PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ras-I Dowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Dowling's apeal to BB is his ability to excel in zone coverage. He seems adept at knowing where everybody is and what his responsibilities are. Combine that with his ability to change direction like a smaller DB and I can see why BB likes the kid.

I myself need two questions answered:

1.) Can he stay healthy?
2.) How much courage does he have?

Health is anyone's guess, but I am sure the Patriots talked to Al Groh about his character, work ethic and what type of football player he is.

The most think a lot of him to take him where they did, that doesn't mean he will be good, it just means they think he will be pretty good.

I think in year one he will be the 3rd/4th CB or the 3rd S in pass defenses. Depending how we works out he could become a FS or 2nd / 3rd CB after that.

The secondary has a lot of flexibility and pretty good depth
CB - McCourty, Bodden, Arrington, Dowling, Wilhite, Butler
S - Merriweather, Chung, Sanders, Brown, Page

Lots of competition, just the way BB likes it.

I think Dowling's apeal to BB is his ability to excel in zone coverage. He seems adept at knowing where everybody is and what his responsibilities are. Combine that with his ability to change direction like a smaller DB and I can see why BB likes the kid.

I myself need two questions answered:

1.) Can he stay healthy?
2.) How much courage does he have?
Yeah, I also read that he's supposed to be great in zone. In man, he might better left on a receiving tight end who still wouldn't have his agility.

As I understand it, he was healthy until his senior year.

He's also supposed to be a good press corner and tackler, so I would assume he has a physical mentality. That definitely looks like what BB is going for in the secondary with guys like McCourty, Bodden, Meriweather (who at least hits hard), chung, etc.

Somehow I can't get worked about BB's draft failures when, in three years he's transformed NE from an over-the-hill group struggling to hold on to its lead in the AFCE into 14-2 with one of the youngest squads in the league... :cool:

...which has also lost 3 Straight PO games, incl. the Last 2 At Home,
a not-insignificant reason being those very same draft failures;
e.g.: where the feck is the feckin pass-rush going to come from?

As for the thread topic: Bill should've waited until 56 to take the injury-risky Dowling
(or OLB Justin Houston, or CB Brandon Harris, or RB Mikel Leshore, or WR Torrey Smith);
he should've drafted Cam Jordan at 17, Solder or Derek Sherrod at 28,
then traded 33 to NO for 56 & the 2012 1st-rounder. Ingram would still have been available then.

Last edited:
As for the thread topic: Bill should've waited until 56 to take the injury-risky Dowling
(or OLB Justin Houston, or CB Brandon Harris, or RB Mikel Leshore, or WR Torrey Smith);
then traded 33 to NO for 56 & the 2012 1st-rounder. Ingram would still have been available then.

Wow, so much fail that I don't know where to start. But I really want to make you look foolish, so I'll start at the beginning of the draft.

Anybody with a good amount of knowledge on the defensive scheme could have told you that Cam Jordan didn't fit. Heck, he wasn't even the best 1-gapping 3-4 DE taken after the Pats passed on him. That would be Liuget to SD at 18. He fell all the way to 24 to a 4-3 team. You know what that means? It means the 3-4 teams didn't like him. You know why? Because he's not a good fit. The fact that he was labeled as a "3-4 DE" by tons of draft analysts and that he fell past pick 17 is not a good reason to decide automatically that he should have been the pick. And look, Belichick completely explained this pick before making it:
I try to take the player that you feel like is the best player. It's great to say, 'OK, we have a need at this position, so now we have a card to put up there in that spot.' But if that player isn't able to really fulfill that area or that position, then you're coming back here the next year looking for the same thing again.
Picking Cam Jordan solves nothing. Picking Nate Solder is picking a good player who will get on the field. Had they picked Cam Jordan like you wanted, then he wouldn't have solved anything and they'd still need a DE and even worse, have just traded Richard Seymour for a bust as his position.

