Welcome to PatsFans.com

Rappaport.. Roster Overhaul..

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DarrylS, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 26 / -33

Nice article on the apparent BB displeasure with the team after it's loss to Baltimore last year and how he retooled this team.. always telling that someone like Adalius Thomas who was a high priced FA, has not hooked up with another team.. the same for Shawn Springs. Cut your losses, admit your mistakes and find new players who will buy into your system..

Now we have players like Ninkovich, Katula, Woodhead, Fletcher and Branch.. all of whom buy into this meritocracy.. 5 offensive starters and 5 defensive starters have been replaced. Even TBC was given reduced playing time, due to the play of Cunningham.

Roster overhaul key to Patriots success - BostonHerald.com

2. Wilfork#75

Wilfork#75 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +101 / 5 / -1

#75 Jersey

Nice article. The most impressive thing to me about what the Pats have done over the past year, is the way they have built great team chemistry in such a short amount of time. Especially with the amount of young players on the roster, being able to get them to buy into the system and learn how to win has been huge. The future is very bright in New England.

3. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +320 / 1 / -2

#12 Jersey

I agree, the chemistry was surprisingly quick and a critical key to our success.

This has been one of the most enjoyable seasons to watch as a fan. Hopefully we can end it on a high note and make it a very memorable season.

4. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +614 / 9 / -1

#61 Jersey

I saw that article earlier. It's always nice to get a look behind the curtain and see how things get done, what the philosophy really is, etc.

5. WhoaDirty

WhoaDirty Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -1

Nice article. Although the most interesting mention in there isn't really Pats related. Chris Johnson's rushing yards dropped considerably after Crumpler left, and that's not a coincidence.

6. flycessna

flycessna On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kurt Warner made a good point the other day.

BB and the Pats allows players to do what they do best. He doesn't necessarily have a plan and then brings in players to fit that plan..

He is flexible and smart enough to gameplan using his strengths..

You allow a player some level of comfort giving them the opportunity to do what they do best, build the game plan around that, and then hold them accountable to their job..

I thought this was a very good point. When you see Branch, Woodhead, BJGE, and more.... all guys excelling doing what they do best..

No one is asking BJGE to have break away speed and make 50 yard runs or have a 2k yard season.. Be tough, judicious with the ball, and consistant and look what we got.. 1000 yard season, and just tough tough sonistant running when we needed it..

This is becoming one of my favorite Pat's teams!!

7. *ChungFu*

*ChungFu* Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Unless someone else is in the thoughts of the writer it seems that he lists Adalius Thomas as our best defensive player. :eek:

Otherwise a great read.

8. BrainTrust66

BrainTrust66 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I can only imagine Belichick retreating to the Bat Cave after last year's loss to the Ravens to figure out exactly what he needed to do in the offseason to improve this team.

What is most amazing to me is how quickly things jelled. How BB was able to get the kids to buy into the system and how he forced the veteran leaders to step up and take a more vocal role. Didn't BB lash out at Brady and Wilfork at halftime of the Cleveland game to say something like: "you're letting this happen!"

That was the tipping point of the season - after that Brady became more animated and outspoken than before (and he wasn't exactly a wallflower to begin with) and the kids and role players on this team grew up and started down a path that could lead them to Dallas.

I echo many of you when I say that this, my 35th season watching this team, has been amongst the most enjoyable.

9. Willie55

Willie55 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

16 touchdowns catches for the two rookie tight ends, that's unheard of.

10. ATippett56

ATippett56 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +567 / 19 / -26

Four of the ten starters that were replaced have been due to injury:

Offense:

Neal - IR
    Kaczur - IR

Defense:

Bodden - IR
    Warren - IR

11. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +907 / 6 / -9

I think there are a number of reasons for the dropoff, foremost being Fisher's propensity for running his backs right into the ground.

12. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,859 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

and significant clutch contributor Kevin Faulk as well

13. ATippett56

Ratings:
    +567 / 19 / -26

Danny Woodhead has been an exceptional replacement for Kevin Faulk. Kevin Faulk is a better pass blocker than Danny Woodhead, especially with regard to the blitz pick up.

14. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,510 / 20 / -4

#12 Jersey

That's a great way of phrasing the same argument that I was trying to put forth on the Tomlinson/Woodhead thread. Look to just about any credible efficiency stat where a reasonably talented Patriot is in the running, and he'll be pretty close to the top. Belichick always puts his players in position to do what they're best at, and that shows up in both individual and team efficiency.

15. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,510 / 20 / -4

#12 Jersey

I dunno if CJ's been in the league long enough to be worn down yet. Just give him 3 or so more years, though, and he might be out of the league entirely. Overused running backs tend to have a few years of top-flight production, then decline with alarming speed.

16. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +945 / 66 / -54

#50 Jersey

Someone said something similar not that long ago and it was refuted..

Woodhead has been spectacular in blitz pick-up, all things considered.

17. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +645 / 51 / -21

The implication that Banta-Cain has been given decreased playing time as part of the replacement of last year's non-performers is one of the fantasies of posters here, along with poor performance of Merieweather (and James Sanders).

Yes, Banta-Cain had addirional reps early because Cunningham wasn't ready to fully replace the reps of Thomas. Belichick uses all his OLB's well. ALL have played well as OLB's and DE's. If you want to mention a LB, you might have mentioned Moore replacing Woods.

18. ATippett56

Ratings:
    +567 / 19 / -26

Crable then Woods!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.