PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ras-I Dowling placed on Injured Reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Secondary is beginning to look like the Rams secondary last year.

I'm not sure how the Rams secondary is this year, but the good news they have found 2 good corners and started to turn things around this year...

I really wish we drafted Janoris Jenkins. :(

Re: Ras-IR-Dowling officially on IR

There's still hope for McCourty. As bad as he's been this year (and he's often been terrible), he's been better than he was last year.

I guess that's a good thing...LOL. :bricks:

I wonder who is a FA @ CB/Safety for next year? I'm usually against spending big in FA but if the Pats can't build through the draft they have to find other ways...

Re: Ras-I(R) Dowling placed on Injured Reserve

Can we at least put the "he is not injury prone" argument to bed now! Shawn Crable thinks this guy is injury prone. What an absolute waste of a pick!

BTW, I fixed the title for you

I guess that's a good thing...LOL. :bricks:

I wonder who is a FA @ CB/Safety for next year? I'm usually against spending big in FA but if the Pats can't build through the draft they have to find other ways...

This is supposed to be an excellent draft for safeties. It won't surprise me to see a safety drafted in round one. That would give the team the rookie and Wilson, plus Gregory, for their rotation next year, and they could save money by letting Chung walk.

As for CB, I think that's where the FA comes in. I wonder if BB will take a gamble on Grimes, since he seems to have become enamored with the walking wounded.

Just think.... this team could have have Asante back for a song.

Last edited:
Hope I'm wrong but, I'll be surprised if Dowling makes the team next year. Probably gets waived picked up by the jaguars and then eventually gets cut and retires.

I'd say McCourty is more inconsistent still than he is terrible. Sometimes he'll make a very good play. Sometimes I look at him and wonder what the hell he was thinking. But I agree that he hasn't been nearly as bad as some have made him out to be.

I agree. Against Seattle, he shutdown his assignment all game, but gave up a big play (where he did have decent coverage). He was awesome for part of the Ravens' game and pathetic towards the end. It is more of a consistency issue with him. He shows flashes of his rookie season and flashes of his second year.

How the hell can a guy be so soft? It's mindblowing.

Does anybody actually see this guy developing and staying on the field for 16 weeks?

Chalk up another bust.

Are you joking, or are you clueless? The team decided to shut him down after hip and thigh injuries. Unless you think you could go suit up and play in the NFL with these types of injuries, you really have no business calling anyone soft. Get over yourself.

Same here. Wanted him before the draft. At this point i couldn't give a **** about character.

Last 2 picks - McCourty - can't play man - check.

Dowling - injuries - check.

I have no problem with the pick, like the Gronk pick you take an injured player at point much later than they would have gone, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Dowling, unlike Gronkowski, was not taken "much later" than he would have gone.

Are you joking, or are you clueless? The team decided to shut him down after hip and thigh injuries. Unless you think you could go suit up and play in the NFL with these types of injuries, you really have no business calling anyone soft. Get over yourself.

What's more acceptable for a guy who plays limited snaps and ends up on IR for the 2nd year in a row? Ras- IR as is the general consensus around here?

This is supposed to be an excellent draft for safeties. It won't surprise me to see a safety drafted in round one. That would give the team the rookie and Wilson, plus Gregory, for their rotation next year, and they could save money by letting Chung walk.

As for CB, I think that's where the FA comes in. I wonder if BB will take a gamble on Grimes, since he seems to have become enamored with the walking wounded.

Just think.... this team could have have Asante back for a song.

Feel like safeties are a dime a dozen these days...rarely are there high profile prospects. Barron/Berry come to mind as the last two to go top 10.

Wouldn't mind taking a gamble on Grimes. Wish we got Asante back as well. He isn't elite by any means but he makes plays on the ball.

If the Pats drafted Jenkins, they would have had to pass on either Hightower or Jones. I wouldn't have given up Jones for Jenkins. too early to tell with Hightower, but probably not him either. The Pats didn't have the picks to trade up for those two and trade up to get Jenkins.

I agree. Against Seattle, he shutdown his assignment all game, but gave up a big play (where he did have decent coverage). He was awesome for part of the Ravens' game and pathetic towards the end. It is more of a consistency issue with him. He shows flashes of his rookie season and flashes of his second year.

See that's really my issue with him. He's invisible for most of the game (ie: shutting down his receiver = good)...but when the team needs a stop the most he gives up a long completion or a PI. :bricks:

If the Pats drafted Jenkins, they would have had to pass on either Hightower or Jones. I wouldn't have given up Jones for Jenkins. too early to tell with Hightower, but probably not him either. The Pats didn't have the picks to trade up for those two and trade up to get Jenkins.

That's true. I might be willing to part with Hightower for Jenkins though. Hightower has been great so far, but we already have Mayo/Spikes. In the secondary we have...nothing.

Dowling, unlike Gronkowski, was not taken "much later" than he would have gone.

Do we know that? I think Dowling would have gone higher if his last season in college wasn't injured. In his Sophomore and Junior year, he was very solid leading his team in INTs and broken passes each year. Odds were if he had a healthy Senior season, he could have been a mid first round pick.

Gronk would have probably have been a top 5-10 pick if healthy, but Dowling could have been a a top 15-20 pick if he was healthy his Senior year.

When your players cant play, you put them in situations where they cant give up huge plays.

When your Coaches cant coach, your players must get by on talent alone.

When your players cant play and your coaches cant coach, you end up with the worst secondary in the league and three losses you don't deserve.

The Patriots have been a terrible team against the pass for at least four years now, if Belichick was the genius we all thought he was, this would have been fixed by now.

Last edited:

Feel like safeties are a dime a dozen these days...rarely are there high profile prospects. Barron/Berry come to mind as the last two to go top 10.

Good safeties are game plan changers, regardless of where they're taken in the draft. Also, Thomas went at 14. I think Seattle is comfortable with that pick, don't you?

This guy should be on a regular treatment of blood plasma to his hip area ... he needs that and more.

The Patriots had a 2, 3, 6 and two 7s left in the draft. They had enough to move up for Jenkins if they so wished.

That's a crock if I've ever heard one. People lauded his ability to constantly be around the ball and haul in INT's while being a threat returning the ball when he was first drafted. The highlight videos and commentary following them bared that out.

I can remember specifically about Chung being more of an "IN the Box" safety with some pass coverage ability in college. And, in college, he was constantly around the ball. He's constantly around the ball now, also, but not in a good way.

That's why Chung was considered a STRONG Safety and not a Free Safety when he was being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back