Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ravens Game strategy/strengths/weaknesses - Lets discuss

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by kkpat, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kkpat

kkpat Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lets maintain this thread for Game strategy and strengths/weaknesses of PATS vs Ravens.

Early scouting report on Patriots-Ravens - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

2. kkpat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Cross posting..

Good analysis on changes to Ravens sicne week 1.

2013 NFL playoffs -- New England Patriots, Baltimore Ravens have new looks since Week 3 meeting - ESPN Boston

Check this thread on Ravens forum. Good analysis by Ravens fans (measured and balanced analysis unlike idiotic Broncos fans who came here before they even played against Ravens and started talking trash.)

Baltimore Ravens Forum and Message Board | How we should attack the Patriots

3. Nunchucks

Nunchucks In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +200 / 13 / -7

I don't think stopping the Patriots running game will stop the Patriots offense.

Weird that there was no mention of the TEs, specifically, Hernandez.

I would look for the Patriots to take advantage of Ray Lewis.

4. MrNathanDrake

MrNathanDrake In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +474 / 21 / -16

#95 Jersey

Stop the run and Defend the deep ball.

McCourty's speed at Safety is going to be key. Aqib Talib's man-coverage will be important.

5. randomk1

randomk1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I stopped reading that thread after the first reply was talking about attacking Chung.

6. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I keep reading about Torrey Smith blowing by our secondary. I don't see it. He may make a catch but it won't be because he blew by or out ran our secondary. He and Talib both run a 4.4. I saw somewhere else that Champ ran a 4.2....yup he did in 1999! And McCourtey runs a 4.3.

7. goheels22002

goheels22002 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +323 / 2 / -12

#50 Jersey

The Ravens' running game is less daunting than it was a couple of weeks ago - Bernard Pierce is injured and he left the Broncos' game and didn't play in the 4th quarter or both overtimes. No word is out yet, but if he cannot go, Rice will have a very heavy load.

Also, Rice is over 300 carries for the season (302 after the Broncos game) and just carried the ball 30 times on Sunday - he has to be quite beaten up heading into this one. The 30 carries against the Broncos were the most in any one game all year.

I imagine that the Patriots will give the Marshall Faulk treatment to Rice on Sunday - have someone smack him on every play whether he is involved, or not.

Here's an interesting chart on the effects of 300+ carries on star NFL backs:

Effect of Running Back Carries on Future Production - FootballDocs Fantasy Football

8. RealityCheck52

RealityCheck52 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

wow.. clutching at straws comes to mind..

9. kkpat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Excuse us RealityCheck. This is our only hope...

The deadlier version of 1976 Bears are walking into our stadium and all the PATS are scared and shivering thinking of combination of the most deadliest Defense ever to walk on the surface of the earth and Better than Greatest Show on the Turf offense is coming.

We all know how your Greatest QB to ever play in NFL with his 100% accurate Deep Ball thrower is coming to torch our inferior Defense.

Looks like as your whole fandom decided Brady is so scared off your Deadlier than 1976 Bears Defense is coming that he might be afraid to step on the field on Sunday.

Our offense is only scoring 40+ points of late. How can we keep up with your fast, dynamic offense and Defense that will limit us?

10. borg

borg In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +280 / 19 / -18

Long term weather forecast shows high of 35 degrees with 25 mph wind and low of 9 degrees with wind reduced to 17 mph. Wind is good and should affect Flacco's arcing deep passes.
    Has anyone else not noticed...or should I say haven't noticed many PI penalties this post season for any of the games. Hopefully my Hobbs Syndrome won't kick in Sunday

11. RealityCheck52

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Um.. I was referring to the 300+ carry theory on why Ray Rice will not be the normal threat he is..

Ray is fresher because of Pierce who has been taking a good chunk of the load the last 4 games of the regular season it is called preparing for the Playoffs...

:)

12. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I reviewed the Ravens Broncos game. And my observations and thoughts.
    Offensively:

1. Attack Ray Lewis in both the run game and the passing game. Running crossing routes over the middle, forcing Ray to either choose a receiver to trail or sit in the middle of his zone and react to the pass. Either way he is not fast enough to recover/react in time. If/when they are in man isolate him with a RB or Hernandez out of the backfield. One example from the Denver game Tamme ran right across his face caught the ball to Lewis’ left and ran up field for a gain of about 15 yards. He is too slow.

