Welcome to PatsFans.com

Rasmussen poll: 84% want English to be the official language

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by State, Jun 24, 2009.

1. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Rasmussen Reports: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere

Are you kidding me? McCain really blew it on this issue. I'm tired of having to press a button for English. This is a recipe for the country to fragment, like Canada almost did last decade. Gentle Canada, for goodness' sakes!

I remember Obama dismissing this in one of the early Democratic debates, saying this legislation would be divisive. That's when I first realized he was not a serious thinker.

English as the Official Language - Jonah Goldberg - The Corner on National Review Online

HT: VDARE.com: Blog Articles What’s “White Nationalist” about Official English anyway?
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Hola,

ese porcentaje suena un pequeño bajo

-Buzo santo
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Not just fragmentation but poverty. It is almost cruel to not force non English speakers to not learn the common language. While a small few may be successful the vast majority of non English speakers will never attain any kind of job that pays above minimum wage. I know I wouldn't if I moved to Japan, or wherever, and didn't learn the language. It makes no sense other than the liberals love to keep the impoverished down so their hearts will have someone to bleed on; even though they are the cause of it's continuation.
  4. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree 100% if you want to live here and work here you need to learn English or gtfo.

If I go to mexico do they speak English for me or do I have to know Spanish? ding ding ding
    you have to speak Spanish!
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I thought they spoke "mexican"....

Hmmmmm?
  6. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

no hablo englis
  7. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

I had an old girlfriend who wanted to move to Amsterdam. I pointed out we didn't know any dutch. She said "they speak English better than we do." We looked at each other for a second then said at the same time, "We could learn..."
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

I think this is one issue that conservatives and liberals agree upon. We do NOT have a second language in the USA and you have only one choice of languages if you want to get by. And that my friends is the way it SHOULD be. :mad:
  9. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Press One for English....:confused: :mad:
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

EXACTLY!!!!

There should be a law passed that prevents any choices in language. Maybe it should say "press one for english or two for WTF are you doing here?" :D
  11. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

It is'nt, trust me it is up here? The only time anybody around here speaks spanish is cinqo de mayo, "corona por favor".
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Okay now ... we have kids graduating high school who can't read
    and we want English as the official language ... well okay then.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  13. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

Welp, here's an idea for you:

In Washington and its suburbs, there are classes for English as a Second Language. They are stuffed to the gills, and there are waiting lists.

Now, using my impressive powers of deduction, I have come to the conclusion that it is not native English-speakers who pile into classes on English as a Second Languge, but immigrants or the children thereof.

Now, since there are waiting lists, maybe we could teach more of these individuals the English language, if we made more such classes available.

By the way, I understand the same pertains in NY, and I would wager in LA, and Houston, and Boston for that matter.

But noooooooo, let's not think about it pragmatically. Let's get our dander all up about that bad bad guy who doesn't even want to speak English (he's the real problem.)

I'll pay attention to this sort of thing when those who beat that drum the loudest pay attention to pragmatic -- rather than combative or scapegoating-- solutions.

PFnV
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

So I'm assuming that you think these people should have to PAY for these classes? I certainly don't want more of our tax dollars spent on it. I'm sure if they had to pay there would be plenty of classes available.

Let's not blame ourselves for what these nitwits can't say...:D
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You Spanish language haters do realize that the press 1 for... trend is about computer capacity going up and capitalists wanting to get money from everyone regardless of what language they speak right?

Both Home Depot and Lowes insist that every box of nails they sell have the word 'Clavos' somewhere on it not because they're a bunch of cheese eating surrender monkeys, but because Spanish money is just as green as any other money.

Why would you want to interfere with an honest business makin' a buck in these trying times? Seems kinda Fascist if you ask me.
  16. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I don't HATE Spanish, in fact i like listening to it, especially the Mexican variety. It just irks me that until recently the VAST majority of people spoke English due to the fact that it was the British that founded the country. When my family immigrated here they had to learn English. Your explination about computer sales doesn't work. What would it matter if when someone picked up a phone,or used an ATM machine and it said "press one for Spanish". (I have no problen with a box of nails or any other item having English, Spanish, German, French, Russian Greek etc. on the box.) If you can explain that i'll say OK that makes sense. Because pressing one for English in a predominetly English speaking country doesn't
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  17. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

Okay, PR, so to wrap it up:

You want it to be a different time. Your project, if you have one (other than feeling good about yourself because you've managed a passing command of the language of your birthplace), will be to design the political/economic equivalent of a time machine. Here's a hint: there'll be a lot more moving parts than a few electric eyes and some chain link.

Let me know how that goes. I'll be over here in the present.

PFnV
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

Sorry PFiVA, I don't quite get your reply. What does your answer have to do with not spending millions providing MORE tax funded social services (as if we don't have enough already)?

Donde estas? Where will you be?;)
  19. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

FYI...you use the word capitalists as if it's a bad term when in fact it's a good term. You're a capitalist yourself. Most people would just say

"and businesses wanting to get money..."

I'd hazard a guess that most of us don't have a problem with WHY businesses have a language option. On the other hand, we DO have a problem with so many people in this country unable to speak our language. I'd bet the French or Spaniards would have an issue if they had millions of immigrants who couldn't speak their language. ESPECIALLY when they are given jobs and are unable to communicate.
  20. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

I don't understand why it's not our official language. Maybe someone could enlighten us.