Welcome to PatsFans.com

Rank the Receivers in the AFC East

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by zippo59, Mar 28, 2007.

1. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

At this point:

Lavernius Coles
    Lee Evans
    Chris Chambers
    Donte' Stallworth
    Jericho Cotchery

But things could change.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Seems fair to me.
  3. frankiesfly

frankiesfly Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree but i would just move Chambers down to the bottom. He does make some nice catches but if you didnt notice he drops the easy ones.
  4. notex

notex Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

id put stallworth over chambers...no paticular reason i just like him better. maybe its just cuz hes a pat now. I'll tell you though, i really like Cotchery...

How about the AFC how would people rank the receivers...my list would start with "ocho cinco"
  5. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +61 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

I like the rankings. I could go either way with Chambers and Stallworth. We all know what Chambers is capable of, if he has a season like he did last year I will rank him right out of the top 10.
  6. merlindegr8

merlindegr8 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know you didn't ask what you think the rankings WILL be, However, I have this feeling that Welker is going to be the biggest surprise in the East this year. I think we will be putting his name there next year.
  7. notex

notex Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

welker isnt talented like the rest of these guys, not trying to talk down on him, but hes an over acheiver....i think he can be very productive but he simply doesnt have the physical gifts of coles or lee evans...cotchery or stallworth...
  8. NE_Paddy

NE_Paddy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd have Lee Evans ahead of Coles.

In fact, I'd have Lee Evans ahead of all but maybe 2 or 3 wideouts in the league.
  9. newton_tom_cat

newton_tom_cat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

easily evans @ #1 over coles. i have a lot of respect for coles, but he's not the breakaway deep threat evans is. back to back 83 yard TD receptions in the first qtr last year against texans says it all. texans DBs said evans was the fastest theyd faced all year, and this is after playing the colts and cowboys, who supposedly had the best WRs in the league.

compared to evans, coles is a possession guy.
  10. MrTibbs

MrTibbs Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lee Evans shoould be #1 but by midseason I wouldn't be surprised to see Stallworth looking the best of the entire bunch with Brady playing catch with him.
  11. Jimke

Jimke Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

The most important thing is that the Pats' receiving corps is now

a strong point of the team and not a weak point.
  12. Fantasic4x50x54x59x55

Fantasic4x50x54x59x55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You have to be kidding....Jerry Rice was the fastest, biggest of em all right? :rolleyes:.. Talent isnt measured by how high a guy can jump, it isn't long arms, it isnt blazing 40 times, it isnt height...its heart/determination/preperation and catching the damn ball and making plays, something welker PROVE he can do, and do well. I agree that welker WILL be one of the BEST off season acquisitions/AFC East Receivers come next season...lol If physical gifts made a receiver and talent, David Terrell, Donald Hayes, and Bethel Johnson would still be with us.
  13. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -1

looks good for March. depending on how he clicks with Brady, Stallworth could be at the top of that list or not on it at all by January.
  14. Kasmir

Kasmir Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Based on last year's performance:

(1) Lee Evans -- by far the best receiver in the AFC east
    (2) Jerricho Cotchery -- better than Coles last year
    (3) Marty Booker -- better than Welker, much better than Chambers
    (4) Reche Caldwell -- scoff if you will
    (5) Donte Stallworth -- Brady will make him move up this list

Lee Evans is great, especially considering the mediocre quarterbacking he's worked with.

Coles wasn't as productive as a guy with 150 attempts should be.

Chambers was awful last year.

Welker was nothing special last year, but I expect him to thrive with Brady and surpass Caldwell and possibly Stallworth.

Both Kelley Washington and Chad Jackson flashed upside in their very limited opportunities.
  15. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I would take Coles over Evans any day of the week.
  16. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

I'm cool with that except for Chambers. I'd drop him down.

Another interesting Q would be how you'd rank the wide receiving units in the AFCE. For me, that would depend heavily on how healthy Chad Jackson will be, and what Kelley Washington will bring. Stallworth, Welker and Caldwell are the sure things, IMO, but CJ and Washington are the wild cards that could really elevate the group.
  17. notex

notex Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

exactly...thats why hes done so well....but not well enough to be called one of the top receivers in the game.......trust me i understand the concept of hard work, i happen to have been that undersized,underrated athelete my whole life. But still, Welker is a GREAT receiver, and he may put up huge #'s this year. I simply dont think he is one of the TOP 5 best. If we were talking best value, harderst worker, overacheiver, determination, or heart then yeah your right...**** he might even put up great #'s, if he is the best in the east this year then that means stallworth,evans, cotchery, chambers are the laziest excuses for receivers ive ever seen.
  18. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

How are we supposedly ranking the players here?

By number of catches?

By yards per catch?

By most significant contribution to the offense?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Welker catch more passes than Stallworth... same with Watson... of even Caldwell for that matter as I'd expect Caldwell to catch a lot of very short passes, and mix in a longer one here and there.

If Stallworth averages 3 catches a game with an 18 ypc average he will be providing a monumental contribution that will make all the players around him better.

Caldwell caught more passes than Stallworth this season - does that mean he's better than Stallworth? I don't think so.
  19. He Ban Me

He Ban Me Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Of course :cool:
  20. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

What about by overall unit?

If someone has time I would love to see the same thing across the entire NFL.

Patriots - Donte' Stallworth, Reche Caldwell, Wes Welker, Jabar Gaffney, Kelley Washington, Chad Jackson, Kelvin Kight, Bam Childress
    NY Jets - Laveranues Coles, Jerricho Cotchery, Tim Dwight, Frisman Jackson, Justin McCareins, Brad Smith, Wallace Wright
    Bills - Sam Aiken, Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, Peerless Price, Josh Reed, George Wilson
    Miami - Marty Booker, Chris Chambers, Derek Hagan, Az-Zahir Hakim, P.K. Sam, Marcus Vick

Just looking at the lists and not knowing the other rosters as well as the Pats I would rate them as:
    Pats\Jets - B
    Miami - B-
    Bills - B-