PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rappaport expects Revis to cover Hernandez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really understand this idea. Outside of a few drives recently, the Jets have been outstanding at covering multiple receiver sets. They are very deep at cornerback (with coleman, lowrey, wilson, and cole all playing).

The ONLY area they have struggled with at times has been seam routes to the tight ends. And often that is due to scheme, not inability to cover. The Jets like to bring pressure up the middle from S position. Of course that leaves them vulnerable in the area they blitzed from.

I think the Jets will do a heck of a job on Brady this week (and by heck of a job, I mean hold Tom to a lower %/YPA than he is used to.

If the Jets do not turn the ball over on offense and play solid specials, I do not see the Pats breaking 24pts

How will they do a "heck" of a job on Brady?

Are you aware of how much we have evolved on offense? We didn't even have half of what we have now when we first played you.

I think you put Revis on Branch. You put Wilson in the slot on Welker and give him help and then put Cromartie on Hernandez or Tate depending on who's in the game. Or you go zone with those basic match-ups.

In regards to the blitz packages I think the Patriots are going to try to dictate some of this by formation. If they put Branch, Welker and Hernandez in a bunch to one side for instance it makes it much harder for the Jets to send DBs and if they do they better tackle or there could be some very big plays.

rex will most likely mix it up, and have revis/cro try to confuse brady with the coverage, and try to make brady hold the ball longer.

jets pass rush sucks, so jets will need every extra .5seconds they can get.

i can see revis in the slot, on branch, covering a TE, **** maybe even blitz brady once, or twice.

How will they do a "heck" of a job on Brady?

Are you aware of how much we have evolved on offense? We didn't even have half of what we have now when we first played you.

Look, I respect the Pats more than anyone.

But saying you didn't have half of what you have now back in week 2? You added Branch and Mankins and subtracted Moss. And the playbook, like all teams, expands as the season goes on, I get it. But the Patriots are very similar to what they were in week 2. They are just better. Better than they were at most, if not all, facets of the game. Less breakdowns in communication on defense. Less ''misses'' on offense, etc. We get it. The Patriots are a better team now. But the Jets are as well.

And remember, in week 2, it only took 30 minutes of decent football for these Jets to beat the Pats by 2 scores...

dece

But saying you didn't have half of what you have now back in week 2? You added Branch and Mankins and subtracted Moss. And the playbook, like all teams, expands as the season goes on, I get it. But the Patriots are very similar to what they were in week 2. They are just better. Better than they were at most, if not all, facets of the game. Less breakdowns in communication on defense. Less ''misses'' on offense, etc. We get it. The Patriots are a better team now. But the Jets are as well.

And remember, in week 2, it only took 30 minutes of decent football for these Jets to beat the Pats by 2 scores...

And by "decent football" you mean "by FAR the best football the Jets have played in a year", right? Saying that performance was "decent" is absolutely ridiculous. The Jets are struggling in pretty much every game, and they manhandled the Patriots in the second half of week two. That was your team playing at their very best and ours playing pretty mediocre.

The Patriots are not similiar to what they were week 2 on offense. They didn't have Woodhead or Branch who have changed the offense. Are the Jets still the same run the ball down people's throats and throw mostly short dump off passes that they were in week 2? Certainly not. Both teams on offense have changed significantly.

Well, the decent football the Jets did was take away Moss eventhough Brady still tried to force the ball to him. I expect the Jets to shut down Moss again Monday night, but probably won't have the same effect. Fact of the matter is that the Jets struggled with the Pats when Brady was spreading the ball around, when he started to lock in on Moss that is when the offense fell apart (he must have thought he could win big with Revis out of game).

Last edited:
I didn't read the entire thread, just the first page, so I'm assuming that someone already mentioned this already....at least I hope so.

WHAT a ridiculous freakin' statement by Rappaport!!!! Why would anyone even bother to read anything he says based on that comment. He knows NOTHING about football....and this just proves it.

First Herandez is likely to see only about 20 plays on offense. So what what is Revis going to do the other 40 or 50 plays....sit on the sideline? ;rolleyes:

2nd Hernandez is fast....for a TE, but not nearly as fast as most WRs, so putting Revis on Hernandez is just play overkill and stupid. God how dumb can you be.

Hernandez HAS been more effective vs man to man coverage than zones, so he might still have a good game, but he ISN'T going to be covered by Revis. Most likely he is going to be on Branch....and should hold him to one or 2 catches. But that's going to be a fair trade off.

Sorry if I went off here, but Jeesss.

When I asked how the Jets would do a "heck" of a job on Brady, I meant that question in the strategic sense of the word. In other words, what exactly would they do on defense that would produce what you claim they will.

The Patriots are absolutely not similar to what they were in week two. It's not just the addition and subtraction.

The addition of Mankins has completely changed the mentality of the offensive line- they are meaner and more aggressive now, and executing much more solid blocks. The emergence of Crumpler and Gronk as secondary level blockers is far more developed now than it was in week two.

In week two, our running game was one dimensional in the little amount of time we used it- now we have the combination of BJGE/Woodhead, two players with two very different styles of rushing, and that consistently keeps the defense off balance, because you're either going to get a power north-south runner who will hit you hard and drag tacklers, then on the next snap, you get someone who is elusive and very hard to tackle.

Having Branch in lieu of Moss is more than just subbing one player for another. For one thing, it brings Brady back to what he does best, find the open receiver, whoever it is. One of Brady's recurring problem, post-2007 was his tendency to tunnel-vision or to try for the homerun where death by a thousand paper cuts would have been better (and that is what he is doing now).

The playcalling in week two started off good (our first solid drive ate up 8:10 off the clock) and turned horrendous. That is not going to repeat itself this time, if you look at our last three games, where it has been lights out.

When I asked how the Jets would do a "heck" of a job on Brady, I meant that question in the strategic sense of the word. In other words, what exactly would they do on defense that would produce what you claim they will.

The Patriots are absolutely not similar to what they were in week two. It's not just the addition and subtraction.

The addition of Mankins has completely changed the mentality of the offensive line- they are meaner and more aggressive now, and executing much more solid blocks. The emergence of Crumpler and Gronk as secondary level blockers is far more developed now than it was in week two.

In week two, our running game was one dimensional in the little amount of time we used it- now we have the combination of BJGE/Woodhead, two players with two very different styles of rushing, and that consistently keeps the defense off balance, because you're either going to get a power north-south runner who will hit you hard and drag tacklers, then on the next snap, you get someone who is elusive and very hard to tackle.

Having Branch in lieu of Moss is more than just subbing one player for another. For one thing, it brings Brady back to what he does best, find the open receiver, whoever it is. One of Brady's recurring problem, post-2007 was his tendency to tunnel-vision or to try for the homerun where death by a thousand paper cuts would have been better (and that is what he is doing now).

The playcalling in week two started off good (our first solid drive ate up 8:10 off the clock) and turned horrendous. That is not going to repeat itself this time, if you look at our last three games, where it has been lights out.

By ''heck of a job'' I mean a 21-38 210 2-1 type game, which by Brady's standards is sub par (and I would probably sign for that from Sanchez right now, which still shows the gap between the two!)

I just think people are underrating the Jets CB's coverage skills and the schemes Rex applies. I know the Pats have alot of wr's. But the Jets have two guys who excel in man coverage, and a host of other decent players who can combo other options. I think Brady is going to find the going much more difficult than he did vs. Pitt or Indy.

Brady might just be good enough to break this defense and shred it. He is certainly a great player. But I think the Jets are built with depth in the defensive backfield (more so than last year when Lito Sheppard was trying to cover Welker!) to counter some of what there prolific passing offenses do.

That's assuming they line him up on the line on every play. If he lines up 5-10 yards off the line, Branch could have the ball before Revis even gets to him.

other teams already tryed that earlyer in the year when he was playing the small guys and this was the result they got.

YouTube - Darrelle Revis Big Hit

Last edited:
I don't really understand this idea. Outside of a few drives recently, the Jets have been outstanding at covering multiple receiver sets. They are very deep at cornerback (with coleman, lowrey, wilson, and cole all playing).

The ONLY area they have struggled with at times has been seam routes to the tight ends. And often that is due to scheme, not inability to cover. The Jets like to bring pressure up the middle from S position. Of course that leaves them vulnerable in the area they blitzed from.

I think the Jets will do a heck of a job on Brady this week (and by heck of a job, I mean hold Tom to a lower %/YPA than he is used to.

If the Jets do not turn the ball over on offense and play solid specials, I do not see the Pats breaking 24pts
You haven't seen on offense like ours yet, and that includes week 2.

If you want Dwight Lowery or Coleman covering Hernadez or Gronkowski, be my guest. That's a matchup the Pats will win all day.

Cromartie is good for covering the long striders, but he can't handle short quick guys like Welker and Branch. You'll probably put him on one of our tight ends. Luckily, we have two of them, and no one else on your defense except Revis is capable of covering them.

All this game comes down to is protection. If Brady has the time to make throws, our receivers are going to get open.

I dunna know. Jets are a very good defensive team and in the last 3 games, Ryan has had some good sucess vs TB but in looking at how the Pats have done vs the top scoring defenses in the AFC, they've done well and theoretically, should do better as the offense is performing at a very high level now.

Offensive points scored:

Pitt #1: 32 points
NYJ-#2: 14 points
BAL #3: 23 points
SD #5: 23 points
MIA #6: 27 points

Ave vs top 1/3rd in AFC: 23.8ppg

I still say 31-27 Pats

By ''heck of a job'' I mean a 21-38 210 2-1 type game, which by Brady's standards is sub par (and I would probably sign for that from Sanchez right now, which still shows the gap between the two!)

I just think people are underrating the Jets CB's coverage skills and the schemes Rex applies. I know the Pats have alot of wr's. But the Jets have two guys who excel in man coverage, and a host of other decent players who can combo other options.

Yet, Hernandez burned them for 100+ yards the first time. He was the first 100+ yards receivers the Jets allowed in quite a while.

You estimate Brady is going to have those numbers, but it doesn't make sense- it doesn't look like you are taking into account his performances in the past few games which has been lights out. Why should that change for the Jets game, when it especially didn't change for the Steelers game.

The Jets have a great defense, but the Steelers defense rank ahead of them in important categories such as points allowed, interceptions, sacks, passes defended, and rushing yards allowed, yet we pummeled them.. on their home field, for the most points scored against them in quite a few years.

I hope that Tate spent the week catching bullets from the jug machine. It's about time he proves his worth as a receiver.

Why is it so hard for Jets fans to admit that Revis struggles against guys like Welker when Revis has already admitted as much himself?

Why is it so hard for Jets fans to admit that Revis struggles against guys like Welker when Revis has already admitted as much himself?

The only time some of Jets fans can admit Revis is less than super human is when he is holding out for $18 million a season. Then he isn't really as good as his hype.

Last edited:
Yes.. with the Denver OL.. you know they rank last in run support?

I hope the Pats try playing that little screen and quick passes against the Jets . They will be playing rite into the strength of the Jets secondary. Jets corners and safeties are great playing close to line where they struggle is the deep seam pass to the TE and the deep crossing patterns.

I hope the Pats try playing that little screen and quick passes against the Jets . They will be playing rite into the strength of the Jets secondary. Jets corners and safeties are great playing close to line where they struggle is the deep seam pass to the TE and the deep crossing patterns.

Is it Monday yeat?

We talk about Faulk as a "third-down" or "change-of-pace" back, but he was, at least the last few years, always quite a bit more than that. For example, in the last Pats-JEST playoff game, I remember a stretch where the Pats used the same play to Faulk on four or five consecutive downs, and he picked up 5+ yards on each of them.

You're absolutely correct, and he was a prominent part of our two-minute offense as well. Didn't mean to downplay Faulk's role, just meant that Woody's (and Faulk's) role extended way beyond just play-action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back