PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking Boston Sports Legends

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Who do you guys think in order are the best boston sports legends ever? I'm talking just the players, not owners or coaches. For me it's:

1. edit: Ted Williams

2. Bobby Orr - arguably the greatest NHL player ever.

3. Tom Brady - arguably the greatest QB ever.

4. Larry Bird

5. Bill Russell - 11 NBA titles.

The reason I put Orr number 2 is because he's possibly the greatest player of his sport ever. Bird and Russell are not the greatest NBA players and Brady might be one day.

Last edited:
I'd have to say Ted Williams is #1.

Who do you guys think in order are the best boston sports legends ever? I'm talking just the players, not owners or coaches. For me it's:

1. edit: Ted Williams

2. Bobby Orr - arguably the greatest NHL player ever.

3. Tom Brady - arguably the greatest QB ever.

4. Larry Bird

5. Bill Russell - 11 NBA titles.

The reason I put Orr number 2 is because he's possibly the greatest player of his sport ever. Bird and Russell are not the greatest NBA players and Brady might be one day.

wierd thing about football....if ur the best QB ever, it automatically means ur the best player ever....

the only other posistion that might be considered best player ever over the QB is HB...but thats not likely either

How many more titles would Russell have to win to move up?

Bobby Orr #1 without doubt. He revolutionized the game of hockey and till this day is the only man in Boston who can Walk on water.

How many more titles would Russell have to win to move up?

i'll be the first to admit that i don't know much about basketball or the celtics. :) Ted Williams is perhaps the greatest hitter ever. Bobby Orr is arguably the best ever in his sport. Russell is one of the top players in the NBA history but he's not the best. I thought based on how Williams and Orr rank respectively in their sport that they should be in the top 2. I didn't want to put Russell 3rd because this is a pats board and there are a lot of homers here who would want Brady there. And i always thought Bird was better than Russell, at least according to some lists.

Last edited:
What is the criteria for greatest sports legend? Best player? Popularity? Brought the most championships to Boston? Impact on the team? Impact on the sport? I find this to be subjective poll.

It is unfair to judge Brady at this point no matter what because his career is not over. Brady is still in his prime and another season or two like the one he had in 2007 along with a Super Bowl or two and he will probably be the undisputed greatest QB ever. He has already brought more championships to Boston than Orr or Williams and the same amount as Bird. Granted he will never match Russell's total. He is as popular as Bird, Orr, or Russell when they played and far more popular than Williams (who had a love hate relationship with the fans).

I think it is too early to do a poll like this with Brady. I think he could be #1 when everything is said and done, but he is at a disadvantage since he probably has 5-8 more years left in his career and is being judged against players who's careers are long over.

i'll be the first to admit that i don't know much about basketball or the celtics. :) Ted Williams is perhaps the greatest hitter ever. Bobby Orr is arguably the best ever in his sport. Russell is one of the top players in the NBA history but he's not the best. I thought based on how Williams and Orr rank respectively in their sport that they should be in the top 2. I didn't want to put Russell 3rd because this is a pats board and there are a lot of homers here who would want Brady there. And i always thought Bird was better than Russell, at least according to some lists.

What list ranks Bird ahead of Russell?

I think it is too early to do a poll like this with Brady. I think he could be #1 when everything is said and done, but he is at a disadvantage since he probably has 5-8 more years left in his career and is being judged against players who's careers are long over.

i agree brady will probably be 1 once he retires.

As great as Williams was, he's not #1. He was not a complete ballplayer. He was arguably the greatest hitter if you want to just look at offense. You could make a lot of comparisons between Manny and Ted as they were both great hitters, but both were really flaky. Don't forget, Williams was booed an awful lot here in Boston to be considered the greatest.
I stopped watching hockey when Orr retired. Has anyone ever even tried to kill a penalty like Orr?
Regardless of the source, people tend to downgrade the accomplishments and athleticism of players from past eras. As great as Bird was, he is second to Russell. Before anyone starts in with a "yea but" about sports from the 60's, I'll throw you this little tidbit. The Celtics of the early 60's would annihilate this years Lakers.
Brady is awesome. As amazing as he's been he will have to win more titles to move up on the list of Boston Sports Legends.
1. Orr
2. Russell
3. Williams
4. Brady

What is the criteria for greatest sports legend? Best player? Popularity? Brought the most championships to Boston? Impact on the team? Impact on the sport? I find this to be subjective poll.
Very well said; I was starting to consider the original question, and you just put my thoughts together perfectly.

Personally, I could put together a good case for any one of the nominees. The problem with picking one is that it would be a disservice to each of the others for leaving them out. It would be like asking a father to pick which one of his twin daughters was his favorite.

I would rate in this order:

1. Russell
2. Williams
3. Brady
4. Bird
5. Orr

I would rate in this order:

1. Brady
2. Russell
3. Williams
4. Bird
5. Orr
6. Switzer

1. Russell
2. Williams
3. Brady
4. Bird
5. Orr

Last edited:
If we're talking legendary, I'd like to put a vote in for Yaz. Ted Williams was one of the greatest hitters of all time, but in the clutch he could not hold a candle to Yastrzemski.

Needing to win both games against Minnesota, he goes 7 for 8. (875)

World series average (14 games).352. 3 hr 9 RBI (19 hits).
Playoff avg. 455 1 HR 2 RBI.

It has been mentioned how he popped up to finish the Bucky Dent playoff, yet he still went 2-5 (.400) with 2 RBI and scored 2.

18 All Star appearances. Not the most talented, but a legend, if a lesser one, to me.

I saw Bill Russell in his day. How this dominate player who changed the play strategy in the NBA and was a reliable Championship machine without parallel isn't #1 on all such lists mystifies me.

11 championships, and he won as both a player and player/coach.
Not a HUGE hockey guy, but can't really argue with Orr.
WAR BRADY

All-time "I'm too cool" rankings :

*Oil Can Boyd
*Asante Samuel
*Roger Clemens
*J. Thornton
*Rick Pitino

1) Bill Russell, greatest winner in the history of NAmerica team sports. No one else is even close as a competitor or winner.

2) Bobby Orr, changed how and what a Defensive player could do in his sport.

3) T Williams , greatest hitter in the history of his sport (figure his stats if he didn't lose 5+ years in his prime fighting WW2 and in Korea).

4) T Brady, has to potential to maybe be a co #1 depending on how the rest of his career unfolds. Another 2-3 SB would ranks him with Russell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes