ravens can cover vereen in coverage?

Lewis and suggs don't have the speed to contain vereen.

Why is everyone acting like we never had a pass catcher out of the backfield?

Some guy named Woodhead has been burning LBs for 2 1/2 years now

The patriots should use a 2 back to take advantage of ray lewis over aggressiveness. Riddly-vereen combo should expose some holes in their defense.

Vereen can pass protect, catch like a wide receiver, and has 4.5 speed

Vereen looks like the real deal.

I had high hopes for him out of Cal and his development has been slower than I had expected and I know some of it was do to injury. No doubt he has the tools, and I think his future is bright.

I'm not ready to expect big contributions from him this week. If we get then awesome and one of my favorite draft picks maybe coming into his own.

I expected him to be a Forte/Rice/Best type back for us. And last week showed he has the potential to be that guy. I'm simply taking a wait and see approach.

Woodhead is nothing compared to what vereen can be.

Vereen reminded me of ladainian tomlinson against the texans.

Woody has between-the-hashmarks quickness, and I suspect that Vereen does too though I trust Danny more to make the right read inside.

Vereen also shows good outside-the-hashmarks speed & separation as well, in a way we don't really use Danny. I don't see them as interchangeable

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey