PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens' defensive game plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
It seems that most teams would fear Welker, Hernandez and/or the run game more than Lloyd or other threats -- all the more if the game is played on a windy night.

The Ravens, further, must be thinking that having a weak run defense "isn't them", and they should be able to fix it.

Proceed from there?

I think they try to take welker and Hernandez out, this is where our run game and Lloyd and Hooman have to stand out. I think Brady should look for Hooman, I don't think they will be expecting him to be thrown too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't need defense. They're a team of Jestiny, umm Density, errr Colostomy!

Blitz Bernard Pollard and aim low. :bricks:

Allot of pollard in the box, jam and reroute all the underneath stuff and take your chances with a single high safety. They wil completely disregard th deep ball and try to funnel everything inside to get punished. They'll do this in nickel.
They know NE is gonna to try to keep them on the field so I think they will decide to stick with an extra db and just sub when they can. If they simplify by choosing one or two packages they can cut down on the confusion by limiting the calls. Just play ball!

hope brady gets the flu tonight?

Get as many Late-Hits on Tom Brady as possible

One thing I have noticed is that the Patriots definitely have a keen awarenesss of the first down marker. So, on 3rd and long, i would make sure i have those areas well defended on defense.

On [Ravens] Offense, the middle about +5-10 yards after the first down marker might be a fairly soft area to exploit against the Patriots defense.

I think they are going to be physical with the receivers and test the refs on how much contact they can get away with. I really hope the level of contact allowed is consistent for both teams. Unlike the game in week three

Nickel defense against the Pats' hurry-up? That means you'll have to defend a lot of third-and-shorts.

Not a totally crazy idea even if Ridley is the RB. More sensible if it's Woodhead or Vereen. Unlikely to work in any case ... but the same is true of any other plan they'd try.

Nickel defense against the Pats' hurry-up? That means you'll have to defend a lot of third-and-shorts.

Not a totally crazy idea even if Ridley is the RB. More sensible if it's Woodhead or Vereen. Unlikely to work in any case ... but the same is true of any other plan they'd try.

Thats assuming pats run a lot. Somehow I see this as a pass heavy game plan from the pats. Thats what they went with in week 3 . Not very much running.

Crowd the ten yard square in front of the QB and force deep throws

Mix up tons of different defensive looks, all while trying to avoid terrible matchups with the LBs.

I assume it'll be the same as the last two times they played us. They've done pretty well. Also every interview I see on Ravens players they just say "we need to execute better", and that's how I imagine they'd go into this game as well.

Mix up tons of different defensive looks, all while trying to avoid terrible matchups with the LBs.

If that is a major part of the plan, the hurry-up will kill them and force a bunch of 12-men on the field penalties, or make them use their timeouts on defense.

Thats assuming pats run a lot. Somehow I see this as a pass heavy game plan from the pats. Thats what they went with in week 3 . Not very much running.

But the Pats run offense and the Ravens run defense sort of progressed in opposite directions over the season ...

That's a defense you use to attack a specific weakness in an offense -- maybe Denver last year with Tebow at QB. But I tell you what, if TFB/JM can't beat the kind of defense (provided the OL does its job) that has defenders crowding that close to the line? The Patriots were fatally flawed and didn't deserve to go to the SB.

I think its this, too. Focus on Welker and Hernandez and the run. With cold weather and wind, the best poison to pick is the deep ball. They'll need some luck to avoid long completions, but that's the best of the options. This is why no Gronk really does hurt us.

What about Shane Vereen? Do you think he is the real deal and will force Baltimore to have to deal with him or will they still overlook him, allowing the Pats to use like they did against the Texans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots