PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rank the Networks on Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fox has a hard on for the Giants.. they've shown Giants game the last few weeks. NFC homers.

Yea,now with Vick in the NFCE it's like watching the Micheal Jackson network....without the pedophilia....or dog-killin'...err....you hnow what I mean:eek:

I like CBS, but it annoys me how often they cut away from the game to show something and then go back in the middle of a given play. So annoying.

I hate Fox just because of the robots. Whomever thought that would be good gimmick ought to be fired. So dumb and pointless.

Speaking of NFLN, I just arrived in west FL last week to find out that cable TV provider Brighthouse does not carry the NFL network. WTF!?!

1. CBS - best image, best announcers
2. NBC
3. ESPN
4. FOX (I like Aikman but the image is absolutely awful.
5. NFLN

NFLN - Theisman/Millen, nuff said

No opinion on all the others. Someone said they didn't like the Song on NBC, hope you didn't mean the singer, if you did their is something wrong with you.

1. ESPN(Gruden is awesome)
2. NBC
3. CBS
4. Fox
5. NFL Network(their announcers suck and they need a more catchy theme).

I get this same problem. it's very irritating to watch a game when you can't see half of the scoreboard, how many timeouts are left, etc. I tend to assume it's an issue regarding their support for wide screen and normal format TV's as I lack the wide screen. Not sure if this is the case though.

I've had the problem on both a 40-something inch widescreen (although the channel was standard definition), and a normal "box" TV.

NFLN - Theisman/Millen, nuff said

No opinion on all the others. Someone said they didn't like the Song on NBC, hope you didn't mean the singer, if you did their is something wrong with you.

I meant the music itself is annoying. I think I'll mute the TV tomorrow night when that comes on :rocker:

I've had the problem on both a 40-something inch widescreen (although the channel was standard definition), and a normal "box" TV.
Must be the standard definition then. Because I don't have High-Def either and my uncle, who does, told me he's had no problems with Fox when he watches games in HD.

Still pretty bad that they can't format for everyone like the other stations do. :p

I watch CBS ,(the Pats play on this channel the most,duh...)find them decent,also watch their pre-game show,dont watch Fox that much for same reason.Used to watch ESPN'S pre game show on a regular basis,but got tired of the anti-Pats bias ,havent watched it since.Also like the NFLN pregame show(I DVR the CBS pre-game).I agree with some of the other posters that NFLN cant do a play by play to save their lives.I do like some of their analysis (Mike May**** and Sterling Sharpe are good).Nbc sunday night pre-game is good now that Olberman is gone and Harrison and Dungy are a bigger part of the show. Jaws ,Gruden and Terico are good on MNF,for me at least.

I don't get access to the pre game stuff, but can't stand Fox purely for that Frickin dancin' robot. (And Joe Buck). Oh and Mike Mayock is my favourite analyst, but like i said i don't get to see much of the pre game stuff.

I really enjoy the NBC broadcast for Sunday Night Football. Probably the most entertaining including the pregame.

On the other hand....NFL Network is a joke. I cannot stand listening to those buffoons.

CBS is #1 by default. However, I don't like Jim Nantz. He needs to go back to the studio or stay with golf. Gumbel and Simms were a better team.

ESPN comes in second. I like the enthusiasm of the announcers but they tend to become homers of whatever team is playing.

Example: In the beginning of the Pats-Jets game, they talked about how the Pats were the worst defense in the NFL and in Patriots history. Then all of he sudden Gruden says, "this Patriots defense is awesome!"

NBC comes in third. I can't stand their theme song that started with Pink and now it's even worse with Faith Hill. Nothing against the singers, but the theme song is so damn cheesy.

Also, Al Michaels tends to ramble about random stuff if there is a lead by at least 10 points.

And does anybody notice that Michaels sounds like Howard Stern?

FOX comes in 4th but they were #1 when Madden and Summerall were together.

I think everyone can agree that the dancing robot is annoying and is even more annoying when the Burger King guy starts dancing on the screen.

Joe Buck is a good announcer - for baseball. Also, if you watch a lot Cowboys games, Aiken and Buck seem to love it when the Cowboys are losing.

NFLN just flat out sucks. Enough said.

Last edited:
OT, sort of. One of the few years without the dish. So, I get to watch what the network gives me for games (Chicago). So, game time and I turn to my first choice.............WTF? Are you telling me more people want to watch (or they make more money) people sell a juicer then a football game? It's Sunday, and only one game is on (Da Bears) and a paid infomercial. I really don't get it.

1. NBC
Pros - The Harrison/Dungy thing is finally starting to work. It was like nails on a chalkboard last year, but they're a lot more polished this go around. The HD quality is the best of the networks, and there isn't a lot of hyperbole coming out of Harrison and Dungy. I actually like Al Michaels and don't subscribe to the Collinsworth hate.

Cons - Stupid, stupid intro song. The think the SNL skit nailed it: nothing like a woman singing in a field to get you ready for some football. :rolleyes: Those weird "tiny football league" things they do at halftime seem pretty pointless.

2. CBS
Pros - Patriots games. Better picture quality than before (I agree whoever commented on the poor quality before). I like Phil Simms, and though it probably won't happen for a few years, the possibility of getting Gus Johnson is cool.

Cons - The pregame show has Cowher and Marino. It's a pretty flat show in my opinion. I put in last place behind NFLN and Fox, which is saying something.

3a. Fox
Pros - HD quality is decent but now surpassed by CBS.

Cons - Frank Caliendo's segment is horrible; probably the worst segment across all the networks. The much maligned robots irritate me as well, and I'm no Joe Buck fan. The team selection isn't great, but it's the NFC, so eh.

3b. ESPN
Pros - The MNF classic theme (not the stupid Hank Williams thing) and even though it was a couple years ago now, I'll put their dismissal of Kornheiser as a plus.

Cons - Gruden and Jaws need to learn to be critical and/or consistent. It's almost silly listening to them sometimes. What kills me is that I think both are capable of some great insight, and they even occasionally provide it. Maddening. The aforementioned Hank Williams bit is....it sucks.

4. NFLN
Pros - Pregame, halftime, and GameDay Final are decent shows. Some of the other programming on the NFLN is good too. (Sidenote: Bob Sander is and Welker is not among the Top 10 short players and the 2007 Pats WRs not among the Top 10 but the 1980s Redskins are....headscratchers)

Cons - Poor production during the game, and so-so HD quality. They're getting better and might become 3c next year.

Last edited:
#1 CBS not a lot of characters no anchors with big egos just good clean football no one gets in the way

#2 ESPN Adam Schefter, is the best at brakeing news and Chris Berman and Tom Jackson are the best pre and postgame anchors around

#3 NBC just good football

#4 FOX good mix of characters on the pregame show and good in game anchors.

#5 NFL network. aftter Schefter walked they lost the one thing they had over ESPN and thats brakeing news first and thats what you want from a all football network with out that there is no reason to watch them... and there anchors have to big of egos bad mix of characters and most of them are way to bias to there old teams

1. NBCThose weird "tiny football league" things they do at halftime seem pretty pointless.
I forgot about that and I hate it! That waste of time could have been devoted to highlights for the people that didn't catch the game.

I remember last week they didn't even show the Pats-Bears highlights and the Pats are the best team in the AFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back