PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rate Cassel today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarge hit on it...Cassel DID look rather poised today, in the face of a ton of adversity. One thing...let's scrap the rollout to the short side of the field play, PUHLEEZE

B+ is a fair grade. He made some ill advised throws but overall he looked more comfortable in the pocket today and led the team down the field. If his receivers didn't drop so many balls his grade would be up to an A-.

Grade him, not them. That was a solid A performance that would have been off the scale had his WR's not developed the intermittent yips...He lost at least 1 if not 2 clear TD's and maybe more if not for the receiver miscues.

I guess all that matters is that for Cassel this was an A+ performance.

He gets an A- from me. Best performance on the year.

From what I've heard, I'll give him an A. Maybe A- :)

I'm going to give a split grade:

Throwing--B. He had some great throws, and a few terrible ones.
Poise--A-. There were a good number of times where, if I couldn't see the number, I'd have been sure it was Brady standing in the pocket.

Oh, BTW--Matt Cassel is still the only QB ever to win his first start when playing against Lord Favre. :rocker:

Last edited:
Best game of the year. His highest amount of yards and unfortunate as it is that he will get the 2 ints to his stats, both were very unlucky breaks. These last two game have really shown what Cassel is capable of.

This was by far his best performance of the year.

1)Poise:
He looked much more poised in the pocket. He stood up against the oncoming pass rush and delivered the football. This is something he's been struggling with and one of the reason's he's been sacked so much. He was sacked a couple of times today but those weren't his fault.

2)Accuracy:
Matt was on the money all game long. His passes were crisp and where they needed to be. If his receivers didn't have such a bad day, we'd be talking about Matt's first 300 yard day and back-to-back 3 TD performances. As it is, his numbers don't tell an accurate story of how good he actually was today.

3)Decision Making:
I thought he did a nice job of mixing it up with some medium-long throws. Unfortunately the receivers didn't bring their A-game.

Final Grade:
A -

This was the first time that I began to expect good things from this offense. That's a good thing. What I mean is that I'm beginning to develop the expectations that having a good quarterback at the helm provides. Cassel seemed to find his hythm today and looked very comfortable out there. He looked like he belonged. He looked good when he scrambled and he looked good when he threw. I think the kid is going to prove Belichick right, once again. The Pats are in good hands and are capable of beating any team on their schedule with Matt Cassel as quarterback.

I know he's had a lot of ints and sacks in his young career, but I feel a lot more confident when he is in the shotgun than I did when Bledsoe stepped back to pass and the Pats were behind.

Probably revisionist history, but it feels true today.

Have to say B+

Did some good things
.. too many stalled drives and 2 Ints can't get him much higher.
Threw in the + because of the Faulk TD and Moss's dropped TD
and PATs without starting RB.

A-. He has made significant progress and looked like a legit NFL quarterback out there today.

This was by far his best performance of the year.

1)Poise:
He looked much more poised in the pocket. He stood up against the oncoming pass rush and delivered the football. This is something he's been struggling with and one of the reason's he's been sacked so much. He was sacked a couple of times today but those weren't his fault.

2)Accuracy:
Matt was on the money all game long. His passes were crisp and where they needed to be. If his receivers didn't have such a bad day, we'd be talking about Matt's first 300 yard day and back-to-back 3 TD performances. As it is, his numbers don't tell an accurate story of how good he actually was today.

3)Decision Making:
I thought he did a nice job of mixing it up with some medium-long throws. Unfortunately the receivers didn't bring their A-game.

Final Grade:
A -

This was the first time that I began to expect good things from this offense. That's a good thing. What I mean is that I'm beginning to develop the expectations that having a good quarterback at the helm provides. Cassel seemed to find his hythm today and looked very comfortable out there. He looked like he belonged. He looked good when he scrambled and he looked good when he threw. I think the kid is going to prove Belichick right, once again. The Pats are in good hands and are capable of beating any team on their schedule with Matt Cassel as quarterback.

Well said and I'll go with the A- also. One other thing that caught my attention today is that he seems to be doing a better job of sensing pressure behind him and stepping up in the pocket.

Overall things are progressing very well.

Today on several throws he showed terrific touch, dropping it in over a defender. He also made quicker decisions to run, and his stats would have been much better if not for 3 or 4 drops.

Last week he went down, but this week he went way up. I feel much better about our ability to win with Cassell.

I guess I saw a different game. He is almost always either a little late or a little behind his receivers. If he hit some of his receivers in stride they would be TDs. I saw only half dozen very good throws.

He did play well at the end of the game. However, for most of the game his receivers were open and there was no rush. Yet he couldn’t get it done. This game should have been a rout like Denver. I give him a C.

Cassel made enough plays to win, he did step up in the pocket which was great to see and he found his 3rd and 4th options much better this week.

The 1st INT was not entirely his fault but the 2nd one was HORRIBLE and lets not forget a 3rd INT was dropped by the Rams defender, also a terrible throw.

He is going to make mistakes but he seems to be improving week to week, that is all we can ask.

Also, Moss dropped an easy TD pass, Cassel should of had a TD pass there, come on Randy, you have to catch that.

By far his best game of the season - and I'm as big a Matt basher as there is here. He actually looked good today. Poised. In control. A legit NFL starter. Keep it up!!!!!

I guess I saw a different game. He is almost always either a little late or a little behind his receivers. If he hit some of his receivers in stride they would be TDs. I saw only half dozen very good throws.

He did play well at the end of the game. However, for most of the game his receivers were open and there was no rush. Yet he couldn’t get it done. This game should have been a rout like Denver. I give him a C.

I think you did. :D

Cassel made enough plays to win, he did step up in the pocket which was great to see and he found his 3rd and 4th options much better this week.

The 1st INT was not entirely his fault but the 2nd one was HORRIBLE and lets not forget a 3rd INT was dropped by the Rams defender, also a terrible throw.

Welker tripped on the second INT. He might not have made the throw, but if Welker's upright, that ball doesn't get picked off.

You're right about the dropped INT by the Rams but the second INT was less his fault than the first (which I don't put on him either). It was a perfect strike to Welker who fell down after the ball was released. Welker's man had good coverage and without Welker there the ball went right to him.

If Welker hadn't fallen it would have been a big pickup.

He is going to make mistakes but he seems to be improving week to week, that is all we can ask.

Also, Moss dropped an easy TD pass, Cassel should of had a TD pass there, come on Randy, you have to catch that.

The Moss drop and the Faulk TD were examples of Cassell showing improved touch. He moved the offense today, and generally looked more polished. He also made positive plays with his feet.

Anyone who didn't like MC's performance today will probably be disappointed all year long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back