PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking Patriots Draft Needs

In theory if a lot of teams are looking to move back it is possible that those who do won't get a lot in return for doing so.
Therefore, lets say the Pats end up staying at 29 because there is not much offered in return.
If there is a person that they covet in the mid to late 40's range do you see them taking that person at 29 to meet a team need, even though most would consider it foolish?

Last edited:
I get what you are saying but It really depends on the player they pick. If they did go WR there is a real chance the player could beat out Dobson, and as much as I like Hightower there also a real chance Shazier could end up outside with Collins with Mayo in the middle. If they play It right and the draft falls right I could see them getting guys who contribute significantly on the interior OL, TE, LB, and possibly on the DL.

I agree with you. It's not as completely binary as I made it sound. I also like that you cited Dobson and Hightower because I think they are the most vulnerable to losing their position to a 1st rounder at their position as well.

The trouble this year is that all the teams will be wanting to trade down, for the reasons you state. thus, it will be so much harder. Trade up, trade back or stand pat, the strength of this class makes it difficult to fail at this first pick, at least in terms of initial feeling about the pick. I agree with your choices for the first pick, that's where I'm at too although I'd add in Kyle Fuller and Jimmie Ward as they're two of my favourite prospects in this draft. But, there are lot's of options that I can get very comfortable with quickly, whether it be ASJ in the first, trade back for Easley as first pick, Dee Ford who I like ands heck, I'm even coming around on Xavier Su'a Filo as a first round pick. There aren't too many options that would cause me angst this year as a first round proposition.

I basically agree that a number of teams will look to trade down but that is also dependent upon who is on the board and what they need, they may want to trade down but if a guy they covet is there they are making the pick. That said i also think the Patriots long history of making trades at that point in the draft has cultivated numerous trade partners and that imo makes it easier to get deals done on draft day and more likely they could pull it off.

I definitely agree about the depth available at #29, i can't remember a draft where i was fine with 8 different prospects at #29. I have also brought Jernigan back into the discussion because i think that if they draft a DT who can get after the passer and start for them then they can put Tommy Kelly into the rotation at DE and essentially address two needs in one draft move.

I still think the top 4 needs are TE, C/G, DE/DT(pass rusher) & LB

It really depends though on do you think Will Smith and Dustin Keller will be signed as well as be effective. If you do then you can juggle things around. However no matter what we still need to draft these 4 spots fairly highly.

Why is it a Vet change the need? Even if they sign Keller they still need a TE NeXT year. They need new blood at both lines and TE. Then you have LB and WR where you need a top tir talent.

I find it intriguing that no one thinks of RB and QB as one of out top 4 draft needs.

We need a backup QB for 2015. I guess a 7th will be fine as a starter if Brady is down for a few game? Or maybe we'll just pay $4M for a plug a play veteran next year?

We have ZERO running backs for 2015. I understand that the RB positioni s not as important as it once was. Was Blount really not very important last year. Is Bolden, a 6th rounder or a street free agent the answer to replacing Blount? Why is it reasonable to go into 2015 with no running backs. Isn't the draft primarily about developing players for the next couple of years? I understand that we always have a low level talent at the end of the roster at RB. However, going with Ridley and Vereen (with Bolden as a backup) seems wrong.

Why is it a Vet change the need? Even if they sign Keller they still need a TE NeXT year. They need new blood at both lines and TE. Then you have LB and WR where you need a top tir talent.

Well I am not saying it changes the need completely but it does to a degree. For instance TE was a spot I have mocked a double dip more often than not. If you sign Keller you still get a TE in the first 3 rounds but you don't double dip then.

Also if they believe Smith can be a good rotational DE maybe your best value is to get DE later in the draft instead of in the top 2 rounds. It does not really change you need a young guy but it does change the order. If those 2 guys sign here and BB feels they can produce then maybe your best bet for your first 2 picks are now LB & OL to get max value for your team. That is all I am saying.

I find it intriguing that no one thinks of RB and QB as one of out top 4 draft needs.

We need a backup QB for 2015. I guess a 7th will be fine as a starter if Brady is down for a few game? Or maybe we'll just pay $4M for a plug a play veteran next year?

We have ZERO running backs for 2015. I understand that the RB positioni s not as important as it once was. Was Blount really not very important last year. Is Bolden, a 6th rounder or a street free agent the answer to replacing Blount? Why is it reasonable to go into 2015 with no running backs. Isn't the draft primarily about developing players for the next couple of years? I understand that we always have a low level talent at the end of the roster at RB. However, going with Ridley and Vereen (with Bolden as a backup) seems wrong.

Particularly in terms of RB, you haven't been reading my posts then.

I do think we need both and i could see them going RB AND QB with 2 of the first 5 picks. That sayed, Taliaferro may be the most sure bet i would have. Another one is Grice. Those 2 they should be able to get later day 3. QB really depends on the flow. Savage or McCarron could be options around 130-140.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they chose a RB in the top 4 rounds, despite the fact that we have bigger priorities ahead of it. I suppose it will depend on the old BPA concept.

I think we've seen many average/journeyman RBs come here and do fine in the RBBC system though, so it may factor in to Belichick's thinking as to how much he concerns himself with the position for 2015.

On top of that, I'm not sure why you keep stating that we don't have any RBs for 2015? Bolden is an RFA, and one would have to reasonably assume that we'll be retaining one of Vereen/Ridley. That's 2 right there. I doubt we see both Vereen/Ridley leaving myself, and Bolden isn't an URFA until 2016.

Yes, we could keep Bolden as an RFA. I don't think that he has shown much at all. I just don't like counting on Bolden for lots of 2014 reps, never mind being the 2015 starter.

Yes, we might try to keep Ridley or Vereen. I suspect that the one who has a better season will find more opportunity elsewhere.

