PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rappaport expects Revis to cover Hernandez

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Ian on Sports Tonight is guessing Rex will send out Revis to primarily cover the Pats receiver that he has little answer for and thinks Hernandez is that guy he will assign him to.

Ian thinks since Hernandez has proven to be a mismatch for LBs and Ss to cover him that because of his size and speed Revis will get the call

I don't think Revis has ever covered a TE on his island :rolleyes:

I find that an interesting thought but don't see it happening but you know Rex with his defensive skills as coach will do whatever it takes to take away the biggest receiving threat on the Pats, so Ian's prediction,if it happens,will not surprise me.

That sounds like setting themselves up for failure. Cromartie is great against Moss, but not as useful against Welker and Branch. In that scenario, both Welker and Branch get favorable matchups.

I find it difficult to beleive that Revis will be on Hernandez. Rex will try to take away our biggest receiver, but the truth is we have no single "biggest" receiver. Its a crap shoot for him to figure out who'll get the most catches. My guess is they still scared of Welker and will put revis on welker.

Last edited:
I think it will be Revis on Welker and Cromartie on Branch, and both guys will be split way out wide to stretch the defense and open up the seams for the TE's. I see primarily the Ace package, and from time to time, Tank (3 TE 1 WR 1 RB). I used to be a fan of the empty set against the Jets but think we should stay away from that.

One area of major concern to us is the play action- we fare very poorly in play action against the Jets, and that is what Woodhead functions out of. So that is going to be a big question mark.

Revis will be on Branch. They are foolish any other way. Revis has no experience in the slot so he won't be on Welker either and they'd be dumb to put him on a TE (as good as ours are).

I find it difficult to beleive that Revis will be on Hernandez. Rex will try to take away our biggest receiver, but the truth is we have no single "biggest" receiver. Its a crap shoot for him to figure out who'll get the most catches. My guess is they still scared of Welker and will put revis on welker.

Personally I think Cromartie is good enough to cover Welker in this game,he has not played as bad as some have thought he would.

I just saw stats that Revis in his past 4 games has not allowed more than 32 yards to the receiver he has covered,thats just unbelievably good and he is back..Andre Johnson was the guy with the paltry 32 yards.

I can safely say that whoever Rex sends Revis on we need Brady to look the other way,that guy will be a non factor.

I see Revis taking away Brady's all time favorite receiver and his favotite target downfield,Deion Branch...it might be Welker but with the unpredictable Rex, the expectations do not always occur.

No matter how you slice it someones gonna cause problems for their D and the way Brady's playing he'll find whoevers open.
These small shifty recievers are not the Jets D-Backs forte, I like our matchups this time around.
Ians thinking that Revis can cover big guys better so maybe they'll try and take that away so Hernandez doesnt have a field day, problem for them is Welker and/or Branch might instead.

No matter how you slice it someones gonna cause problems for their D and the way Brady's playing he'll find whoevers open.
These small shifty recievers are not the Jets D-Backs forte, I like our matchups this time around.
Ians thinking that Revis can cover big guys better so maybe they'll try and take that away so Hernandez doesnt have a field day, problem for them is Welker and/or Branch might instead.

I wonder if a guy that no one is even thinking about will be put in the game by the cagey Belichick and have a great game in the slot.....that guy is Julian Edelman

for me, and i don't want to give fatso any ideas, but i put cro-magnon man on hernandez.

I think Rex will seriously mix it up.

No one plan seems likely to work if he sticks with it, so I expect him to try to confuse the Pats on as many plays as he can pull that off.

I also expect a lot of mugging of our receivers as one of the options in the mix, perhaps even legally near the LOS.

I think it will be Revis on Welker and Cromartie on Branch, and both guys will be split way out wide to stretch the defense and open up the seams for the TE's. I see primarily the Ace package, and from time to time, Tank (3 TE 1 WR 1 RB). I used to be a fan of the empty set against the Jets but think we should stay away from that.

One area of major concern to us is the play action- we fare very poorly in play action against the Jets, and that is what Woodhead functions out of. So that is going to be a big question mark.

Agreed, I expect that'll be the match-up for the majority of the time. Welker absolutely destroyed them in last year's win. He wasn't healthy in week 2, it's obvious the difference between now and then, and so I'd expect them to put Revis there with some double teams as well. Gronk and Hernandez should both see significant playing time this week and will have the chance to be major factors.

Woody will still get a lot of plays even if we don't use play-action. At first I thought he'd be the Faulk replacement 3rd-down guy, but he's been running on all downs on some drives, and his blocking has been good enough that he can stay out there even when they're not in play-action and take the dump-offs and go with it.

Last edited:
I don't see Revis being used in the slot. I think he'll be the LCB while Cro will be the RCB.

If Tate is out there then i expect Cro will get him while Revis gets Branch. They had no answer for Welker last year, I don't expect him to have those numbers but he'll have a good day.

This is great. We are throwing them fits trying to figure out who to cover. Thats the reality of this Moss-less offense. Nobody ever knows who will get the ball. No more decoys, everybody is a decoy and everybody is a receiver at some point.

Like Sapp said...they aren't playing fantasy football anymore. Jets are afraid of these mixups.

That makes no sense that it makes sense.

Last edited:
Personally I think Cromartie is good enough to cover Welker in this game,he has not played as bad as some have thought he would.

I just saw stats that Revis in his past 4 games has not allowed more than 32 yards to the receiver he has covered,thats just unbelievably good and he is back..Andre Johnson was the guy with the paltry 32 yards.

I can safely say that whoever Rex sends Revis on we need Brady to look the other way,that guy will be a non factor.

I see Revis taking away Brady's all time favorite receiver and his favotite target downfield,Deion Branch...it might be Welker but with the unpredictable Rex, the expectations do not always occur.

I hope to God that Ryan is stupid enough to put Cromartie on Welker. That is a huge missmatch in the Pats' favor. Cromartie is a big physical CB. He is better suited to take on big receivers who go down the field. Unless he can knock Welker off his route at the line of scrimmage, there is no way he can consistently keep up with Welker with the routes he runs. Cromartie has had a good year, but his skill sets are not suited to take on a guy like Welker. He will be better suited for the Jets to either cover Gronk, Branch, or Hernandez.

As for Revis, he is still great, but his season has been overrated. Until TO, he hasn't been following the primary receiver on every play like he did last year. He has given up plays, but dominant.

As for throwing the other way from Revis, I disagree. You shouldn't be afraid of him. By his own admission, covering small, fast WRs isn't his strong suit. So Branch or Welker can potentially make plays on him. Like Cromartie, Revis excels at taking on big, down the field WRs. That why he can do well against guys like Megatron, Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, etc. Revis is physical and can fight down the field, but can he do nearly as well at following a short WR who is running a short route and changing directions 90-180 degrees on a dime. That isn't the game he is used to playing. Those are the type of receivers the Pats have.

You go to the Jets boards and they have been bragging that the Pats redid their offense to beat the Jets as if the Jets are in Belichick's head, but they are sort of right. Belichick did redo this offense to exploit the weaknesses of defenses like the Jets, but not the Jets' specifically. The same offense exploits the weaknesses of most top teams like the Ravens, Steelers, and Colts (all agressive defenses). The Jets' agressive defense that needs blitzes to pressure the QB and bigger CBs who are agressive man to man creates favorable mismatches for the Pats.

Personally, I think the Jets will be more effective if they do more zone coverages and only rush three or four players against the Pats on Monday. If they run their typical defense, Brady will move the ball because he will have open WRs.

I think Cromartie on Welker would make Brady's mouth water because it would put Cromartie in a position for him not to do his best and Welker can run routes that Cromartie can't keep up with. Revis on Hernandez might be a waste though since Hernandez has not been a factor in the offense for a few weeks.

Last edited:
so revis goes with hernandez.

cromartie goes on either welker or branch.

whoever cromartie doesn't get covered by gets kyle wilson in a nickel package and either leonard or pool on the other in a standard package.

as long as they are in a nickel, keep the TE's tight on the left side and run the ball.....

otherwise, work the coverage and dump off to woodhead because there is nobody in the jets front 7 that will be able to get to him.......

or just toss it to gronk because leonard and/or pool is no match for him

empty house behind the ILB's.

the most important thing will be patience.

anyway.....I don't think the revis on hernandez thing is going to happen

my biggest concern will be connolly on ellis in passing situations

I have been thinking that the Pats are keeping some plays up their sleeves for the December run in and the playoffs, with Hernandez being one of the main targets. I don't think his drop off in action has been caused by poor performances, more by the offense trying to get other players action and experience (eg Branch back into the fold). Similarly they appear to have put Gronk back in the cupboard from the Pittsburgh game so that he is ready to be used when the situation demands it. This offense is very TE oriented, but not in a one dimensional way, as any one of the three can have their number dialed at any time. I loved seeing Crumpler released down the left side on the first play of last week's game.

More importantly the TEs will be needed to protect Brady on the inevitable blitzing from the Jets. The blitz I worry about most is the DB blitz which TFB has fits with, and that's where Crumpler and Gronk can help the most.

It is possible that the game plan this week does include a lot of Hernandez, and the Jets would be wise to account for him in their plan. But that is the beauty of this new offense, you just never know what is going to be run.

They are morons if they put Revis on Hernandez man on man everytime he's on the field. If i see that and i'm BB, i leave Hernandez on the field every play and just don't throw to him until they change it up.

If i was the jets i would put Revis on Welker and Cromartie on Branch and mix up the rest.

They could always try to put Cromartie on Gronk on passing downs but if they are wrong he will destroy Cromartie and then take on the next defender without effort.

Should be very interesting.

I wouldn't read into the PA numbers very much. The Jets were perfectly suited to stop NE's offense last year (top #1, nothing else in the first game. Simply adding Welker the 2nd time around made a huge different the 2nd) and in their initial incarnation this year. NE's offense isn't remotely the same as it was. The TE's are a bigger threat, the OL is playing better, the offense is far more diverse. It will be difficult for NY to hold NE under 24, IMO.

As for Woody, I've seen much more PA to Benny. Are you thinking of shotgun?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back