PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rate Cassel today

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right about the dropped INT by the Rams but the second INT was less his fault than the first (which I don't put on him either). It was a perfect strike to Welker who fell down after the ball was released. Welker's man had good coverage and without Welker there the ball went right to him.

If Welker hadn't fallen it would have been a big pickup.

I know Welker fell, it seemed to me Cassel threw it where Welker was supposed to be without noticing that Welker fell but maybe i need to watch that replay again.

Homers rule and whiners drool.... :D Go Mattyice!

B+. He played very well. the two INTs were unfortunate, but on one of them the receiver fell down and there were a couple of really crappy drops that were definitely not his fault.

I was very pleased overall.

All I will say is that we have a great NFL QB on IR. WE now have a good NFL QB running the team.

And, I didn't even have him on the team when I did my 53 man roster projection. Another reason I post on a message board and BB is making millions coaching the team.:rolleyes:

Another reason I post on a message board and BB is making millions coaching the team.:rolleyes:

But you do a very good job posting!

I also forgot that Cassel's first INT was a tipped ball. So yeah, two INTs but neither was egregious.

I know Welker fell, it seemed to me Cassel threw it where Welker was supposed to be without noticing that Welker fell but maybe i need to watch that replay again.

That's because in a timing offense Cassel is supposed to anticipate and throw to the spot often just as the receiver is coming out of his break. As Matt released that ball the turf gremlins grabbed Welker by the ankles and he about face planted himself. Otherwise he'd have been where that ball went before the defender with an in stride catch and juke he's potentially off to the races.

We left some serious points on that field today, but the good news was it wasn't because we didn't have a capable QB. It was because our veteran receivers weren't consistently focused - and that can be remedied because they're pros. They have to elevate their game consistently as core leaders plain and simple. Matt's making appreciable strides now and we can't afford not to take advantage of that. He has to be able to trust his receivers to make plays - easy and difficult ones - for him in order to continue to build on this thing.

I guess I saw a different game. He is almost always either a little late or a little behind his receivers. If he hit some of his receivers in stride they would be TDs. I saw only half dozen very good throws.

He did play well at the end of the game. However, for most of the game his receivers were open and there was no rush. Yet he couldn’t get it done. This game should have been a rout like Denver. I give him a C.

I tend to agree with you. I did see the things you saw also.
But he did some good things. Made a few good 3rd down plays
My B+ is probably too high but I can't see how anyone thinks this is
an A- or better rating.
What will they give him when he gets 3 TDs and 300+ yds and
looks like Tom Brady, an AA++ :confused:

A- from me. I don't think either INT was his fault. He could have had a lot more yards and TDs if not for some dropped balls and great defensive plays. Other than the near interception that was dropped and sliding before the first down, I can't remember any real mistakes.

Solid B today. One of the ints was not his fault, and he hit Moss on the hands twice in the endzone.

That's because in a timing offense Cassel is supposed to anticipate and throw to the spot often just as the receiver is coming out of his break. As Matt released that ball the turf gremlins grabbed Welker by the ankles and he about face planted himself. Otherwise he'd have been where that ball went before the defender with an in stride catch and juke he's potentially off to the races.

We left some serious points on that field today, but the good news was it wasn't because we didn't have a capable QB. It was because our veteran receivers weren't consistently focused - and that can be remedied because they're pros. They have to elevate their game consistently as core leaders plain and simple. Matt's making appreciable strides now and we can't afford not to take advantage of that. He has to be able to trust his receivers to make plays - easy and difficult ones - for him in order to continue to build on this thing.

Thanks for explaining that. You saved me some typing time. ;)

Missed the game since I'm in Florida on vacation and it wasn't shown here. :mad: But I'll be home in the middle of the week and watch it on my DVR. :) Glad to hear that people are encouraged and that the consensus is the interceptions weren't his fault.

I think despite the picks that this was Cassel's best game. He was more mobile in the pocket, made better decisions and threw some lasers into tight spots.

B, just for the sake of checking oneself mentally.

Think guys think. What would you give The Once And Future Tom, for today's game? I would say I would be defending this B against people insisting on a C or lower. Why does that matter? Well the grade's not a Cassel grade, it's a grade... so you have to expect that unless he really creates monster momentum, puts the team on his back, and makes victories happen (against great opponents, to be a stickler,) well, that's not an A. Brady would get a dozen or more A's in a season, just because he's that good. I would expect Cassel to hit "A" once or twice in a season... I don't think this is one, or close enough to one to merit an "A minus."

Caveat: this isn't to do a comparison that it makes no sense to do. It's just to be consistent about this grading concept. Let's save the "A" and "A minus" for something a little closer to excellence.

There was one play that gave me the chills. Can't recall the exact specifics but he stepped up in the pocket and threw a strike for a first down, much like number 12 would have. If you were in a cave for a few months and just came back to see that play you would have thought it was Tom. Overall I'd give him a B+, maybe A-. In my mind it was his best game. As others have noted his two picks weren't really his fault, Moss could have caught that ball in the endzone. His worst throw was the one where Fakhir Brown should have picked it. This kid looks better and better by the week, and I'm really starting to get excited, considering the state of the NFL this yr (wide open).

the O-line did an excellent job today. I also though Cassel stepped up in the pocket well and I was anticipating a sack on one occassion.

Cassel is improving. It's tough to tell until maybe next week or the buffalo game where he is. but moss had some nice numbers and cassell could have had better production except for a moss drop or two(good plays by def on occassion), a welker drop, faulk drop.

the important part is cont'd improvement

I've doubted him for a long time, but I am starting to believe. Yet I do keep it all in perspective. He has done this against horrible defenses:

KC, St. Louis, SF, Denver are all defensive bottom feeders.

SD the one true defensive test, was a failure.

I am believing, but I still need to see him do it against a real defense and that would start this Sunday against the Colts.

But overall Matt?, good job, keep it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to say B+ overall today......He did have 2 INT's today......one was welk falling down....not his fault.........and he had limited run support.........but I think he played very well overall today........GO PATS!

I've doubted him for a long time, but I am starting to believe. Yet I do keep it all in perspective. He has done this against horrible defenses:

KC, St. Louis, SF, Denver are all defensive bottom feeders.

SD the one true defensive test, was a failure.

I am believing, but I still need to see him do it against a real defense and that would start this Sunday against the Colts.

But overall Matt?, good job, keep it up.

SD defense is among the worst in the league in every major category and Indy isn't great either.

Why isn't O'Connell in there yet? BB and Pioli are just irresponsible.

Seriously though, Cassel looked poised and in control today. When it wasn't there he took off and he's 10x the runner Brady is. I guess the best thing for me was his escapability under pressure and his toughness on those runs. He's a load and runs guys over. He could have had another 1st down in the first half with a good stiff-arm like he did in the 2nd half.

He is seriously a tough kid. Gotta love it.

He ain't Steve Grogan yet, but he's getting there.

SD defense is among the worst in the league in every major category and Indy isn't great either.

Both are much better defenses at home than on the road and this is where we have and will play these teams. Matt has to prove it at Lucas Oil with a real pass rush and noise, similar to SD where he failed. If he passes the test and plays well, I'm sold. I still have to see it first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back