PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport Goes Fishing re Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is less than 2 years at most to pull off the traded part. Mallett will either be traded or cut by 2014 because they won't extend him if they think he can't be a starter right away and he won't sign a deal that doesn't both pay him as such and/or give him at least a shot at starting. That is backup QB 101. They don't hang with that first team past the first contract. If they did it would mark them as lacking drive and ambition, like the one guy who did...Manning's former backup who thereafter got injured without even playing and was gone a season later.

Hoyer or Cassel could easily return if they want to shop Mallett. Both took their shot and either failed (and not necessarily entirely through their own fault) or found no takers. You can keep them here almost indefinitely as more of a veteran system backup while you continue to audition other developmental players for a possible role as the eventual replacement.

That's a good point. Mallett has two years to show he's a starting NFL QB.

I also like the idea of Cassel being our Charlie Batch/Jon Kitna as the backup and keep a 3rd QB spot for a young kid. We know BB values every roster spot though.

The ONLY ways I can see Belichick keeping Mallet and not resigning Brady:

1) Brady retires and Belichick wants at least 1 post-Brady year.
2) Brady gets a catastrophic injury yet insist his 40 year-old body can heal like a 20 year-old and he IS coming back, you'll see.
3) Brady himself asks Belichick so he can retire and say it wasn't his idea.

4) *And maybe Belichick balks at this* - Brady is CLEARLY the guy who used to be Brady and Gisele asks Belichick because Tom has too much pride. *Like I said, Belichick might balk at this but we are talking hypotheticals.*

Did you seriously just say that Brady is going to be cut because his wife asks BB?
Wow.

Why didn't they do that this year? They have made their decision on Hoyer, and it seems like the right one.

Last sentence...2012 cap $ (way over vet min) vs Mallett looking decent enough for spot #2 emergency. We're speculating about what happens when The hammer's contract is up.

Did you seriously just say that Brady is going to be cut because his wife asks BB?
Wow.

I wrote if Brady is the player who used to be Brady but is too proud to admit it.

Yes, in that circumstance Belichick MAY not resign him if Gisele, or even the Easter Bunny, asks him.

Is your point that Belichick is too stupid to make the evaluation of a clearly declining future, hypothetical Brady when openly invited too because the person inviting him is a woman?

Misogyny does not become you.:)

Sorry about the red part. I'm a Andy Hart fan.:)

Last edited:
Last sentence...2012 cap $ (way over vet min) vs Mallett looking decent enough for spot #2 emergency. We're speculating about what happens when The hammer's contract is up.

We weren't under a cap pinch, and if we were, we could have brought Hoyer back in any of the subsequent 10 weeks he was sitting home, and paid him the vet min that he accepted from Pitt.

I wrote if Brady is the player who used to be Brady but is too proud to admit it.

Yes, in that circumstance Belichick MAY not resign him if Gisele, or even the Easter Bunny, asks him.

Is your point that Belichick is too stupid to make the evaluation of a clearly declining future, hypothetical Brady when openly invited too because the person inviting him is a woman?

Misogyny does not become you.:)

Sorry about the red part. I'm a Andy Hart fan.:)

Yeah, the only reason I thought it was a ridiculous post is because she is a woman:rolleyes:

Seriously do you have any clue whatsoever how football decisions are made?

In your example Brady is shot, but won't accept it, and BB is ready to resign him for what, 18 mill a year?, and only doesn't because Brady's wife (fill in father uncle or cousin if you wish) calls BB and says wait he's done and cant admit it?

We weren't under a cap pinch, and if we were, we could have brought Hoyer back in any of the subsequent 10 weeks he was sitting home, and paid him the vet min that he accepted from Pitt.

Waste of the 53 which BB is enamored with. 2012 Mallett fills 2 slots, #2 QB and developmental QB.

But it's a possibility which is no more than he said. Not all successful sportsmen want to continue into their forties, particularly if there's an opportunity to finish at the top. What happens if we win the next two SB's? Brady's legacy is secure and unless he's a stat hunter which I don't think he is, the opportunity to retire a legend rather than a fading legend would have appeal, particularly in a physical sport like football.

The truth is, nobody knows and to see people try to write Brady's future in absolute terms is laughable (not directed at yourself Mayo).

If people are bothered about speculation about Brady's future, they're in for a long few years. Brady's getting on in years, he's been a fixture for a decade, is a major star and his contract is nearing an end. Of course people are going to speculate. And with the closed nature of the organisation, that speculation will likely be worse than normal.

I'm not bothered by it, but I think it's ridiculous speculation. Rapoport presented Brady's statement as though it was "something new" which revealed some insight into his possible future. Nothing of the sort. Brady can walk away form the game whenever he wants, and there are certainly no absolutes.

Waste of the 53 which BB is enamored with. 2012 Mallett fills 2 slots, #2 QB and developmental QB.

I'm not sure why BB is any more enamoured with his 53 man roster than anyone else, did I misunderstand your point?
Again, what reason is there to go back to a guy who wasn't good enough to keep or go back and get while he sat unemployed?

They made their decision for 2012, no question.
Are you implying they will make a different one regarding Hoyer at some point in the future?

There is zero evidence in favor of, or in opposition to, this claim of yours.
The evidence is the decision of the coaching staff that worked with him for 3 years, and the other 31 GMs who saw no value in him.
Agreed its not conclusive evidence, but its pretty convincing.

I don't know if this is worth a thread, but we have a long week off. This tidbid showed up in Ian Rapoport's most recent column on NFL.com:

Rex Ryan, New York Jets are susceptible to Tim Tebow mania - NFL.com

??? Brady says "there's no coach I ever want to play for than [BB]" on the occasion of BB's 200th win, and Rapoport turns it into a "Brady might retire after his contract expires after the 2014 season" fishing trip?

Isn't there a decent chance that Brady will be extended by a couple of years anyway thru 2016, allowing for a restructuring of sorts to his current deal? I thought that this was a good possibility, but maybe I am wrong?

I'm not sure why BB is any more enamoured with his 53 man roster than anyone else, did I misunderstand your point?
Again, what reason is there to go back to a guy who wasn't good enough to keep or go back and get while he sat unemployed?

I could be incorrect Andy, but it sounds to me like Wicked Pissah may be in agreement with you regarding no reasoning to consider bringing back a vet/adding another QB.

I think his point was just that Mallett fills both slots of backup and developmental, and his propensity for properly managing crucial roster spots allowed him (and Hoyer's salary which was not worth it) to make Hoyer expendable.

Sorry for butting in if I am incorrect ;)

I am eagerly awaiting RAppaport's upcoming article about Gronkowski's impending holdout for a trade to Tampa Bay.

Are you implying they will make a different one regarding Hoyer at some point in the future?

No, I'm stating that the decision they made was for 2012. They could certainly change their minds in the future. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

The evidence is the decision of the coaching staff that worked with him for 3 years, and the other 31 GMs who saw no value in him.
Agreed its not conclusive evidence, but its pretty convincing.

He was cut at the end of camp, and he's since been signed by the Steelers. That's no evidence at all as to whether the Patriots made the right call, either way, which was my point. Calling it "convincing" is purely projection on your part, and is nothing even remotely factual.

Last edited:
No, I'm stating that the decision they made was for 2012. They could certainly change their minds in the future. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

He was cut at the end of camp, and he's since been signed by the Steelers. That's no evidence at all as to whether the Patriots made the right call, either way, which was my point. Calling it "convincing" is purely projection on your part, and is nothing even remotely factual.

Feel free to think the Patriots would cut a backup QB, let him sit unemployed for 3 months, then decide they want to have him on the team next year, as well as feeling a player not being wanted by any of the 32 teams until at least one ends up 4 deep at QB, not being a convincing argument that cutting him appears justified. It is pretty clear to me. But hey, I'm sure there are a number of QBs who were cut in camp after 3 years in the league, sat unemployed for 3 months because no one wanted them, and then became good QBs. I just am drawing a blank about who they are.

Feel free to think the Patriots would cut a backup QB, let him sit unemployed for 3 months, then decide they want to have him on the team next year,

Good point. The Patriots have never brought back players they've cut before, and they've never brought someone back after a period of time. Once you're gone, you're gone. :rolleyes:

as well as feeling a player not being wanted by any of the 32 teams until at least one ends up 4 deep at QB, not being a convincing argument that cutting him appears justified. It is pretty clear to me. But hey, I'm sure there are a number of QBs who were cut in camp after 3 years in the league, sat unemployed for 3 months because no one wanted them, and then became good QBs. I just am drawing a blank about who they are.

Now you're just posting nonsense. A QB who got cut at final cuts, in a year where the league is full of first and second year QBs starting and locked in veterans behind them, is now employed. Furthermore, even if he never got another NFL job, it wouldn't be evidence that the Patriots were right. You're just projecting here, and you're doing a piss poor job of it.

Let it go.

Good point. The Patriots have never brought back players they've cut before, and they've never brought someone back after a period of time. Once you're gone, you're gone. :rolleyes:
Have they ever cut a player in camp, had that player sit unemployed for 3 months then brought them back the next year, at any position, much less QB?

Now you're just posting nonsense. A QB who got cut at final cuts, in a year where the league is full of first and second year QBs starting and locked in veterans behind them, is now employed. Furthermore, even if he never got another NFL job, it wouldn't be evidence that the Patriots were right. You're just projecting here, and you're doing a piss poor job of it.

Let it go.
Np, what I am doing is giving my OPINION. In my opinion the evidence is convincing. That doesn't have to be your opinion, nor are you obligated in any way to comment on mine. If yours is different, so be it, but it really has very little to do with mine.

Why would we bring back Hoyer? We cut him, and no one else wanted him for 3 months. Why wouldn't we draft or sign someone who is better?

The draft is a crap shoot in many ways, no telling who you can or can't secure and as for signing there aren't a whole lot of players at the position just sitting around waiting for that call at any given time, let alone ones thoroughly with your coaches, personnel and system.

We bring guys back all the time. Hoyer was caught in a bit of a squeeze due to his RFA tender being almost $2M, due to Mallett making some level of progress and being a lot more affordable, and due to Bill hitting on quite a few draft picks he was reluctant to part with or risk to the PS. Roster spots have been at a premium all season. Exacerbated by a number of injuries not to mention the need to carry 4-5 TE's... Belichick may feel Hoyer has hit his ceiling while Mallett may not have. Still, Hoyer's ceiling is competent backup. That guy isn't always a developmental player, in fact he usually isn't unless you have little choice. Belichick took a risk this year that he had taken in the past (with Hoyer, as a rookie) but he is on record saying it isn't necessarily something you're always going to get away with.

The timing of Hoyer's release was actually pretty shabby, aside from the extenuating circumstances previously mentioned. It's tough for a guy in his position to catch on with a new team post camp, not to mention when the system here is somewhat unique compared to guys who have run a more common system.

I have no reason to doubt that Belichick would welcome back either Cassel or Hoyer if the price and situation were right. I don't even doubt they winced just a bit when they heard that Hoyer got picked up because it meant he was off the shadow roster.

Feel free to think the Patriots would cut a backup QB, let him sit unemployed for 3 months, then decide they want to have him on the team next year, as well as feeling a player not being wanted by any of the 32 teams until at least one ends up 4 deep at QB, not being a convincing argument that cutting him appears justified. It is pretty clear to me. But hey, I'm sure there are a number of QBs who were cut in camp after 3 years in the league, sat unemployed for 3 months because no one wanted them, and then became good QBs. I just am drawing a blank about who they are.

If not for a season ending injury Cassel likely would have been that guy. As it was he had no takers beyond our former GM even after going 11-5 here in 2008. They cut Gutierrez who likely would have remained unemployed for months after except Brady went down and they brought him back as beyond emergency insurance given they were left with KOC as Cassel's backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes