PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rank your favorite WR's

I either want guys who can really stretch the field with speed or a big bodied receiver who works the outside. For that reason, I don't like Robert Woods as he seems to do his best work in the slot and doesn't seem to be fast enough at his size. I'm going to ignore off field aspects as, frankly I don't know enough about them, and I'll leave the Patriots to decide what is and isn't an issue.

1. Markus Wheaton - would fit the offense perfectly in a sort of Deion Branch role but with greater long speed.
2. Da'rick Rogers - an absolute beast and fearless across the middle/going up for the ball. could be our Julio Jones. Really like his play
3. DeAndre Hopkins - similar to above but not quite as athletic.
4. Justin Hunter - his measurables make me intrigued but concerned by his drops.

Like Stedman Bailey, Terrance Williams too.

The X factor, who no one is mentioning is Marquise Goodwin - we havent had any contact but he has game changing speed. If we lose Jeff Demps, he could be an option for some special packages and on STs, while we work him into a more polished receiver.

My favorites in order

1) Tavon Austin
2) Cordarrelle Patterson
3) Justin Hunter
4) Da'Rick Rogers
5) Aaron Dobson

Someone on this board (I believe it was manxman) has me warming up to DeAndre Hopkins now that I'm looking at him as more of an Anquan Boldin type WR. I still think a guy like Robert Woods is more cerebral though and would be a better fit in our offense.

1. Robert Woods
2. DeAndre Hopkins
3. Markus Wheaton

I'd like to add Aaron Dobson to my list. Mostly as a 3rd rounder, big body WR project I think.

The X factor, who no one is mentioning is Marquise Goodwin - we havent had any contact but he has game changing speed. If we lose Jeff Demps, he could be an option for some special packages and on STs, while we work him into a more polished receiver.

Yup; where's the love for Goodwin? If Al Davis was still alive he would not let a 4.27 guy escape the first round but I suspect Goodwin will go in the second or third; there is more to being a WR than straight speed of course and he did not get a lot of passes. However he has some versatility; I watched the tape and he is an outstanding cutback runner. He would be a scary deep threat and return guy also. A great pickup in the third or fouth if he makes it that far.

Yup; where's the love for Goodwin? If Al Davis was still alive he would not let a 4.27 guy escape the first round but I suspect Goodwin will go in the second or third; there is more to being a WR than straight speed of course and he did not get a lot of passes. However he has some versatility; I watched the tape and he is an outstanding cutback runner. He would be a scary deep threat and return guy also. A great pickup in the third or fouth if he makes it that far.

I might be a long lost Al Davis relative, because speed always catches my eye as well. I'd love to see the Pats go for Goodwin (late round, no higher than 5 th). I'm a huge Tavov Austin fan, he'd help the Pats in so many ways (explosiveness as a receiver and return man). We really don't have any explosively fast guys on the roster, I don't count Demps because in my mind, he's as good as gone.

There has been a lot of good talk about the WR's in this years draft, and I thought it might be nice to get a thread going where people can rank their favorite WR's and what round you think they will/should go.

I am going to omit from mine Patterson and Austin because I just don't believe the Patriots have a chance to get them.

1. Keenan Allen (late 1st)

2. DeAndre Hopkins (late 1st, early 2nd)

3. Quinton Patton ( second, probably have to trade up)

4. Markus Wheaton (2nd)

5. Stedman Bailey (3rd)

6. Da'Rick Rodgers (3rd/4th)

7. Aaron Dobson (4th)

Justin Hunter
DeAndre Hopkins
Da'Rick Rodgers
Ryan Swope
Marcus Wheaton
Quinton Patton
Kenny Stills
Aaron Dobson

This is not including the ones likely to go early in round one.

I watched some Kenny Stills videos and he has a nice combination of speed and hands. He seems to have a nose for the endzone and is able make the nice grab on the edge. His DUI might push him down into a lower round where the Patriots could grab him (I am SURE the Patriots will be picking more than one WR). He did not seem to blow by CBs inspite of his Combine 40.