Both Indy and Denver had their best success in the running game inside the tackles. Denver damn near ran inside the tackles exclusively. Lewis in many cases was blocked 5-7 yards down field and wasn’t a factor in the tackle unless he jumped on as someone like Ngata had already made the stop and was bringing the back to the ground. In addition Lewis, IMO, in an attempt to compensate for his speed is selling out on misdirection/counters. I suspect the Pats will try to exploit this in the running game.

2. If they can hit receivers with some consistency over Lewis it will force Pollard and Reed to cheat up a bit which should allow the Pats to take a few shots over the top.

3. Ngata/Cody and Jones were consistently pushed off the ball, Kruger was not much of a factor in the run game as he was often ridden outside as he pushed up field, out his wide 9 stance. Our line is bigger than Denver’s O-line and there is no reason they should not get the same push or better. Ridley is a better runner than Moreno and Hillman, Moreno specifically had some nice lanes to run through, if he had simply believed in his blocking. Instead more often than not, he would not see the cutback lane or would lack the patience for it to open up and try to bounce it outside, typically not getting outside the tackle.

4. Graham and to some degree the Ravens LB’s struggled to cover Stokley. Even on the play where Graham broke up a pass to Stokley, it was a result of Manning throwing behind Stokley who had Graham beat. Stokley was there for Manning most of the game. If they put Graham or Ellerbee on Welker it will be a long day for the Ravens. To Graham’s credit he is pretty good on the inside blitz.

5. Captain of the obvious: protect Brady and don’t turn the ball over

Defensively:

1. Another captain of the obvious statement. Slow down Ray Rice, he had a lot of success running inside the Denver defense. I don’t think they try to run inside on us so Nink and whoever plays the other end (do to Jones’ health) must set the edge and the LB’s have to plug their run fits quickly. In addition I think White may be used a bit more in this game playing the spy role on Rice, unless BB and Patricia feel Mayo can handle the job. I also expect him to get the Marshall treatment from Nink and Co…

2. Don’t be dumb and leave any CB in man on Smith. Every time Smith got open or made a big catch Denver was had Bailey on him in Man zero. And amazingly never came out of it. I doubt BB makes that mistake. Keep Talib on him all game and roll a safety over the top, especially when he is to Flacco’s right.

3. Force Flacco to beat you to his left with Bolden and Jones in the short to intermediate passing game. Keep a safety deep all day, don’t allow the deep ball.

4. Wilfork, Deaderick and Love (who looks like he has worked his way back into the good graces) must get pressure up the gut and get Flacco rolling out especially to his left.

5. Capitalize on the chances for turnovers in the passing game. Flacco will throw at least 3 or 4 balls up for grabs. The Pats need to come down with them.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  13. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -2

If we can sustain some early drives (8-10+ plays), I think the effective use of our hurry up offense might give them too much trouble in the second half to be effective.

Even then these guys have to travel for 2 weeks in a row, played 5+ quarters in mile high air last week. If we keep it close by the half, we can blow the doors off in the second half.

14. stelfans

stelfans On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +23 / 7 / -0

torrey smith.
    handle him=win

easy huh?

15. RealityCheck52

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Tell that to the Colts..

:)

16. stelfans

stelfans On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +23 / 7 / -0

switch torrey smith to 'deep ball':D

17. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

The Colts didn't have a problem stopping him. Don't let him get behind you and you take away his entire game. The Colts problem was they couldn't stop Pierce and to an extent Boldin.

18. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +625 / 14 / -6

#87 Jersey

Dennard vs. Boldin will be a big matchup with Talib/Mccourty neutralizing Smith. He may be on an island during some plays.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  19. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I am interested to see how they play Boldin out of the slot. Do they put Arrington on him and Dennard on Jones when he is outside in 11 personnel? That is really the mismatch that I think they try to exploit against our secondary.

Jones is a burner with so so hands and Boldin is slower with some of the best hands in the NFL.

I think they will go with Dennard on Boldin in 11 personnel with Arrington/Gregory bracketing Jones and McCourty/Talib bracketing Smith and the LB's covering Rice and Pitta/Dixson in Man underneath.

20. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

What did Reality Check do to get banned? He seemed on the up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.