Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Where will the Pats rank in Pass Rush stats at the end of the regular season?

• Will be ranked 1-5

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Will be ranked 6-10

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Will be ranked 11-15

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Will be ranked 16-20

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Will be ranked 21-25

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Will be ranked 26-32

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • They would be 33rd if there were 33 teams

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I want to see how bad Patsfans members feel about our pass rush possibilities this season.

If you could look ahead,where do you think the Pats will rank around the league in pash rush to the QB when the regular season ends?

We would probably rank 27th in pass rush.

I'll say 1st. And Maroney gains 2,000 yards.

I go from 6-10, not because our OLB's are kickass, but because we have significantly upgraded our secondary and our MLB's... this is a team sport.

I go from 6-10, not because our OLB's are kickass, but because we have significantly upgraded our secondary and our MLB's... this is a team sport.

You mean you "hope" they significantly upgraded the secondary. They signed Bodden - good. You "hope" Butler improved, you "hope" McCourty is more than a Special Teams guy, you "hope" Chung is much improved, etc.....there is no "significant" upgrade there that is tangible...yet. And, no offense, but do you see the secondary improving so much that you can give an opposing QB all day to find an open receiver...c'mon now. I see some safety blitzes in the future but I do not see a top ten as you predict. No way. WE NEED A PASS RUSH BAD.

I'll go w/ 16-20, a bit below average. If we can get a competent Seymour replacement out there, it could be better. People seem to forget that, even when our pass rush was good, it didn't really come from the SOLB (Vrabel). He had excellent years in 2003 (9.5) and 2007 (12.5, because teams were always playing from behind), but other than that he was about a 5-sack-a-year guy, who was out there more for his versatility than anything. Worst comes to worst, Pierre Woods has shown he can roughly approximate that kind of production over short bursts, and I'm willing to bet that Cunningham will surpass him sooner rather than later.

We already have a WOLB in TBC, so as I see it our pass rush suffers more from the lack of a Seymour-type presence than the lack of a SOLB. Who can get after the quarterback on this defensive line? Damione Lewis? Wright a little bit? Definitely nobody anywhere near Seymour's caliber. We need the line to step up, and if any of the inside guys could start developing some Bruschi-style pass rush skills, that could be huge too.

Last edited:
With Seymour gone, they get hardly any push from the D-line. Their inside backers haven't been able to blitz up the middle effectively and it it's rare to see them blow up plays at the line of scrimmage. Banta-Cain is the only player on the outside that could actually make a play.

I'd rank them in the lower half of the league. 26-32

With Seymour gone, they get hardly any push from the D-line. Their inside backers haven't been able to blitz up the middle effectively and it it's rare to see them blow up plays at the line of scrimmage. Banta-Cain is the only player on the outside that could actually make a play.

I'd rank them in the lower half of the league. 26-32

What really is quite alarming is that Banta Cain was our top sack man last year with 10, yet all of those were against scrub teams IIRC and he went without a sack in 10 games of the 16 so he had a couple of good games with the rush and non existent in the others

Someone better pick up the slack or we will be giving up 30 points a game average.

What really is quite alarming is that Banta Cain was our top sack man last year with 10, yet all of those were against scrub teams IIRC and he went without a sack in 10 games of the 16 so he had a couple of good games with the rush and non existent in the others

Someone better pick up the slack or we will be giving up 30 points a game average.

Yes and no.

Yes: 5 came against the Bills.
No: 2 came against the Jets.

I voted 6-10, and Im being extremely hopeful with that.

The only reason I didn't vote for 33rd is because there must be some team, somewhere, with a worse set of pass-rushers than ours.

For the life of me, though, I can't think of who that team would be.

The only reason I didn't vote for 33rd is because there must be some team, somewhere, with a worse set of pass-rushers than ours.

For the life of me, though, I can't think of who that team would be.

Miami Dolphins, they're only legit "pass rusher" is Cameron Wake who at this point in time, has not shown he can even play three downs. All of his stats are from situational pass rushing. Koa Misi will be a good OLB but he's not a pass rush threat, he's never had more than 5.5 sacks in a weak conference. Plus their defensive line is looking awful, which won't help at all. They are relying on Jets DE that was a stop gap, rotational player and Odrick who probably isn't even ready to play.

Last edited:
Fair points, though both Wake & Misi are better than any of our OLBs.

Fair points, though both Wake & Misi are better than any of our OLBs.

Like I said, not really. Wake has decent stats because he was only really used in pass rushing situations. He's a huge downgrade from both Porter and JT, and will probably never make it as a three downs player. Misi is a rookie so I don't know how he's better than anyone considering he hasn't done anything. Even if he develops well or catches on quickly he has shown absolutely nothing to be considered a threat like Miami's previous linebackers. If he could only get 5.5 sacks max in a year playing in the MWC, there's no reason to believe he'll ever get more than that.

Last edited:
Im much more concerned with pass defense stats than sack stats.
48 sacks, 3 a game would be near the top.
But we will defend 500 passes this season.
I would rank the importance of pass D/pass rush stats something like this:

1) Avg yds per pass (most important because it takes into account both comp percentage and the length of the throw.)
2) Ints
3) 3rd down %
4) Completion %
5) Sacks.

TDs arent included because whether they are thrown in or run in is kind of irrelevant so the number could b very misleading in either direction

Last edited by a moderator:
The Celtics, Bruins or Red Sox could field a better pass rush unit.........

It looks grim Pats Fans............. Just sayin'

Last edited:
The Patriots were 22nd in sacks/attempt and 23rd in sacks last season. However, they were only 4 sacks out of 13th. I think we'll get 4 sacks more than last season, so I voted 11-15, a range that last year would have been 35-37 sacks, an increase of 4-6 over last year.

The best defenses and the best teams were not among the leaders in sacks. Games are won when points scored are higher than points given up.

The Patriots were 22nd in sacks/attempt and 23rd in sacks last season. However, they were only 4 sacks out of 13th. I think we'll get 4 sacks more than last season, so I voted 11-15, a range that last year would have been 35-37 sacks, an increase of 4-6 over last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes