PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking the Patriots' Offseason Priorities

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
The same debate over what, in order of importance the Pats offseason priorities should be seems to be repeating itself in several threads in the forum right now.

So for all of you that want to discuss this topic: here you go, this thread's for you.

Last edited:
OLB
Interior OL
DE

Assuming Mankins doesn't return:

OLB/DE
OG
WR
OC
RB

Probably somewhere along those lines, IMO. I'd prefer to go the FA route to address the WR situation.

As long as Light and Mankins are unsigned, the list below are my off-season priorities. That doesn't mean that thesze are our draft priorities.

OG (Connoly as a starter?)
RB (we do only have Woodhead signed for 2011).
OT (or Kaczur as a starter)
DE (a top to 35 pick if value is there)
OG (or counting on Neal)
OLB (a major need, as it was last year)
OC (Koppen is only signed through 2011)
S (both Sanders and Meriweather are only signed through 2011)

Last edited:
#1-RE-sign Mankins
#2-Sign/draft a "stud" at DE, theres enough depth at the position where i feel theres only room for a guy who will make an impact sooner rather than later Signing a top FA or using one of our 1sts.
#3-OLB
#4-OT- BB might be able to get away with Light for one more year if he re-signs either way i would like to draft his replacement this year, either to groom for a year or to come in right away.
#5 WR

Could also go G in the draft even if mankins returns

The OL, DEs, and OLBs are the biggest holes on this team followed by a 3rd WR and RB depth.

1) Franchise Mankins
2)Determine if Light can be extended reasonably or let go.
3)resign BJGE
4)If Light is gone OT (Castonzo,Carimi)
5)DE (Watt,Bailey,Clayborn)
6)C/OG (Pouncey, wisniewski)
7)pass rush OLB (Moch)
8)OG (Ijalana)
9&10) RB (4th rd Bilal Powell, plus FA Ricky Williams)
11) WR (5th rd Shorts)
12) back up DL
13) Back up OLB

1) Retain Mankins.
2) Draft or sign a RT
3) Defensive line LENGTH. They're still a year or two away from fully loaded rush weapons. Clogging the passing lanes is critical.
4) Homerun back
5) Body positioning receiver
6) Finally take that weakside OLB stud.

1. Re-sign Mankins (or, less desirably, franchise him).

2. Go hard after either Woodley or Hali - gives them a very good edge pass rusher that already plays in a 3-4.

3. Try to trade up to get an impact DL in the draft.

4. Draft two OL.

5. Sign WR Malcom Floyd. Wouldn't likely be too expensive, but he's 6'5" and explosive (17+ ypr career average).

6. Draft a RB and LB.

7. Sign another quality RB (like Michael Bush or Pierre Thomas or Ahmad Bradshaw).

That should just about do it.

Free Agency

1. Logan Mankins
2. Kamerion Wimbley (with the assumption that Hali and Woodley will be franchised)
3. Matt Light
4. Wide Receiver

Draft

1. 3-4 Defensive End (Cameron Jordan from California)
2. Offensive Guard (Mike Pouncey from Florida or Danny Watkins from Baylor)
3. Offensive Tackle (Best available at #33 draft position)
4. 3-4 Outside Linebacker (Sam Acho from Texas - late 2nd/early 3rd round)
5a. Backup Free Safety
5b. Backup Offensive Center/Guard
7. Backup Running Back

1. Stud DE at all costs (or two!). Belichick's 3-4 system cannot afford to put out "pretty good" guys that are supposed to individually account for two players each. It's time to replace Seymour.

2. OLB. Need #1 will improve the pass rush and make players like Cunningham better, but the Pats could use a beast here. The Super Bowl will feature Clay Matthews and James Harrison. The Pats need someone who demands attention.

3. OL/interior. Assuming Mankins does not re-sign, this is a clear need. The good news is you can usually get a quality player in the mid-rounds, and he learning curve is not as tough as other positions. I'd like to see Mankins back, but we don't always get what we want. Meanwhile, Koppen and Neal (especially) will need replacements soon.

4. RB/FB. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with BJGE, but the Pats do great with 3-TE sets. That said, I'd like to see 2 big, powerful backs that can wear down a defense, rather than having Morris and Taylor collect dust on the bench. A fullback would also be a nice addition.

5. CB/S. Simply because this is the most important area on the field in the modern NFL. You cannot have enough quality defensive backs.

6. WR. A big, physical threat is what the doctor is ordering. He doesn't have to be a burner, but someone who can win matchups against smaller, quicker defensive backs. With the weapons the Pats have on offense, they are one piece away from having a full chess set at the skill positions.

I think some people are confusing "offseason priorities" with "draft priorities". With that in mind, here's my list.

1.- LG - extend or franchise Mankins.

2.- LT - extend Light

3.- DE - improved production from this position will also help #4 ...

4.- OLB - lack of pass rush has plagued this team for three years now

5.- C - Koppen just doesn't get it done against big 3-4 NT's

6.- RB - Could be two or three new RB's on next year's roster

7.- WR - A physical type with good hands that can hopefully get some separation

8.- S - Start thinking about the possibility of a replacement for Sanders and/or Meriweather; their contracts are up soon

9.- Another OL or another OLB

Sign the Beast!!
The only problem is identifying who that is. ^_^
I'll settle for one of Woodley or Hali then we can focus on DE and OG in the draft.

Last edited:
I'm basing the priorities off of the current state of the team. Given that:

1st: OG, RB (current open starting positions)
2nd S, OT, C (starting positions open after next year)
3rd: WR, DE, OLB (positions that could be improved on)

Last edited:
I generally agree with this analysis. I ahve 2 nitpicks.

A) Do you believe that RG's are a dime a dozen or do your really like Connolly and Neal at RG with no need for improvement? I guess I would ahve this higher then 9th.

B) You ahve safety at 8th because we migh need to repalce one or both soon. Neither is signed past this year. AND, it takes at least a year to develop a safety for the patriots. So, I would think that this would be a higher priority.

BTW, the "lack" of a passrush has plagued the team since the day Seymour left. it has little to do with the quality of our linebackers.

I think some people are confusing "offseason priorities" with "draft priorities". With that in mind, here's my list.

1.- LG - extend or franchise Mankins.

2.- LT - extend Light

3.- DE - improved production from this position will also help #4 ...

4.- OLB - lack of pass rush has plagued this team for three years now

5.- C - Koppen just doesn't get it done against big 3-4 NT's

6.- RB - Could be two or three new RB's on next year's roster

7.- WR - A physical type with good hands that can hopefully get some separation

8.- S - Start thinking about the possibility of a replacement for Sanders and/or Meriweather; their contracts are up soon

9.- Another OL or another OLB

Resign Mankins. Acquire another guard in FA, like say Carl Nicks from NO. Draft the best player available at 17. With 2nd 1st round pick trade into the 2nd or 3rd plus a future pick next year. Then at 33 take the best available lineman, whether it's a T who can move inside or an interior lineman. Sign a FA widebody WR. Someone who can get open, but not necessarily a deep threat. Say James Jones or Mike Sims-Walker. That would be a good start for me.

FA - Pierre Thomas, Hali or Woodley, A WR - I don't really care who

Resign Light for reasonable money

Franchise Mankins, despite that fact he won't like it.

Draft - DE, OLB, C/G

That would do it for me..........

#1 re-sign Mankins,

#2 re-sign Light,

#3 re-sign BJGE

#4 have a Draft as good as last years

i dont see the pats makeing any kind of big splash in the FA market maybe sign a JAG or two the key is to re-sign there own big names so they dont have to replace them in the Draft

#1 re-sign Mankins,

#2 re-sign Light,

#3 re-sign BJGE

#4 have a Draft as good as last years

i dont see the pats makeing any kind of big splash in the FA market maybe sign a JAG or two the key is to re-sign there own big names so they dont have to replace them in the Draft

This works for me, except I really want Hali and Thomas.......

Assuming Mankins and Light are both resigned.....

1) RG - a starter for next year

2) C - a replacement for Koppen who can takeover in the immediate future, preferably right now

3) DE - 1 stud DE who can be a presence next to Wilfork. Outside of that though, they have enough depth and able bodies here.

4) OLB - IMO star power isn't as big an issue here as much as depth is. OLB needs to get to a point where TBC is cut or never sees the field. Two well rounded OLBs other than Cunningham who make it so there's a good rotation at OLB is all the defense needs at OLB, they don't need a 12+ sack stud like some people think.

5) WR - a #1 (not necessarily elite) physical receiver who Brady can go to on 3rd down and in the red zone

6) LT - a replacement for Light

7) RB - depth behind BJGE and Woodhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back