PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking the Patriots' Offseason Priorities

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Re-sign Mankins.

2. Trade for Fitzgerald.

3. Get a time machine and bring back young Vrabel and Willie.

4. Failing 3, draft or trade for solid DE/OLBs.

5. Cue the duck boats.

Assuming we have Mankins:
1. DE
2. OL to replace Light
3. Trade for Fitzgerald
4. RB/OLB

1.) RB (BJGE will fill this need soon but it's a need right now)
2.) Good interior lineman
3.) OLB to replace Ninkovich/TBC
4.) RB. We only have two so you need a third-BJGE and/or Woodhead are going to get hut at some point.
5.) A good young lineman.
6.) DE (eventually Warren replacement if possible)
7.) A safety
8.) Another OLB type

1. OLB
2. OL
3. DE
4. S
5. RB

with that being said. i dont care who they get if that player is a good player. i dont want crummy bums

Assuming Mankins and Light are both resigned.....

1) RG - a starter for next year

2) C - a replacement for Koppen who can takeover in the immediate future, preferably right now

3) DE - 1 stud DE who can be a presence next to Wilfork. Outside of that though, they have enough depth and able bodies here.

4) OLB - IMO star power isn't as big an issue here as much as depth is. OLB needs to get to a point where TBC is cut or never sees the field. Two well rounded OLBs other than Cunningham who make it so there's a good rotation at OLB is all the defense needs at OLB, they don't need a 12+ sack stud like some people think.

5) WR - a #1 (not necessarily elite) physical receiver who Brady can go to on 3rd down and in the red zone

6) LT - a replacement for Light

7) RB - depth behind BJGE and Woodhead

I really like your list and agree with a lot of it. Heres my list in order of priorities.

1) OG - Resign Mankins and address RG. Neal is old and injury prone despite being a good player. Connelly is not an adequate starter. Draft Danny Watkins or Clint Boling and let them compete for a starting position next season.

2) DE - Draft one guy who is a difference maker on all 3 downs. Gerard Warren is solid but hes aging. Ty Warren should be back next year with a bang and I thought Brace had a very good year and is a starter in the future. Mike Wright, Brandon Deaderick, Myron Pryor are all very good backups. Thats 5 DEs and solid depth. Its time to get someone we can mold into a star. Draft Muhammed Wilkerson.

3) WR - This position needs to be evaluated. Are Tate and Price good enough to develop into solid outside WRs? This is a question only the coaches are going to know. Branch is alright but on most teams hes a 2 or 3. However, Brady and him do have a great repoire and overall bringing him back was a great addition. I think improvement here could come internally. We aren't trading for Larry Fitzgerald because the Pats don't value WRs and arent going to give up 2 picks for him. We also wont sign a bigtime free agent WR. Titus Young really intrigues me if we can land him at 60. I think he could become our Mike Wallace/DeSean Jackson.

4) S - I am sick and tired of seeing our safeties burned in coverage. Meriwether makes plays sometimes but blows coverage alot and goes for too many knock out hits instead of wrapping up and making the tackle. Chung struggles vs elite slot WRs as well and should be playing in the box more or back off the line of scrimmage. With Sanders and Meriwether FAs after next year we would be smart to draft Rahim Moore in the early 2nd Rd. This kid is a ballhawk and could be used to cover slot WRs and TEs as well as playing deep in coverage and covering the thirds of the field.

5) OLB - I think we need depth at this position and not necessarily a star like you said. Ninkovich had a very similar year to Vrabel did in his first year starting. Nin looks very good in coverage and had two outstanding INTs vs Miami. Cunningham had a great rookie year and I see him as a 8-10 sack guy in the Willie Mcginest role. Cunningham looks good with his hand down rushing the passer or setting the edge in the run game. I don't really like him dropping into coverage. These two players will get a lot better and will start next year regardless of who we draft. They will also look a lot better once we get a 3-4 DE in this draft and with Ty Warren coming back. Moore was solid rushing the passer late in the season. TBC played 60% of the snaps last year but his snaps dwindled as the year went on and he was passed by Moore at the end of the year. I think we need to find a developmental guy in the mid rounds of the draft who can challenge TBC and Moore for PT. I love Robert Quinn's potential but hes not falling to 17 and we wont trade up for a project.

6) RB - I think BJGE is a good starter and Woodhead is an excellent change of pace back. We need to to find some solid runners behind these guys. I would love Stevan Ridley from LSU who reminds me a lot of BJGE because hes big, runs powerfully, and hes a one cut runner. Delone Carter out of Syracuse would be a solid pick as well and would be a good pounder between the tackles. Kendall Hunter would give us a great home run threat and hes quicker then any RB on the team right now.

7) OC - Koppen was rated as the 4th best C on espn scouts inc before the season and was a pro bowl snub. Hes a consenus top 7 center in the game but we do need to find his eventual replacement. I wouldnt mind Kirkpatrick from TCU in rd 5. I don't see anyone in this draft coming in and replacing him so a pick in the late rounds is a good place to look for a developmental prospect.

8) OT - Resign Light and this position is set with Vollmer, Light, Kaczur, and Levoir.

9) Backup NT - I think Kyle Love could be upgraded but even if he isnt this wont be the reason we dont win the Super Bowl next year.

I really like your list and agree with a lot of it. Heres my list in order of priorities.

1) OG - Resign Mankins and address RG. Neal is old and injury prone despite being a good player. Connelly is not an adequate starter. Draft Danny Watkins or Clint Boling and let them compete for a starting position next season.

2) DE - Draft one guy who is a difference maker on all 3 downs. Gerard Warren is solid but hes aging. Ty Warren should be back next year with a bang and I thought Brace had a very good year and is a starter in the future. Mike Wright, Brandon Deaderick, Myron Pryor are all very good backups. Thats 5 DEs and solid depth. Its time to get someone we can mold into a star. Draft Muhammed Wilkerson.

3) WR - This position needs to be evaluated. Are Tate and Price good enough to develop into solid outside WRs? This is a question only the coaches are going to know. Branch is alright but on most teams hes a 2 or 3. However, Brady and him do have a great repoire and overall bringing him back was a great addition. I think improvement here could come internally. We aren't trading for Larry Fitzgerald because the Pats don't value WRs and arent going to give up 2 picks for him. We also wont sign a bigtime free agent WR. Titus Young really intrigues me if we can land him at 60. I think he could become our Mike Wallace/DeSean Jackson.

4) S - I am sick and tired of seeing our safeties burned in coverage. Meriwether makes plays sometimes but blows coverage alot and goes for too many knock out hits instead of wrapping up and making the tackle. Chung struggles vs elite slot WRs as well and should be playing in the box more or back off the line of scrimmage. With Sanders and Meriwether FAs after next year we would be smart to draft Rahim Moore in the early 2nd Rd. This kid is a ballhawk and could be used to cover slot WRs and TEs as well as playing deep in coverage and covering the thirds of the field.

5) OLB - I think we need depth at this position and not necessarily a star like you said. Ninkovich had a very similar year to Vrabel did in his first year starting. Nin looks very good in coverage and had two outstanding INTs vs Miami. Cunningham had a great rookie year and I see him as a 8-10 sack guy in the Willie Mcginest role. Cunningham looks good with his hand down rushing the passer or setting the edge in the run game. I don't really like him dropping into coverage. These two players will get a lot better and will start next year regardless of who we draft. They will also look a lot better once we get a 3-4 DE in this draft and with Ty Warren coming back. Moore was solid rushing the passer late in the season. TBC played 60% of the snaps last year but his snaps dwindled as the year went on and he was passed by Moore at the end of the year. I think we need to find a developmental guy in the mid rounds of the draft who can challenge TBC and Moore for PT. I love Robert Quinn's potential but hes not falling to 17 and we wont trade up for a project.

6) RB - I think BJGE is a good starter and Woodhead is an excellent change of pace back. We need to to find some solid runners behind these guys. I would love Stevan Ridley from LSU who reminds me a lot of BJGE because hes big, runs powerfully, and hes a one cut runner. Delone Carter out of Syracuse would be a solid pick as well and would be a good pounder between the tackles. Kendall Hunter would give us a great home run threat and hes quicker then any RB on the team right now.