Solder would have been long gone by 28. There were rumors that the Giants wanted him, and more rumors that the Colts wanted him over Castonzo. No chance he would have been there. And you really want Derek "James Carpenter was picked before me" Sherrod? Nate Solder was hand-picked by the best OL coach in the NFL. He apparently loved what he saw. Solder literally has the most natural ability of any OT to come out in a few years. And yet you'd rather downgrade on Brady's blindside because you want a new DE, even though he probably wouldn't make it onto the field because he's undersized and plays like he's even smaller?

You can't just say that the Saints would make the same trade for a pick 5 picks lower. You can tell by when the Pats got on the phone to confirm that trade that they had planned it pretty far in advance. Maybe the Saints thought the Packers were a threat to take Ingram. Maybe they wanted to make sure they got that 5 year contract instead of 4 with Ingram's knee concerns. Either way, you can't just assume they are doing the same trade for a clearly inferior pick. You know what they say about assuming. It hasn't done it to me, really, but it has definitely done it to U!

As for Dowling, let me quote She's Out of My League:
"I'm sorry, are you a (plane) doctor? No, so shut the **** up."

Do you know the medicals on him? Have you done tests on his body? Unless captain stone is actually doctor stone, then I'm going to assume no. Surprise! The Patriots know that he missed games too. And you know what, I bet they looked into all of his injury questions and made sure he checked out physically. Apparently he did. And to quote what Belichick had to say about Mallett, which also applies to every other pick, including Dowling: "Obviously we’re comfortable with him. We took him." You know, I bet the Patriots would have only taken him if they were comfortable about his injury history. Is that a guarantee that he'll never miss a game again? Of course not. But they apparently saw nothing that foreshadowed a shortened career or habitually ending the season on IR.

So first you go assume the role of a doctor, and THEN you say to wait until 56 to draft him or one of a number of other guys? Well, time to destroy this list...

1. Ras-I Dowling: Would not have been there. He didn't tear his ACL, he broke an ankle. There are enough (real) doctors that work for NFL teams that would have cleared Dowling to be picked in the early to mid 2nd. Heck, the Bills took a comparable player with the exact next pick. If the Pats pass on him at 33, there's a better chance that he's gone at 34 than there is that he's available at 56.

2. Justin Houston: Ah, the polarizing OLB candidate. I never liked him because he's not that good against the run and already a legit 270, so he can't just add weight to fix that. Then came the combine drills and the "wow, this guy sucks in space" comments that were completely warranted. And then the weed. The biggest thing for me came from the tape, though. He just doesn't care. He's not a competitor. He doesn't care if he doesn't give his best. If he's like that on the field, what's he going to be like off it? Yuck!

3. Brandon Harris: Ah yes, the old "I want a different player at an earlier pick, so I'll given them an inferior player at that position later." Do the Patriots really need more 5-9 corners? For as much as you hated the pick, they got a guy who is over 6-1 AND played in a very similar defensive scheme under Al Groh. I didn't dislike Harris, but he's a guy I wouldn't want starting for me.

4. Mikel LeShoure: Maroney. Enough said. The Patriots picked the right back. His name is Shane Vereen.

5. Torrey Smith: Perfect. Rather than giving Tate and Price the time they need to grow, let's replace them with a guy who will need just as much time to learn the offense and get used to the NFL game. There are a few threads on here that will tell you why it's too early to get rid of Tate.

...which has also lost 3 Straight PO games, incl. the Last 2 At Home,
a not-insignificant reason being those very same draft failures;
e.g.: where the feck is the feckin pass-rush going to come from?

Yeah. I'm sure BB's "failure" to draft a pass-rusher was responsible for our loss to the Ravens in 2009. Wait. How many times did Flacco throw the ball in that game?

And, was it the lack of a pass-rush against the Giants or a lack of easily-justified holding calls against their OL?

