PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking the Patriots Draft needs

In light of the (probable) loss of Talib, you have t believe that defensive back will be a higher priority in the draft, depending on what happens in the FA period.

Assuming we resign Talib (or a corner of near equal skill) and cut Wilfork.

#1 TE/WR - We need a playmaker period. Ideally with size that can also be a redzone target.

#2 DT - Even if we keep Kelly and he is back he is only 1 starter of 2 we need.

#3 SS - Another starting spot which is open. I don't like Harmon here at all. I think he is a good rotational/backup guy but he is no starter from what I can tell.

#4 DE - This is very important too but you handle the starting spots first. This is however the most important backup spot we have to fill.

#5 CB - Talib goes down and the D falls apart. We need another legit corner. He doesn't need to be as good but he needs to have the size and ability to stick to #1s for the most part. Ryan/Dennard are good but not good enough.

Now some people will wonder why OL did not make my list. Well because it is not the reason they lost. The pass protection was good enough and your run game will get stopped at high level playoff play. As long as we have what we did last year and improve our weapons a bit it will be fine.

I think the need at OL has been overplayed. The reason it looked not as good last year is cause the WRs/TEs did not get open or make defenders cheat back.

I would triple down on TE.......Amaro,Niklas(may end up being the best TE in the draft) and Lyerla late

I would triple down on TE.......Amaro,Niklas(may end up being the best TE in the draft) and Lyerla late

As others will tell you, I'm all for TEs, but even I think this is a touch excessive. I don't think we need more than two in the draft :)

IDK about triple down but I am more than willing to double down. My 2 would be ASJ and Lyerla. I think Hooman is a fine option for blocking/utility.

Also unless we did a permanent 2 TE set we likely would not dress 4 TEs. Though if we had 4 quality guys it probably be worth doing a permanent 2 TE set : P

IDK about triple down but I am more than willing to double down. My 2 would be ASJ and Lyerla. I think Hooman is a fine option for blocking/utility.

Also unless we did a permanent 2 TE set we likely would not dress 4 TEs. Though if we had 4 quality guys it probably be worth doing a permanent 2 TE set : P

Lyerla? I have to believe that he is off the Patriots' board....unless he drops to the fourth round...ooops he is off the board

In light of the (probable) loss of Talib, you have t believe that defensive back will be a higher priority in the draft, depending on what happens in the FA period.

I'm inclined to treat DB as a round-1 possibility just about every year, for just about every team. With two-thirds of snaps now played in nickel and dime, and given the inevitable injuries, you simply need a lot of talent.

For the Patriots last year, 7 different DBs played more than one-third of defensive snaps, which I expect is par for the course. And NOBODY has 7 reliable DBs.

People who text message rather than communicate like normal Earthlings make me Stabby.

And your notion of Tripling Down is obnoxious, ridiculous, ludicrous, and preposterous.

Naturally, I approve.

People who text message rather than communicate like normal Earthlings make me Stabby.

And your notion of Tripling Down is obnoxious, ridiculous, ludicrous, and preposterous.

Naturally, I approve.

I don't have any problem with "tripling down", but I do have a problem with using 2 high picks on the TE position (e.g., Amaro, Niklas). What I'd like:

- 1 UFA or day 1-2 TE
- A day 3 TE conversion with elite athleticism (Logan Thomas, Larry Webster) or a moon shot on Colt Lyerla
- A day 3 H-back like Trey Millard or Trey Burton

Naturally, I approve.

I don't have any problem with "tripling down", but I do have a problem with using 2 high picks on the TE position (e.g., Amaro, Niklas). What I'd like:

- 1 UFA or day 1-2 TE
- A day 3 TE conversion with elite athleticism (Logan Thomas, Larry Webster) or a moon shot on Colt Lyerla
- A day 3 H-back like Trey Millard or Trey Burton

Oh, absolutely. :)

I certainly wouldn't sign off on the lad's notions.

That Scenario would be horrible.

I just love his All In Attitude. :cool:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back