1. Da'Rick Rogers
2. DeAndre Hopkins
3. Tavon Austin
4. Quinton Patton
5. Robert Woods
6. Justin Hunter
7. Keenan Allen
8. Coradelle Patterson

I watched some Kenny Stills videos and he has a nice combination of speed and hands. He seems to have a nose for the endzone and is able make the nice grab on the edge. His DUI might push him down into a lower round where the Patriots could grab him (I am SURE the Patriots will be picking more than one WR). He did not seem to blow by CBs inspite of his Combine 40.
I like Stills. Watch the video of him on the NFL Network where he answers some questions. Seems to have a level head (not making fun of his haircut). A very well spoken young man who doesn't hide from his mistakes, and is honest enough to discuss his weaknesses (on and off the field). Came away from the interview liking the guy, seems very mature.

Right now, the 3 guys I particularly like are Kenny Stills, Stedman Bailey, and Chris Harper. They might not have the flashiest upside but IMO all three are undervalued right now relative to Dobson, Rogers, Hunter, Williams, Woods, etc. They stand out to me as guys who understand how to get open, catch the football, run routes, etc. in addition to having the physical ability to be effective NFL wideouts.

They can all be produce in our system, and do it soon. I do hope we get one.

I'm just catching up on draft stuff after an insanely busy work stretch; this site is always my go to for real info and insight.

ANyway, just read Greg Cosell's mock. He has the Pats taking Cordarrelle Patterson. Things is, a lot of his description of the guy sounds like exactly the type of receiver who has failed here time and again:

He’s a multi-dimensional weapon that can align anywhere in the formation, including the backfield, which he did at Tennessee. He is dynamic with the ball in his hands: shifty, elusive and explosive. He has open field movement ability that you cannot teach. And remember, he’s 6-foot-2 and 216 pounds. My guess is Bill Belichick will figure out a way to utilize him effectively. But don’t lose sight of the fact that Patterson has much work to do as receiver. At this point, he is not as quick and explosive as a route runner as he is with the ball in his hands. He’s more measured and methodical. He has little sense of the pace and tempo of route running, and how to set up and beat corners. But he has the athletic traits you look for; in addition, he showed good hands, and a willingness to make tough catches in the middle of the field.

My two questions: Is this an accurate assessment of Patterson? And am I right that the parts I bolded are important to the Pats, so his weaknesses make him less likely to be good here? Seems to me the Pats need guys whose "football smarts" are instinctive and allow them to process things quickly — not just great athletes.

I'm just catching up on draft stuff after an insanely busy work stretch; this site is always my go to for real info and insight.

ANyway, just read Greg Cosell's mock. He has the Pats taking Cordarrelle Patterson. Things is, a lot of his description of the guy sounds like exactly the type of receiver who has failed here time and again:

My two questions: Is this an accurate assessment of Patterson? And am I right that the parts I bolded are important to the Pats, so his weaknesses make him less likely to be good here? Seems to me the Pats need guys whose "football smarts" are instinctive and allow them to process things quickly — not just great athletes.

Yes, that's pretty accurate. Bear in mind that Cossell isn't trying to predict what will happen on Thursday, he's using the mock to slot players so that he can discuss them.

I don't think Patterson can come in and earn Brady's trust as a typical WR running routes, reading defenses in-play as will be expected. However, I think most rookie WR's will also struggle. Having said that, I do think there is a case that Patterson can be the most productive of any rookie WR in that he can do so much more. He can be productive in the return game, on screens, reverses and other gadget plays as well as going deep. I'm not overly keen on drafting Patterson, but if they do, I think early production will be the reason.

My favourites, in terms of who could come in an make an immediate impact

1) Robert Woods
2) Tavon Auston
3) DeAndre Hopkins
4) Keenan Allen
5) Justin Hunter
6) Markus Wheaton
7) Quinton Patton
8) Cordarelle Patterson

Which WRs are smart enough to learn the system?

If Keenan Allen falls to the mid 2nd, is he the pick? He looks faster than 4.7 in his game film, I think anyway. I like the idea of a guy who can catch in traffic and always wins the 50/50 balls.

Which WRs are smart enough to learn the system?

If Keenan Allen falls to the mid 2nd, is he the pick? He looks faster than 4.7 in his game film, I think anyway. I like the idea of a guy who can catch in traffic and always wins the 50/50 balls.

Nick Caserio spoke very highly of the Jeff Tedford program at Cal.

I ink either patterson or hunter will be around at 29. i see austin, hopkins and allen as gone. Thr pats have to compete with minn, gb and houston, allof whom need WRs.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back