PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens' defensive game plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Shane Vereen? Do you think he is the real deal and will force Baltimore to have to deal with him or will they still overlook him, allowing the Pats to use like they did against the Texans?

Making a pognistication here but I think Vereen will be a big part of the today's gameplan for a number of reasons...

-Woody's thumb. It may not be broken but for anyone whos had a thumb injury, handling a football is a bit harder- especially in the cold.

-Vereen is a more explosive player than Woody in the running game. A bit stronger running in between the tackles. Bolden may be used in this capacity as well.

-Vereen has improved in pass protection and seems that the coaching staff has more confidence in him if he is put in that situation where he needs to protect TB.

-With the windy conditions, seems that a shorter passing game might be in order. Woody might get an edge here but Vereen is pretty good as well.

But the Pats run offense and the Ravens run defense sort of progressed in opposite directions over the season ...

Agree. But i have seen pats have a mindset about certain teams and play them like that . Just like when playing the steelers. Maybe they will run a bit more but I think it will more just to keep balt honest. At early on its going to be a lot of the short passing game to make the ravens cover sideline to sideline. May be odd to say this but edelman will be missed from week 3 in this kind of attack. Vereen may replace him but not sure he can run crossing routes up the middle .

SVN said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fencer

Nickel defense against the Pats' hurry-up? That means you'll have to defend a lot of third-and-shorts.

Not a totally crazy idea even if Ridley is the RB. More sensible if it's Woodhead or Vereen. Unlikely to work in any case ... but the same is true of any other plan they'd try.

Thats assuming pats run a lot. Somehow I see this as a pass heavy game plan from the pats. Thats what they went with in week 3 . Not very much running.
They ran 34 times

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

Agree. But i have seen pats have a mindset about certain teams and play them like that . Just like when playing the steelers. Maybe they will run a bit more but I think it will more just to keep balt honest. At early on its going to be a lot of the short passing game to make the ravens cover sideline to sideline. May be odd to say this but edelman will be missed from week 3 in this kind of attack. Vereen may replace him but not sure he can run crossing routes up the middle .

From and offensive/defensive standpoint, a lot has changed.

-AH did not play.
-Vereen was not involved in the offense.
-Gronk is out and while he certainly was accounted for by the BAL defense, he only had 2 catches
-WW and BL had very good games.

BAL's best cover guy in Webb played and is on IR this time around.

They did not have Suggs but IMO is not 2011 Suggs.

Flacco had the game of his life.

A few players getting "cramp" :rolleyes:

It seems that most teams would fear Welker, Hernandez and/or the run game more than Lloyd or other threats -- all the more if the game is played on a windy night.

The Ravens, further, must be thinking that having a weak run defense "isn't them", and they should be able to fix it.

Proceed from there?

If I'm the Ravens, here's how I try to defend the Patriots.

First, play an extra DB and take out a LB. They will need more speed on the field to deal with the Pats' passing game.

Second, I realize that this makes them vulnerable to the run, but they just have to hope that guys like Ngata, Cody, and McPhee hold up stoutly against the run, which they are capable of doing, by the way. Trust them to have big games.

Third, I really try to take away the short-mid range passes in the middle of the field. Use the two LBs that I have left to clog the middle and force guys like Welker and Hernandez out wide. The Patriots kill teams over the middle.

Fourth, I play tight press coverage across the board and, especially in what looks like windy conditions, make the Pats try to throw deep. Along with that, I try to bring lots of pressure, especially up the middle to get in Brady's face. Force them to make quick throws, but be playing press coverage. If they blitz and stay back in a soft zone, Brady will annihilate them. So force Brady to get rid of the ball quickly, but hopefully choke off the quick routes and make them go over the top.

Fifth, try like crazy to control the tempo with the defense. Every tackle, lay on the Pats' ballcarrier for an extra couple of seconds, which gives us more time to get a substitution in if necessary. Delay, delay, delay, and emphasize getting off the field on 3rd down.

They have the talent to do the things I list above. When they are playing well, the Ravens' D is a handful. But all these things really have to break right. For example, if they do everything but Ngata and company cannot control the line of scrimmage, the Pats will run right over the smaller, faster Ravens lineup. Or if they try to bring pressure but the Pats succeed in picking it up, Brady will slice and dice them. Or if they try press coverage and Welker, Lloyd, and Hernandez beat it, they'll have a field day. You get what I mean.

There's a game plan out there that can work against NE; but it all has to go right.

If the ravens allow the pats to run the ball and pats manage to win with the running game, ravens wont be disappointed as much if they allow pats to pass. Make the pats run the ball and see if they can force mistakes when pats throw. Not very difficult to implement because for all the running, pats do like to throw. We saw even last week on 3rd and 2 we were throwing it deep.

Don't get locked into position pre-snap
Disguise, disguise, disguise
Beat the hell out of Welker
Beat the hell out of Hernandez
Keep Lllllllllllllloyd in front of you
Stunts on the interior of the line

Really they're just going to try the SB gameplan the Giants always use. It's what everyone tries but few teams can pull off against us.

Brandon Lloyd 1st game: 9 receptions 108 yards

Double Welker and Hernandez and pray he doesn't do that again. Without Webb, they are kindof screwed as none of their CBs can single cover any of Welker, Lloyd, Hernandez.

The mediots really aren't mentioning Webb, but he's a big loss. A top 5-10 CB and may of made another leap this year if he didn't get hurt.

If the ravens allow the pats to run the ball and pats manage to win with the running game, ravens wont be disappointed as much if they allow pats to pass. Make the pats run the ball and see if they can force mistakes when pats throw. Not very difficult to implement because for all the running, pats do like to throw. We saw even last week on 3rd and 2 we were throwing it deep.

That's a trap though. The ravens would give up runs just so they can get a big hit on brady after a play action.

The ravens will play pass all game because they think the patriots are not that committed to it.

Confusion.

Ed Reed at rover in Nickel and dime coverage, double disguise defense, Solder overloads with Suggs and Krueger, change between one and two gap technique and so on.

You can only beat this offense if you attack and confuse them. Even then this team could put up 30.

In week 3, Pats looked like they were tipping their runs from no huddle when Brady gave last second instructions to the RB before the snap. On those plays, Baltimore often sold out to stop the run.

look for the Pats to go against those tendencies and catch Baltimore flat footed today.

Regards,
Chris

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

Some tweets from bedard whose film study i respect

@GregABedard You honestly think this Raven D is that good? I watched both the Colts and Broncos move the ball on them.

@buggyl They Patriots aren't that explosive against multiple defenses without Gronk

Brian Lundy ‏@buggyl
@GregABedard When you say multiple Def what do you mean by that ? Statistically Houston is a better unit.

@buggyl a defense that can do different things in the front and back end. Don't pay attention to Houston results.

@buggyl if you're not exotic in scheme, you better be way more talented. Texans are neither vs NE. Predictable mauling

Get after Brady if you focus on the playmakers you will lose.

Some tweets from bedard whose film study i respect

Lundy is right. But Baltimore needs to be more exotic in scheme too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back