PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport loves Pryor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowell33

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ian Rapaport of the Herald said tonight on Comcast Sportstonight that Myron Pryor was "in line for some serious playing time" and that "he's a guy who could really break out". Rapaport mentioned that Pryor has the position flexibility the Patriots covet and plays both DT and DE well.

If true this could be the huge difference between success and relative mediocrity.

I have a bunch of mediocre relatives...

He's shown some flashes of inside pass rushing. He will play a lot on passing downs this season.

Last edited:
I thought Pryor played very well last season in limited playing time. Obviously he didn't come in looking like Seymour and dominating as a rookie, but he certainly showed he is better than average for his draft position.

He's shown some flashes of inside pass rushing. He will play a lot on passing downs this season.

Definitely, he intrigued me last year, and definitely makes Brace's lack of progress so far sting a lot less. If we can get interior pass rush from him with any consistency, that'll be huge.

I watched him blow up a few plays as a rookie and get great inside push from time-to-time. I'm excited to see more of the kid.

Pryor was very impressive last year when the Patriots went to sub packages and 4-3 fronts. The problem with him seeing an increased role, such as RDE in the base 3-4, is that he is 6'1 310 lbs, and lacks the length to play DE and the girth to play NT.

I would guess that when the Pats drafted him, he is someone they graded out at a 3rd round level as an overall player but as someone who didn't really fit the system, but took him in round 6 because at that point he was too good to pass up. He could be a great NT or 3-technique in a one-gap 4-3 because of his quickness and active hands.

For us, I see him him filling the Jarvis Green role as a sub package interior pass rusher. Against pass-heavy spread teams like Indy, against whom the Pats typically employ some version of a 4-2-5, he will probably play a majority of the snaps at DT.

Pryor was very impressive last year when the Patriots went to sub packages and 4-3 fronts. The problem with him seeing an increased role, such as RDE in the base 3-4, is that he is 6'1 310 lbs, and lacks the length to play DE and the girth to play NT.

I would guess that when the Pats drafted him, he is someone they graded out at a 3rd round level as an overall player but as someone who didn't really fit the system, but took him in round 6 because at that point he was too good to pass up. He could be a great NT or 3-technique in a one-gap 4-3 because of his quickness and active hands.

For us, I see him him filling the Jarvis Green role as a sub package interior pass rusher. Against pass-heavy spread teams like Indy, against whom the Pats typically employ some version of a 4-2-5, he will probably play a majority of the snaps at DT.

Ah very interesting analysis esp. in regards to his draft position.

Pryor showed outstanding quickness and penetrating power. He was not really stout against the run but I suspect that he spent the offseason getting stronger in which case he would be a huge asset to the team considering the question marks about Brace and injury issues with Warren.

I want him next to Wright on the inside of pretty much every 4-2 Nickel play. Now we just need to figure out who's playing at LE in those subpackages...

r656334454.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye