Ravens Extend Ed Reed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady-To-Branch

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Finally!!!!!

Some substantial football news!!!!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-reed27,0,978472.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

From PFT...

POSTED 5:25 p.m. EDT, June 27, 2006

REED GETS PAID

According to the Baltimore Sun, the Ravens have signed safety Ed Reed to a six-year contract extension, which reportedly will pay him $12 million to $15 million in guaranteed money. Per the Sun, Reed will be the highest-paid safety in the league.

Reed was scheduled to make $1.983 million in 2006, the final year of his rookie contract.

Reed was the team's first-round pick in 2002, and he was named the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 2004. He has been politicking for a new deal since then, but was stuck behind guys like Todd Heap and Jamal Lewis (who never got a long-term deal and re-signed with the team only after no one else offered him big money).

Reed's contact is likely to cause even more tension between linebacker Ray Lewis and the team, since Lewis has been campaigning for more money even longer than Reed. Indeed, there have been rumors in the past that Reed's success has created a quiet rift with Lewis, since Reed was in line to get more money before him.

when and where will ty law sign thats what i want to know.

patriotspride said:
when and where will ty law sign thats what i want to know.

Are you sure you don't mean, who cares? This isn't Pats news man, he needs to take this back to the Raven's boards huh? (Sarcasm)

Ty Law will go to highest bidder, as always. Law gives new meaning to "Greenpeace".

As for Reed, his extention will make ripples around the league.

From PFT...

POSTED 9:29 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 10:00 p.m. EDT, June 27, 2006

TAZ SEEING GREEN AFTER REED DEAL?

As an astute reader pointed out to us on Tuesday night, the new contract signed by safety Ed Reed with the Ravens could spell trouble for the Pittsburgh Steelers come 2008.

In March of that year, the team's supremely talented Tazmanian Devil, Troy Polamalu, will become an unrestricted free agent, unless he signs a long-term deal before then or the team applies to him the franchise or transition tag.

Polamalu, the team's first-round pick in 2003, is under contract for the next two seasons at salaries of $827,000 and $1.088 million.

Meanwhile, a league source tells us that Reed's new deal is believed to pay a total of $13 million over the next year, via a $7 million signing bonus and a $6 million roster bonus due in 2007, most likely in March.

And with Reed's six-year extension worth a reported $40 million, the question becomes whether the Steelers will venture into that same ballpark for Polamalu and, if not, whether Polamalu will play for less in order to stay with the team that has helped make him into a star.

If the Steelers intend to use the franchise tag in 2008, they might have trouble deciding whether to slap the tag on Taz -- or whether to use it on tailback Willie Parker, who'll likewise be eligible for unrestricted free agency after the 2007 season.

Throw in Coach Chin's contract, which expires after the 2007 season, and Big Ben's rookie contract, which expires after the 2008 campaign, and things could get very interesting in the 'Burgh over the next few years.

Ed Reed is probably the best defensive back this planet has too offer. He and Champ Bailey are pretty close but I like Reed. I'm glad he got his money, he really deserves it. I do find it interesting however that it could mean trouble for the Steelers with Polamalu. How old will Troy be when his contract is up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aqua4Ever04 said:
Ed Reed is probably the best defensive back this planet has too offer. He and Champ Bailey are pretty close but I like Reed. I'm glad he got his money, he really deserves it. I do find it interesting however that it could mean trouble for the Steelers with Polamalu. How old will Troy be when his contract is up?

(I'm not a huge fan of Ed Reed. I'm more of a Polamalu/Harrison type of guy :cool:)

pats1 said:

(I'm not a huge fan of Ed Reed. I'm more of a Polamalu/Harrison type of guy :cool:)

I could see why you would be a Harrison guy lol.;) But on my list of hated NFL players, there aren't many guys ahead of Rodney. I'm sure you can figure that one out. :)

As for Ed Reed, I remember watching him against us in 2003, and he just made every play on the field. He comes up and stops the run and strikes fear in recievers who make their living over the middle. He is the best saftey on the planet.

As for Ed Reed, I remember watching him against us in 2003, and he just made every play on the field. He comes up and stops the run and strikes fear in recievers who make their living over the middle. He is the best saftey on the planet.

He had a lot of help, two of the best corners in the game, a great linebackers core, and good ends that put pressure on the QB. He's a good player, don't get me wrong, but I personally don't like finesse players like him. I more into intimidating, physical presences like Taylor, and Harrison.

I think the best safety in the game right now is Adrian Wilson.

mavfan2390 said:
He had a lot of help, two of the best corners in the game, a great linebackers core, and good ends that put pressure on the QB. He's a good player, don't get me wrong, but I personally don't like finesse players like him. I more into intimidating, physical presences like Taylor, and Harrison.

I think the best safety in the game right now is Adrian Wilson.

You are very right about his surrounding cast. He couldn't have asked for a better defense to grow and learn with. But the fact of the matter is, he is still the best safety in the league IMO.

He can be put on an island with a big time reciever, and he can come up and lay a hit on the RB or the QB. Any reciever that comes over the middle on him pays. I don't really understand what you mean by finesse because Reed hits hard and people fear him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back