PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens Game NFLN Replay - First Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of Wendell? He played guard instead of center. I'm curious about he.

Is he #63, because I thought #63 struggled mightily in space,but on running plays, Jordan ran behind a bunch.

If that was for me I'll have to look for him when I rewatch the game, I can only take away a general impression while I'm watching it through the first time. BPF may have something for you though.

Ok, no problem! :D ;)

It didn't look as bad as it sounded. I was most impressed with Crable,Mayo played great but thats what I've been hearing. Crable looked so natural in that pick off. First intercepting it,(soft hands) then running with it. I've only watched the Cassel int once but i thought it was Cassels fault not CJack.From what I remember Jackson was still running when the pass got there, and a Rvens player cut in front for the int.

Last edited:
Ok, no problem! :D ;)
Wendall #62 just drew a false start flag to catch my attention. ;)

I am liking Ventrone as a WR, give him another year on the Practice Squad and you've got Welker's back-up.

It's unusual for a team to blitz as much as the Ravens did in the first preseason game. Usually you want to see talent matchups, not scheme matchups.

But Harbaugh wanted to win his first game, and Ryan has ego issues, especially vs BB and the Pats.

Did anyone who was at the game see any indication of an injury to Vince Redd? I can't help thinking Woods came back in the game when he shouldn't have needed to.

EDIT: Redd was just back in there to knock down a Flacco pass. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for him when I rewatch.

Last edited:
I loved the Mayo de-helmeting play but what I liked most about that play, watching it a second time, was seeing Guyton jumping up and plugging the hole where the fullback was leading and then #69 Fifta (who?) taking on two linemen and holding his own. It's only one play but it was a great play all the way around.

What do you think of Wendell? He played guard instead of center. I'm curious about he.

Wendell played C/G in college as well. At this point in time he needs to gain some bulk and strength in order to seriously compete for a roster spot. He was a 2007 First Team All-WAC selection his last yr in college. Starting his frosh yr he was pretty solid player, he was selected 1st Team Freshman All-American and WAC Freshman of the Yr but in the pros his 6'2" 275 frame won't cut it. He was ok Thurs night but vs the level of competition he played with I did expect a lot more, he was overpowered many times and lost focus. I think 1 yr in the Pats strength prog will do this kid well, his best shot is the PS. Connolly on the other hand I thought was solid, one of the best performers on the line for this game. He held up well and seems strong and he can move some. If he continues at this level he has a shot at a roster spot, he has done well in camp as well. Playing C increases his versatility and shows you that the Pats think he has a chance as well. If he can do well at C he will make a strong case for a spot because he can play G as well.

Last edited:
Did anyone who was at the game see any indication of an injury to Vince Redd? I can't help thinking Woods came back in the game when he shouldn't have needed to.

EDIT: Redd was just back in there to knock down a Flacco pass. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for him when I rewatch.

Woods was back in there because we were short LB's. Redd and Guyton both impressed and Hobson might not make it if he doesn't make a move quickly. He has been a dissapointment at camp as well. He has 2 more games to make an impression.

I spotted Tank on the sidelines at the end of the game and he looked fine, had a helmet and was in full uniform but I didn't spot Aiken, anyone know his status or did anyone see him on the sidelines??

I'm working off the breakdown AWTE did over at Planet, follow the link in post #28:

Opening KO: In addition to Gost's nice directional touchback, #47 LB Gary Guyton looked to be the first one down in coverage.

AWTE has down and distance, so I'm just looking to elaborate on what he's reported.

1st Defensive snap: All three DL were double-teamed (FB/RT on Warren) and they kept a TE in for Woods. Tedy came up for the RB, leaving Mayo and A. Thomas in coverage. It also looks like Spann came down in the box leaving Meriweather as the deep center zone in AWTE's Cover-3 - he bit on the play action and was very slow to drop into coverage. Nice job by Mayo not to bite on the play action, trusting his read and Bru/DL to slow any run.

2nd snap: Woods stacking the FB and bringing down Rice was sweet, but I don't see him taking down McGahee one-armed the way he did Rice - I still think Rice would have been a great Kevin Faulk understudy, I don't think he'll last long if he's asked to carry the load. Mayo was slow to read the play, but I give him credit for stacking the RT who released off the double-team on Ty. Nice to see him take on an OT without giving ground. Wheatley did a nice job of ducking the WR's block and putting himself in position to make a play. Meriweather came in and did his Rodney tribute at the end of the play by chipping the RT for fun.

3rd snap: Both Bru and Mayo are playing run and are held by the play action. Mayo either read Boller's eyes or was expecting Woods to stay with the RB since he didn't react to the RB as a receiver after Woods released him to rush. The Ravens are very conscious of Sey and A. Thomas lined up on the right side together.

4th snap: Spann again is right down in the box playing run before he drops back. I don't see Meriweather crashing down like that on the other side and wonder if it's a called formation move or if Spann is reading run and getting burned?

5th snap: This time the camera was pulled back far enough to see Meriweather creeping up off the B-more TE motion across the formation, but he's not coming down as deeply as Spann - this is what AWTE is calling a "Robber." As noted, nice team defense by the front seven spearheaded by Mayo's outside run force. I like the speed.

6th snap: Boller must be feeling pressure from Woods working against the FB, the coverage has to be good because Boller's looking to bail out quickly. As AWTE noted, Tedy crashed the RB underneath ahead of Mayo, but was juked allowing Mayo to showcase his speed/quickness and wrap up for a short gain on the dump-off.

7th snap: Woods forced Boller to throw while falling away, the lob pass fell a little short and the RB muffed the catch. Mayo's speed continues to warm the heart.

And the Ravens kick a 42 yd FG.

Mayo, Wheatley, Woods, Bryant, and Meriweather all look solid. I didn't see enough of Spann for an assessment, but they didn't throw his way on that series for whatever that's worth.

Bummer about Tank.

I'm so glad I won't be watching this coverage in the second half, who wants to see a reporter's bare feet?

Or a piss drunk Jim Koch telling Mike Lynch he brought him flowers (hops)...nevermind wandering away right before the interview.

Last edited:
It didn't look as bad as it sounded. I was most impressed with Crable,Mayo played great but thats what I've been hearing. Crable looked so natural in that pick off. First intercepting it,(soft hands) then running with it. I've only watched the Cassel int once but i thought it was Cassels fault not CJack.From what I remember Jackson was still running when the pass got there, and a Rvens player cut in front for the int.

That's usually what happens when the WR doesn't read the blitz and the QB did... Jackson should have cut off his route and come back for a hot throw off the blitz. When he doesn't it makes it appear as if his QB threw at an empty space...

1st offensive series: Patsox23, here's my first take on Cassel & Chad.

KR: Lamont Jordan is Slater's lead blocker and fails to hold his block. His man brings down Slater at the 18 for a 20 yd return.

1st and 10: Pats balanced 2 wide, offset I left, TE left. Ravens have the SLB on the line over the TE. Run. Evans led across the formation behind RT, Yates was beaten inside forcing Maroney left for 1 yd. If he had been able to follow Evans he looked to have more running room - though Britt left the DE for Evans and went upfield as if the play was designed to go left...

2nd and 9: Shotgun, 3 wide, 2 right, TE right, RB offset right. Ravens 3-4 press coverage. Corner Blitz left side did not get picked up, but was too late for the quick throw so Kaczur may have just left him to watch inside rushers. Decent blocking. 3 step drop, Cassel made the right read, he picked Chad to be open on a go and led him with nice touch - Chad was tripped up when the CB stepped on his heel. Incomplete. Maroney had a nice block - the Ravens sent 6.

3rd and 9: Shotgun, 3 wide, 2 right, TE left, Faulk offset right. Ravens 3-4 playing off on the right, and press left. Bubble screen to Chad Jackson - last season Chad telegraphed his screens, I don't know that he did that this time, but the LB on that side either read Cassel or Jackson quickly...if Cassel had better rapport with Chad the play still might have gone, but Cassel's throw was too slow/soft allowing the LB to get there with the ball. I think lack of time together had more to do with this incompletion, I do think Cassel could have set and thrown quicker, but it appeared as if he wasn't sure of Chad and took an extra fraction of a second to set up and throw while checking where Chad was - it wasn't the snap, bam, completion of Brady to Welker or Moss. More practice needed, not a major break down. Gaffney had a nice block upfield.

