PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking the round one CBs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
kas, I really do like his skills and think he'll be a fine prospect for another team. For the Pats however, I get an uneasy feeling from reading how he was arrested in LA in 2005 on suspicion of rape. And that police also found 136 Ecstasy pills in his apartment. Charges were never filed -- but do we really want to take a chance?

I've been wrong before, but Wright is off my board as a character risk -- not as a talent.

Ya, I know about the rape and the pills. But look, kids make mistakes all the time. Definitely not condoning his actions, but to say BB wouldn't draft him solely because of those red flags is a little extreme I think. Let's put it this way - if BB/Pioli interview and speak to his coaches and feel as if he has "turned the corner" in his life, then I could definitely see him being a solid pick early in round 2 or even at the end of round 1. We've drafted guys with problems in their history before, and as of now the front office has pretty much perfect in spotting guys who have put such issues behind them.

Ya, I know about the rape and the pills. But look, kids make mistakes all the time. Definitely not condoning his actions, but to say BB wouldn't draft him solely because of those red flags is a little extreme I think. Let's put it this way - if BB/Pioli interview and speak to his coaches and feel as if he has "turned the corner" in his life, then I could definitely see him being a solid pick early in round 2 or even at the end of round 1. We've drafted guys with problems in their history before, and as of now the front office has pretty much perfect in spotting guys who have put such issues behind them.

Remember Christian Peter was drafted, then released the next day because hit hit his girlfriend? Methinks date rape is about a gazillion points higher up the scale.

There is NO way that Myra allows this guy into camp, even if he is drafted.

Ya, I know about the rape and the pills. But look, kids make mistakes all the time.
(Possible) rape and over 100 Ecstasy pills aren't "mistakes". They're signs of a total loser.

Pass.

In general I'm not a big fan of this year's CB. As Dryheat said, lots of Cover 2 types - I see a 3rd and/or 4th rounder like with Hobbs and Samuel.

(Possible) rape and over 100 Ecstasy pills aren't "mistakes".

Have to agree about that. And it's not like Wright has years of model citizenship since then to prove he's a new man. USC was preparing a disciplinary hearing, so he skipped out to UNLV (with the eager encouragement of the USC football program, which didn't want that hearing any more than he did. Shhhh...) He played all of 9 games for UNLV then declared for the draft with eligibility remaining.

But he's a terrific prospect on the field, no question.

Huges ran a 4.56 or whatever. That's about what Samuel ran. 40 times are a little overrated.

As for dryheat, you don't have Hall on your list, por que?

Random thought - any chance we take 2 CBs in round 1?

Reyes apparently has potential to play FS.

Scenario - Reyes and one of Hall/Ross/Houston

FS - Wilson, Hawkins, Hawkins, Reyes
SS - Harrison, Sanders, Mitchell
CB - Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Reyes, Hall/Ross/Houston

Random thought - any chance we take 2 CBs in round 1?

Reyes apparently has potential to play FS.

Scenario - Reyes and one of Hall/Ross/Houston

FS - Wilson, Hawkins, Hawkins, Reyes
SS - Harrison, Sanders, Mitchell
CB - Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Reyes, Hall/Ross/Houston

Hall and Houston are supposedly going very high. Revis might also, he might be gone at #24, you never know.

Don't know about drafting 2 CBs. Ross has some drawbacks...don't know if he's a first rounder.

He might trade up to the teens and try to draft Landry, if he's available. People say he won't be but guys always drop. Someone has to. Or he may wait until round 3 or 4 to draft a safety. Also Revis is a great tacker, he could probably play safety if needed.

I have little doubt Houston is going high. Some have a tendency to look at stats vs what the player did on the highest level of competition.{I do it all the time} He played vs Dwayne Jarrett,Robert Meacham and Dwayne Bowe and only allowed 14 catches 168 yards and 1 td. From what I've read he dominated Meacham and Sidney Rice. I could care less what a player does against Eastern Toledo or Kentucky southern. Does he do it consistently? How does he fair against other NFL hopefuls? He's faced off vs 4 of the top 6 WR's in the countries and passed with flying colors.

Last edited:
I have little doubt Houston is going high. Some have a tendency to look at stats vs what the player did on the highest level of competition.{I do it all the time} He played vs Dwayne Jarrett,Robert Meacham and Dwayne Bowe and only allowed 14 catches 168 yards and 1 td. From what I've read he dominated Meacham and Sidney Rice. I could care less what a player does against Eastern Toledo or Kentucky southern. Does he do it consistently? How does he fair against other NFL hopefuls? He's faced off vs 4 of the top 6 WR's in the countries and passed with flying colors.

Better look @ your game by game stats. I'm pretty sure that Rice had 10
catches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes