3. Vince
4. Jones
5. Ridley
6. Spikes
7. Mayo
8. Lloyd
9. Gronk
10. Ninko

1. Chandler Jones. Easily our best draft pick in the last decade or so. Debatable with Wilfork and Mayo. Constant pressure even while being held like a baby is amazing. Should put up 10+ sacks at the end of the year and be an easy lock for DROY.

2. Scarnecchia/Solder. Without the amazing effort of the OLine there's no way we're even 3-3. Nate's been a beast on the line this season, and he gets better every week, which is more than you can say for some of our players...

3. Spikes. The energy he brings to the defense is infectious, and he lays the wood like no one in this league. If he had been around in the days where you were actually allowed to hit people, he'd be the best LB in the league. Tied for #1 in the league in FF (with two of his teammates no less) and his ability to hit the hole hard and fast is invaluable.

4. Welker. I'm his biggest fan, so it's hard to rank him this low. He's got 48 catches on 51 targets. He's caught 94% of what's thrown to him. If that doesn't impress you then your name is Bill Belichick. I'm willing to bet that the kind of completion percentage he's banking on right now is an NFL record. This guy should be in the HOF when everything is said and done.

5. TFB. Welker wouldn't be on this list if it wasn't for him. Easy MVP candidate, if not favourite. Sure, he goes on cold streaks sometimes, but can you really expect perfection? Yes. Because this guy is as close as it gets.

Honorable Mention: Big Vince, Stevan Ridley/Brandon Bolden

Last edited:
4. Welker. He's got 48 catches on 51 targets.

That is one of the most amazing stats I've seen. Says a lot about:

- His catching ability
- His ability to get open
- The offense's play calling and execution to help him get open
- Brady's ability to get him the ball

Regards,
Chris

That is one of the most amazing stats I've seen. Says a lot about:

- His catching ability
- His ability to get open
- The offense's play calling and execution to help him get open
- Brady's ability to get him the ball

Regards,
Chris

what happens to all his amazing abilities when the team needs him?

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned Wendell. It was a worry going into the season but he's played pretty well.

1. Brady
2. Wilfork
3. Spikes
4. Welker
5. Jones

1. Chandler Jones

No Andre Carter, no Mark Anderson. Jones was counted on to step in immediately and provide a pass rush and *hopefully* set the edge against the run despite going up against tackles 35+ pounds bigger than him. That he has done all of this is amazing and should not be taken for granted. The guy is always around the ball or making life miserable for the tackle assigned to block him, even when he's not showing up on the score sheet. Pats hit one out of the park with this pick.

2. Tom Brady

Puts up 30 on the Ravens in Baltimore. Puts up 500yds offense and 24 points on the Seahawks in Seattle. Runs the hurry-up offense like the league has never seen. One play made differently in their 3 losses, on either side of the ball, is the difference between 3-3 and 6-0. But because he has the most control on the "one play" that could be made by the offense, he's the one taking the most heat. Could he have made that one more play? Of course. When he doesn't, it just reminds us he's not perfect. Hint: He never was. He's damn close, though.

3. Big Vince

It's amazing he's been as durable as he is, considering the constant abuse a NT/DT faces (knock on wood). He's been the reliable anchor to an otherwise shaky defense the last few years. His stellar play has continued this year. He's the first guy that comes to mind when I think along the lines, "You think the D struggles now? Imagine what would happen if [D player] goes down!"

4. Jermaine Cunningham

His transformation to pass-rushing DT is unbelievable. Like Jones, even on the plays he's not on the score sheet he's causing havoc with the guard trying to block him.

5. Wes Welker

Guy continues to be a pass-catching, getting-open machine. That he has done so all these years at his size, taking serious pops over the middle, is truly incredible.

Honorable mentions: Gronk, Ridley, Bolden, Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, Ninko

Regards,
Chris

Ditto! :lol2: Edit: Every coach, player and fan should kiss the turf that Welker walks on!

Last edited:
What happened to him when the pats needed to get in field goal range against the seahawks?

Are you talking about the final drive? I don't know. What did happen to him? Double covered? Open, but Brady got sacked? I have access to the All-22 so I'll take a look.

not to mention wes is not a red zone threat at all

We know Wes doesn't rack up TDs, but does that therefore mean he's "not a red zone threat at all"? I've seen countless times where Wes is the guy who gets the ball down inside the 5, only to watch BJGE/Ridley/Bolden get the TD run or Gronk/Hernandez get the short TD pass.

I guess I'm just not clear on your critiques.

Regards,
Chris

That still doesn't negate the fact welker tends to disappear when the patriots need him the most.

1. Chandler Jones
2. Wes Welker
3. Stevan Ridley
4. Tom Brady
5. Vince Wilfork

That still doesn't negate the fact welker tends to disappear when the patriots need him the most.

Define "disappear". Are you talking about late-game situations? Maybe after getting torn up all game by the guy, the other team is double-teaming him with a minute to go, daring Brady to go elsewhere. It's not like the Pats are going to shotgun handoff to Woodhead in those situations, so the D will clearly be playing pass. I think any halfway competent D coordinator will double Welker in those situations.

Unless you can for certain tell how he's being defended in these "disappearing acts", I don't think you can make a firm conclusion like you have.

Regards,
Chris

Define "disappear". Are you talking about late-game situations? Maybe after getting torn up all game by the guy, the other team is double-teaming him with a minute to go, daring Brady to go elsewhere. It's not like the Pats are going to shotgun handoff to Woodhead in those situations, so the D will clearly be playing pass. I think any halfway competent D coordinator will double Welker in those situations.

Unless you can for certain tell how he's being defended in these "disappearing acts", I don't think you can make a firm conclusion like you have.

Regards,
Chris

welker is pretty much useless when the patriots are down. Welker simply vanishes when the pats need to score in the 4th quarter.

welker is pretty much useless when the patriots are down. Welker simply vanishes when the pats need to score in the 4th quarter.
Okay, this is good. I'm finally going to put that All-22 access I have to good use. I'm going to do the best job I can to see *why* he vanishes.

I suspect it's because teams double him in such situations, daring Brady to go to Branch (see SB46) or the 1st down bomb to Lloyd this past weekend. Still, I'll try to put aside this bias when evaluating the plays.

Regards,
Chris

Fixed it for you, not sure why people are so obsessed with gaudy stats. I'll take the old school Patriots over Welker tearing up the scoreboard against crap teams. Awesome, he had a 1500 yard receiving season only to get held to less than 60 in his three playoff games. PASS!

Only 2 people on your list have rings, besides this is about this seasons performance.

Oh well, to each their own:cool:

Welker
Brady
Jones
Ridley
Tie between mayo and spikes

welker tends to disappear when the patriots need him the most.

Like having 53 yards receiving in the 4th quarters of the Arizona and Baltimore games?

If we are behind in the 4th, or any time for that matter, he is the primary target and the most efficient and successful receiver. Period

Last edited:
Like having 53 yards receiving in the 4th quarters of the Arizona and Baltimore games?

If we are behind in the 4th, or any time for that matter, he is the primary target and the most efficient and successful receiver. Period

wow?!?! 53 yards is truly amazing....it's too bad he couldn't get into endzone.

I'm judging welker like people do the other BEST* wide receivers in the league.

If larry, andre, and calvin did the same people would crush them. Welker would be useless If the patriots were down 7 with 1:50 to go........Like the superbowl proved.

Welker has only 2 receiving touchdowns....hernandez in 2 and half games equals him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back