Yeah. I'm sure BB's "failure" to draft a pass-rusher was responsible for our loss to the Ravens in 2009. Wait. How many times did Flacco throw the ball in that game?

And, was it the lack of a pass-rush against the Giants or a lack of easily-justified holding calls against their OL?

I know it is crying over spilled milk but on the "play" there were three holding calls and two facemasks on Pats players. In fact the S.I. center photo spread you could see three of them as the ref watched. Just saying if the shoe was on the other foot the Pats haters would be asterisking that win for sure. I agree with you.
DW Toys

I hope dowling can stay healthy, is all I'm worried about. Amukamara has short arms, small hands and a stocky build...not working for me. Blackmon abused him pretty badly in a game when he was one on one.

I watched Nebraska against both OU and OSU. Both teams torched Prince whenever they wanted too. I found it hard to believe he was so highly regarded.

I know it is crying over spilled milk but on the "play" there were three holding calls and two facemasks on Pats players. In fact the S.I. center photo spread you could see three of them as the ref watched. Just saying if the shoe was on the other foot the Pats haters would be asterisking that win for sure. I agree with you.
DW Toys

You mean like the "Tuck Rule Game"? :D

Yeah, in that SB, a handful of things went the Giants way - "The Catch", Brady's foot, Neal getting hurt, Samuel being careless with a pick. If any one of those things breaks the Pats way, we probably win.

That '09 team was infected with the cancers of AFailus, Moss, Springs, LaMa, McGowan,
Stomper, et. al.
The lack of a pass-rush did contribute, however, to not earning a bye week,
along with the stagnant, predictable 4th-quarter offense.

As for the SB That Must Not Be Named, it was indeed the lack of a pass rush that started
the game with a 10-minute drive, incl. 4 3rd-down conversions. I knew right then that
we were in big, big trouble.

Wow, so much fail that I don't know where to start. But I really want to make you look foolish, so I'll start at the beginning of the draft.

Anybody with a good amount of knowledge on the defensive scheme could have told you that Cam Jordan didn't fit. Heck, he wasn't even the best 1-gapping 3-4 DE taken after the Pats passed on him. That would be Liuget to SD at 18. He fell all the way to 24 to a 4-3 team. You know what that means? It means the 3-4 teams didn't like him. You know why? Because he's not a good fit. The fact that he was labeled as a "3-4 DE" by tons of draft analysts and that he fell past pick 17 is not a good reason to decide automatically that he should have been the pick. And look, Belichick completely explained this pick before making it:

>> SD blew it, again. Liuget is strictly a 4-3 DT.

Picking Cam Jordan solves nothing. Picking Nate Solder is picking a good player who will get on the field. Had they picked Cam Jordan like you wanted, then he wouldn't have solved anything and they'd still need a DE and even worse, have just traded Richard Seymour for a bust as his position.

>> Solves nothing? He would solve the pash-rush problem from the DE position. Now who's foolish?

Solder would have been long gone by 28. There were rumors that the Giants wanted him, and more rumors that the Colts wanted him over Castonzo. No chance he would have been there. And you really want Derek "James Carpenter was picked before me" Sherrod? Nate Solder was hand-picked by the best OL coach in the NFL. He apparently loved what he saw. Solder literally has the most natural ability of any OT to come out in a few years. And yet you'd rather downgrade on Brady's blindside because you want a new DE, even though he probably wouldn't make it onto the field because he's undersized and plays like he's even smaller?

>> Just because Seattle screwed-up the pick doesn't mean that Carpenter > Sherrod.
And Dante being The Best OL Coach in the NFL is opinion, not fact.

You can't just say that the Saints would make the same trade for a pick 5 picks lower.

>> Why not?

You can tell by when the Pats got on the phone to confirm that trade that they had planned it pretty far in advance. Maybe the Saints thought the Packers were a threat to take Ingram.

>> The Packers aren't stupid.

Maybe they wanted to make sure they got that 5 year contract instead of 4 with Ingram's knee concerns.

>> You would think, then, that NO would rather have a 4-year obligation instead.

As for Dowling, let me quote She's Out of My League:
"I'm sorry, are you a (plane) doctor? No, so shut the **** up."

>> The fact that you are quoting from She's Out of My League tells me all I need to know.

Do you know the medicals on him? Have you done tests on his body? Unless captain stone is actually doctor stone, then I'm going to assume no. Surprise! The Patriots know that he missed games too. And you know what, I bet they looked into all of his injury questions and made sure he checked out physically. Apparently he did. And to quote what Belichick had to say about Mallett, which also applies to every other pick, including Dowling: "Obviously we’re comfortable with him. We took him."

>> Well, then; if Bill says so, it must be just the absolute very best pick ever!
After all, I'm sure he was comfortable with Tyrone Wheatley, too.

So first you go assume the role of a doctor, and THEN you say to wait until 56 to draft him or one of a number of other guys? Well, time to destroy this list...

1. Ras-I Dowling: Would not have been there. He didn't tear his ACL, he broke an ankle. There are enough (real) doctors that work for NFL teams that would have cleared Dowling to be picked in the early to mid 2nd. Heck, the Bills took a comparable player with the exact next pick. If the Pats pass on him at 33, there's a better chance that he's gone at 34 than there is that he's available at 56.

>> There is no way whatsoever that Buffalo takes Dowling ahead of Aaron Williams.

2. Justin Houston: Ah, the polarizing OLB candidate. I never liked him because he's not that good against the run and already a legit 270, so he can't just add weight to fix that. Then came the combine drills and the "wow, this guy sucks in space" comments that were completely warranted. And then the weed. The biggest thing for me came from the tape, though. He just doesn't care. He's not a competitor. He doesn't care if he doesn't give his best. If he's like that on the field, what's he going to be like off it? Yuck!

>> If Bill had done the job in years past (Jacob Ford, Cliff Avril, Connor Barwin) then he could've afforded to bypass Houston. But he didn't, so now he has to start taking some risks. I wouldn't have chosen him in the 1st round, but at 56, the risk isn't nearly as great.

3. Brandon Harris: Ah yes, the old "I want a different player at an earlier pick, so I'll given them an inferior player at that position later." Do the Patriots really need more 5-9 corners? For as much as you hated the pick, they got a guy who is over 6-1 AND played in a very similar defensive scheme under Al Groh. I didn't dislike Harris, but he's a guy I wouldn't want starting for me.

>> Being 5-9 didn't stop Bill from drafting Wheatley, Wilhite, Hobbs, Samuel, and Butler isn't that much bigger.

4. Mikel LeShoure: Maroney. Enough said. The Patriots picked the right back. His name is Shane Vereen.

>> Why would you think that Leshore is LaMa Part Deux?
Besides, Vereen would most likely have been avail. at 73,
and Ridley was taken AT LEAST 2 full rounds too early. Horrible, horrible pick there

5. Torrey Smith: Perfect. Rather than giving Tate and Price the time they need to grow, let's replace them with a guy who will need just as much time to learn the offense and get used to the NFL game. There are a few threads on here that will tell you why it's too early to get rid of Tate.

Haven't there also been threads wishing for a WR to stretch the defense?

Last edited:
captain stone said:
Solves nothing? He would solve the pash-rush problem from the DE position. Now who's foolish?
You don't understand the DE position. It's not a pass rush position. It's a run-stuffing position, and you take whatever pass rush you get that comes along with that. Jordan is not a run-stuffer at DE and hence would not get onto the field. He'd be able to play in Jarvis Green's subpackage role. That's it.

Just because Seattle screwed-up the pick doesn't mean that Carpenter > Sherrod.
And Dante being The Best OL Coach in the NFL is opinion, not fact.
I agree with both. But it does mean that Carpenter has a higher ceiling than Sherrod, which is why the Seahawks took him. Neither has a ceiling close to Solder's though. Solder literally has the ability to be the best left tackle in the game. There is not another offensive lineman in the league with his combo of size and athleticism. That's why he was the pick at 17 as opposed to a DE. He'll never get close more than likely, but Solder literally has Jonathan Ogden potential. With Sherrod, you're probably getting more of a Matt Light career, which is far from bad.

Whether Scarnecchia is the best or not is beside the point. He's a well-respected coach who knows what he wants in players. He apparently loved Solder.

You would think, then, that NO would rather have a 4-year obligation instead.
If he's a one-contract guy, they'll want him for that extra year.

Well, then; if Bill says so, it must be just the absolute very best pick ever!
After all, I'm sure he was comfortable with Tyrone Wheatley, too.
Hard to evaluate Terrence Wheatley. He couldn't even get on the field when he was healthy, so all his injury problems really did was prevent him from having a long term backup role. We also don't know how his healthy changed after entering the NFL. For all we know, the injury his rookie year led to a long-term problem.

If Bill had done the job in years past (Jacob Ford, Cliff Avril, Connor Barwin) then he could've afforded to bypass Houston. But he didn't, so now he has to start taking some risks.
He didn't pick them because they were too big of risks. Now he has to take risks to make up for not taking risks? Huh?

I wouldn't have chosen him in the 1st round, but at 56, the risk isn't nearly as great.
And neither is the reward: a situational pass rusher with a cold motor.

Did anybody watch Brandon Harris get dominated in the Sun Bowl? He and Allen Bailey should've been the leaders of that team and kept it together against ND, instead they gave up and let their team get embarrassed without putting their best on the table. I'm glad the Pats didn't draft either player.

You don't understand the DE position. It's not a pass rush position. It's a run-stuffing position, and you take whatever pass rush you get that comes along with that. Jordan is not a run-stuffer at DE and hence would not get onto the field. He'd be able to play in Jarvis Green's subpackage role. That's it.

I agree with both. But it does mean that Carpenter has a higher ceiling than Sherrod, which is why the Seahawks took him. Neither has a ceiling close to Solder's though. Solder literally has the ability to be the best left tackle in the game. There is not another offensive lineman in the league with his combo of size and athleticism. That's why he was the pick at 17 as opposed to a DE. He'll never get close more than likely, but Solder literally has Jonathan Ogden potential. With Sherrod, you're probably getting more of a Matt Light career, which is far from bad.

Whether Scarnecchia is the best or not is beside the point. He's a well-respected coach who knows what he wants in players. He apparently loved Solder.

If he's a one-contract guy, they'll want him for that extra year.

Hard to evaluate Terrence Wheatley. He couldn't even get on the field when he was healthy, so all his injury problems really did was prevent him from having a long term backup role. We also don't know how his healthy changed after entering the NFL. For all we know, the injury his rookie year led to a long-term problem.

He didn't pick them because they were too big of risks. Now he has to take risks to make up for not taking risks? Huh?

And neither is the reward: a situational pass rusher with a cold motor.

I enjoy your Hater posts, because they're still more intelligent, insightfull, and digestible than 90% of what crosses the wires...

But I enjoy posts like this ~ when you seem to've already blown the carbon out, so to speak ~ and just sit down and analyze...considerably more. :cool:

I don't get it. If you're gonna take Ras-I with the 33rd pick, why not just take the Prince @ 17 instead of Solder. Then take Gabe Carimi at 28 instead of trading out. Then you'd have Amukamara/Carimi instead of Dowling/Solder. Might not have Saints 2012 1st rd pick, but for all intents and purposes that pick is really a 2nd rd pick as it will be 26 or later.

If Chase Daniels has to start for more than 6 games it becomes a top 20 maybe top 15 pick. You never know, and its always better to have the firepower if you want to do something crazy like trade up top the top 5 from the 20's without losing your entire draft. (See: Atlanta Falcons)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back