PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking Patriots Draft Needs

Last time I looked Logan Mankins was drafted at a high pick in round 2.

Might be time to look again, then. :) Mankins was picked #32, round 1.

Might be time to look again, then. :) Mankins was picked #32, round 1.
Even better. That makes 2 ones and 2 twos amongst our best four. Martin and/or Bitonio. Add talent and youth. Right now our interior line is 32 years Connolly, 32 Mankins, and 28-29 for Wendell, Its time for some youth.

-defensive line
-tight end
-offensive line
-safety
-running back

Even better. That makes 2 ones and 2 twos amongst our best four. Martin and/or Bitonio. Add talent and youth. Right now our interior line is 32 years Connolly, 32 Mankins, and 28-29 for Wendell, Its time for some youth.

I'm all for drafting an OL or even two, AZ. I just think they can target better players and higher priorities in the top round or two, then address the OL.

We've seen Mankins, LIght, Vollmer, and Solder all taken in the 1st/2nd rounds, so it's certainly a possibility, but if the pick is going to be IOL for C/G, then taking a player that high may be argued as a bit of a waste.

Last time I looked Logan Mankins was drafted at a high pick in round 2. He is and has been a G since day 1. When Matt Light was drafted everyone thought of him as a G too.

Zack Martin or Joel Bitonio are college left tackles who at 6'4" are a little too small for tackle. BB says he wants flexibility in his players and drafts Left tackles Bitonio is called the best blocking OL in the draft, how good would he be at RG?. It frees Connolly to go back and compete at center. Light ,Solder, Mankins and Vollmer were higher picks and all started Day 1. Plus the OL is getting old; older than the DL. Its a good year for interior O linemen, so take advantage of that. Double dip in the 3rd or 4th with redshirt injury Brandon Thomas. You will have added needed youth and talent and hopefully solved the Offensive line problems. The PS guys on the roster add depth.

A Team with a Good Line always has Offense, regardless of the skill positions. .

Mankins was #32 and the one caveat I have made about taking an OL in the first is that they could draft a tackle and make him a guard as they did with Mankins. Other than that Sup is right, they don't use top 3 round picks on interior OL. Does that mean they never will, no, if they saw a Nick Mangold they might do just that but there is no Mangold in this draft so i don't see them doing it. At this point i don't want an OL in the first and definitely don't want them using a first on Bitonio. If martin was there it would be a consideration but I would still have a number of guys i would take over him, Shazier, Sefarian-Jenkins, Tuitt etc.... I would, however, put more emphasis on interior OL in the next 2 rounds, especially if they could get a really good starting center like Richburg or Martin.

I don't like this idea that people say "the Patriots never do this". We had never taken a RB in the 1st round...until it happened, we had never taken a interior lineman in the 1st round...until it happened. We had never taken a defensive end in the 1st round.....until it happened.

With the Patriots, don't rule anything out. They will take whoever they think fits their team the best. If a Mangold type is there, they would take him. If a Larry Fitzgerald type was there, they would take him too. I honestly don't think they limit themselves.

I don't like this idea that people say "the Patriots never do this". We had never taken a RB in the 1st round...until it happened, we had never taken a interior lineman in the 1st round...until it happened. We had never taken a defensive end in the 1st round.....until it happened.

With the Patriots, don't rule anything out. They will take whoever they think fits their team the best. If a Mangold type is there, they would take him. If a Larry Fitzgerald type was there, they would take him too. I honestly don't think they limit themselves.

I agree that they will do things we don't expect but the player has to be there and in this draft there is no Nick Mangold so they won't be taking one in the first. A center is a serious consideration after that because there is real talent there in the second and third rounds.

I agree that they will do things we don't expect but the player has to be there and in this draft there is no Nick Mangold so they won't be taking one in the first. A center is a serious consideration after that because there is real talent there in the second and third rounds.

Sorry but what real talent do you Refer to ?

Sorry but what real talent do you Refer to ?

Martin, Richburg, Swanson.....None are first rounders but all 3 are worth a serious look in the 2nd and 3rd rounds if they are available.

Martin, Richburg, Swanson.....None are first rounders but all 3 are worth a serious look in the 2nd and 3rd rounds if they are available.

Disagree. There are 2-3 other players i'll much rather have. Bitonio i beleave we all would love, but Wesley Johnson BB worked out and John Urschel ( My blinky ) we can get much later in the draft.

Disagree. There are 2-3 other players i'll much rather have. Bitonio i beleave we all would love, but Wesley Johnson BB worked out and John Urschel ( My blinky ) we can get much later in the draft.

No way i would use a first on Bitonio and Johnson at 290 is just too light for the NFL imo. They need an upgrade inside not a project. I would take a true center if Martin or Richburg are there in the 2nd.

No way i would use a first on Bitonio and Johnson at 290 is just too light for the NFL imo. They need an upgrade inside not a project. I would take a true center if Martin or Richburg are there in the 2nd.

First Johnson is 298 Second Richburg are 297 - Lets get the facts right ok.
I didn't talk about useing a 1. on Bitonio, but he wont go in the top 40, Small trade up could be done.
Martin mayby, but then we talk round 3.

John Urschel ( My blinky ) we can get much later in the draft.

I was very interested to read that Urschel worked out exclusively at center at the Penn State pro day. IMO he projects much, much better to C than G.

I was very interested to read that Urschel worked out exclusively at center at the Penn State pro day. IMO he projects much, much better to C than G.

He got ALL the tools to be a elite Center, both on and off the field. Sullivan Award Winner, last NFL player was Tebow, before him... P Manning. Dobble Master Degree in Math so he should be able to handle Xs and Os.. And no he wont go in round 6 as CBS beleave. Round 3-4 would be my guess.

If we keep our first I think I'm only content if we take a player that can be a day one starter. And looking at our current roster I think OG/C, S and maybe TE are the only positions that can happen at. I like Bitonio and Wesley Johnson a lot for that reason.

First Johnson is 298 Second Richburg are 297 - Lets get the facts right ok.
I didn't talk about useing a 1. on Bitonio, but he wont go in the top 40, Small trade up could be done.
Martin mayby, but then we talk round 3.

I am looking at "the facts" and Lindy's, which uses draft scout information has him at 290. And as it stands right now they have not traded down and Bitonio is supposed to go well before 62, so they would have to use a first to get him.

*Draft Scout has changed his weight to 297.

Last edited:
If we keep our first I think I'm only content if we take a player that can be a day one starter. And looking at our current roster I think OG/C, S and maybe TE are the only positions that can happen at. I like Bitonio and Wesley Johnson a lot for that reason.
I get what you are saying but It really depends on the player they pick. If they did go WR there is a real chance the player could beat out Dobson, and as much as I like Hightower there also a real chance Shazier could end up outside with Collins with Mayo in the middle. If they play It right and the draft falls right I could see them getting guys who contribute significantly on the interior OL, TE, LB, and possibly on the DL.

At this point i don't want an OL in the first and definitely don't want them using a first on Bitonio. If martin was there it would be a consideration but I would still have a number of guys i would take over him, Shazier, Sefarian-Jenkins, Tuitt etc.... I would, however, put more emphasis on interior OL in the next 2 rounds, especially if they could get a really good starting center like Richburg or Martin.

I think your comments are spot on. It's obviously a definite need and should be addressed as a priority, but there are other top notch players who'd come from being the best player available in the 1st, and maybe 2nd.

The fact that we'll need to draft our TE in the top 2 rounds should we want one of the top 5 prospects takes up one of those spots, and the players that you've listed on defense are much higher rated on the overall big board.

Obviously BB has an overall ranking system, along with a feel of what our priorities and needs are. The most important thing may be who could be available in the upcoming rounds vs who is left. Luckily as fans, we have a top notch seasoned vet at the wheel for this whole process, so all we can do is trust him.

I think this is kind of an obvious statement, but one of the best ways to address this whole process may be to trade down into the late 30's or so, for more selections in the "meat" of the rounds 2-4.

That could enable Belichick to draft 2 players (or so) in all three rounds 2-4, considering that we have two fourths from the comp pick. Any way you look at it, it would give us a plethora of picks in that all important middle area, where the majority of these players we're debating on seem to lie.

To take it one step further, if we still ended up with a good defensive prospect at #35 or #37 or something, that would just be one enormous bonus. Then we could have a guy like Tuitt, Richburg, Niklas, Robinson, Hyde etc all in that 35-80 area, with multiple selections. Again, it's the obvious way to go, and has been brought up before. That's pretty much what I'm hoping can happen.

If not, it's Shazier or Hageman/Tuitt for me at 29---unless someone crazy is still on the board who was ranked in the top 15-20 prospects.

I think this is kind of an obvious statement, but one of the best ways to address this whole process may be to trade down into the late 30's or so, for more selections in the "meat" of the rounds 2-4.

That could enable Belichick to draft 2 players (or so) in all three rounds 2-4, considering that we have two fourths from the comp pick. Any way you look at it, it would give us a plethora of picks in that all important middle area, where the majority of these players we're debating on seem to lie.

To take it one step further, if we still ended up with a good defensive prospect at #35 or #37 or something, that would just be one enormous bonus. Then we could have a guy like Tuitt, Richburg, Niklas, Robinson, Hyde etc all in that 35-80 area, with multiple selections. Again, it's the obvious way to go, and has been brought up before. That's pretty much what I'm hoping can happen.

If not, it's Shazier or Hageman/Tuitt for me at 29---unless someone crazy is still on the board who was ranked in the top 15-20 prospects.

The trouble this year is that all the teams will be wanting to trade down, for the reasons you state. thus, it will be so much harder. Trade up, trade back or stand pat, the strength of this class makes it difficult to fail at this first pick, at least in terms of initial feeling about the pick. I agree with your choices for the first pick, that's where I'm at too although I'd add in Kyle Fuller and Jimmie Ward as they're two of my favourite prospects in this draft. But, there are lot's of options that I can get very comfortable with quickly, whether it be ASJ in the first, trade back for Easley as first pick, Dee Ford who I like ands heck, I'm even coming around on Xavier Su'a Filo as a first round pick. There aren't too many options that would cause me angst this year as a first round proposition.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back