7) OC - Koppen was rated as the 4th best C on espn scouts inc before the season and was a pro bowl snub. Hes a consenus top 7 center in the game but we do need to find his eventual replacement. I wouldnt mind Kirkpatrick from TCU in rd 5. I don't see anyone in this draft coming in and replacing him so a pick in the late rounds is a good place to look for a developmental prospect.

8) OT - Resign Light and this position is set with Vollmer, Light, Kaczur, and Levoir.

9) Backup NT - I think Kyle Love could be upgraded but even if he isnt this wont be the reason we dont win the Super Bowl next year.

I for the most part even agree with your player ideas. Right now Wilkerson seems like the best fit at DE, and I agree Kirkpatrick somewhere in rounds 3-5 as Koppen's replacement is my first choice given where they can get him. Wisniewski might be better right now, but using a pick that high on an interior lineman doesn't make much sense. I personally think Koppen has been pretty bad lately, but with Mankins back plus better play at RG, Koppen won't have as much pressure as a blocker. I say they move Kaczur over to RG where he'd be successful and then draft a tackle early as the backup/eventual Light replacement. A lot of the tackles in this year's draft are raw which is why it might be best to have one in the backup role for 1-2 years before taking over.

I didn't even realize the parallels between Ninkovich and Vrabel until you mentioned them, but at 2nd glance they're pretty remarkable. Both did absolutely nothing their first 4 years in the NFL, then in their 5th seasons at age 26, both played in all 16 games (Vrabel starting 12, Ninko starting 10). Vrabel had 3 sacks, 2 interceptions and 53 combined tackles. Ninko had 4 sacks, 2 interceptions and 55 combined tackles. At first I thought bring Ninko back as a backup OLB, but after looking at that he's earned the right to start next year, as has Cunningham. OLB is a grossly overrated need for this team, if Ninko and Cunningham could both add 5-10 pounds without losing mobility they'd be what the defense needs starting OLB, and their play would improve with a stud DE. Lets just pray that DE is Wilkerson.

My ideal and somewhat realistic draft at this point:

17 - Wilkerson
28 - Castonzo/Carimi
33 - Jon Baldwin
60 - Deunta Williams
3A - Kirkpatrick (if they're gonna get him it might need to be with this pick)
3B - Jeremy Beal
4 - Owen Marecic
5 - Greg Mceloy

To me, it's simple: defensive line and offensive line. Sign Mankins and Light. Draft LINEMEN. Get bigger and more physical on both sides of the line.

I would trade 2 #1's for a Lineman of Seymour's Caliber if there was one in the Draft.

We need another power defensive lineman that requires a double team which will only make our Linebackers even better, and provide a way to hit the QB.

We need a tough, stout D-line, and it will make our young secondary look great.

I also want a Full back.

In considering off-season priorities, it MIGHT be useful ro consider our roster if there were no additions or subtractions.

I think that this method produces a very different result than other analyses. Sure, we should bring in a DE and/or an OLB, but these is a WANTS not NEEDS. ANd yes, I do agree that a DE should be our first pick if we can find the value and quality.

But as a matter of absolute need, we "need" an OG, an OT, and a couple of RB's. Most of us recognize that Mankins and Light are the key to the offseason.

Active Players By Position
QB - 2 Brady, Hoyer
RB - 5 Green-Ellis, Woodhead, Clayton, Kettani, White
C - 2 Koppen, Wendell
G - 3 Neal, Connolly, Ohrnberger
OT - 4 Kaczur, Vollmer, Levoir, Maneri
WR - 6 Welker, Branch, Edelman, Tate, Price, Slater
TE - 3 Crumpler, Gronkowski, Hernandez

DE - 4 Deaderick, Love, Ty Warren, Brace
DT - 3 Wright, Pryor, Wilfork
OLB– 4 Cunningham, Banta-Cain, Ninkovich, Moore
LB - 4 Mayo, Guyton, Spikes, Fletcher
CB - 5 Bodden, McCourty, Wilhite, Butler, Arrington
S - 5 Meriweather, Sanders, Chung, Brown, Barrett

P - 1 Mesko
K - 1 Gostkowski
LS - 1 Katula

To me, it's simple: defensive line and offensive line. Sign Mankins and Light. Draft LINEMEN. Get bigger and more physical on both sides of the line.

I second the post above.

Center - I like Copin, but he gets eaten for lunch at the worst possible times.
Pass Rusher - Hali would be great, Wimbley would be nice, Woodley would be great. I don't care where the Pats get him, we need a stud pass rusher.

Draft needs
Stud pass rusher - A new talent added to the defense along with either Hali, Woodley or Wimbley. Without a pass rush we lose in round one again next year.

Running Back - breakaway back or a three down back. I like BJGE, but he is an average back who got the most out of his talent. The Pats need somebody.

Regie Bush - Can you imagine Regie Bush in Kevin Faulk's role with this offense?

Defensive End who plays the run - Somebody who can set the edge in a 3/4 defense and who can let Vince go back to where he belongs.

Coaches - Bill has the smallest coaching staff in the league, I put the loss to the jets more on the coaching staff than I do the players and if Bill had hired a real offensive coordinator or a real QB coach who knows, maybe they self evaluate and recognize the flaws that the Jets found.

First and foremost we need a pass rusher.

Second I would like to see us get a RB that we can pound the ball with when Brady can't get it done. Not some has been, used up JAG, we need another pair of shoulders to carry the load. Someone defenses need to worry about!

After watching year in year out our DB's getting injured I would love another decent CB. Not a need as such, but a definite luxury.

Finally, we need OL help. We need Mankins, and some beast to play beside Vollmar.

1a: DE: An edge sealer
1b: OT: insurance and future need.

2a: CB: Want someone across from McCourty other than Bodden/Butler.
2B: C: insurance and future need.

3a: S: Insurance and future need.
3b: OLB: Someone who can rush and/or cover.

4: WR: Someone tall to go over the middle.

5: RB: A return game type or a big blocking type.

Last edited:
Again, there is no rational basis for ranking CB that high.

1a: DE: An edge sealer
1b: OT: insurance and future need.

2a: CB: Want someone across from McCourty other than Bodden/Butler.
2B: C: insurance and future need.

3a: S: Insurance and future need.
3b: OLB: Someone who can rush and/or cover.

4: WR: Someone tall to go over the middle.

5: RB: A return game type or a big blocking type.

Having corner and safety above OLB, WR and RB makes absolutely no sense at all.

agreed...........the only real priority for the pats defense is a pass rush. if the pats have a pass rush that provides as much pressure as the average of the top 10 teams in that regard, then our DB's will look all that much better.

the pats OLB's simply do not scare anyone and it is arguable that they are the worst grout of 3-4 OLB's in the entire NFL. outside of cunningham, the rest pretty much walked in off the street. the pats are depending on guys like TBC, ninkovich, moore, woods, crable. its been like this for a couple of years. adding one guy is not going to change this group much......

Seriously. The only way the Pats should think about drafting a corner is if the player is just an insane value (Patrick Peterson at 17, for example).

1. OLB
2. Mankins/Light
3. WR
4. Deangelo Williams
5. DE

Having corner and safety above OLB, WR and RB makes absolutely no sense at all.

Makes a lot of sense to me .... another prime corner and a deeper secondary makes us lethal in the pass happy NFL . OLB, WR and RB solutions can be found deeper in the draft for low money.

Makes a lot of sense to me .... another prime corner and a deeper secondary makes us lethal in the pass happy NFL . OLB, WR and RB solutions can be found deeper in the draft for low money.

You must not have been watching any Patriots football this year.

Last edited:
agreed...........the only real priority for the pats defense is a pass rush. if the pats have a pass rush that provides as much pressure as the average of the top 10 teams in that regard, then our DB's will look all that much better.

the pats OLB's simply do not scare anyone and it is arguable that they are the worst grout of 3-4 OLB's in the entire NFL. outside of cunningham, the rest pretty much walked in off the street. the pats are depending on guys like TBC, ninkovich, moore, woods, crable. its been like this for a couple of years. adding one guy is not going to change this group much......

Every year that is a main topic of this board ... an every year Belichick shows it is not a high priority to him. We can play the game as it's a high priority - or we can move on and finally realize an adequate pass rush is all he is looking for. So are we ranking it for us or are we ranking it based on what Bill is thinking? He'll draft one of the DE's and get some rush out of them ... as long as they can seal the edge which is a way huger priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back