PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Patriots do not work with Condon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, Cromartie isn't on the Pats.....OH!!! Condon, ok, I gotcha!

C'mon! Not even a giggle? :(

I was on my high horse after I thought of that one :yeeha:

Oh what the heck, it's late, and I'm feeling generous ;)

Condon was right the Patriots should not have been trying to force a 6 year deal on Watson, and he was vindicated in the last CBA when they reduced initial deals. The average NFL career is 4 years, IIRC, and asking a very late 1st rounder to wait until their 7th season to hit free agency is unfair.

I would hope the Patriots ignore representation when choosing players as they are always going to be signed and getting the best players is what matters.

Condon was right the Patriots should not have been trying to force a 6 year deal on Watson, and he was vindicated in the last CBA when they reduced initial deals. The average NFL career is 4 years, IIRC, and asking a very late 1st rounder to wait until their 7th season to hit free agency is unfair.

I would hope the Patriots ignore representation when choosing players as they are always going to be signed and getting the best players is what matters.

Yea but if the player misses all of training camp (not an issue this year I suspect) then he basically is going to be a wash his first season. That has to be a huge issue...

Regardless of Condon's power and connections, I'm still of the opinion that there will be a rookie wage scale. The player's side did not have a problem with the idea; the opposition had to do with how to divy up that additional money.

The owners may be flexible on a few points, but one I don't see them bending on is the rookie wage scale. It will either be in place, or there will be no football this year.

With that in mind I'll stand (apparently alone) that Condon or any other agent will not affect the Pats decision on whom they draft next week.
Time line is critical here. You see a rookie wage scale when a new CBA is reached, the question arises, "when?" With the possibility Federal judges siding with the players may force the NFL to resume operations before all litigation is resolved hanging over the draft, a rookie wage scale for this draft is uncertain. Which creates a disincentive to work with Mr. Condon (should our speculation into the NE/Condon antipathy proves well founded).

Yea but if the player misses all of training camp (not an issue this year I suspect) then he basically is going to be a wash his first season. That has to be a huge issue...

I'm not aware of Condon holding out more players than other agents but i suppose that's possible, and i agree that no team wants their picks sitting out, however the contracts are basically slotted so there shouldn't be too much difference regardless of representation and in this case the issue was old and related to length not money. I don't want the Patriots avoiding great players because they don't like the agent.

I'm not aware of Condon holding out more players than other agents but i suppose that's possible, and i agree that no team wants their picks sitting out, however the contracts are basically slotted so there shouldn't be too much difference regardless of representation and in this case the issue was old and related to length not money. I don't want the Patriots avoiding great players because they don't like the agent.

Notice Peyton Manning unsigned ( Condon client now a free agent ). Colts better hope that the franchise tag is retained or Condon is going to have fun with them.

John Moffitt went to the same high school as Tom Condon.

I wonder if he's repped by him.

I don't condone this type of humor. If children read this message board, you have just sullied us all.

I don't condone this type of humor. If children read this message board, you have just sullied us all.

I think it's safe to assume any child that is capable of navigating the internet to a thread about NFL Agents within a Patriots' fan sub-forum already knows what a condom is.

Last edited:
I don't really think it matters when it comes to UDFAs: it's not like Condon can demand a $100K signing bonus for Herzlich (FWIW, that's about what Cannon can expect for a 4-year deal). . . .

...But I won't be surprised to learn after the fact, that Condon wouldn't even listen to any offer from Bill
- if he even bothers to make one - unless it significantly exceeded any other offer from any other team.

...But I won't be surprised to learn after the fact, that Condon wouldn't even listen to any offer from Bill
- if he even bothers to make one - unless it significantly exceeded any other offer from any other team.

If Herzlich listens to Condon on which team he should play for Condon's selfish reasons, he does not deserve to be a Pat. On the other hand, Herzlich might fancy his chances on a team with weak inside LBs.

If Herzlich listens to Condon on which team he should play for Condon's selfish reasons, he does not deserve to be a Pat. On the other hand, Herzlich might fancy his chances on a team with weak inside LBs...

..or even weaker OLBs, a position which I feel that Herzlich might be able to play here,
as long as his strength & explosion continue to return to him.

Actually, I don't think that ILB is in really bad shape btwn. Mayo, Spikes, Guyton
(although he sux vs. the run), and Fletcher. Another Spikes-type thumper would be nice,
but overall I'm good with what they have. There are a few units on the team in much worse shape than ILB.

Last edited:
Condon was right to tell Watson not to sign a 6 year deal and I would be really disappointed in the Patriots if they actually allowed the acrimony of one negotiation, especially one where the agent held the high ground, to keep them from taking the best players because he represents them.

The NFL changed the rules for length of deals after that and agreed that 6 years for the #32 was too long to ask for. Expecting players to pass their prime before hitting UFA status is blatantly unfair.

Is there actual evidence that Condon demands more from NE than other teams?

Is there actual evidence that Condon demands more from NE than other teams?

No, because they haven't done business together for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back