4th and 9: Punt. Both gunners had good releases and coverage, Slater just outran L. Sanders to force the fair catch. Nice high, deep kick by Hanson.

- Cassel didn't move the team on that series, but other than an apparent lack of rapport with Chad Jackson, looked okay.

- Chad Jackson didn't look bad, he was tripped on the first play, he and Cassel need to get on the same page, but that's more practice together.

- There was one clear breakdown on the O-line, they did okay otherwise.

- For a preseason opening drive, there were positives to build on - score it okay.

That's usually what happens when the WR doesn't read the blitz and the QB did... Jackson should have cut off his route and come back for a hot throw off the blitz. When he doesn't it makes it appear as if his QB threw at an empty space...
This is the reason I read more then I post when it comes to the game. All though I've been watching the game for a Long time I never played it at any level and don't profess to be any kind of expert. Thinking about it that would be something I'd pickup if I was really paying attention. But I skipped most of the offense to watch the defense. Since i've gone this far, after watching Mayo's hit that launced the helmut I didn't think it was as spectaculer as advertized. It may have looked good but it wasn't as hard as people were making it out to be.

Last edited:
1st offensive series: Patsox23, here's my first take on Cassel & Chad.

KR: Lamont Jordan is Slater's lead blocker and fails to hold his block. His man brings down Slater at the 18 for a 20 yd return.

1st and 10: Pats balanced 2 wide, offset I left, TE left. Ravens have the SLB on the line over the TE. Run. Evans led across the formation behind RT, Yates was beaten inside forcing Maroney left for 1 yd. If he had been able to follow Evans he looked to have more running room - though Britt left the DE for Evans and went upfield as if the play was designed to go left...

2nd and 9: Shotgun, 3 wide, 2 right, TE right, RB offset right. Ravens 3-4 press coverage. Corner Blitz left side did not get picked up, but was too late for the quick throw so Kaczur may have just left him to watch inside rushers. Decent blocking. 3 step drop, Cassel made the right read, he picked Chad to be open on a go and led him with nice touch - Chad was tripped up when the CB stepped on his heel. Incomplete. Maroney had a nice block - the Ravens sent 6.

3rd and 9: Shotgun, 3 wide, 2 right, TE left, Faulk offset right. Ravens 3-4 playing off on the right, and press left. Bubble screen to Chad Jackson - last season Chad telegraphed his screens, I don't know that he did that this time, but the LB on that side either read Cassel or Jackson quickly...if Cassel had better rapport with Chad the play still might have gone, but Cassel's throw was too slow/soft allowing the LB to get there with the ball. I think lack of time together had more to do with this incompletion, I do think Cassel could have set and thrown quicker, but it appeared as if he wasn't sure of Chad and took an extra fraction of a second to set up and throw while checking where Chad was - it wasn't the snap, bam, completion of Brady to Welker or Moss. More practice needed, not a major break down. Gaffney had a nice block upfield.

4th and 9: Punt. Both gunners had good releases and coverage, Slater just outran L. Sanders to force the fair catch. Nice high, deep kick by Hanson.

- Cassel didn't move the team on that series, but other than an apparent lack of rapport with Chad Jackson, looked okay.

- Chad Jackson didn't look bad, he was tripped on the first play, he and Cassel need to get on the same page, but that's more practice together.

- There was one clear breakdown on the O-line, they did okay otherwise.

- For a preseason opening drive, there were positives to build on - score it okay.

Thanks Box. I was ready to CUT Cassel and all 16 offensive lineman after that game. I guess you can't go by first impressions sometimes, eh? :)

Thanks Box. I was ready to CUT Cassel and all 16 offensive lineman after that game. I guess you can't go by first impressions sometimes, eh? :)
Patience grasshopper. :D

When I look at these kids I have my service time to draw on where I worked with a lot of entry level kids, training and developing them. I recall my transfer interview with one Captain before I headed to a new station - he asked me to list my top three workers and I shocked him with one because the kid always looked slow at his work, until you stepped back and totaled up what he had done for the entire day and saw he was always near the top in productivity and quality (that interview got the kid a training/promotion opportunity he would otherwise have been denied - I always think back to that when evaluating someone). I just look at these guys the same way - one play isn't a deal killer, nor is one series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back