I would be surprised if we don't draft a RB in the first four rounds.
=====================================
The bottom line for me is that we are very thin at RB, unless folks want a much higher percentage of passes (which I don't think we do). Four running backs will likely get significant reps, unless there are no injuries.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they chose a RB in the top 4 rounds, despite the fact that we have bigger priorities ahead of it. I suppose it will depend on the old BPA concept.

I think we've seen many average/journeyman RBs come here and do fine in the RBBC system though, so it may factor in to Belichick's thinking as to how much he concerns himself with the position for 2015.

On top of that, I'm not sure why you keep stating that we don't have any RBs for 2015? Bolden is an RFA, and one would have to reasonably assume that we'll be retaining one of Vereen/Ridley. That's 2 right there. I doubt we see both Vereen/Ridley leaving myself, and Bolden isn't an URFA until 2016.

IMO the RB talent is pretty spread out in this draft, with no urgency to grab a player early. Round 4 sounds just about right.

Given that this is a 2015-focused pick, it's a natural spot to take a chance on a raw player with elite physical tools who needs time to develop. Jerick McKinnon, anyone?

IMO the RB talent is pretty spread out in this draft, with no urgency to grab a player early. Round 4 sounds just about right.

Given that this is a 2015-focused pick, it's a natural spot to take a chance on a raw player with elite physical tools who needs time to develop. Jerick McKinnon, anyone?

I initially thought he would be a good candidate, but his inconsistent pass blocking and limited pass catching experience have given me doubts. He's an amazing athlete, and I would be psyched if they drafted him.

If we pick a raw talent in the 4th (quite possible), I think that we would need to sign a free agent as a backup RB in case of injury.

I would rather draft a RB who can be at least a backup in 2014, as Bolden was last year.

Given the need to carry 3 quarterbacks, I don't see us carrying a developmental RB who is unlikely to contribute this year. Josh seems to like having a FB and a 3 RB rotation.

If we pick a raw talent in the 4th (quite possible), I think that we would need to sign a free agent as a backup RB in case of injury.

I would rather draft a RB who can be at least a backup in 2014, as Bolden was last year.

Given the need to carry 3 quarterbacks, I don't see us carrying a developmental RB who is unlikely to contribute this year. Josh seems to like having a FB and a 3 RB rotation.

All solid points. Trey Millard is one option at FB who could actually takes some carries as well as playing more of an h-back role.

Yes, we could keep Bolden as an RFA. I don't think that he has shown much at all. I just don't like counting on Bolden for lots of 2014 reps, never mind being the 2015 starter.

Yes, we might try to keep Ridley or Vereen. I suspect that the one who has a better season will find more opportunity elsewhere.

The bottom line for me is that we are very thin at RB, unless folks want a much higher percentage of passes (which I don't think we do). Four running backs will likely get significant reps, unless there are no injuries.

I think Brandon Bolden is a fine choice for a RB4 on this team. He has averaged 4.9 YPC now for both of his campaigns, and improved dramatically in his pass catching ability with 22 grabs last year. He's not going to fool any of us into thinking that the second coming of Curtis Martin is out there, but he's more than capable of starting in a pinch if/when needed, and provides knowledge of our system and adequate depth. On top of that he only turned 24 a few months ago, so he's still very young and (and cheap). I don't see any reason to dump him myself, at least not this year anyway. The only scenario would be if we only carried 4 RBs AND added a higher-mid round draft pick. He was on the bubble last year, but I think our situation this season may not be quite the same.

I was simply pointing out that we could go from "zero RBs for next year," to at least 2-3 very quickly. If that's the case, it's not much different than any other year at many different positions. That's assuming that one of Vereen/Ridley will be retained, which is just personal opinion.

Last edited:
I basically agree that a number of teams will look to trade down but that is also dependent upon who is on the board and what they need, they may want to trade down but if a guy they covet is there they are making the pick. That said i also think the Patriots long history of making trades at that point in the draft has cultivated numerous trade partners and that imo makes it easier to get deals done on draft day and more likely they could pull it off.

I definitely agree about the depth available at #29, i can't remember a draft where i was fine with 8 different prospects at #29. I have also brought Jernigan back into the discussion because i think that if they draft a DT who can get after the passer and start for them then they can put Tommy Kelly into the rotation at DE and essentially address two needs in one draft move.
Would you say that Timmy Jernigan is a good pass rusher or more of a run stuffer?

RBs = Dime a Dozen. Law & Order (BJGE & Sheriff Woody) says that good ones can be had as UDFAs; no need to waste precious draft capital on them this year when we have far,far more pressing needs right now at DE, TE, C/G, SS, OLB & OT in roughly that order.

I think Brandon Bolden is a fine choice for a RB4 on this team. He has averaged 4.9 YPC now for both of his campaigns, and improved dramatically in his pass catching ability with 22 grabs last year. He's not going to fool any of us into thinking that the second coming of Curtis Martin is out there, but he's more than capable of starting in a pinch if/when needed, and provides knowledge of our system and adequate depth. On top of that he only turned 24 a few months ago, so he's still very young and (and cheap). I don't see any reason to dump him myself, at least not this year anyway. The only scenario would be if we only carried 4 RBs AND added a higher-mid round draft pick. He was on the bubble last year, but I think our situation this season may not be quite the same.

I was simply pointing out that we could go from "zero RBs for next year," to at least 2-3 very quickly. If that's the case, it's not much different than any other year at many different positions. That's assuming that one of Vereen/Ridley will be retained, which is just personal opinion.
I didn't understand your response. I don't have any problem with Bolden as our #4 RB. IMHO, we need a #3 (or better) who could be a #1 or #2 next year.

RB: Ridley, Vereen, ????, Bolden
FB: Develin

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back